Falcons want new stadium- want to play outdoors

Lil Bit Special

Yankee Stadium opened in 1923 and closed in 2008 (85 years).

Giants Stadium opened in 1976 and closed in 2009 (33 years).

The RCA dome opened in 1984 and closed in 2008 (though the Colts moved out after 2007, 24 years).

So now a dome that was opened in 1992 is already outdated enough to the point that they are actively looking for a new home 18 years later :confused0085:? It seems like as time has gone along, the lives of these stadiums is lasting less and less.

So are the Jets and Giants going to look to move out of NMS in 2020 (ten years)? I kid, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

ATL in September is hotter than hell.

That stadium is also on the new side.

No, Phoenix in July is hotter than hell. ATL in september is just humid, and it's not really any worse than Miami. I've lived in Atlanta for a while now.

Not to mention some of the best summer time eye candy EVER.

And spring time and winter... (well, at least the winter eye candy is better than up north)

If I am not mistaken, I was at the first game played there. It was the Falcons Vs NY JETS!

But they lost.

I have no memory of this event but I was told by my father "it was meh".

I believe that Browning Nagle threw for over 300 yards in the Jets loss.

I believe that Browning Nagle threw for over 300 yards in the Jets loss.

Nagle passed for 366 yards

multiple terrible calls went against the Jets

Johnny Mitchell got injured and missed a big chunk of the season

Jets 17, Falcons 20

Different type all together.

Enjoy Miami chicks, I'll stick with the Georgia Peaches.

True that - you can't go wrong either way. I travel to both cities quite often, and I grant you the Hotlanta chicks have the better looks overall, but the Miami babes have the best bodies anywhere (at least on the East coast).

The only team that has and should stay with a dome is the Vikings. Everyone else should be outdoors.

Disagree here. Football is supposed to be played in the cold and in the snow. If anywhere, domes are better served in the south and southwest where it can be quite hot in Sep and Oct. Personally, I'd rather there not be any domes.

Disagree here. Football is supposed to be played in the cold and in the snow. If anywhere, domes are better served in the south and southwest where it can be quite hot in Sep and Oct. Personally, I'd rather there not be any domes.

It gets crazy in Minny. If I was a player, I would definitely not wanna play outdoors in Minny.

I thought Nagles only good game was against SF? Did he actually have 2 good games?

The only time Nagle played against the 49ers was when he was with the Falcons. He came off the bench in a blowout to throw 5 passes in garbage time.

You may have confused Nagle with Glenn Foley who had a great game vs the 49ers in 1998.

Nagle's best game was his first career start. He was 21 of 37 for 366 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs vs Atlanta in 1992. I looked up those stats and confirmed that the yardage I posted last night was correct.

The RCA dome opened in 1984 and closed in 2008 (though the Colts moved out after 2007, 24 years).

So now a dome that was opened in 1992 is already outdated enough to the point that they are actively looking for a new home 18 years later :confused0085:? It seems like as time has gone along, the lives of these stadiums is lasting less and less.

So are the Jets and Giants going to look to move out of NMS in 2020 (ten years)? I kid, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

This is exactly what I took out of this article. Its ridiculous how short the lifespan of stadiums have become... and owners want to hit us up for PSL's for a stadium that we have no clue how long it will be good for? Another reason why I didnt want to get mixed up with PSL's.

It gets cold there and they have ice storms.

Yes it gets cold there at times, but if they can have a stadium in the elements in GreenBay, Atlanta should be no problem. They have nice weather most of the time.

I agree with you. But when you compare the stadiums that have been built in the last few years to the Georgia Dome, the place (which was state of the art when it opened 18 years ago) doesn't come close to measuring up.

My question is have the Falcons built their brand up strong enough in Atlanta to pull this off? I don't think they have. Can you really justify demanding public money for a new stadium when you struggle to routinely sell out the one you currently have?

Last Ice storm was the famous (for GA) Blizzard of 93.

We did just have a crazy flood. And a tornado hit the GA Dome.

Maybe we do have F'ed up weather?

I saw on the news that they had ice storms in Atlanta this winter. They always happened when I lived there and are a pretty frequent occurrence.

Jan 2000 http://www.disasternews.net/news/article.php?articleid=503

Dec 2005 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_storm_of_December_2005

Jan 2006 http://www.examiner.com/x-4648-Atlanta-Weather-Examiner~y2010m1d31-Big-southern-United-States-snow-and-ice-storm-includes-North-Georgia

Yes it gets cold there at times, but if they can have a stadium in the elements in GreenBay, Atlanta should be no problem. They have nice weather most of the time.

People in Atlanta dont deal with the cold well at all. The mention of snow and ice sends them to buy up all the milk, bread and gasoline in the city. They cant drive to begin with and any ice on the roads is a recipe for disaster.

They wouldnt last a week in GB.

Their weather's A TON better than GB's that's for sure. Football was made to be played in the elements. I remember George Allen taking the Rams to Minny for playoff games in like -15 degrees. That's what we grew up with. THAT'S football.

Archived