Jets didn't think Leon Washington would be ready for season, Seahawks did

Jetfan13

I was happy to see Leon do well.. but he always seemed an underdog. He was a small guy able to get it done with scrambling. But now he's an underdog with a questionable leg.

He might still be good, but I think the odds are long he'll be great....and right now the Jets need great.

I think Seattle got a pretty good deal there. Washington was not needed by the Jets, and Pete Carroll had more holes to fill than he could have through the draft alone. Seems like a decent deal for both clubs.

I hope Leon excels for the Hawks. Maybe they can challange San Fran and Zona in that division (probably depends a lot on their level of QB play)?

Best case for Leon is mixed results this year. Athletes coming back from a major injury usually take about a season to return to previous form. And that is the best case.

So after a season of average (for Leon) performance, Keels will be asking for big $ and Leon is a FA.

Seattle has more holes than a Swiss cheese. That's why they didn't take McKnight. Further, they have no expectation of winning this year. Their target is 2011. So they have a year with Leon, can assess his progress and decide to spend the $ going into 2011 (or not). Cost to them is minimal--and they gained a pick in a deep draft.

Had the Jets kept Leon, they have a year of mixed performance and then lose Leon as a FA. Cost to keep Leon is high.

McKnight gives Jets a chance to have a good replacement for Leon with much lower cost.

Seattle's medical staff thinks he'll be ready. Ours doesn't. One of these teams has been supernaturally good at avoiding major injuries with its starters missing the fewest games in the league in the past year, two years, three years, four years, or whatever timeframe you'd care to use. The other hasn't lined up the same group of offensive linemen and wide receivers in consecutive games across roughly the same span. That last part is a slight exaggeration, but come on. If I were a betting man -- and I am -- I'd bet everything I own on death.

Archived