Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

The 30% rule does not apply to bonus money. If the Jets were nearly as concerned about the cap as the fans seem to be, they could've given the good soldier D'Brick a huge chunk of money upfront thus saving themselves money against future caps. They chose not to do that. They could do the same with Mangold and Harris, but they aren't. Why?

What collusion?

Look around the league. No one is getting big cash bonuses this year. Why? My guess is the impending lockout. They don't want players flush with cash, they want players hurting and eager to deal. Originally the union was touting the uncapped season as a potential bonanza for the players. Instead it's been a terrible year for free agency. Guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are still waiting on deals. Vince Jackson and Marcus McNeill are waiting on deals from San Diego. Veterans just aren't getting paid. If the union wants to put together a case for collusion, they probably could. It's tough to prove, but the circumstantial evidence is there.

Guarantees make more sense than up-front bonus money for a franchise. Same money, but the player has to actually show up and play to get it. There is no retiring early, there is no concern for holdouts, and guaranteeing against skill makes sense anyway. Guaranteed pay against injuries are one thing. But if a player isn't as good as he was when he was elite, a team shouldn't be locked into paying him like he's still elite. Full guarantees lock a team into that, and so does a signing bonus.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But we are not talking about jags. We are talking about the jets leading tackler in harris, the anchor of the o-line in mangold, a SB MVP in Holmes, and exceptional talent in Edwards, etc. One torn ACL and losing a host of these players for one Cornerback, however good, looks like putting all you eggs in one basket is a foolish move.

this has to be my biggest pet peeve of late

the idea that somehow Signing Revis will prevent the Jets from signing 5 pro bowlers. It doesn't work that way. They are never gonna sign all those guys, regardless of Revis.

1 revis is worth maybe 2 of those players. Maybe 1 of those players and a couple mil in change.

if Revis is worth 16, then Cro is worth 14.

Let's not pretend Cro, Edwards, Harris, Holmes and mangold are all signing for the price of 1 player Revis.

Guarantees make more sense than up-front bonus money for a franchise. Same money, but the player has to actually show up and play to get it. There is no retiring early, there is no concern for holdouts, and guaranteeing against skill makes sense anyway. Guaranteed pay against injuries are one thing. But if a player isn't as good as he was when he was elite, a team shouldn't be locked into paying him like he's still elite. Full guarantees lock a team into that, and so does a signing bonus.

That's a periferal argument.

You can pay 20-something OL at the top of their games big signing bonuses pretty safely. We're not talking about talking about the evil, hold-out addict Revis here. Talking about the good soldiers like D'Brick and Mangold. Fans are so, so worried about the salary cap, and here the team has at it's disposal an uncapped season where the potential exists to hide some dollars - and they're not doing it. All around the league it's the same thing - no one's doing it. They love to use the cap as an excuse not to pay players, but when they have a legal ability to get around it - they balk.

There's a little more to it than every owner at the same time suddenly getting frugal, don't you think?

Peter King>MONDAY MORNING QB

Everyone wants to know if Revis will come in by the Sept. 13 opener, and I think it's more likely he will than won't. To explain the contract in brief: Revis will make $1 million this year, and at the end of the season, the Jets would have the right to exercise the final two years of the contract at a total of $20 million for the two, or they could release him. Barring major injury, it's certain they'd exercise the option. That means Revis, under the existing contract, would make about $21 million over the next three years.

With Nnamdi Asomugha in the midst of a $15-million-a-year deal -- signed in 2009, when he was a free-agent -- and no other cornerback making more than $10 million annually, Revis is in a tough spot. He certainly deserves a raise. But he has three years left on this deal, and the Jets have three or four young players they'll want to extend soon, guys who are among the best at their positions (center Nick Mangold, linebacker David Harris). The Jets have determined in-house they cannot tear up the deal and pay Revis a penny more than Asomugha. They also know the Raiders may not exercise the option of Asomugha's third year, and if he hits the open market, it's doubtful anyone would pay him what the Raiders paid him in 2009.

The only way I see this getting done is the Jets throwing a good-faith signing bonus at Revis right now, maybe $8 million, and adding one year to the end of his contract at, say, $12 million. That'd give Revis, in effect, four years and $41 million -- which would be less than Asomugha, but remember, Revis is dealing from the disadvantage of having three years left on his deal. That would be a bitter solution to Revis, I believe, but it may be the only one that puts him back in the game now. I don't see the Jets caving and giving him a deal anywhere near Asomugha's -- not with so much time left on the contract and with the prospect of a job action next year.

