Question on the Revis business

jeti_knight

Im just curious maybe someone can answer this. Why dont the jets give revis his well deserved money already? With camp comming up soon and hard knocks invading it will be a nightmare to deal with. Why not give your best player what he wants, i mean they already pissed off the team by cutting Faneca. I read somewhere on JN that the jets did not even contact revis yet about the contract. Sorry for another revis post but i honestly just dont get it, can anyone help ?:confused:

Im just curious maybe someone can answer this. Why dont the jets give revis his well deserved money already? With camp comming up soon and hard knocks invading it will be a nightmare to deal with. Why not give your best player what he wants, i mean they already pissed off the team by cutting Faneca. I read somewhere on JN that the jets did not even contact revis yet about the contract. Sorry for another revis post but i honestly just dont get it, can anyone help ?:confused:

1) This is called negotiating... you just don't give someone exactly what they ask for.

2) What about in 2011 when there is a cap, and we need to cut 3 people because of this contract... will you say the same tune then?

3) With the NFL's 30% rule, it's not so easy to give him a raise.

you are right there is no good reason why Darrelle Revis isn't the highest paid defender in the league right now. He's the best defender in the league he should be paid as such. The deal is relatively easy and should have been done months ago. Mangold too.

Im leaning towards "the Jets ownership is cash poor and stalling" as an answer to your question. I don't know when's the last time Woody got a check for band-aids. But it was probably decades ago. He has to be staring at 9 figures of debt on the stadium (that's hundreds of millions of dollars) 10k PSLs are unsold and no naming sponsor... all this adds up to tough talk about 30% rule and other BS... it's a stall.

you can choose not to believe me but the fact is the Jets haven't actually paid anyone for a long time.

you are right there is no good reason why Darrelle Revis isn't the highest paid defender in the league right now. He's the best defender in the league he should be paid as such. The deal is relatively easy and should have been done months ago. Mangold too.

Im leaning towards "the Jets ownership is cash poor and stalling" as an answer to your question. I don't know when's the last time Woody got a check for band-aids. But it was probably decades ago. He has to be staring at 9 figures of debt on the stadium (that's hundreds of millions of dollars) 10k PSLs are unsold and no naming sponsor... all this adds up to tough talk about 30% rule and other BS... it's a stall.

you can choose not to believe me but the fact is the Jets haven't actually paid anyone for a long time.

Right. Billionaire Woody Johnson has no money left. He spent and spent and didn't plan on needing to pay players whose contracts were coming up. Very shortsighted of him. You figured it out.

Things like a 30% rule and not knowing what the future cap limits are going to be are BS reasons because the Jets don't have to adhere to league rules like other teams.

Right. Billionaire Woody Johnson has no money left. He spent and spent and didn't plan on needing to pay players whose contracts were coming up. Very shortsighted of him. You figured it out.

Things like a 30% rule and not knowing what the future cap limits are going to be are BS reasons because the Jets don't have to adhere to league rules like other teams.

i dont know that he's broke maybe he's just lost his stomach for it

serious question what's the last move the Jets made that cost em money? is it safe to say it's been over a year?

Yeah man, I have no more tears for Woody Johnson's bank account.

j&j-shampoo.jpg

:rl:

I kill me.

serious question what's the last move the Jets made that cost em money? is it safe to say it's been over a year?

dude !!!!

they know they have a ton of guys coming up for extensions, and believe it or not, they are planning for it !!!

c'mon man !!!!

Sorry, did you say he's just lost his stomach for it? So he was into it through losing seasons and firing head coaches and tons of nonsense. But now, 6 months after we had a halftime lead in the AFC Championship Game, with the most talented roster the franchise has ever had in its history, he's now lost his stomach for it?

That's really your answer?

crying.gif

:face:

This may be your worst theory yet.

Lowering the price of PSL's. This will mean the Jets will be carrying more interest on the stadium than they planed to when it was built. Operating costs will be higher than anticipated. Fans get the benifit of lower cost to enter the stadium but the teams operating cost goes up.

Affordability of enjoying games is a directly associated with operating costs. If player salaries keep going up, operating costs keep going up. Discounting PSL's today will be offset down the road with excalating ticket prices to PSL owners. Many people buying PSL's today at a discount will lose them outright or be forced to sell them as a direct result of player greed.

Either the players get real or there will be less teams, no draft and a corporate only entry. The players and the teams are partners today because of the need for Union contracts. Revis is as much the man as Woody is the man because essentially they are partners. The more each of them make is a direct result of what they each can squeeze from the fan base. Ultimately it's not the Jets that pay Revis it's the Jets fans.

Dude, please stop making the trolls look smart.

This is your idea of a serious question? You tried this before and it was already answered.

Trading a 4th round pick for Cromartie cost the Jets more money this year. Should the Jets keep him past this season it's costs a hell of a lot more money still.

Trading a 5th round pick for Holmes cost the Jets more money this year. Should the Jets keep him past this season it's costs a hell of a lot more money still.

Moving Gholston's future dollars to this year cost the Jets more money this year. If he sucks again it will allow the Jets to cut him in a cap-friendly fashion next year; otherwise the Jets still have to pay him $6M to return in 2011.

Over-tagging players like Brad Smith and Kellen Clemens, with 2nd round tenders no one would realistically match, cost the Jets more money this year.

Replacing Jay Feely with Nick Folk and Jason Taylor cost the Jets more money this year.

Negotiating with Revis now, when he has 3 cheaper years left on his rookie deal, is not exactly a cost-saving thing to do. From a money standpoint this year the Jets are better off doing nothing.

Negotiating with Ferguson now, when he has 2 cheaper years left on his rookie deal, is not exactly a cost-saving thing to do. From a money standpoint this year the Jets are better off doing nothing.

