Rex Ryan to write a book?

4HCrew

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan teaming up with best-selling author Don Yaeger on memoir

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, June 29th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_rex_ryan_speaks.jpg Willens/AP

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan's memoir centers on his upbringing and leadership style.

The Jets added another wrinkle to their eventful offseason Monday with Rex Ryan's decision to write his memoirs. The swashbuckling head coach will collaborate with best-selling author Don Yaeger on a nontraditional autobiography that blends Ryan's upbringing with his leadership style.

"It's not a true autobiography, because, as Rex likes to say, he's far too young for that," Yaeger told the Daily News. "He's got so much to say and there are so many parts of his life that are interesting.

"Obviously, the Jets are a major portion of the project. Rex's leadership style is a big part of the project. So it's not just a straight 'I-was-born-here-and-raised-there' kind of book."

Yaeger, who has written books on Walter Payton, Warrick Dunn and Warren Moon, will spend the next several weeks with Ryan to capture the essence of the Jets' brash, tell-it-like-it-is leader. The former Sports Illustrated editor will spend some time with Ryan at training camp in August before finishing the manuscript in December. The autobiography will be published by Doubleday Books and released in late spring 2011.

"If somebody would have pitched him on a strict autobiography, that probably wouldn't have worked," Yaeger said. "We stressed his leadership and bringing fun into the game. For many years, the NFL has been known as the No Fun League. So, Rex Ryan certainly breaks that mold. I think that had a lot to do with why he found the idea intriguing."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/06/29/2010-06-29_book_it_rex_is_writing_memoirs.html?r=sports%2Ffootball%2Fjets&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fjets+%28Sports%2FFootball%2FJets%29#ixzz0sFFEJoWP

And the problem is? The man is quickly becoming the most popular coach in the NFL. He and his advisors know the book is going to sell well in the New York/New Jersey area, which means the book is going to do well. Its not like he's the head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

And as Jbro said above me, enjoy the pubilicity while it lasts because one day it will be gone once again and the Jets will once again become an NFL after thought. We're lucky to have a colorful guy like Rex. These are the things that come with it.

He'll make at least a million of the book and the this other guy will do all the work. How many of you would turn that down?

Anyway, my prediction is the book will claim that his parents divorce hit him hard and that he tries so hard to build camraderie at work because seeing his parents family break up taught him the lesson of togertherness.

Archived