That's a periferal argument.

You can pay 20-something OL at the top of their games big signing bonuses pretty safely. We're not talking about talking about the evil, hold-out addict Revis here. Talking about the good soldiers like D'Brick and Mangold. Fans are so, so worried about the salary cap, and here the team has at it's disposal an uncapped season where the potential exists to hide some dollars - and they're not doing it. All around the league it's the same thing - no one's doing it. They love to use the cap as an excuse not to pay players, but when they have a legal ability to get around it - they balk.

There's a little more to it than every owner at the same time suddenly getting frugal, don't you think?

So the Jets did one better. They guaranteed it after this season. If Ferguson gets a career-ending injury this season an insurance company pays up instead of the team having to come up with $30M on future salary caps for a player no longer playing.

Players should get paid for playing. Sudden, career-ending injuries should be covered under insurance policies. If their skill erodes the team should be able to cut the player without crucifying the team's salary cap.

And 20-something OL'men currently being at the top of their game doesn't mean they will still be next year or in 3 years. A team should be able to cut ties with a player no longer living up to the level of play that got him a big contract in the first place. As a fan of the team, you shouldn't want your team to be saddled with an albatross contract like that because of non-football views of have's and have-not's.

If a player sucks, either through newly eroded skills or newly acquired laziness, he should be able to be cut without killing the team's ability to replace him. If he sustains a tragic injury, have an insurance policy pay for it rather than hampering a team's salary cap due to injury guarantees.

Absent a salary cap, I have no problems with teams paying those injury guarantees. I have no problem with the premiums for insurance policies being paid for by the team, and those premiums coming off the cap. But a team risking $40M in guaranteed payment for a player whose career can end this summer before game 1 of a new contract hurts us as fans more than owners who will just raise hot dog and soda prices by $1.25 to make up for it.

But a team risking $40M in guaranteed payment for a player whose career can end this summer before game 1 of a new contract hurts us as fans more than owners who will just raise hot dog and soda prices by $1.25 to make up for it.

No one said a $40M signing bonus. No reason to exaggerate if you really have a point.

People are crying about the salary cap in this thread, I'm pointing out that it's a bigger concern to them than it is to the Jets. D'Brick got a $1.6M bump in an uncapped year, and signed on for something that's supposed to pass for $30M or so in bonuses beyond that. If they were concerned about the salary cap, and wanted Brick under contract for a long time, certainly the risk is pretty low for injury/hold-outs from a good soldier like Brick who (I don't think) has ever missed a game to injury. Even a $10M payment up front to save some cap costs down the road would've helped. In previous years, such a bonus would've been considered the norm on an extension like his. All of a sudden -in an uncapped year- even standard sized bonuses are nowhere to be found.

Same goes for guys like Mangold and Harris. Neither is a hold out risk, or they'd be holding out right now. They could afford to bump up the upfront money on guys like this (not astronomically), and thus be able to construct a contract for the evil Revis that makes it harder for him to hold out in the future.

But no one seems to be interested in handing out those bonuses this year.

It works for the Colts cause Manning is the best player at the most important position. He'll basically win surrounded by jags..

He's always been surrounded by talent though. He had a HOF'er in Harrison and the Edge in his prime years. He's currently got Wayne and the best pass catching TE in the league, not to mention a couple of pretty decent RB's. They obviously have built strong Olines around him.

While I dont doubt that Manning could make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, he's never had to.

No one said a $40M signing bonus. No reason to exaggerate if you really have a point. People are crying about the salary cap in this thread, I'm pointing out that it's a bigger concern to them than it is to the Jets. D'Brick got a $1.6M bump in an uncapped year, and signed on for something that's supposed to pass for $30M or so in bonuses beyond that. If they were concerned about the salary cap, and wanted Brick under contract for a long time, certainly the risk is pretty low for injury/hold-outs from a good soldier like Brick who (I don't think) has ever missed a game to injury. Even a $10M payment up front to save some cap costs down the road would've helped. In previous years, such a bonus would've been considered the norm on an extension like his. All of a sudden -in an uncapped year- even standard sized bonuses are nowhere to be found. Same goes for guys like Mangold and Harris. Neither is a hold out risk, or they'd be holding out right now. They could afford to bump up the upfront money on guys like this (not astronomically), and thus be able to construct a contract for the evil Revis that makes it harder for him to hold out in the future. But no one seems to be interested in handing out those bonuses this year.
The only way to fully guarantee $30M to $40M is to give it as a signing bonus. It is not an exaggeration. Brick's guaranteed amount is between $30M and $40M and Revis's guarantee demand is (allegedly) $45M.

