Keller ready for Breakout Year

flgreen

Keller ready for a breakout year

June, 6, 2010 Jun 6

7:19

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Sunday notes to enjoy in between World Cup preview sections:

Special K. After two solid seasons, including an impressive, three-game stretch in last year's postseason, TE Dustin Keller is ready for big things in 2010. "Expect a big-time player," Keller said Thursday at OTAs. "Definitely, this will be my best year. Statistically, who knows? But I'm going to be more ready than I ever have been."

Brash talk from the usually understated Keller. The question is, how many balls will he see?

It will be fascinating to see how Keller fits into the passing game now that QB Mark Sanchez has three front-line options at wide receiver -- Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and newcomer Santonio Holmes.

There are two schools of thought: 1. Keller will benefit because defenses will be rolling their coverages to the outside, creating favorable matchups for him over the middle. 2. Keller won't get as many opportunities because he'll be No. 4 in the pecking order, behind the three wideouts.

What will it be? Keller admitted he's not sure how it's going to shake out, noting, "We're returning the top rushing offense and we brought in Santonio Holmes. We have one of the best receiving corps, if not the best. We'll have a more balanced attack so people can't load the box, but we'll see when training camp starts how it plays out."

In other words, Keller isn't counting his receptions before they're hatched. But if called upon, he expects to deliver. He said O.C. Brian Schottenheimer has talked to him about expanding his role, lining him up in different spots in the formation. In theory, that should make it more difficult for defenses to focus on him. Keller also said they've adjusted some of his routes, providing more freedom to change on the fly.

The challenge for Schottenheimer is to keep everybody happy. Keller played about 70% of the snaps last season, often in a two-TE package in Ben Hartsock. This season, that package could be used less frequently, which could hurt the running game. Look for a lot of the "11" personnel package -- one back, one tight end and three receivers.

"I think it will be kind of a pick-your-poison situation," said Keller, who posted 12 catches and three TDs during the postseason, the first time all year he appeared in sync with Sanchez.

Laying down the Law. Former star CB Ty Law, who has played for what seems like half the teams in the NFL (including the New York Jets and New England Patriots), weighed in on the Darrelle Revis contract dispute. Speaking to Matt Williamson on an ESPN podcast, Law said Revis is the best cornerback in football and that corners around the league are upset by Revis' current situation. Disclaimer: Law and Revis are close friends from Aliquippa, Pa.

"There's no way he's supposed to go out there and play for $550,000 ($1 million with bonuses) when you've got a guy like Nnamdi Asomugha making $15 million," Law said. "That doesn't sit well with Darrelle and the rest of the corners around the league."

Law said Revis "is worth the fortune because he's the best cornerback in football, if not the best defensive player. The reason I say that is because he has no glaring weakness ... The coach (Rex Ryan) goes on record, calling him the best defensive back since Deion Sanders and says he's more valuable to (his) defense than the great Ray Lewis. So, of course, Darrelle says, 'If I'm that valuable, show me the money.'"

Law continued: "Revis Island was one of those destinations you could go to on a discount. Not too many knew about it, but guess what? Everybody knows about Revis Island now and the rent went up. Everybody is trying to go there now."

Everybody over Mark's place. Sanchez is planning to invite the receivers to his place in Southern California for a pitch-and-catch session before training camp. He used to do it all the time in college, but the logistics were easier because USC was only an hour from his house.

Nevertheless, he wants to make it happen, especially because of the inactivity due to his knee rehab. He wants to "make up for a little lost time ... and make sure we

On Keller: not for nuthin' but that's the same stuff they were saying about him last year at this time and he caught 3 less passes than he did his rookie year.

2009 New York Jets 45-522 11.6 2 TDs

2008 New York Jets 48-535 11.1 3 TDs

On Keller: not for nuthin' but that's the same stuff they were saying about him last year at this time and he caught 3 less passes than he did his rookie year.

2009 New York Jets 45-522 11.6 2 TDs

2008 New York Jets 48-535 11.1 3 TDs

He caught 3 less passes despite being the starter all season, which he wasn't as a rookie. He even got quasi-benched for a while in '08.

He did have an inaccurate rookie QB in '09. One who attempted the fewest passes of any starter over his 15 games. Plus throw in one game of Clemens on a 1-foot leash.

We'll see. His lack of increase in production from '08 to '09 wasn't due to a lack of talent. Personally I don't give a crap what his individual fantasy football numbers are. If he's running the right patterns, shaking loose of coverage, and catching catchable passes we'll win a lot of games with a TE weapon like that no matter what his year-end gross numbers are.

