Makes No Cents For Revis Not to Hold Out

flgreen

It makes no cents for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis not to hold out

Gary Myers

Saturday, June 19th 2010, 7:31 PM

Simmons/NewsExpect All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis to be laughing all the way to the bank when his contract situation in finally settled.

Rex Ryan has a better chance of dropping another 50 pounds by the time the Jets report to training camp six weeks from Sunday than Darrelle Revis has of showing up if he doesn't have a new contract.

In other words, if the Revis vs. Jets standoff isn't resolved by the time veteran camp opens in Cortland, N.Y. on Aug. 1, I will be very surprised if Revis isn't a summertime holdout.

The injury risk is too great for Revis to play for just $1 million this season, when his guarantees don't kick in until next year. Revis has qualified to have the final two years (2011-2012) voided from his original six-year, $36 million rookie contract after this season. Then the Jets have the right to buy back them back for $5 million guaranteed in 2011 and $15 million guaranteed in 2012.

If Revis doesn't secure an extension with a sizable amount of guaranteed money, or if the Jets don't come up with a short-term solution, then he's going to be hanging out by himself on Revis Island while Ryan puts the Jets through two-a-days.

Perhaps a quick fix to get Revis into camp is jumping the $1 million he's scheduled to earn in 2010 to about $10 million, the market value for an elite corner. But without getting additional years, it's not likely the Jets would give Revis more money. But it would enhance their Super Bowl chances.

This could get ugly and nasty - as if Revis faking a hamstring injury in minicamp last week and embarrassing Ryan wasn't bad enough.

Here's the immediate problem for Revis:

- If he suffers a career-threatening injury in training camp or during the season, the Jets could elect not to exercise the buybacks, making Revis a damaged-goods free agent. Revis is good friends with ex-Jets running back Leon Washington and he viewed up close how one play can change a player's life. The Giants' Domenik Hixon is gone for the year after he blew out his ACL in a non-contact drill last week.

If Revis shows up and plays this season under his present contract, he will be gambling he can stay injury-free. But even then, he will be playing the next three years for a total of $21 million. The $7 million average is not even half of Nnamdi Asomghua's three-year, $45.3 million deal in Oakland and Revis is determined to be the highest-paid corner in the NFL.

- If Revis doesn't show up for camp, he can be fined about $16,000 a day and the guaranteed language in the $20 million in 2011-2012 disappears. If he doesn't show up, I believe this could go on for awhile. I don't see him losing his nerve when it becomes late August, with the Sept. 13 Monday Night opener against the Ravens fast approaching. Revis held out of camp 21 days until his rookie deal got done in 2007 when he had not proven anything. Now he's the best corner in the league.

Page 2 of 3)

- The issue really is the guaranteed money. Whether it's the Jets' new philosophy, or money targeted to players is being diverted to make up for PSL shortfalls, they have not fully guaranteed one penny in their two proposals to Revis. And it was the Jets who initiated extension talks shortly after last season.

- If Revis takes the risk and plays for the $1 million this season, he could make up to $86 million guaranteed from 2011-2015 without ever signing a long-term deal. He would get $5 million in '11, $15 million in '12, then the Jets could franchise him for up to three straight years with a 20% raise each year. That would get him about $66 million from 2013-15.

The Jets are convinced they are going to the Super Bowl. They've told Revis they want him to be their Derek Jeter. But unless there's a resolution in the next six weeks, don't look for Revis in Cortland.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

By mathematical standards, the NFL is obviously correct: 16 plus 4 and 18 plus 2 both equal 20. But there are many ramifications to Roger Goodell's "enhanced season" proposal that would eliminate two dreadful preseason games and increase the regular season from 16 to 18 games beginning in 2012.

The league and the union spent most of the negotiating session Wednesday in New York talking about the enhanced season. Will it happen? It's likely to be part of a global settlement of all the CBA issues, which if not resolved could lead to a lockout in 2011.

Here's some things to consider:

- When New York was awarded the 2014 Super Bowl last month, the NFL announced the game would be played Feb. 2 with a 16-game regular season, Feb. 9 with a 17-game regular season or Feb. 16 with an 18-game regular season.

The regular season will continue to start the weekend after Labor Day, so with two extra games, everything is extended two weeks. What does this mean for the New York Super Bowl? It could still be very cold. It could still snow or even be a blizzard. There could still be sleet. It's still February in the Northeast.

