Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

LULZ!

Oh, the irony!

What?

I understand what you're saying when I throw away my rationale and replace it with your rationale. Which is equivalent to no rationale. Which incidentally is the same rationale that Revis has.

Really hope thats how you spell 'rationale'.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?

I understand what you're saying when I throw away my rationale and replace it with your rationale. Which is equivalent to no rationale. Which incidentally is the same rationale that Revis has.

It is. :D

What?

Your "rationale" is incredibly flawed.

Dude when your only claim to fame is being "the best friend of jets CB Darrelle Revis" you're a G-damn sycophant/dickrider/asskisser or any other colorful adjectives you can muster for what he is.

it's expensive to have an entourage. I dont support that as a good move for any professional athlete.

It's good for for the economy tho. Revis stimulates it. are you gonna employ this dickrider?

Every day that goes by Revis becomes a bigger dickwipe to me as it becomes increasingly clearer he doesn't give a sh*t about Jets football. Asking for that big a slice of the cap pie will cost this team a lot of talent. Screw him.

Every day that goes by Revis becomes a bigger dickwipe to me as it becomes increasingly clearer he doesn't give a sh*t about Jets football. Asking for that big a slice of the cap pie will cost this team a lot of talent. Screw him.

Jet fans give a f**k about Jets football, this is a Job for Revis...he gives a f**k about his pay. Seems like you and a few others continue to confuse the two...hence the name "Mevi$". lol.

And if Jets are willing to go up to $130 mil of total compensation. Then the last 8 years would be at $12.25 mil per year.

IMO...the parameters of these two packages of total compensation are within reason and doable, if the Revis agents truly want to see their client on the football field this year.

As you may have noticed...the first two years of the contract pay Revis for more then Asomugha money. If the Jets can pay out the $16 mil for the first two years, then the psychological benefit is that it may sooth the Revis ego. And give him and his agents a way to save face.

This will never work from the Jets' perspective. It is a holdout waiting to happen. Three, four years from now, some other CB is going to be making more than Revis $11M and he'll want more.

The Jets need to structure the deal in a way that makes it difficult for Revis to hold out, and rewards him when he doesn't. The salaries have to escalate over the course of the contract so that he continues to outpace other CB's. And depending on how much he holds onto that $16M/year figure in his head, the more they'll need to backload the deal. They can put together a contract with tons of incentives (Super Bowls, DPOYs, 12+ ints, etc.) that put the maximum deal at 10/160. I'd break it down with bonus payments for completing workouts, showing up for OTA's and training camp, etc. Tie large chunks of his pay to those things so it hurts immediately when he pouts the next time. Negotiate larger penalties if he holds out in the future (if it's allowed - I don't know).

The thing the Jets really don't want to do -that they're going to have to do- is give Revis a big signing bonus. Probably low 8-figures. That's how they'll get him on the field this year.

Jet fans give a f**k about Jets football, this is a Job for Revis...he gives a f**k about his pay. Seems like you and a few others continue to confuse the two...hence the name "Mevi$". lol.

I think the only one confused is you. We want the best for the NY Jets, you want the best for NY Mevi$. Which is just weird. Mevi$ doesnt give a damn about you and will run for high water at first chance. The Jets are here to stay.

I think you have your allegiance backwards.

Exactly.

I want the Jets' best player on the field.

Definitely is the best for the Jets...but he's the douche holding out. He's under contract. He should be out there.

And you might want whats best for the Jets, but villain has made it obvious he wants whats best for Mevi$.

gut feeling. He signs either today or tomorrow (its my birthday and I prayed to the tooth fairy that the only thing I wanted was Darrelle Revis).

Don't hold your breath, I doubt the tooth fairy is going to kick in $4 mill per year for 10 years.

This will never work from the Jets' perspective. It is a holdout waiting to happen. Three, four years from now, some other CB is going to be making more than Revis $11M and he'll want more.

The Jets need to structure the deal in a way that makes it difficult for Revis to hold out, and rewards him when he doesn't. The salaries have to escalate over the course of the contract so that he continues to outpace other CB's. And depending on how much he holds onto that $16M/year figure in his head, the more they'll need to backload the deal. They can put together a contract with tons of incentives (Super Bowls, DPOYs, 12+ ints, etc.) that put the maximum deal at 10/160. I'd break it down with bonus payments for completing workouts, showing up for OTA's and training camp, etc. Tie large chunks of his pay to those things so it hurts immediately when he pouts the next time. Negotiate larger penalties if he holds out in the future (if it's allowed - I don't know).

The thing the Jets really don't want to do -that they're going to have to do- is give Revis a big signing bonus. Probably low 8-figures. That's how they'll get him on the field this year.

pretty sensible. of course, who knows if revis is willing to sign such a deal. i'd offer revis two contracts - one around 11-12 mill a year or one at 8-9 mill a year base with incentives to get to 16. he has to decide whether to risk some security for potentially more money. the problem i see so far is that he wants it all: big singing bonus, 16.5 avg, 10 years, huge injury and skill guarantees. he needs to decide which 2 or 3 of these are most important and compromise on the others.

pretty sensible. of course, who knows if revis is willing to sign such a deal. i'd offer revis two contracts - one around 11-12 mill a year or one at 8-9 mill a year base with incentives to get to 16. he has to decide whether to risk some security for potentially more money. the problem i see so far is that he wants it all: big singing bonus, 16.5 avg, 10 years, huge injury and skill guarantees. he needs to decide which 2 or 3 of these are most important and compromise on the others.

