Same Old Jets

Maxman

I am doing a JetNation piece on the "Same Old Jets". I need your help. When you think Same Old Jets, what player(s) come to mind.

Please be specific if you can. A players name is fine but anything they did that makes you think of them in this category would be helpful.

Thanks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All 11 players on defense that were on the field during the Marino fake spike, Keith Byars (Phuck I still hate him for that fumble his was the costlyiest spelling) and the other 6 fumbles lost in the AFC championship game, and not to forget the fumble that popped Testevarde's achillies ugh.

Bad thread we need positive thoughts new season and the Different New Jets on the horizon.

Criswell and Cadigan.

The poster children of Same Ol Jets.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/16/sports/pro-football-don-t-raise-any-flags-around-criswell.html

When it comes to depth on the offensive line, the Jets have very little experience, so Criswell and Cadigan are both indispensable.

In addition to their high number of penalties, Criswell and Cadigan raised their visibility last season with a radio program on WFAN called "In the Trenches." Criswell thinks that's where the trouble started. Static on the Dial

"We opened ourselves up," he said. "It should have been a great season. If it had, things would have been different; maybe things wouldn't have been so bad. We were playing poorly. A lot of things happened.

"Dave and I tried to express some factual things that we knew were true. They got taken from the show that we did to the next show with Mike and the Mad Dog. And they just tore us apart."

All 11 players on defense that were on the field during the Marino fake spike, Keith Byars (Phuck I still hate him for that fumble his was the costlyiest spelling) and the other 6 fumbles lost in the AFC championship game, and not to forget the fumble that popped Testevarde's achillies ugh.

Bad thread we need positive thoughts new season and the Different New Jets on the horizon.

Two things:

1. There really is no such thing as karma, so it doesn't matter.

2. When you see what we are doing with this you will be impressed with how positive this cause really is...

:-$

soj to me is bitter disappointment, so you have to build our hopes up and pull the ball away, so sucky teams really don't count

charlie_brown_lucy_football-thumb-4.jpg

gastuneaus roughing penalty in 86

fumbles in denver in 98

fake spike in 94

soj to me is bitter disappointment, so you have to build our hopes up and pull the ball away, so sucky teams really don't count

charlie_brown_lucy_football-thumb-4.jpg

gastuneaus roughing penalty in 86

fumbles in denver in 98

fake spike in 94

There should be one more on that list Barton roughing the passer but for some reason Kaeding and the Chargers have worse same old Chargers than same old Jets.

I am doing a JetNation piece on the "Same Old Jets". I need your help. When you think Same Old Jets, what player(s) come to mind.

Please be specific if you can. A players name is fine but anything they did that makes you think of them in this category would be helpful.

Thanks.

Can you talk about how I cried when I was like 10 in 1997 when the Jets blew there chance for the playoffs against the Lions.

Seriously though.

Doug Brien and Herm Edwards against the Steelers

Doug Brien - 2 missed field goals in 2nd rd of playoffs in '04...

Herm Edwards - Constantly made decisions that allowed us to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. Especially when it mattered most. Fortunately for him, Doug Brien missed 2 FGs against Pitt to give Hermy the perfect scapegoat. He also made Paul Hackett a scapegoat when the offense didn't do its job. The **** really started to hit the fan for Herm when "his" replacements, Humdinger and Nugent looked even worse than their predecessors.

Chad Pennington -- Good enough to get a wild card birth...Could never consistently win the big ones. Only won two or three playoff games in his Jets career (02-07)

Mo Lewis -- Buh bye Drew Bledsoe, hello Tom Brady. Need I say more?

Firing Joe Walton. I never understood this. I've heard rumors that Joe got drunk on the flight home and said something about Leons wifes t!ts. Anyone on here know the real story?

He was probably fired because we missed the playoffs in his last three seasons and went 6-9 in 87, 8-7-1 in 88, and 4-12 in 89.

Firing Joe Walton. I never understood this. I've heard rumors that Joe got drunk on the flight home and said something about Leons wifes t!ts. Anyone on here know the real story?

It was Walt Michaels and yes he was a heavy drinker and a tit man.

I've never heard of anything like this happening to the other NFL teams. Just the Jets, especially when Hess was in charge.

The '86 season when that d-bag on tv said the Jets would lose every game for the rest of the season. That's when I first knew the Jets were cursed. The stuff that happened later didn't hit me as hard because I was ready for it.

That douchebag punter Paul Macgwire still has a job. I have no idea how. He is ****ing useless. He started saying the Jets would lose every game for the rest of the season after around week 7. Of course he acts like some kind of sage when the Jets lost out, but he was saying it for 3 or 4 weeks while they kept winning.