He caught 3 less passes despite being the starter all season, which he wasn't as a rookie. He even got quasi-benched for a while in '08.

He did have an inaccurate rookie QB in '09. One who attempted the fewest passes of any starter over his 15 games. Plus throw in one game of Clemens on a 1-foot leash.

We'll see. His lack of increase in production from '08 to '09 wasn't due to a lack of talent. Personally I don't give a crap what his individual fantasy football numbers are. If he's running the right patterns, shaking loose of coverage, and catching catchable passes we'll win a lot of games with a TE weapon like that no matter what his year-end gross numbers are.

yea I agree SE, but everybody talking about him like he's in the same league with Witten, Clark, Gates, Gonzalez, Vernon Gates and even Zack or Heath Miller's are just peering through greencolored glasses-which Jets fans have been known to do from time to time

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=TE&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

yea I agree SE, but everybody talking about him like he's in the same league with Witten, Clark, Gates, Gonzalez, Vernon Gates and even Zack or Heath Miller's are just peering through greencolored glasses-which Jets fans have been known to do from time to time

All Jets are the greatest ever except for the ones who are the worst ever.

Keller seems to be saying that he knows he might not improve statistically, but that he'll be an improved player. That's the right attitude. During Holmes' suspension, he's going to be called on a lot. By then, Sanchez might be used to him as a security blanket.

Only way Keller has a breakout year is IF Sanchez learns to throw to him. Favre utilizes the TE the way its supposed to be used we saw that during Favres short stint here.

I think a lot of that is on Brian Schottenheimer Veej...Sanchez DID utilize Keller in the playoffs and got some scores out of it. Let's hope our OC remembers that the 1st month of the season when we play 4 really tough games (without Santonio), 3 of which will be against our division rivals

I think a lot of that is on Brian Schottenheimer Veej...Sanchez DID utilize Keller in the playoffs and got some scores out of it. Let's hope our OC remembers that the 1st month of the season when we play 4 really tough games (without Santonio), 3 of which will be against our division rivals

That's right Jimmy, a lot depends on Schottenheimer. We have a lot of weapons for Sanchez to utilize...which include Cotch, Edwards, Holmes, Keller and LT coming out of the backfield. If the opposition has the defensive players and schemes to cover all this ****, more power to them...but, a lot depends on how Schotty utilizes these toys he has as well.

I dont if its B. Schitt or Keller, but the kid disappears in some games. Seems like both years he was utilized a lot in stretches of games but then seemingly forgotten in game plans. Very frustrating because I think he's a talented player who can stretch the field and should be a favorite target for Sanchez.

Should be interesting to see how he works in the offense with the addition of Holmes and LT.

Edwards, Keller, and Cotchery....that is going to be one scary threesome IMO. Keller's going to be huge this year*. I'm still stunned that more wasn't made of the game winning catch (and throw) in SD. It was by far the best play of the season for the offense, and a true sign that the rookie QB just might be alright.

* This is contingent on Schotty calling the right plays.

Edwards, Keller, and Cotchery....that is going to be one scary threesome IMO. Keller's going to be huge this year*. I'm still stunned that more wasn't made of the game winning catch (and throw) in SD. It was by far the best play of the season for the offense, and a true sign that the rookie QB just might be alright.

* This is contingent on Schotty calling the right plays.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but its not a scary group at all. IMO every team in the league will be begging you guys to throw the ball. Ferguson-LG-Mangold-Moore-Woody, now thats the group thats going to keep defensive coordinators up at night.

I thought Keller made some big plays against Houston. That was possibly our best game of the regular season. Schotty better not blow it this year man. I don't think he has too many strikes left.

Keller was also awesome in the playoff run!

Sorry to dissapoint you, but its not a scary group at all. IMO every team in the league will be begging you guys to throw the ball. Ferguson-LG-Mangold-Moore-Woody, now thats the group thats going to keep defensive coordinators up at night.

Edwards-Cotchery-Keller-Holmes is not scary? HA!

I guess B. Marshall and a bunch of # 2's are scarier. :face:

Lol...I believe it. When the guy expected to be the 4th or 5th best player in the passing game was a pretty good team's #1 (Holmes) there's talent.

This group also blows away your passing games talent.

This Asomugha contract is the whole problem. Part of me believes aldavis did it just to screw with the Jets. Intentional or not this is the worst thing al has ever done to the Jets. Hurry up and die Al.

I don't know why the Jets offered to redo Revis' contract with THREE years left. That just doesn't make sense.

It took Mickey Shuler till his 7th year to do what Keller did as a rookie..

Archived