- What happens to NFL records? They become further watered-down. Many of them will fall with two extra games. But will they be shattered? The most coveted and prestigious single-season record is rushing yards. In 1973, O.J. Simpson became the first to rush for 2,000 yards when he had 2,003 in a 14-game season. The NFL went to 16 games in 1978, but it wasn't until Eric Dickerson ran for 2,105 in 1984 that 2,000 yards was reached for the second time. Dickerson still holds the record, and only four others have broken the 2,000-yard barrier.

(Page 3 of 3)

But 1,000-yard seasons will be further diluted - it will take only an average of 56 yards per game to reach the once-coveted plateau.

Many of the career records are a function of longevity. And with two extra games per season providing two more games for potential injuries, it's reasonable to believe careers will not last as long. Brett Favre holds every major career passing record (TDs, yards, completions) but does anybody think Favre is the best quarterback of all time or are his records a result of both greatness and durability?

- By pushing the Super Bowl back two weeks it will fall on President's Day weekend when many businesses are closed and most schools are off for the week. That could lead to even bigger television ratings.

nWhat happens to ticket prices? NFL teams charge the same for preseason and regular-season games and make the practice games part of the season-ticket package. But with the quality of the inventory improving with one meaningful home game replacing one meaningless home preseason game, it wouldn't be a shock to see ticket prices go up.

BAD ALBERT

The Giants went hard after Albert Haynesworth last year and, fortunately for them, lost out to the Redskins. That was a great non-signing.

The Redskins made the biggest mistake in the 18-year history of free agency when they signed Haynesworth to a 7-year, $100 million deal that includes $41 million guaranteed. Haynesworth did little in 2009 (12 games, 37 tackles, 4 sacks), and with new coach Mike Shanahan switching to a 3-4, requiring Haynesworth to play nose tackle and take on blockers, rather than as a pass rusher and destructive force in the 4-3 he's used to, he wants out.

Shanahan gave Haynesworth permission in February to find another team, but there were no takers. He would have released Haynesworth if he gave up the $21 million guaranteed he was due April 1. No deal. Now Haynesworth, who has already made $32 million in the last 16 months, wants a trade and was a no-show at minicamp last week.

The Redskins could try to force Haynesowrth to repay some of the bonus, but the CBA language could make that tough. It's rare when players rip teammates, but this is an exception. "What he's decided to do is make a decision based all about him," Redskins LB London Fletcher said. "It's no different than his attitude and his approach to last year's defense, about wanting everything to revolve around him and him making plays. And if it didn't benefit him, he wasn't really willing to do it. I want teammates who I can depend on, who I can count on."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/06/19/2010-06-19_makes_no_cents_for_revis_not_to_hold_out.html?page=2#ixzz0rObJTvgV

Gary Myers

Saturday, June 19th 2010, 7:31 PM

Simmons/NewsExpect All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis to be laughing all the way to the bank when his contract situation in finally settled.

Rex Ryan has a better chance of dropping another 50 pounds by the time the Jets report to training camp six weeks from Sunday than Darrelle Revis has of showing up if he doesn't have a new contract.

In other words, if the Revis vs. Jets standoff isn't resolved by the time veteran camp opens in Cortland, N.Y. on Aug. 1, I will be very surprised if Revis isn't a summertime holdout.

The injury risk is too great for Revis to play for just $1 million this season, when his guarantees don't kick in until next year. Revis has qualified to have the final two years (2011-2012) voided from his original six-year, $36 million rookie contract after this season. Then the Jets have the right to buy back them back for $5 million guaranteed in 2011 and $15 million guaranteed in 2012.

If Revis doesn't secure an extension with a sizable amount of guaranteed money, or if the Jets don't come up with a short-term solution, then he's going to be hanging out by himself on Revis Island while Ryan puts the Jets through two-a-days.

Perhaps a quick fix to get Revis into camp is jumping the $1 million he's scheduled to earn in 2010 to about $10 million, the market value for an elite corner. But without getting additional years, it's not likely the Jets would give Revis more money. But it would enhance their Super Bowl chances.

This could get ugly and nasty - as if Revis faking a hamstring injury in minicamp last week and embarrassing Ryan wasn't bad enough.

Here's the immediate problem for Revis:

- If he suffers a career-threatening injury in training camp or during the season, the Jets could elect not to exercise the buybacks, making Revis a damaged-goods free agent. Revis is good friends with ex-Jets running back Leon Washington and he viewed up close how one play can change a player's life. The Giants' Domenik Hixon is gone for the year after he blew out his ACL in a non-contact drill last week.