The only way to fully guarantee $30M to $40M is to give it as a signing bonus. It is not an exaggeration. Brick's guaranteed amount is between $30M and $40M and Revis's guarantee demand is (allegedly) $45M.

Again, no one said fully guarantee - although if the Jets were that concerned about the salary cap in the future, that option was available to them this year.

Instead, the Jets are so unconcerned about the salary cap that they didn't even give Brick something resembling a standard signing bonus for a deal his size. There's a lot of room to hide some money in an uncapped year between the $1.6M he got and the $30-40M he's rumored to be "guaranteed."

Which was my point: The Jets are far less concerned about the cap than the fans spouting off about it in this thread.

Again, no one said fully guarantee - although if the Jets were that concerned about the salary cap in the future, that option was available to them this year.

Instead, the Jets are so unconcerned about the salary cap that they didn't even give Brick something resembling a standard signing bonus for a deal his size. There's a lot of room to hide some money in an uncapped year between the $1.6M he got and the $30-40M he's rumored to be "guaranteed."

Which was my point: The Jets are far less concerned about the cap than the fans spouting off about it in this thread.

i think brick is far less concerned about the guaranteed money in his contract than you are

Believe me I understand what you're saying. But your situation only works out better if players don't get injured badly and don't ever trail off in performance and don't ever hold out.

The difference is the Jets, like many teams now, want to get away from up-front cash signing bonuses in general. A player should be incentivized to continue performing or risk getting cut. They've been moving more from signing bonuses to guaranteed money for a while now. Facing a potential lockout, you're just seeing it really in action.

The way you're looking at it only helps the salary cap IF the player continues to perform at an elite or near-elite level. If his play trails off, a team cannot really cut him due to an accelerated cap hit. However, if it is guaranteed for a certain minimum amount of total money, usually the first 2-3 years of an extension, without a hefty signing bonus, then after those 2-3 years there is no cap penalty for cutting an underperforming player. From that standpoint, it costs the team less to pay more as they go rather than spread a signing bonus over a number of years. The former probably costs more in the short-term, but in the long-term it prevents a team from moving on. Worse still, a team could end up having to do what we did with Curtis Martin: keep extending him with additional salaries, even though everyone knew his career was over, to avoid a balloon cap hit.

At least with the "guaranteed salary" route you're only paying for what you're getting. What happens if a player gets suspended for 4 games? Did Calvin Pace lose 4 game checks or did he lose 4 game checks plus an amortized portion of his signing bonus? He only lost the former. The team shouldn't have to pay him for games the league suspended him from playing. Because he got it in a signing bonus, technically he got paid for games he was suspended from playing.

I learn more about how football works in a Sperm Edwards-Slats back-and-forth than I would from any media outlet.

I like this with Slats. He doesn't reply with idiotic keywords like "hater" and other insults as a substitution for a point he's unable to make. He and I disagree on this subject, but at least we both see where the other is coming from, and it isn't hate. I mean, I hate him, but not because of this, lol.

Believe me I understand what you're saying. But your situation only works out better if players don't get injured badly and don't ever trail off in performance and don't ever hold out.

The difference is the Jets, like many teams now, want to get away from up-front cash signing bonuses in general. A player should be incentivized to continue performing or risk getting cut. They've been moving more from signing bonuses to guaranteed money for a while now. Facing a potential lockout, you're just seeing it really in action.

And that's where I think the collusion comes in. Just two years ago, the Jets gave Calvin Pace an $11M signing bonus.

The way you're looking at it only helps the salary cap IF the player continues to perform at an elite or near-elite level. If his play trails off, a team cannot really cut him due to an accelerated cap hit. However, if it is guaranteed for a certain minimum amount of total money, usually the first 2-3 years of an extension, without a hefty signing bonus, then after those 2-3 years there is no cap penalty for cutting an underperforming player. From that standpoint, it costs the team less to pay more as they go rather than spread a signing bonus over a number of years. The former probably costs more in the short-term, but in the long-term it prevents a team from moving on. Worse still, a team could end up having to do what we did with Curtis Martin: keep extending him with additional salaries, even though everyone knew his career was over, to avoid a balloon cap hit.