Let's see def. Otis Smith and Mickens would be on my list. Never understood how Mickens lasted so long.

Strange choices IMO. Otis Smith was part of the Parcells generation and they were supposedly not SOJ. Mickens was actually an excellent slot CB. Possibly the best in the NFL for several seasons. When I think of SOJ CBs I think of Vance Joseph. When I think of Vance Joseph I think of Kotitte. Then I get angry and break things around my home and office.

Exactly. They were afraid to lose Walton that "genius" OC. Walton was good as an OC, but he was constantly ****ing up by trying to outsmart everyone. Too much of a ***** to punch teams in the mouth.

Thanks.

One name and one name only. The one name that conjures up SOJ more than any other and always will. The absolute personification of SOJ: Rich Kotite.

I'd say that run of draft day blunders...Kyle Brady, Blair Thomas, Roger Vick, Johnny Mitchel...which prompted Mel Kiper to say "clearly the Jets dont know what they are doing in the draft"...or something like that.

I'd definitely put in dumping the noodle only to lose the division to him on home field last game of the year.

I'd definitely put SB favorite Vinny goes down on a not touched achilles injury first game.

And I'd have to put in the Mo Lewis hit and the ripple affect.

I'd say that run of draft day blunders...Kyle Brady, Blair Thomas, Roger Vick, Johnny Mitchel...which prompted Mel Kiper to say "clearly the Jets dont know what they are doing in the draft"...or something like that.

I'd definitely put in dumping the noodle only to lose the division to him on home field last game of the year.

I'd definitely put SB favorite Vinny goes down on a not touched achilles injury first game.

And I'd have to put in the Mo Lewis hit and the ripple affect.

Actually it was specifically the drafting of Jeff Lageman that prompted Mel Kiper to say "right now it's pretty clear that the Jets don't know what the draft's all about."

And you call yourself a negative Jets fan. :rolleyes:

1. There really is no such thing as karma, so it doesn't matter.

Westerners... :rolleyes:

Walt Michaels also was taking some serious pain meds at the time. He was unfairly black-balled when he got fired, too. He was a good coach. Should've been given the head coach job when Weeb left, but it went to Weeb's (I think) son-in-law instead.

Johnny Mitchell kills me more than any other. The guy had the talent to be the all time greatest TE to ever play the game. Look up the guys stats, he's on par with the best of the best. Not a heart to be found in him, though.

Kyle Brady was taken too high, and then never used properly, but at least he was a solid player.

Thomas, Vick... these guys sucked, but you need to go back to #6 overall DT Carl Barzilawskas, the original 300 pounder. I don't know if he ever played a down. Or how about taking Anthony Davis #2 overall, just to see him try his hand at the WFL instead, then bolt to the CFL when that league folded?

"Lam" Jones, Mike Haight. Some classics out there.

Thanks.

gastineau

sacking kosar on 4th down when we were within seconds of the afc champ game..

only same ole jets could have lost on a hail mary incompletion by roughing the passer

Thanks.

charlie winner head coach

only same old jets would have passed on assistants Chuck Knox and Buddy Ryan to hand over the job to Weebs son-in-law..

That douchebag punter Paul Macgwire still has a job. I have no idea how. He is ****ing useless. He started saying the Jets would lose every game for the rest of the season after around week 7. Of course he acts like some kind of sage when the Jets lost out, but he was saying it for 3 or 4 weeks while they kept winning.

Strange choices IMO. Otis Smith was part of the Parcells generation and they were supposedly not SOJ. Mickens was actually an excellent slot CB. Possibly the best in the NFL for several seasons. When I think of SOJ CBs I think of Vance Joseph. When I think of Vance Joseph I think of Kotitte. Then I get angry and break things around my home and office.

Exactly. They were afraid to lose Walton that "genius" OC. Walton was good as an OC, but he was constantly ****ing up by trying to outsmart everyone. Too much of a ***** to punch teams in the mouth.

I dunno what Mickens you must have been watching because he F"ing sucked. You guys on here complain about Lowery, well Mickens was 1/10 as good as Lowery. I can't count how many times I've seen a 3rd and 8 or 9 and Mickens giving a 15 yd cushion. The receiver goes exactly 9 yards for a reception and Mickens is still 5 yards away. As far as Smith goes, yeah he may have been part of a diff. generation, but he was def. a SOJ. From time to time he made some big plays for us, but for most part he made some huge mistakes that cost the team.

Archived