Same Old Jets

Maxman

I dunno what Mickens you must have been watching because he F"ing sucked. You guys on here complain about Lowery, well Mickens was 1/10 as good as Lowery. I can't count how many times I've seen a 3rd and 8 or 9 and Mickens giving a 15 yd cushion. The receiver goes exactly 9 yards for a reception and Mickens is still 5 yards away. As far as Smith goes, yeah he may have been part of a diff. generation, but he was def. a SOJ. From time to time he made some big plays for us, but for most part he made some huge mistakes that cost the team.

I'm not sure what years you were watching, but he was in the league for 10 years. He was a 3rd round pick and we more than got our money's worth out of him. He played the most games when the team was good under Parcells and Herm. I'm not the one who said he was a top slot CB, that came from Sports Illustrated and Phil Simms (I believe). We was much less a sign of SOJ than those ****ty FA pickups we made because Herm needed "cover 2" CBs. IMO Smith is the one that laid the big cushion, but that's because he was old and slow.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno what Mickens you must have been watching because he F"ing sucked. You guys on here complain about Lowery, well Mickens was 1/10 as good as Lowery. I can't count how many times I've seen a 3rd and 8 or 9 and Mickens giving a 15 yd cushion. The receiver goes exactly 9 yards for a reception and Mickens is still 5 yards away. As far as Smith goes, yeah he may have been part of a diff. generation, but he was def. a SOJ. From time to time he made some big plays for us, but for most part he made some huge mistakes that cost the team.

Are you sure you are talking about Ray Mickens?

Otis Smith sucked. Even though he was around for the Parcells era, he was also there before in 1995 and 1996 when he was cut in late sept.

He was the only player i have ever seen who could f#ck up so much and luck into an interception every once in a while. I wish I could find the quote he had one time where he said it was difficult keeping his concentration during the entire game and he gets bored..

Mickens wasnt bad. Nowhere near as bad as Otis Smith.

Rex pretty much pulled a Herm in the AFCC, thinking the game was in the bag if we stayed the course with our vanilla ground 'n pound for another 30 minutes, overlooking the fact that Indy would scrap their 1st half gameplan, and return to the field like a whole new beast.

Browning Nagle.

The Jets LOVED, absolutely LOVED Brett Favre coming out of college. Ron Wolf, then Jet Personnel Director wanted him badly. The Jets needed a qb.

Atlanta beat them to the punch though, and moved ahead of them.

The Jets could have made a similar move, but did not haved the gumption.

No guts, no glory. SOJ. We wind up with Nagle

Dave Meggett deserves that too.

cmart had a bad fumble that night too. 6 turnovers!!!! hurts all the more because we led in the 3rd and the jets would've manhandled the falcons for a ring.

vinny going down in game 1 the next year has to be in the article, too.

the title should be "Mo' Optimism, Mo' Problems"

Are you sure you are talking about Ray Mickens?

Oh most def. talking Ray Mickens. He blew. Look back on film when he is in games mostly as a nickel back. I hated, hated, hated him. So glad we look like a franchise that can pick ppl with better potential to help the team.

Ronnie Lott. Steve At.water. Rick Mirer. Curtis Conway. Dewayne Robertson. B.J. Askew. Mike Nugent. Anthony Schlegel. Vernon Gholston.

The hate is strong with me on this list, what a cluster****!

Browning Nagle.

The Jets LOVED, absolutely LOVED Brett Favre coming out of college. Ron Wolf, then Jet Personnel Director wanted him badly. The Jets needed a qb.

Atlanta beat them to the punch though, and moved ahead of them.

The Jets could have made a similar move, but did not haved the gumption.

No guts, no glory. SOJ. We wind up with Nagle

Actually Brett Favre probably wouldn't have been much better because he had a drinking problem coming out of college and he would not have been able to focus here. He couldn't focus in Atlanta because of it and they wound up trading him to Green Bay to, according to Jerry Glanville, "Sober him up".

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/ex-falcons-coach-jerry-glanville-he-had-to-trade-brett-favre-to-packers-because-he-could-not-sober-him-up/1

Actually Brett Favre probably wouldn't have been much better because he had a drinking problem coming out of college and he would not have been able to focus here. He couldn't focus in Atlanta because of it and they wound up trading him to Green Bay to, according to Jerry Glanville, "Sober him up".

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/03/ex-falcons-coach-jerry-glanville-he-had-to-trade-brett-favre-to-packers-because-he-could-not-sober-him-up/1

No one can say for sure what would have happened. Favre had a pill popping habit in GB too, but that did not stop him from doing great things.

The thing is, the Jets hierarchy had identified what we know is HOF talent, wanted him badly, but did not do what it took to secure that talent, had someone jump ahead of them in their spot to pick that player, and they would up with Browning Nagle.

