How do we use Sanchez this year?

Bx Jet Fan

In 5 of Marks 8 wins last year, he threw less than 20 passes. I think Tanny and Rex know that at some point in the post season, the kid is going to have to air it out to win the game, its why they went and got Holmes and LaT.

The question I have is this: Do we let the kid sling it early in the season, or do we build him up gradually? Keep in mind that we won't have Holmes for the first 4 games.

In 5 of Marks 8 wins last year, he threw less than 20 passes. I think Tanny and Rex know that at some point in the post season, the kid is going to have to air it out to win the game, its why they went and got Holmes and LaT.

The question I have is this: Do we let the kid sling it early in the season, or do we build him up gradually? Keep in mind that we won't have Holmes for the first 4 games.

Take every opponent as they come.

In week one against the Ravens -even though the Jets won't have Santonio- the best way to attack that team will be thru the air. Edwards, Cotch, and Keller aren't a bad threesome - they should be put to use.

Slats, I think the best recipe to win the most games during the regular season is to limit Marks throws and rely on our ground game and defense. I don't know if that recipe would bring success in the post season when we face an wlite offense again.

I think it would be best if we started Mark of slow for the first 6 weeks or so, and then start increasing his passing attempts into the 25-35 range. That would give him two games together with his full complement of receivers, plus the bye week.

Slats, I think the best recipe to win the most games during the regular season is to limit Marks throws and rely on our ground game and defense. I don't know if that recipe would bring success in the post season when we face an wlite offense again.

I think it would be best if we started Mark of slow for the first 6 weeks or so, and then start increasing his passing attempts into the 25-35 range. That would give him two games together with his full complement of receivers, plus the bye week.

Well I don't know last year they put 8 in the box and sat on those slants because they knew the Jets wouldn't allow him to throw deep. I say let him air it out to let them know hell we have weapons and we will use them, a little play action also to keep them honest should loosen up the defenses as well. Playaction and screens will kill a teams blitzing pedigree quick!!!!!

Definitely QB, could not agree more, but if needed throw him in there on defense too.

I can't remember one play last year where he had any impact on the defensive side of the ball, he really has to step that part of his game up.

While he is at his traditional position of QB I would like to see a more balanced attack, he's got plenty of weapons. Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, or Keller could all end up having career years if they let him air it out more.

Definitely QB, could not agree more, but if needed throw him in there on defense too.

I can't remember one play last year where he had any impact on the defensive side of the ball, he really has to step that part of his game up.

While he is at his traditional position of QB I would like to see a more balanced attack, he's got plenty of weapons. Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, or Keller could all end up having career years if they let him air it out more.

I would like to see big JENKS get the rock on goaline

Wow, lotta trolls on here. I asked a serious question-nowhere did I say what position he should play. I was wondering if we should continue to keep Marks attempts low and let him be more of a game manager, risk a win or two by having him air it out, or something in between.

Wow, lotta trolls on here. I asked a serious question-nowhere did I say what position he should play. I was wondering if we should continue to keep Marks attempts low and let him be more of a game manager, risk a win or two by having him air it out, or something in between.

ha! I think it had more to do with your thread title.

You gotta let the kid come along at his pace. Obviously the team is good enough to win games despite his play. So dont force him to do anything out of his comfort zone, which I think he found in the playoffs.

Let the game come to him. That's how he will be most effective.

ha! I think it had more to do with your thread title.

You gotta let the kid come along at his pace. Obviously the team is good enough to win games despite his play. So dont force him to do anything out of his comfort zone, which I think he found in the playoffs.

Let the game come to him. That's how he will be most effective.

This first game in Baltimore is going to be a huge test for him with all the storylines and it is now an official rivalry we took there coach and MLB and safety. this Defense the first game for Baltimore will be more aggressive then ever. How he plays this game will cater to his confidence be it good or bad

Good thread.

I think they want to be a running team that throws more than they did last year. I could see them passing to set up the run at times. The thing is they will have to run if they want to make any noise in the postseason. But to run the ball as much as they did last year, it seemed to beat everyone up...

Balance between the running and passing games are the best shot at going in fresh and strong.

Good thread.

I think they want to be a running team that throws more than they did last year. I could see them passing to set up the run at times. The thing is they will have to run if they want to make any noise in the postseason. But to run the ball as much as they did last year, it seemed to beat everyone up...

