#1 reason Herm has to be canned

Preston Howley III

He recharged the defense with youth.

What I'm worried most about right now is the fact that if it takes 2-3 years to retool the offense.

i.e (Chrebet, Martin, Mawae, Kendall gone) by the time these guys are replaced the Defense will probably start going south.

It looks like we are stuck on the vicious cycle of mediocrity.

it seems like we are always looking for an infusion of youth... didn't we just get young on defense? How much younger can the team get, i think outside of a few vets they are already among the league's youngest.

what they NEED is a real QB. Great coaches need great players to win championships. Lombardi needed Starr. Parcells needed LT. Bellichek needed Brady.

Without a real Qb this team isn't going anywhere. And they can't cut Chad and draft another one that would take up like 1/3 of the cap.

Red herring. We've been down this road soooooooooo many times. I'm sure the new GM will narrow it down to somebody who is qualified. I don't want another Jesse Jackson rubber stamped HC fast tracked up the NFL's minority coaching program.

Does that narrow it down, some?

On my short list for thenext Jet GM.

Chuck Bresnahan

Brad Childress

Gary Kubiak

Al Saunders

Dan Henning.

it seems like we are always looking for an infusion of youth... didn't we just get young on defense? How much younger can the team get, i think outside of a few vets they are already among the league's youngest.

what they NEED is a real QB. Great coaches need great players to win championships. Lombardi needed Starr. Parcells needed LT. Bellichek needed Brady.

Without a real Qb this team isn't going anywhere. And they can't cut Chad and draft another one that would take up like 1/3 of the cap.

Real quick 'cos I want to nip this in the bud:

Hypothetical situation, I can give Herm 11 new starters on offense. All rookies or 2nd an 3rd year players.

You're comfortable with Herm being the HC? He's going to be the guy to shape and mold them?

Herm doesn't deserve more years. Time to move on.

And that was done overnight?

Somewhat. The guys they added last year. Barton, Vilma, Coleman and most important Henderson helped make a defense that had grown old and slow, young fast and aggresive.

Look at the young guys producing right now. Most are on the D.

Coleman

Robertson

Rhodes

Vilma

Hobson

Brown

how many offensive players have come out of the last couple of drafts and are producing like these guys are.

Other than Pete Kendall what FA offensive player has come in as a free agent and an impact ? McCarins might be the only one.

Sadly it looks like while the Jets have done a good job rebuilding the Defense they let the offense go to $hit and it is not going to get fixed in one season. It could take two maybe three and by the time it does get good the Defense will start sliding.

Real quick 'cos I want to nip this in the bud:

Hypothetical situation, I can give Herm 11 new starters on offense. All rookies or 2nd an 3rd year players.

You're comfortable with Herm being the HC? He's going to be the guy to shape and mold them?

Herm doesn't deserve more years. Time to move on.

Considering what has been done on the defensive side of the football I would be.

hahaha, maybe u have it wrong,, great players need great coaches

I agree on the fact that the whole Pennington fiasco falls on Herm's and Bradway's head. We didn't know (or just didn't want to believe) that Pennington had not fully recovered from last season's surgery.

I cannot and will not put Pennington coming back last season on their head because I don't remember ANYONE saying that when Chad came back for the Texans game that they should shut him down for the rest of the season. That's football you take the good with the bad.

I digress though :lol:

This is what I know.

In 2003 the Jets D was old and slow at the linebacker spot and in the secondary. Gone were old stalwarts like Mo and Marvin, and guys who just didn't have it anymore (Garnes, Beasley)in their place came the Defensive ROY (Vilma) Barton and Barrett thru FA and a nice safety in Coleman. You also had guys like Hobson and Brown step up and all of sudden a defense that couldn't stop anyone was stopping people and playing with grit and determination.

I give Donnie Henderson alot of credit for that but you also have to give Herm some credit for engineering that turnaround.

Now can Dinger, Herm and Bradway do the same with the offense ?

Yes but it may take some time. If you get some young studs on OL instead of wastoids and throwaway picks like the Knish then yeah it can be done.

Rebuild the OL and the rest starts to fall into place.

Yes but it may take some time. If you get some young studs on OL instead of wastoids and throwaway picks like the Knish then yeah it can be done.

Rebuild the OL and the rest starts to fall into place.

I'm happy with Bradway's drafting for the most part....what worries me for next year is that the one position he hasn't been able to strike gold with is the one he now needs to address - offensive line.

He seems to want to find these diamonds in the rough for the most part. Lets take some OL on Day 1 of the draft next year.

I'm happy with Bradway's drafting for the most part....what worries me for next year is that the one position he hasn't been able to strike gold with is the one he now needs to address - offensive line.

He seems to want to find these diamonds in the rough for the most part. Lets take some OL on Day 1 of the draft next year.

He has done a nice job that last two years but like I said most have been on the Defensive side of the football. Now he is going to have to concentrate on the offensive side and get some stud OL.

I don't think alot of us saw this coming but we should have. The signs were there last year when we played a team with a big time defense. The Jets along with alot of us here chose to ignore it or hope that we could get at least another year out of guys like Fabini. Mawae's injury is unfortunate, Jones is a pup that is getting better with each game. Moore I'm not crazy about and Kendall is getting older.

That football. You can't hold onto the past and it is probably time to cut bait on guys like Kendall, Chrebet, and possibly Martin and Mawae as well.