THAT is the point of this exercise and THAT is SOJ.

Rex pretty much pulled a Herm in the AFCC, thinking the game was in the bag if we stayed the course with our vanilla ground 'n pound for another 30 minutes, overlooking the fact that Indy would scrap their 1st half gameplan, and return to the field like a whole new beast.

I thought Brian Schottenhiemer ran the offense. He's a bright young mind.

No one can say for sure what would have happened. Favre had a pill popping habit in GB too, but that did not stop him from doing great things.

The thing is, the Jets hierarchy had identified what we know is HOF talent, wanted him badly, but did not do what it took to secure that talent, had someone jump ahead of them in their spot to pick that player, and they would up with Browning Nagle.

THAT is the point of this exercise and THAT is SOJ.

They were going to trade up with Phoenix, who picked before Atlanta, but they backed out at the last minute.

Disagree tremendously on Freeman McNeil

Many do. 3-time Pro Bowler, solid starter for 9 years and # 2 all-time rusher for the Jets.

But to me, if you're going to draft a RB at # 3 overall, you're looking to bring in an all-time great. McNeil isn't in that category, not close.

When you consider that 5-time pro bowl safety Kenny Easley was taken the next pick, and all-time great Ronnie Lott was taken 4 picks after that, it was yet another missed opportunity.

Making matters even worse in that draft is the Giants getting Lawrence Taylor 1 pick before us. Not that we could have done anything about it, but you can't argue at all that we got good value at 3 when those 3 players were taken around McNeil.

Many do. 3-time Pro Bowler, solid starter for 9 years and # 2 all-time rusher for the Jets.

But to me, if you're going to draft a RB at # 3 overall, you're looking to bring in an all-time great. McNeil isn't in that category, not close.

So teams deserve the Same Old Jets label every time they draft somebody that isn't an "all-time great"? Martin is apparently an all-time great and IMO McNeill was a better back.

So teams deserve the Same Old Jets label every time they draft somebody that isn't an "all-time great"? Martin is apparently an all-time great and IMO McNeill was a better back.

Curtis Martin was a 3rd round pick, I don't consider him an all-time great, and we didn't draft him. McNeil was taken top 5 overall. He SHOULD have been the better back based on expectations.

Here are some other backs taken top 5 overall:

OJ Simpson (1969, # 1 overall)

Walter Payton (1975, # 4 overall)

Tony Dorsett (1977, # 2 overall)

Earl Campbell (1978, # 1 overall)

Eric Dickerson (1983, # 2 overall)

Bo Jackson (1986, # 1 overall)

Barry Sanders (1989, # 3 overall)

Marshall Faulk (1994, # 2 overall)

Edgerrin James (1999, # 4 overall)

Jamal Lewis (2000, # 5 overall)

LaDainian Tomlinson (2001, # 5 overall)

Even some relative disappointments (such as Chuck Muncie, Curt Warner and Garrison Hearst) outperformed or about equalled McNeil career-wise.

Were there colossal busts taken top 5 at RB? Sure. Was McNeil one of them? Absolutely not. Was he an all-time great? Not even close. Perhaps is he was drafted 74th overall like Curtis Martin he'd get a fairer treatment from me.

But in this case, McNeil falls in the list of draft picks who disappointed. We got a solid starter, not a runner in the caliber of the 11 names above. Just another missed opportunity the Jets had time and time again in the draft.

Curtis Martin was a 3rd round pick, I don't consider him an all-time great, and we didn't draft him. McNeil was taken top 5 overall. He SHOULD have been the better back based on expectations.

Here are some other backs taken top 5 overall:

OJ Simpson (1969, # 1 overall)

Walter Payton (1975, # 4 overall)

Tony Dorsett (1977, # 2 overall)

Earl Campbell (1978, # 1 overall)

Eric Dickerson (1983, # 2 overall)

Bo Jackson (1986, # 1 overall)

Barry Sanders (1989, # 3 overall)

Marshall Faulk (1994, # 2 overall)

Edgerrin James (1999, # 4 overall)

Jamal Lewis (2000, # 5 overall)

LaDainian Tomlinson (2001, # 5 overall)

Even some relative disappointments (such as Chuck Muncie, Curt Warner and Garrison Hearst) outperformed or about equalled McNeil career-wise.

Were there colossal busts taken top 5 at RB? Sure. Was McNeil one of them? Absolutely not. Was he an all-time great? Not even close. Perhaps is he was drafted 74th overall like Curtis Martin he'd get a fairer treatment from me.

But in this case, McNeil falls in the list of draft picks who disappointed. We got a solid starter, not a runner in the caliber of the 11 names above. Just another missed opportunity the Jets had time and time again in the draft.

Disagree wholeheartedly, but that is why there are opinions.

Archived