Chris Johnson restructures deal

docdhc

Has this been posted? Chris Johnson restructured deal by getting some back end money guaranteed for next year and not changing the length of the deal. Couldn't the Jets do something similar with Revis by taking some of the money to be guaranteed in the 5th and 6th years of his deal (20million) and moving some to next year as a compromise?

ris Johnson Agrees To Restructured Deal

Source: RB Chris Johnson agrees to restructured deal with the Titans

Tags: NFL, Tennessee Titans, Chris Johnson

Learn More

Good point with the Revis comparison. Not to beat a dead horse but can the Jets do that financially? Does the lacking PSL sales limit them cash wise?

I am not sure either way but it definitely has to be a consideration...

Revis had one of the best seasons any CB has ever had in NFL history and was clearly the best player in the NFL at his position. Well, Chris Johnson had one of the best seasons any RB has ever had in NFL history and was clearly the best player in the NFL at his position as well. He also had multiple years on his contract remaining the same way Revis does.

This (should) clearly put some more leverage in the Jets' court. Revis and his team are probably pissed this morning. Kind of shows how greedy Revis is really being here.

Good point with the Revis comparison. Not to beat a dead horse but can the Jets do that financially? Does the lacking PSL sales limit them cash wise?

I am not sure either way but it definitely has to be a consideration...

I don't think Revis's new agent Bit will care a......bit... 100 million guaranteed plus 40% ownership of the team is the least he'll consider..:character0282:

Chris Johnson coming off as a smart/good guy in this situation. He gets a $2 million pay increase, realizing that "Hey, unless I'm a total moron with this $2.5 million, plus the money I made my first two years, plus my jersey sales money, plus my endorsements, etc., I should be set for life even if I get hurt this season."

Thank you, Chris.

As for those who keep talking about how this is what the Jets should do with Revis please realize that in order to MAYBE be able to do this the Jets would first have to buy back the final two years of his deal, which they have not done yet. As of now Revis is on a 1 year, $1 million deal. Something tells me Darrelle would not be willing to do what CJ did even though CJ had a better season as a RB than Revis did as a CB.

Chris Johnson coming off as a smart/good guy in this situation. He gets a $2 million pay increase, realizing that "Hey, unless I'm a total moron with this $2.5 million, plus the money I made my first two years, plus my jersey sales money, plus my endorsements, etc., I should be set for life even if I get hurt this season."

plus the injury insurance he will undoubtedly get to protect him until he gets the big guaranteed money contract

Thank you, Chris.

As for those who keep talking about how this is what the Jets should do with Revis please realize that in order to MAYBE be able to do this the Jets would first have to buy back the final two years of his deal, which they have not done yet. As of now Revis is on a 1 year, $1 million deal. Something tells me Darrelle would not be willing to do what CJ did even though CJ had a better season as a RB than Revis did as a CB.

You cant make this comparision. They both had historic seasons. Comparing a running backs productivity to a corners is impossible.

Revis had one of the best seasons any CB has ever had in NFL history and was clearly the best player in the NFL at his position. Well, Chris Johnson had one of the best seasons any RB has ever had in NFL history and was clearly the best player in the NFL at his position as well. He also had multiple years on his contract remaining the same way Revis does.

This (should) clearly put some more leverage in the Jets' court. Revis and his team are probably pissed this morning. Kind of shows how greedy Revis is really being here.

Yeah, only problem is Chris had a case...guy was making 500k. Revis...not so much.

You cant make this comparision. They both had historic seasons. Comparing a running backs productivity to a corners is impossible.

I can compare it this way. Chris Johnson on the Jets, I think we win the SB because we would have been able to control the clock and keep the Colts of the field. Revis couldnt make that happen with his amazing season.

Yeah, only problem is Chris had a case...guy was making 500k. Revis...not so much.

I can compare it this way. Chris Johnson on the Jets, I think we win the SB because we would have been able to control the clock and keep the Colts of the field. Revis couldnt make that happen with his amazing season.

Without Revis, the Jets arent even in that game.

Is this a subtle way of saying "you're right"?

Thanks!

Not at all. It just means your opinion is completely moot because without Darrelle Revis the Jets arent playing in the AFC Championship.

Chris Johnson against the Colts last season:

9 Carries 34 yards

27 carries 117 yards

Well said. I hope it helps.

Revis is only scheduled to make $1M, and CB's make more money than RB's. I think it's safe to say he has pretty much the identical case.

Problem is those final two years that Revis isn't really under contract for, yet. Jets can't move money from a future year that doesn't exist, and probably don't want to guarantee those final two years until they have to.

Still hope they figure something out.

Not at all. It just means your opinion is completely moot because without Darrelle Revis the Jets arent playing in the AFC Championship.

Chris Johnson against the Colts last season:

9 Carries 34 yards

27 carries 117 yards

I was kidding...we are arguing a pointless debate. We wouldnt know one way or the other. As good as Revis was, we were still a 9-7 team that needed luck to get us in the playoffs. Personally, I think someone needs to give Revis that memo.

Revis is only scheduled to make $1M, and CB's make more money than RB's. I think it's safe to say he has pretty much the identical case.