At least with the "guaranteed salary" route you're only paying for what you're getting. What happens if a player gets suspended for 4 games? Did Calvin Pace lose 4 game checks or did he lose 4 game checks plus an amortized portion of his signing bonus? He only lost the former. The team shouldn't have to pay him for games the league suspended him from playing. Because he got it in a signing bonus, technically he got paid for games he was suspended from playing.

But this is exactly why bonus money would be a pretty safe option with guys like Brick and Mangold who are young, healthy, solid players, and model citizens. These are the guys you give that bonus money to in order to help you out with the cap. Especially in an uncapped year. To me, if they're truly concerned about the cap going forward, this was a wasted opportunity.

I haven't studied Brick's deal, but what does the guarantee even mean if they can cut him down the line without paying him? And if there's something that constitutes a real guarantee in there, what real advantage is there in giving him that instead of some sort of bonus now that never would've shown up on the cap?

I think the only real advantage is is not handing over a lot of ,money before the lockout - as you suggest.

I like this with Slats. He doesn't reply with idiotic keywords like "hater" and other insults as a substitution for a point he's unable to make. He and I disagree on this subject, but at least we both see where the other is coming from, and it isn't hate. I mean, I hate him, but not because of this, lol.

It's true, Sperm hates me.

I think low (or absent) signing bonuses is mostly due to a pending lockout. Collusion shlowshusion. If I'm an owner I'm not writing an 8-figure advance-payment check to any employee who threatens to walk off the job after 1 more year of work.

And I get what you're saying re guys like Mangold and Brick. But if they're trying to set precedents with all future contracts, it doesn't help future negotiations to say to future players that you just don't do that anymore, then make 1 or 2 exceptions, then again try to say you just don't do that anymore.

Mangold makes me nervous more than anyone else. Once the season is over his injury risk - and therefore any hope of even a slightly below-market deal - is gone. So is the need for Mangold to sign a deal with the Jets instead of another team. He'll be a free agent (technically a restricted one, but effectively he'll be an unrestricted one; if there's a season next year at all it'll be under a new CBA and that 6-year stuff will be out) and if I were him I'd let the market among 32 teams dictate my price if I had to wait for the season to be over. I think technically the Jets have to wait for his contract to end and then at like 12:01 sign him to a new deal to get around the 30% rule. Problem is at 12:01 he's free to sign with anyone.

Same thing applies to Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards, and Pool. But we'll already have a super-priced CB (probably) and a super-priced ILB. So Cromartie and Harris may be luxuries that are just too expensive given the guys we already have (unless we want a team full of 6th round-priced depth. But we don't have another all-pro center on the team. We'll see how that goes.

I think low (or absent) signing bonuses is mostly due to a pending lockout. Collusion shlowshusion. If I'm an owner I'm not writing an 8-figure advance-payment check to any employee who threatens to walk off the job after 1 more year of work.

And I get what you're saying re guys like Mangold and Brick. But if they're trying to set precedents with all future contracts, it doesn't help future negotiations to say to future players that you just don't do that anymore, then make 1 or 2 exceptions, then again try to say you just don't do that anymore.

Mangold makes me nervous more than anyone else. Once the season is over his injury risk - and therefore any hope of even a slightly below-market deal - is gone. So is the need for Mangold to sign a deal with the Jets instead of another team. He'll be a free agent (technically a restricted one, but effectively he'll be an unrestricted one; if there's a season next year at all it'll be under a new CBA and that 6-year stuff will be out) and if I were him I'd let the market among 32 teams dictate my price if I had to wait for the season to be over. I think technically the Jets have to wait for his contract to end and then at like 12:01 sign him to a new deal to get around the 30% rule. Problem is at 12:01 he's free to sign with anyone.

Same thing applies to Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards, and Pool. But we'll already have a super-priced CB (probably) and a super-priced ILB. So Cromartie and Harris may be luxuries that are just too expensive given the guys we already have (unless we want a team full of 6th round-priced depth. But we don't have another all-pro center on the team. We'll see how that goes.

yup. this year is our best shot. revis is no fool.

But that's not the case, is it? It's the owners threatening to lock the players out of their jobs - not the players threatening to strike. They'd have a little more sympathy from me if that were the case. I look forward to hearing about how the owners should all be honoring the players' contracts if/when they go thru with their job action. I mean - they signed these contracts, they should honor them! Ha-rumph, ha-rumph, ha-rumph...

It remains to be seen if this is a new trend, or strictly collusion prior to a lockout. I think it's collusion. I think the big bonuses will be back once a new CBA's in place.

