Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

the Jets made alot of money on Revis' old deal. People talk about the 15 mil he's made already as if he stole it. He basically played 3 years at a rate less than Aso in 1 year. He was worth more than 15 for last year alone.

its funny how the fans can't wait to throw this baby out with the bathwater. did you see the reserve CBs the other night? They need this player, badly.

No doubt man - the "reserves" couldn't cover their mouths. But how much talent is the team going to be denied when 1/6 of the cap allotment goes to one (defensive) player?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt man - the "reserves" couldn't cover their mouths. But how much talent is the team going to be denied when 1/6 of the cap allotment goes to one (defensive) player?

Well, it all depends how much of a signing bonus the Jets cough up in what is a non-capped year.

If Revis' camp is satisfied with the big-time guaranteed money up-front — as opposed to ASO money annually — I think the two sides will come to an agreement.

While it's a risky proposition considering Revis' propensity to holdout, I really don't see any other way this deal gets done.

Basically, I think the Jets have to stop using the "we have him under contract" as a point of leverage. The present contract obviously means very little, as both parties agreed to rip it up back in February.

But how much talent is the team going to be denied when 1/6 of the cap allotment goes to one (defensive) player?

not too long ago, this team signed Pace, Scott, Faneca and still had money left over for Favre, and that was with a cap. i dont buy any argument that talks about frugal money management.

I want the team to win a Super Bowl. What do you want?

I want to know what that has to do with this ridiculous statement.

whats the point of playing at a super high level when the team sees nothing wrong with planning to pay 7 DB's more money?

I'm waiting...

there is no future

they have basically 1 shot. 2010. they aren't gonna be this loaded in 2012.

You kidding me with this dude? Why, because we lose LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Taylor? Do you want me to reel off the players who will be here in 2012 (including Revis, who is under contract for the next 3 years lest we forget)?

As long as Rex is here this team contends for a Super Bowl. Bank on it.

Dreamin' Believin'

there are 31 losers every year 1 winner.

message board logic dicates they will be really awesome every single year

the reality this is their best shot since 1999. and before that maybe 1985...

it's a once in a 10-15 year thing to have a team this good

it's a once in 10-15 year thing to have a player as good as Revis.

leave it to SOJ to cock it up.

there are about 10 key guys who will be retired or gone by 2012.

10 KEY guys? I can't even name 10 potential retirees, and only a few of them are "key" players:

Damien Woody

Jason Taylor

LaDainian Tomlinson

Shaun Ellis

Kris Jenkins

Tony Richardson

Mark Brunell

Laveranues Coles

Who else you got?

Message board logic? The entire core of the Jets roster is insanely young and talented.

Mark Sanchez

Shonn Greene

Darrelle Revis

Santonio Holmes

Nick Mangold

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Dustin Keller

Jerricho Cotchery

David Harris

Antonio Cromartie

Kyle Wilson

Jim Leonhard

Braylon Edwards

All of these guys are 28 or younger.

How come none of that means anything to MEvi$?

You act like they are a lock with him, well they're not!

What if they don't win it all this year?

It's your logic that leads to your "10-15 year thing" that's exactly why you don't sign 1 player to 1/6 of the cap!

You're just as unreasonable as the deal you want MEvi$ to get!

You kidding me with this dude? Why, because we lose LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Taylor? Do you want me to reel off the players who will be here in 2012 (including Revis, who is under contract for the next 3 years lest we forget)?

As long as Rex is here this team contends for a Super Bowl. Bank on it.

I'd love to see the list of key Jets right now under contract in 2012.

Message board logic? The entire core of the Jets roster is insanely young and talented.

Mark Sanchez

Shonn Greene

Darrelle Revis - HOLDOUT

Santonio Holmes

Nick Mangold

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Dustin Keller

Jerricho Cotchery

David Harris

Antonio Cromartie

Kyle Wilson

Jim Leonhard

Braylon Edwards

more than half that list isn't under contract in 2012.

before that they also lose Shaun Ellis, Pool, and prob Richardson and Jenks to Retirement.

This is their real shot. No they aren't guaranteed anything but this is about as good as shot as Jets fans are gonna see for a long time.

before that they also lose Shaun Ellis, Pool, and prob Richardson and Jenks to Retirement.

This is their real shot. No they aren't guaranteed anything but this is about as good as shot as Jets fans are gonna see for a long time.

One would think you would want to retain as many as those bolded players as you can.

But you want the Jets' a$$ all propped up for the big ME, instead of trying to work out something to retain more.

Thank God someone else has a brain.

Folks, do you think Cro and Revis will EVER have a shot to play in the same secondary?

No. Chance.

Do you think both David Harris and Mangold are both coming back?

If so, get a damn clew. Mangold's the best at his position in the league and won't be paid a penny less for his services. He was mentored by Faneca — 'nuff said. WAKE UP.