He recharged the defense with youth.

What I'm worried most about right now is the fact that if it takes 2-3 years to retool the offense.

i.e (Chrebet, Martin, Mawae, Kendall gone) by the time these guys are replaced the Defense will probably start going south.

It looks like we are stuck on the vicious cycle of mediocrity.

Donnie re-charged the defense with youth. Prior to that, Herm wouldn't play a rookie unless the 18-year veteran in front of him developed rigor mortis.

The 2006 Jets are going to require an infusion of youth.

If it's one thing Herm has demonstrated over the past 5 seasons, is partiality towards veterans. He is not the guy I want taking over the new team.

And what happened to the defense in the last few years?

Enough youth for you?

Please. Go back to the Herm Haters Book of Bad Logical Connectors and try again.

Here is one:

Reason #323: Herm spelled backwards is Mreh which is Polish for losing.

BZ

And what happened to the defense in the last few years?

Enough youth for you?

What about the first 3 seasons Herm was HC? Conveniently forget that (rhetorical question)? The guys been here FIVE YEARS and he finally starts a linebacker who wasn't old enough to remember when Michael Jackson was a black man, and not a white woman? It's time to celebrate the progress learn while you earn Herm is making! Maybe by 2011, he'll have mastered calling appropriate time outs.

Aside from Law, this defense is 100% youth.

Vilma, Drob, Ellis, Abraham, Coleman, Rhodes, Barton, Hobson, Brown, Barrett.

This defense has a cornerstone for the next 5 years.

But we need to start building the offense like we did to the defense.

And basically, yes, the defense was done overnight. In 1 offseason, they went from old and slow and horrible, to young and fast and top 5 defense.

Mawae, Kendall and Fabini will all likely be cut.

Kendall can be replaced fairly easily.

Fabini is horrible, I'd rather have a 3 legged dog at right tackle than Jason Fabini

Mawae will hurt, but I love that minnesota center, Eslinger I think is his name. That would be great to draft him.

Goodwin has shown he can start, and Adrian Jones can only get better. Brandon Moore is solid.

I think Cedric can be our main guy in 2006, but will he ever get that chance?

Coles and JMac are a fine duo. Cotchery has gotten stronger, and should start getting more playing time.

WE NEED A QUARTERBACK

After yesterday's postgame, it seemed like Edwards himself has had about enough. First time I can ever recall him being that rote, down and empty-fireless. He can leave now, still go work with Dungy to build back his rep and find some sucker to buy his snake oil a few years down the road before they discover he's a joke. But I don't see now from his perspective how a 2006 Jets squad-no QB,ancient Martin, Mawae gone, Abraham's contract mess again, Robertson's knee, killer cap-is appealing to him career-wise. Unless he looks forward to doing a Kotite, become a national joke at 1-15 or 2-14 and wind up doing pre and postgame for some NFL or NCAA team for a pittance. (Kotite does the Ravens radio.)Because no matter who's the coach, 2006 is looking like a perfect storm-type disaster.

Bad news though-his motivational speaker bookings are off, but he figures to be very available around 1/2/2006.

Aside from Law, this defense is 100% youth.

Vilma, Drob, Ellis, Abraham, Coleman, Rhodes, Barton, Hobson, Brown, Barrett.

This defense has a cornerstone for the next 5 years.

And basically, yes, the defense was done overnight. In 1 offseason, they went from old and slow and horrible, to young and fast and top 5 defense.

Herm's been here 5 years. Why couldn't they do this "overnight" transition in 2002? 2003?

Pre-occupation with taking a wrecking ball to the 0-line? Mission accomplished.

The 2006 Jets are going to require an infusion of youth.

If it's one thing Herm has demonstrated over the past 5 seasons, is partiality towards veterans. He is not the guy I want taking over the new team.

He finally did go with youth on D and there was a big improvement. If given 2 yrs to blow up the offense the same way he'll have himself quite a squad. It'll take some time with the cap situation but he needs to replace some old/slow guys. Noone else will be able to do it before then, so might as well stick with who we have. You Herm-Haters still haven't come up with the experienced winner, can't-lose guy that's available. That's it, I'm out of the club. You clowns need to get your act together. As bad as he's looked, Herm has given us as much chance to win IN HIS TENURE, than all but TWO other guys. Herm Rules. Face it.

Herm's been here 5 years. Why couldn't they do this "overnight" transition in 2002? 2003?

Pre-occupation with taking a wrecking ball to the 0-line? Mission accomplished.

Our defense got old fast, in the 2003 season.

They were still decent in 2002 and played great down the stretch, so Herm stuck with it I guess.

They fell off in 2003, much like our offensive line in 2005, and it was completely revamped in the offseason.

Hopefully we can do the same, and get great results again.

Our defense got old fast, in the 2003 season.

They were still decent in 2002 and played great down the stretch, so Herm stuck with it I guess.

They fell off in 2003, much like our offensive line in 2005, and it was completely revamped in the offseason.

Hopefully we can do the same, and get great results again.

So that whole "Aaron Beasley/Sam Garnes/Josh Evans" period was just a goof.

So that whole "Aaron Beasley/Sam Garnes/Josh Evans" period was just a goof.

How long did that last? :?

Give Herm alittle credit. There are alot of teams who defenses have SUCKED BIG TIME for seasons after seasons and nothing changed, see Chiefs Vermeil, Rams Martz and Colts Dungy.

Archived