Re-signing Wayne Hunter $1.2M in March to play backup OT cost the Jets more money this year.

Re-signing Ben Hartsock in March for a couple more years at $1.5M per cost the Jets more money this year.

Re-signing James Ihedigbo in March cost the Jets $1.1M this year.

Tagging Drew Coleman, with a 6th round tender this year no one would realistically match, cost the Jets $1.1M this year.

After Thomas Jones was released, the Jets could have signed someone cheaper than Tomlinson (~$3M this year).

I mean, do you not follow this team at all?

Even in an uncapped year, no team in the NFL would pay Lito Sheppard $13M or Thomas Jones $6M this year.

No team who had locker-room issues with someone playing at Kerry Rhodes's 2009 level would pay him $5M to stick around for more.

No team in the NFL would pay Alan Faneca $7-8M this year, ensuring you MUST use the worst pass-protecting LG in the NFL rather than going with someone else, because NO one pays a future HOF'er that much money and keeps him on the bench as a backup. If Callahan truly wanted him back he'd still be here since the Jets paid $5M for him to not be here rather than $7.5M to keep him.

No one in the NFL was interested in Leon Washington for the 2nd round level the Jets tendered him at, and Seattle hasn't exactly shown him the money the Jets wouldn't either.

To you, though, the Jets GM and owner are always the boogeymen.

This is your idea of a serious question? You tried this before and it was already answered.

Trading a 4th round pick for Cromartie cost the Jets more money this year. Should the Jets keep him past this season it's costs a hell of a lot more money still.

Trading a 5th round pick for Holmes cost the Jets more money this year. Should the Jets keep him past this season it's costs a hell of a lot more money still.

Moving Gholston's future dollars to this year cost the Jets more money this year. If he sucks again it will allow the Jets to cut him in a cap-friendly fashion next year; otherwise the Jets still have to pay him $6M to return in 2011.

Over-tagging players like Brad Smith and Kellen Clemens, with 2nd round tenders no one would realistically match, cost the Jets more money this year.

Replacing Jay Feely with Nick Folk and Jason Taylor cost the Jets more money this year.

Negotiating with Revis now, when he has 3 cheaper years left on his rookie deal, is not exactly a cost-saving thing to do. From a money standpoint this year the Jets are better off doing nothing.

Negotiating with Ferguson now, when he has 2 cheaper years left on his rookie deal, is not exactly a cost-saving thing to do. From a money standpoint this year the Jets are better off doing nothing.

Re-signing Wayne Hunter $1.2M in March to play backup OT cost the Jets more money this year.

Re-signing Ben Hartsock in March for a couple more years at $1.5M per cost the Jets more money this year.

Tagging Drew Coleman, with a 6th round tender this year no one would realistically match, cost the Jets $1.1M this year.

After Thomas Jones was released, the Jets could have signed someone cheaper than Tomlinson (~$3M this year).

Even in an uncapped year, no team in the NFL would pay Lito Sheppard $13M or Thomas Jones $6M this year.

No team who had locker-room issues with someone playing at Kerry Rhodes's 2009 level would pay him $5M to stick around for more.

No team in the NFL would pay Alan Faneca $7-8M this year, ensuring you MUST use the worst pass-protecting LG in the NFL rather than going with someone else, because NO one pays a future HOF'er that much money and keeps him on the bench as a backup. If Callahan truly wanted him back he'd still be here since the Jets paid $5M for him to not be here rather than $7.5M to keep him.

No one in the NFL was interested in Leon Washington for the 2nd round level the Jets tendered him at, and Seattle hasn't exactly shown him the money the Jets wouldn't either.

Now this is how the hell you respectfully and sarcastically OWN someone!

Nothing you listed was a significant spending of money. The Jets have spent anything other than some minor short term deals. And listing Gholston as spending money is just downright laughable. The bottom line is the Jets have been very tight with the purse for the past year, if this is PSL related or managing the cap is unknown, but to say they have spent money this off-season means you don't follow the team at all.

Nothing you listed was a significant spending of money. The Jets have spent anything other than some minor short term deals. And listing Gholston as spending money is just downright laughable. The bottom line is the Jets have been very tight with the purse for the past year, if this is PSL related or managing the cap is unknown, but to say they have spent money this off-season means you don't follow the team at all.

The post I replied to said, ignorantly, that the Jets have not made a single move in a year that's cost them money.

The Jets have already offered Revis an 8-figure per year extension. His rejecting it doesn't equal the Jets offering zero.

It would be equally ignorant to say Kraft isn't serious about re-signing Tom Brady. It's stupid. Because they haven't yet doesn't mean they aren't going to. Of course they are. Just as the Jets are going to retain Revis and Ferguson and Mangold.

Nothing you listed was a significant spending of money.

I'm absolutely sure that, collectively, all those moves are costing the Jets a sh** ton of money and/or are potentially costing them a sh** ton of money down the road. Just picking apart each one individually and saying "that's not a lot of money!" is borderline retarded.

The Jets could have easily filled a lot of those spots (such as the 3rd-string safety spot held by Ihedigbo, backup RB - Tomlinson, backup OT - Hunter, etc.) with cheaper options. Instead, the Jets are going for a full roster of guys they think can help them win a title, and are fine with overpaying a few of them. You cannot possibly argue that the Jets are cheap.

1) This is called negotiating... you just don't give someone exactly what they ask for.

2) What about in 2011 when there is a cap, and we need to cut 3 people because of this contract... will you say the same tune then?

3) With the NFL's 30% rule, it's not so easy to give him a raise.

But they did not even contact him or start negotiating thats what hes pissed at and thats why im bafffled... there not even giving him the time of day

Archived