We need to get Revis on the field and give this a LEGIT shot. The window doesn't open this wide that often — especially for the ******* Jets.

Thank God someone else has a brain.

Folks, do you think Cro and Revis will EVER have a shot to play in the same secondary?

No. Chance.

Do you think both David Harris and Mangold are coming back?

If so, get a damn clew. Mangold's the best at his position in the league and won't be paid a penny less for his services. He was mentored by Faneca — 'nuff said. WAKE UP.

We need to get Revis on the field and give this a LEGIT shot. The window doesn't open this wide that often — especially for the ******* Jets.

We can get Revis on the field AND have some money so we don't lose both a Harris AND a Cromartie.

Please clarify... what you don't understand about these statements?

it seems pretty straight forward.

I want the team to win a Super Bowl. What do you want?

I want to know what that has to do with this ridiculous statement:

whats the point of playing at a super high level when the team sees nothing wrong with planning to pay 7 DB's more money?

Please tell me what is straight forward about that^

QB - SANCHEZ

RB - GREENE

FB - CONNOR

TE - KELLER

WR - COTCHERY

LT - FERGUSON

LG - SLAUSON OR DUCASSE

RG - MOORE

RT - WOODY OR DUCASSE

DE - DEVITO

NT - JENKINS

DE/OLB - GHOLSTON (lol)

OLB - PACE

ILB - SCOTT

CB - REVIS

CB - WILSON

This doesn't include players who are likely to be retained:

MANGOLD (will be extended or franchised. He's not simply hitting free agency)

POOL (more likely to re-sign than not if we want him)

LEONHARD (more likely to re-sign than not if we want him)

EDWARDS or HOLMES (pretty doubtful the Jets retain neither)

It also doesn't include a single draft pick in 2011 or 2012.

Find another NFL team with as rich of a list as that in 2012 before you poo-poo on it.

I don't know where you get this notion that Rex Ryan is the last HC that players want to play for and are more likely to go elsewhere than stay here when given the opportunity. Who exactly have the Jets let walk into free agency that they badly wanted to retain?

Thank God I'm not the only one with brain damage.

No Chance especially if we bend over for MEVi$

Do you think both David Harris and Mangold are both coming back?

Again no Chance especially if we bend over for MEVi$

Fixed, but you still have your pants around your ankles.

I can't help you with that.

there is no future

there are about 10 key guys who will be retired or gone by 2012.

they have basically 1 shot. 2010. they aren't gonna be this loaded in 2012.

I disagree that this is the only shot. This will still be a good team.

Big picture-the Jets with Revis are prohibitive favorites to represent the AFC in Dallas in February. Without him they are looking at a hard but not impossible road. I'd rather the former than the later. Let's say the Revis-less Jets miss the playoffs by a game, or lose a close playoff game. All this salary cap teeth-nashing is going to look really silly. And it's kinda been EXACTLY the stupid kind of thing this franchise has been doing for 40+ years.

Piss away the later half of Namath's career with a cheap supporting cast.

Trade Riggins for a bag of trinkets.

Draft Lam Jones over Jerry Rice.

Pass on Dan Marino.

Eff up drafting Favre and wind up with Browining Nagle.

Hire Bruce Coslet, Dick Kotite and Herman Edwards.

I understand Revis renogiating mid-contract is slimy. Yet as a hater of salary caps recognize the dumbass NFL system is in place to suppress salaries of athletes who have very short careers, and careers like Leon Washington's which can go from bright to dark in a single play.

Cannot be said strongly enough-there are too many fans that have a disconnect that lets them think there's some great honor in wonderful cap management.I could give a flying f___. There is no Lombardi given because you managed to eff a few players out of salary.

5 minutes after the cap goes in place owners spend time and money trying to circumvent it. The 49ers and Broncos in championship years broke the rules, and they didn't get their trophies yanked. And that's all we know about. We also know Parcells bent, folded and mutilated the cap rules to get Curtis Martin here. Suspect none of those are isolated examples. And after spending half of $1.6 billion on a new and mostly pointless new stadium and effing many of us on PSLs, it's a little late in the game for Little Lord Fauntelory Less Nessman corksucker of an owner to start crying poverty. Gimme a f___in' break-NOW you're POOR?

If we had an owner with balls, Donald Trump, George Steinbrenner, Mike Illitch-#24 would be on the field now.

The idea is to win football games. Revis makes that easier. And suspect that on 9/13 he will be playing and all this is a kabuki dance of nonsense by both sides.

Revis is going to cost money, dude.

He's an exceptional talent.

If you want to drive a Maserati, you can't expect to pay Audi prices.

That's just the way life is.

I have no problem with it costing money, but just because 1 schmuck paid $16 million for one, does not mean I'm going to want my team to do it.

I'm all for him getting paid, but it's ridiculous to want to see us get raped with a $16/$160 deal which is what MEvi$ is holding out for.

Doubtful, but maybe today you will get it.

Archived