If Revis shows up and plays this season under his present contract, he will be gambling he can stay injury-free. But even then, he will be playing the next three years for a total of $21 million. The $7 million average is not even half of Nnamdi Asomghua's three-year, $45.3 million deal in Oakland and Revis is determined to be the highest-paid corner in the NFL.

- If Revis doesn't show up for camp, he can be fined about $16,000 a day and the guaranteed language in the $20 million in 2011-2012 disappears. If he doesn't show up, I believe this could go on for awhile. I don't see him losing his nerve when it becomes late August, with the Sept. 13 Monday Night opener against the Ravens fast approaching. Revis held out of camp 21 days until his rookie deal got done in 2007 when he had not proven anything. Now he's the best corner in the league.

Page 2 of 3)

- The issue really is the guaranteed money. Whether it's the Jets' new philosophy, or money targeted to players is being diverted to make up for PSL shortfalls, they have not fully guaranteed one penny in their two proposals to Revis. And it was the Jets who initiated extension talks shortly after last season.

- If Revis takes the risk and plays for the $1 million this season, he could make up to $86 million guaranteed from 2011-2015 without ever signing a long-term deal. He would get $5 million in '11, $15 million in '12, then the Jets could franchise him for up to three straight years with a 20% raise each year. That would get him about $66 million from 2013-15.

The Jets are convinced they are going to the Super Bowl. They've told Revis they want him to be their Derek Jeter. But unless there's a resolution in the next six weeks, don't look for Revis in Cortland.

Did I miss any?

:Typotux:

I'm confused by all these "no CBA" rules. Isn't this scenario impossible under the current rules? I thought they could only bump him 30%.

I'm confused by all these "no CBA" rules. Isn't this scenario impossible under the current rules? I thought they could only bump him 30%.

I think they can give him any bonus they want, they just can't bump his salary. They want to extend his current deal -which is smart- giving them the $1M and $5M seasons the next two years and the bigger money salaries after that.

I also think the Jets have offered guarantees - but injury guarantees, not guarantees against being cut. But does Revis really have to worry about that? I think the Jets could put those types of guarantees in, just have them void if Revis ever holds out again.

I think they can give him any bonus they want, they just can't bump his salary. They want to extend his current deal -which is smart- giving them the $1M and $5M seasons the next two years and the bigger money salaries after that.

I also think the Jets have offered guarantees - but injury guarantees, not guarantees against being cut. But does Revis really have to worry about that? I think the Jets could put those types of guarantees in, just have them void if Revis ever holds out again.

My take on the lack of guarantees is that they are protection against the cap dropping. If the deal is a complete cap killer they can cut and renegotiate. You don't want to get stuck in a situation where he is a great player, but getting paid so much that no team could afford to take his salary.

My take on the lack of guarantees is that they are protection against the cap dropping. If the deal is a complete cap killer they can cut and renegotiate. You don't want to get stuck in a situation where he is a great player, but getting paid so much that no team could afford to take his salary.

Could be.

My continued belief is that the cap will not drop, that it will continue rising from where it left off. That this whole "18%" thing is just a negotiating ploy - which is mostly a misrepresentation of the owners proposal by the union leadership to rally the troops, anyway.

I think what the owners really want is an extended regular season and a rookie wage scale, and they're scaring the union with a pay cut across the board to get them. Owners like Jerry Jones are making a lot of side money (I think Woody wants in on this, too), and they want to make sure that money continues to not be counted for cap purposes.

essentially this is true... there's no economic incentive for revis to show up for 1 mil now and 20 mil guarunteed when he's worth 14+ a year and 50+ guarunteed.

and as far as leverage goes... if the holdout gets to the stage that the Jets are facing the Ravens without Revis... DR has all the leverage in the world. The Jets D without Revis is not an elite unit... if they lose that game forget about it. Tanny will get reamed in the media.

Here's what I would do if I was Tanny.. Tell Revis and his agent to talk to all the other clubs and see what they would be willing to pay Revis and give the Jets in return.. If the top offer was 12 million I'd say we will match it otherwise don't let the door hit you on the way out..

essentially this is true... there's no economic incentive for revis to show up for 1 mil now and 20 mil guarunteed when he's worth 14+ a year and 50+ guarunteed.

and as far as leverage goes... if the holdout gets to the stage that the Jets are facing the Ravens without Revis... DR has all the leverage in the world. The Jets D without Revis is not an elite unit... if they lose that game forget about it. Tanny will get reamed in the media.