But that's not the case, is it? It's the owners threatening to lock the players out of their jobs - not the players threatening to strike. They'd have a little more sympathy from me if that were the case. I look forward to hearing about how the owners should all be honoring the players' contracts if/when they go thru with their job action. I mean - they signed these contracts, they should honor them! Ha-rumph, ha-rumph, ha-rumph...

It remains to be seen if this is a new trend, or strictly collusion prior to a lockout. I think it's collusion. I think the big bonuses will be back once a new CBA's in place.

i don't think it's collusion so much as rational GMs acting rationally given the uncertainty ahead.

Report: Union asked Revis camp to keep quiet

Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2010 7:11 PM ET

Well, now we're beginning to understand why the agents for Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis agreed to say nothing regarding the negotiations with the team as of last Thursday.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said moments ago on the Giants-Jets pregame show that the NFLPA specifically reached out to the Revis camp and asked them to keep quiet.

The move makes sense. With the union fighting a much broader P.R. war in the context of the labor deal, the players generally won't benefit from creating the perception that they are greedy.

Yeah it's hard not to look greedy when your only motivation to play is making $1 more than Namdi Assmooha. Guy went from hard hat type to full blown diva in one freaking year. Unbelievable.

Nice read from a former Packers VP:

yahoo-print-logo.png

• Inside the Revis Talks

The Darrelle Revis(notes) holdout and its surrounding drama illustrate a couple of realities of negotiations that I learned the hard way in my years as an agent and a team executive.

Players have selective hearing

This negotiation started in the moments following the AFCchampionship game in January when, in the afterglow of a wonderfulseason, Jets management made effusive comments to Revis about hisimportance to the team, the need for a contract upgrade and himbecoming a transcendent star in the biggest market in the country.

Revisand his agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, took those words toheart. They have held dearly to that conversation to make the Jetsmatch those words with financial commitment.

Of course, coaches and team executives always say nice things abouttheir players; it is part of the job. To Revis, though, this was beyondcoachspeak. In their minds, it was the opening salvo on what they expected to be a massive contract extension for a game-changing player.

History matters

Sports, and football in particular, is a very small world. Teamsnegotiate with a relatively small number of agents over and over again,sometimes with leverage and sometimes without. It’s a long horse raceand relationships matter.

Applying this principle to the Revis situation, Schwartz and Feinsod have represented players on the Jets in recent years—Pete Kendall(notes) and Chris Baker—who felt that they weren’t being treated honestly in their time with the Jets.

Further, it comes as no surprise that the 2007 rookie negotiationsbetween the club and Revis resulted in a holdout, with Revis notsigning until Aug. 15 of that year.

The rookie contract

I remember the summer of 2007 negotiating the Packers' pick two slots away from Revis, Justin Harrell(notes) (no snickers, please).I knew that Mike Tannenbaum of the Jets, a longtime colleague, wasinsisting on a six-year deal for Revis but that we would not be able tohelp his cause. We would raise the length as an issue but eventuallyrelent in exchange for other terms.

Not only could I not help Mike but also none of the picks around us were demanding six years. Surrounding picks such as Marshawn Lynch(notes) and the Bills, Adam Carriker(notes) and the Rams and Lawrence Timmons(notes) of the Steelers all went for five years. Tannenbaum was carrying the sword by himself on that one. And succeeded.

The contract was an intricate one, a four-year deal with a “buyback”bonus for years five and six of $100 – yes, $100 – and thenguaranteeing those two years for a price of $15.7 million. Those years– 2011 and 2012 – seem very remote now, as Revis appears intent – forthe moment—on not playing 2010.

Revis has made $15 million on his rookie contract entering thisyear. Although there is much in the media about the scheduled $1million for 2010, the $15 million paid to Revis for 2007-2009 is a moreaccurate analysis of his pay since being drafted by the team.

Revis reps

Schwartz and Feinsod – who I have dealt with on several players—areseasoned and professional agents who are no strangers to difficultnegotiations, now experiencing another in San Diego with Vincent Jackson(notes).

Like many agents, they have a high—some team executives would say inflated—opinionof the worth of players they represent and can be unwavering innegotiations on their offers. Here, they feel Revis is aonce-in-a-generation player and are emboldened by Jets’ management andcoaches fawning over Revis.

