Who Starts At LG In 2010?

TNJet

starts at LG in 2010??  

1 member has voted

1. 1. starts at LG in 2010??

• Matt Slauson
    • Vladimir Ducasse

Ducasse...we were close to trading up to grab him. It shows that there wasn't much confidence that Slauson could fill in for Faneca and Ducasse surely isn't a second rounder just for depth.

Seconded. After rarely seeing the field last year do you really see Slauson stepping his game up enough to beat out raw talent? There is a reason why he was drafted in the 6th and Vlad in the 2nd!

Seconded. After rarely seeing the field last year do you really see Slauson stepping his game up enough to beat out raw talent? There is a reason why he was drafted in the 6th and Vlad in the 2nd!

very true but wasn't there a certain new england QB that was drafted in the 6th round who did pretty well for himself?

They will start The Clap to get him ready for the playoffs. This team is good enough to make the playoffs with rookie starters here and there. Once the Jets are in the playoffs they will need to put their most talented players on the field to get by the elite teams. So start VD and get him ready.

I would not be surprised if it's Slauson. OL can be developed, and he's been developing. Jets do a lot of zone blocking, and ask their guards to pull a lot. Vlad never did anything like that as a LT in college.

Ducasse is a raw talent who could be a beast at guard or tackle in the future. It's possible that Slauson starts the season and Ducasse finishes it, it's also possible that Ducasse finishes Woody's season at RT, too.

I think it's Slauson mostly because I don't think the Jets would have released Faneca while banking on a raw player learning a new position. Now it's more than merely possible that Ducasse starts - I'm sure it's truly 50/50 - but I think that for 2010 Vlad provided the LG insurance they needed to cut Faneca rather than the starter they needed.

If Callahan didn't believe Slauson could legitimately start this year I don't think they would have cut Faneca even after drafting Ducasse.

Ducasse may be more innately talented than Slauson, but that doesn't mean he'd be a better LG in 2010.

Yes. 50% chance Ducasse starts, 50% chance Slauson makes the roster.

You really believe that?

I don't know what's in the collective heads of Tannenbaum, Ryan, Callahan, and Schottenheimer. But I don't think they'd go into the season with one ridiculously raw rookie as the only viable option for the starting LG position.

The only way Slauson doesn't make the 53-man roster is if he's injured. Callahan's coached the guy for 4 years; plenty long enough to know what he is. If they were going to cut him this year they would have cut him already.

You really believe that?

I don't know what's in the collective heads of Tannenbaum, Ryan, Callahan, and Schottenheimer. But I don't think they'd go into the season with one ridiculously raw rookie as the only viable option for the starting LG position.

The only way Slauson doesn't make the 53-man roster is if he's injured. Callahan's coached the guy for 4 years; plenty long enough to know what he is. If they were going to cut him this year they would have cut him already.

You're ignoring the fact that there were already two guys ahead of Slauson when we drafted Ducasse. Hunter and Turner may not be superstars, but they're good enough that we consistently found ways to get them onto the field despite a starting five that played 35 straight games and reasonable alternatives for extra blockers like Richardson and Hartsock. Slauson only even saw the field when a starter got dinged with Turner already inactive due to injury. Why do you think he's even the alternative to Ducasse?

You're ignoring the fact that there were already two guys ahead of Slauson when we drafted Ducasse. Hunter and Turner may not be superstars, but they're good enough that we consistently found ways to get them onto the field despite a starting five that played 35 straight games and reasonable alternatives for extra blockers like Richardson and Hartsock. Slauson only even saw the field when a starter got dinged with Turner already inactive due to injury. Why do you think he's even the alternative to Ducasse?

Rex already announced the competition is between Slauson and Ducasse.

Great. Still waiting to hear the result of that Clemens/Ratliff quarterback competition he announced last year.

That was before the draft when announcements affect draft-day trades. And if not for Mangini's presence in Cleveland, it probably would have gone down just that way.

This announcement was after the draft. So unless he's saying things to mask his desire to add another left guard through trade or FA, it's not the same type of comparison.

What was he going to say before the draft last year: announce that come hell or high water we're going to trade up in the draft to grab Sanchez?

If Slauson doesn't make the roster, I owe you a Coke.

I'm with Bit and Aten on this one. I think it's Ducasse's job all the way. They aren't working him at LG to groom him. If he weren't going to start he'd probably be playing tackle. I also have Turner ahead of Slauson. I think of Hunter as a tackle, so I discount him. I don't really see Slauson getting cut though. Ducasse takes Faneca's spot and they didn't add any linemen of note. The only thing that points to Slauson is that they were supposedly looking to move Faneca before the draft. That means they didn't know Ducasse would be available and maybe they did like their current crop.