It wasn't an elite unit without Jenkins either, right?

essentially this is true... there's no economic incentive for revision show up for 1 mil now and 20 mil guaranteed when he's worth 14+ a year and 50+ guaranteed.

The Jets D before Rex and with Revis wasn't a elite unit.. 50 million guaranteed?? Bit seek help..:rolleyes:

I saw that Gary Myers wrote this tripe, bitonti agreed with it and flgreen, who is apparently the newly appointed JN voice of doom, posted it.

Pretty much tells me all I need to know. :yawn:

???????

Post everything I run accross. Just that all the articles out right now are either "The jets are the Super Bowl Favorite", or "The Jets are self destructing"

???????

Post everything I run accross. Just that all the articles out right now are either "The jets are the Super Bowl Favorite", or "The Jets are self destructing"

It seemed more negative focused lately bud. No worries.

Gary Myers wrote it and bit agreed with it = nothing to see here.

has has 3 years left

he has no leverage

if this was his walk year, and he could be a FA next year, he still has no leverage because there may not be a next year

tanny will laugh at his hold out

I think he signs 2 days before camp starts anyway

Completely incorrect. Revis has to report or he doesn't get credit for this year on his contract. That's FAR from "all the leverage in the world", because that's still another 3 years AFTER this season that he's still the Jets property. Revis will be back well before the opener, because he has little other choice. Do the Jets need him? Sure, that's all the leverage he's got. But the Jets have him, so it's not all that much leverage. The only leverage Revis has comes with the risk of putting his career in jeopardy, and actually reducing the likelihood of him ever getting that big contract he craves if the Jets decide against it.

My guess is that the Jets and Revis agree to a contract renegotiation something along the lines of the Jets executing the buyback offer now--meaning Revis will be a Jet next year and have his $20M guaranteed regardless. Then they'll play out the year, see what happens with the CBA, and renegotiate again next offseason if/when things are more clear.

We can beat the Ravens without Revis. We can beat lots of teams without Revis. He's not a quarterback.

Right. He's just the guy who takes the other team's QB's favorite WR away.

If the Jets are legit, the Ravens are going to be one of their major obstacles in getting to the Super Bowl this year. The season opener could be what decides who gets a home playoff game -or a bye- when the regular season ends.

I saw that Gary Myers wrote this tripe, bitonti agreed with it and flgreen, who is apparently the newly appointed JN voice of doom, posted it.

Pretty much tells me all I need to know. :yawn:

One other thing you should know is we don't care for attacking other posters here. Since you get mad when it is done to you, you should show others the same respect.

You can disagree with other peoples opinions but stay on point.

Right. He's just the guy who takes the other team's QB's favorite WR away.

And that's still more important than the QB how? Revis is the most important player to our defense, I get it. But in the unlikely event of a "doomsday" scenario where Revis is not playing in week 1, I think we can survive it. Cromartie and Wilson along with the rest of our talented D is not incapable of winning without Revis.

As has been mentioned before, our D was NOT elite with Revis when Mangini was the coach. It only took on its other-worldly level when Rex got here.

Revis will be the first one to blink, as it should be given the circumstances. In no scenario do I see us devoting 1/6 of our cap space to Revis.

As has been mentioned before, our D was NOT elite with Revis when Mangini was the coach. It only took on its other-worldly level when Rex got here.

i've seen this logic applied to Dbrick how he wasn't good until Faneca showed up... end of the day we are isolating instances of rookies or 1st year players to prove they aren't essential... and therefore don't deserve money.

But only problem with that logic, Revis and Brick aren't rookies anymore. It's not like if Rex or Faneca leaves those guys will regress to how they played when they are rookies or first year players.

i've seen this logic applied to Dbrick how he wasn't good until Faneca showed up... end of the day we are isolating instances of rookies or 1st year players to prove they aren't essential... and therefore don't deserve money.

But only problem with that logic, Revis and Brick aren't rookies anymore. It's not like if Rex or Faneca leaves those guys will regress to how they played when they are rookies or first year players.

Not saying he doesn't deserve to get paid. What I am saying is we can survive without him in an absolute worst-case scenario.

And that's still more important than the QB how?

Didn't say it was.

What I did say was that Baltimore is going to be a team that's challenging for the AFC Title, too. They have a decent QB in Joe Flacco, and just added Anquan Boldin. They have a fearsome running game, and an always solid dee. It's not a game I want to go into at less than full strength, and as is it we're already without Holmes.

Game will be no cakewalk with Revis in the lineup, but I definitely want him there.

Archived