I experienced some of this on a lesser level with a player named Vonnie Holliday(notes)with the Packers. We had a fundamental difference in value concerningHolliday. After weeks of difficult negotiations, we were unable to cometo agreement. Holliday left the Packers to sign with the Chiefs in freeagency, although switching agents in the process to Schwartz’s cousin (it's a tough business). I was later called as a witness in arbitration regarding fees owed to Schwartz and Feinsod from Holliday.

Frustration game

The parties continue to frustrate each other with their proposalsand positions on the value of Revis, with no movement and no end insight. The Jets are willing to reward the player and are willing totear up the remaining three years of the deal. That is the easy part.The harder part is how much and in what structure.

Tomorrow I will go into some of the structural issues in play and particular leverage points for each side of the negotiation.

Follow me on Twitter at adbrandt.

I've posted this contract proposal on other websites...so I'll put it here also to see if you want to comment on it...bash it...whatever.

Total compensation for 10 years = $120 mil. Total guaranteed money = between $30 - $40 mil. The yearly average payouts breakdown as follows:

Yr#1 = $16 mil = highest paid CB in the NFL

Yr#2 = $16 mil = highest paid CB in the NFL

Yr#3 = $11 mil = Asomugha is now a FA to negotiate with any team

Yr#4 = $11 mil

Yr#5 = $11 mil

Yr#6 = $11 mil

Yr#7 = $11 mil

Yr#8 = $11 mil

Yr#9 = $11 mil

Yr#10 = $11 mil

Total = $120 mil

And if Jets are willing to go up to $130 mil of total compensation. Then the last 8 years would be at $12.25 mil per year.

IMO...the parameters of these two packages of total compensation are within reason and doable, if the Revis agents truly want to see their client on the football field this year.

As you may have noticed...the first two years of the contract pay Revis for more then Asomugha money. If the Jets can pay out the $16 mil for the first two years, then the psychological benefit is that it may sooth the Revis ego. And give him and his agents a way to save face.

I've posted this contract proposal on other websites...so I'll put it here also to see if you want to comment on it...bash it...whatever.

Total compensation for 10 years = $120 mil. Total guaranteed money = between $30 - $40 mil. The yearly average payouts breakdown as follows:

Yr#1 = $16 mil = highest paid CB in the NFL

Yr#2 = $16 mil = highest paid CB in the NFL

Yr#3 = $11 mil = Asomugha is now a FA to negotiate with any team

Yr#4 = $11 mil

Yr#5 = $11 mil

Yr#6 = $11 mil

Yr#7 = $11 mil

Yr#8 = $11 mil

Yr#9 = $11 mil

Yr#10 = $11 mil

Total = $120 mil

And if Jets are willing to go up to $130 mil of total compensation. Then the last 8 years would be at $12.25 mil per year.

IMO...the parameters of these two packages of total compensation are within reason and doable, if the Revis agents truly want to see their client on the football field this year.

As you may have noticed...the first two years of the contract pay Revis for more then Asomugha money. If the Jets can pay out the $16 mil for the first two years, then the psychological benefit is that it may sooth the Revis ego. And give him and his agents a way to save face.

So instead of paying him the $21 million they are contractually obligated to over the next 3 years, the Jets should reward his holdout by paying him more than double that and then wait for him to holdout when he's not happy he's only making $11m per in the ensuing years?

So instead of paying him the $21 million they are contractually obligated to over the next 3 years, the Jets should reward his holdout by paying him more than double that and then wait for him to holdout when he's not happy he's only making $11m per in the ensuing years?

:face: Besides what makes anyone think he'll take less than $16/$160?

that would be my concern with any front-loaded deal.

I believe Revis wants to sign a long term deal with substantial guaranteed money. But if he's not interested in less then a $16 mil average for every year of the new contract, then he is being totally unreasonable. Jets shouldn't offer a contract that has a yearly average in excess of the ridiculous $15 mil Asomugha deal...JMO.

Can't knock the guy for taking what was given to him and trying to make more out of it.

Dude when your only claim to fame is being "the best friend of jets CB Darrelle Revis" you're a G-damn sycophant/dickrider/asskisser or any other colorful adjectives you can muster for what he is.

Dude when your only claim to fame is being "the best friend of jets CB Darrelle Revis" you're a G-damn sycophant/dickrider/asskisser or any other colorful adjectives you can muster for what he is.

Would you describe E from entourage in such a hateful manner?

Would you describe E from entourage in such a hateful manner?

No but this Geiger douche is no E, he's more like Turtle, sits around spending VInny's money on bullsh*t. There is nothing hateful about my comments, I'm just sick of this whole Revis holdout.

Archived