I'm with Bit and Aten on this one. I think it's Ducasse's job all the way. They aren't working him at LG to groom him. If he weren't going to start he'd probably be playing tackle. I also have Turner ahead of Slauson. I think of Hunter as a tackle, so I discount him. I don't really see Slauson getting cut though. Ducasse takes Faneca's spot and they didn't add any linemen of note. The only thing that points to Slauson is that they were supposedly looking to move Faneca before the draft. That means they didn't know Ducasse would be available and maybe they did like their current crop.

It's another reason. Hey, I don't care who wins it out. I just think it's 50/50, and Ducasse was doubly attractive as a LG prospect who could also be a RT (or possibly a LT prospect if we find out Ferguson also wants $20M per season).

I think if the team thinks Turner is still ahead of Slauson they would have mentioned a 3-way competition for the LG slot rather than a 2-way. Of course that could also mean they're really pushing for Ducasse to win it by making him only beat out one guy.

We'll see. As long as the winner earns it and isn't just the best option among bad options, we're all happy.

Matt is already lightyears ahead of Vlad as far as knowing the schemes. I'd say Slauson will start the season at LG. That may change later on though depending on performance. Vlad is easily more athletic and i love his potential. Look for Ducasse to start at RT in 2011,while Slaus starts at LG.

I don't see how anyone can be sure that it will be one vs the other. I am pretty sure the Jets don't know. If Vlad progresses quickly, it will be him. I am sure Slauson showed enough in practice for the Jets to believe he can hold the fort until Vlad is ready, or they would not have cut Fanaca. TC and pre-season will decide. The bottom line is whether you are a marginally talented second year player or a rookie with some upside, playing LG in between D'Brick and Mangold is not the worst way to get started.

Considering we were targetting Ducasse at 29, I'd say the Jets were high enough on him to immediately insert him into the lineup.

That being said, I really like the idea of Slauson getting plugged in at LG and Ducasse being our new RT, either when Woody gets hurt/regresses in 2010, or as the outright starter in 2011.

In short, I think it will be Ducasse but I WANT it to be Slauson.

Considering we were targetting Ducasse at 29, I'd say the Jets were high enough on him to immediately insert him into the lineup.

That being said, I really like the idea of Slauson getting plugged in at LG and Ducasse being our new RT, either when Woody gets hurt/regresses in 2010, or as the outright starter in 2011.

In short, I think it will be Ducasse but I WANT it to be Slauson.

+1

I would not be surprised if it's Slauson. OL can be developed, and he's been developing. Jets do a lot of zone blocking, and ask their guards to pull a lot. Vlad never did anything like that as a LT in college.

Ducasse is a raw talent who could be a beast at guard or tackle in the future. It's possible that Slauson starts the season and Ducasse finishes it, it's also possible that Ducasse finishes Woody's season at RT, too.

For the win. Ducasse has a lot of learning to do with the zones that Callahan runs.

I don't see how anyone can be sure that it will be one vs the other. I am pretty sure the Jets don't know. If Vlad progresses quickly, it will be him. I am sure Slauson showed enough in practice for the Jets to believe he can hold the fort until Vlad is ready, or they would not have cut Fanaca. TC and pre-season will decide. The bottom line is whether you are a marginally talented second year player or a rookie with some upside, playing LG in between D'Brick and Mangold is not the worst way to get started.

I agree with the first part... but I also think that Ducasse was drafted to be Woody's replacement, not Faneca's.

Slauson took 1st team snaps next to Mangold today.

I think it's Slauson mostly because I don't think the Jets would have released Faneca while banking on a raw player learning a new position. Now it's more than merely possible that Ducasse starts - I'm sure it's truly 50/50 - but I think that for 2010 Vlad provided the LG insurance they needed to cut Faneca rather than the starter they needed.

If Callahan didn't believe Slauson could legitimately start this year I don't think they would have cut Faneca even after drafting Ducasse.

Ducasse may be more innately talented than Slauson, but that doesn't mean he'd be a better LG in 2010.

have to agree with this. besides no one knows how a raw talent like ducasse will develop. he may be great one day, but just not for this season.

have to agree with this. besides no one knows how a raw talent like ducasse will develop. he may be great one day, but just not for this season.

Hey, Ducasse could be great and he could be great right away. But given that he's not necessarily your typical "step right in and start" draftee I think they view Slauson as - at a minimum - a viable backup plan to start the season.

Archived