Balance between the running and passing games are the best shot at going in fresh and strong.

I agree that is where I think this Vlad kid is going to excel in the run game he is a big bodied athlete that is a bruiser, but in the passing game I hope he grasps the blocking scheme with all the stunts and blitz's that are going to come his way

The Colts beat us by 13 and the Saints beat us by 14 last year. I'm not going to mention our win against the Colts during the regular season. I am assuming that we are going to run into an elite offense somewhere in the playoffs again. I dont know that unless we groom Sanchez to be an attacking QB we would have any more success against Elite O's than we have before.

I think that last year when we made the trade for Braylon that it had to screw Sanchez up some. We slid Braylon into the No1 and slid JCo over. That has to screw any QB up just from a timing perspective. Then 2 weeks later Leon goes down.

I think with Holmes out for the first 4 weeks, Rex needs to keep the training wheels on Sanchez. Leave them on in weeks 5-6, but tell Mark that the offense is going to change when we get back from the bye week.

This first game in Baltimore is going to be a huge test for him with all the storylines and it is now an official rivalry we took there coach and MLB and safety. this Defense the first game for Baltimore will be more aggressive then ever. How he plays this game will cater to his confidence be it good or bad

Baltimore's aggressiveness will be partly dependent on whether they have Ed Reed in the lineup or not.

IMO, a big part of the problem last year was the the team never let Sanchez get into any sort of a groove. They'd run when they could, and threw when they had to. So the vast majority of his passes came on obvious passing downs, and teams were in position to defend.

I'm very excited about the addition of Santonio Holmes, but let him earn his catches when he comes back from his suspension. Edwards, Cotch, and Keller is a nice trio, and LT out of the backfield is a nice option, too. I want to see a lot more passing on first and second down this year. Let Sanchez feel the game so that when he needs to get the big completion he's already comfortable.

And do it early. The more reps he gets in the passing game, the more comfortable he'll be down the stretch. The Jets think they're a Super Bowl team. They need to take the training wheels off the QB.

IMO, a big part of the problem last year was the the team never let Sanchez get into any sort of a groove. They'd run when they could, and threw when they had to. So the vast majority of his passes came on obvious passing downs, and teams were in position to defend.

I'm very excited about the addition of Santonio Holmes, but let him earn his catches when he comes back from his suspension. Edwards, Cotch, and Keller is a nice trio, and LT out of the backfield is a nice option, too. I want to see a lot more passing on first and second down this year. Let Sanchez feel the game so that when he needs to get the big completion he's already comfortable.

And do it early. The more reps he gets in the passing game, the more comfortable he'll be down the stretch. The Jets think they're a Super Bowl team. They need to take the training wheels off the QB.

I agree for all that, but also because I don't want to see Shonn Greene getting 400 touches this year and being shot by December.

The Colts beat us by 13 and the Saints beat us by 14 last year. I'm not going to mention our win against the Colts during the regular season. I am assuming that we are going to run into an elite offense somewhere in the playoffs again. I dont know that unless we groom Sanchez to be an attacking QB we would have any more success against Elite O's than we have before.

I think that last year when we made the trade for Braylon that it had to screw Sanchez up some. We slid Braylon into the No1 and slid JCo over. That has to screw any QB up just from a timing perspective. Then 2 weeks later Leon goes down.

I think with Holmes out for the first 4 weeks, Rex needs to keep the training wheels on Sanchez. Leave them on in weeks 5-6, but tell Mark that the offense is going to change when we get back from the bye week.

I don't think either one of those losses had anything to do with Sanchez not being an "attacking QB."

We lost the Saints game because a rookie QB in his fourth start made a few rookie mistakes. Our defense held the Saints elite offense to 10 points. It wouldn't take an aggressive offense to win that game. A mistake free game would have won that one.

We lost the AFC Championship Game for two reasons: 1. Our inability to run the ball and keep the defense honest after Shonn Green got hurt. 2. Our defense's inability to match up against the Saints WRs due to a lack of depth in the secondary.

What needs to happen this year is Sanchez needs to get more opportunities to throw on 1st and 2nd down and pick up about 6-8 more passing attempts per game.

A little more balance on this offense and it can be the type of offense that consistently scores 22-25 points per game which will win us a lot of game if the defense is consistently allowing 17 or less.

Archived