Problem is those final two years that Revis isn't really under contract for, yet. Jets can't move money from a future year that doesn't exist, and probably don't want to guarantee those final two years until they have to.

Still hope they figure something out.

Slats...you cant be serious. Chris Johnson never got a deal any where near Revis. Revis signed off on making 1 mil this year...in fact, he ****ing held out for this deal. The guy signed a very nice rookie deal and has made very good money thus far.

On the other hand, has Chris Johnson even earned a million dollars yet from the Titans?

I hope they figure something out too. In the meantime, F Darrelle Revis, he's a punk.

Slats...you cant be serious. Chris Johnson never got a deal any where near Revis. Revis signed off on making 1 mil this year...in fact, he ****ing held out for this deal. The guy signed a very nice rookie deal and has made very good money thus far.

On the other hand, has Chris Johnson even earned a million dollars yet from the Titans?

Dead serious, and yes. Here's CJ's original contract terms:

According to Halsell, who

And I don't know what Revis holding out has to do with anything. He held out primarily because Tannenbaum was insisting on a six year deal in a slot that rarely signs for longer than five. It was the Jets playing hardball there, not the player.

Revis was selected 14th overall to Johnson's 24th, that's why he had the better rookie contract. And that also has little to do with the right of a player to do everything he possibly can to maximize his his income in a dangerous sport.

One million for this season isn't close to what Revis is worth. Everyone knows this.

i kind of agree that i don't blame revis for negotiating to get as much as he can (would've prefered less media griping, though) but doesn't the flipside also have to be true? do you blame the jets for trying to get the most talent for their buck?

i kind of agree that i don't blame revis for negotiating to get as much as he can (would've prefered less media griping, though) but doesn't the flipside also have to be true? do you blame the jets for trying to get the most talent for their buck?

Of course not.

It's a business. Both sides have to work out what's best for themselves, and know their compromise point. Revis needs to take into account the number of years left on his deal, and the fact that all his leverage rests on how long he's willing to not be paid. He's in a tight spot.

But the Jets have to realize that he could choose to sit out the entire year, lose "only" $1M, and almost certainly be paid next year when the Jets cave by either paying him themselves or trading him to someone who will. He's worth what he's asking for to someone. And if they truly believe that they have a championship caliber team on their hands this season, I think they need to lean towards doing whatever they can to appease Revis enough to play this year.

Of course not.

It's a business. Both sides have to work out what's best for themselves, and know their compromise point. Revis needs to take into account the number of years left on his deal, and the fact that all his leverage rests on how long he's willing to not be paid. He's in a tight spot.

But the Jets have to realize that he could choose to sit out the entire year, lose "only" $1M, and almost certainly be paid next year when the Jets cave by either paying him themselves or trading him to someone who will. He's worth what he's asking for to someone. And if they truly believe that they have a championship caliber team on their hands this season, I think they need to lean towards doing whatever they can to appease Revis enough to play this year.

very reasonable. can you go out on a limb and say what you think a good compromise point will be?

I think Jason did a good job with this: http://nyjetscap.com/reviscontract.html

very reasonable. can you go out on a limb and say what you think a good compromise point will be?

I think Jason did a good job with this: http://nyjetscap.com/reviscontract.html

That is a good article, and a pretty fair deal. I might look for the Jets to go a little heavier on the bonus money (especially in the uncapped year), complete with language stating that he has to give it back if he holds out again. Tie large chunks of his money to workouts and the like.

Overall, not bad, though.

The problem is the Jets will not give a big signing bonus because of the possible lockout next year. The signing bonus is just the upfront money that represents the value of the long term deal which means he would essentially be paid during the lockout which they won't do. They will offer him the same type of deal Fergeson got, which has the guarantees kick in at the beginning of each year so they are protected until the CBA gets resolved. The trouble is that Revis's agent and uncle aren't as reasonable as Fergeson and his people.

That is a good article, and a pretty fair deal. I might look for the Jets to go a little heavier on the bonus money (especially in the uncapped year), complete with language stating that he has to give it back if he holds out again. Tie large chunks of his money to workouts and the like.

Overall, not bad, though.

Why bother writing anything in the contract if the player isn

Dead serious, and yes. Here's CJ's original contract terms:

And I don't know what Revis holding out has to do with anything. He held out primarily because Tannenbaum was insisting on a six year deal in a slot that rarely signs for longer than five. It was the Jets playing hardball there, not the player.

Revis was selected 14th overall to Johnson's 24th, that's why he had the better rookie contract. And that also has little to do with the right of a player to do everything he possibly can to maximize his his income in a dangerous sport.

One million for this season isn't close to what Revis is worth. Everyone knows this.

Didnt know that was the deal he got from his rookie contract. I stand corrected. Could have sworn I read he was only making 500k a year.

Still like the way CJ handled the situation compared to Revis. He hasnt been all up in the media being a bitch.

Still like the way CJ handled the situation compared to Revis. He hasnt been all up in the media being a bitch.

Meh... I think that's mostly a New York thing. Put CJ in NY, and I think you have the identical circus. Outside of pulling himself out of one OTA, I think Darrelle has been pretty good.

Archived