I don't understand why more contracts are not written this way. Team incentives vs individual incentives so players can be more concerned with team vs me.

I don't understand why more contracts are not written this way. Team incentives vs individual incentives so players can be more concerned with team vs me.

because players don't want to not get paid because the rest of the team sucks

You're probably right about the Revis camp staging another holdout for more then some other CB that exceeds the $12.25 mil in Yr #3.

Assuming Revis "out performs" his own $12.25 mil for Yr #3 and beyond. Maybe include some type of clause that allows the Jets to either pay Revis $12.25 mil, or guaranteed Top 2-3 CB money, for each of the remaining 8 years, that Revis out performs his own contract, and/or out plays those other top 2-3 CBs. Again...Revis has to out perform his own contract in order to trigger this clause.

So if Genius Al decides to show how much of a Mensa he is, and gives Asomugha a new deal which averages $18 - $20 mil per year. Then the Jets and Revis camp have to then look at the yearly pay average of the top 2-3 CBs in the league. AND...Revis' production has to be in some way either comparable to them, or out performs them.

In the end...dealing with Revis' Scrooge & Marley type agents, guys that want to yearly shake the pot til the last coin drops out, may make it unsurmountable a task to make a deal that's sensible. That doesn't result in another holdout. One that enables the Jets to not only achieve the Mangold and Harris signings. But to then try to re-sign at least one or two the players named Cromarte, Edwards and Holmes.

Lol...what a headache this is to solve...that results in both parties being happy together.

In the end...a divorce may be the best option...cause Revis only plays CB...not QB-C-WR-LB-DL-Etc. Arguably the best player on the team right now. But still only one of eleven on defense...and zero of eleven on offense.

You're probably right about the Revis camp staging another holdout for more then some other CB that exceeds the $12.25 mil in Yr #3.

Assuming Revis "out performs" his own $12.25 mil for Yr #3 and beyond. Maybe include some type of clause that allows the Jets to either pay Revis $12.25 mil, or guaranteed Top 2-3 CB money, for each of the remaining 8 years, that Revis out performs his own contract, and/or out plays those other top 2-3 CBs.

So if Genius Al decides to show how much of a Mensa he is, and gives Asomugha a new deal which averages $18 - $20 mil per year. Then the Jets and Revis camp have to then look at the yearly pay average of the top 2-3 CBs in the league. AND...Revis' production has to be in some way either comparable to them, or out performs them.

In the end...dealing with Revis' Scrooge & Marley type agents, guys that want to yearly shake the pot til the last coin drops out, may make it unsurmountable a task to make a deal that's sensible. That doesn't result in another holdout. One that enables the Jets to not only achieve the Mangold and Harris signings. But to then try to re-sign at least one or two the players named Cromarte, Edwards and Holmes.

Lol...what a headache this is to solve...that results in both parties being happy together.

In the end...a divorce may be the best option...cause Revis only plays CB...not QB-C-WR-LB-DL-Etc. Arguably the best player on the team right now. But still only one of eleven on defense...and zero of eleven on offense.

i agree with most of this post but in reality revis is 1.5 of 11 on defense because he does the job with zero safety help

gut feeling. He signs either today or tomorrow (its my birthday and I prayed to the tooth fairy that the only thing I wanted was Darrelle Revis).

Losing teeth, you're either 12 or 80, which makes you're ability to navigated the interwebz that much more impressive. Either way, fantastic use of a wish. I've always wished for a Jets SB and the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders on my bday. Our team keeps losing and my house is surprisingly orgy-less. I'm thinking we're due.

I'd agree with you V except this asshat could live like a king off the interest (even in this economy)of 120MM over 10 so it isn't so much about pay. It's a dick size contest and Revis taking bad advice from a couple of ex-ambulance chasers and bitter dumfuk Uncle Sean.

Darrelle;

I admit I have flip-flopped on this hold-out.

I now say Team Revis/Jets are not right, and Team Revis /Jets are not wrong. Lets meet in the middle. You both have legit claims.

You deserve a big bump in salary, no doubt. The Raiders don't have any other great players they have to pay.

Would you rather be a Jet on a team that is play-off contenders for years to come or be on a team that had to let go of some great talent due to Cap reasons.

But do you want to miss the fun and team aspects of what was your Jets life to hold out for that extra cash that will just sit in bank anyways. A Superbowl ring on a NY team will pay millions in retirement income. Trust me. New York doesn't forget their Championship heroes.

If this was baseball with no cap, I would tell you to hold out for everything you think you deserve.

But you are on a team with lots of talents and IF you want to still be with those same guys you may have to take a little bit less than the Raider CB got. What you will get will surely take care of you and yours for rest of your life. But is that extra bit really worth missing a Superbowl run and the fun you have with teammates. I saw that Geiger film of you two guys goofing off at your home. That was the behavior of a fun loving guy who enjoys life. Not a 'I don't care where I play I just want the most cash' type of guy. I cant really think you want to miss this great Jets run over 13 mil yr contract per year vs 16 mill year. We all know the end years are a joke. Take the 10 yr/120 mill but ask for 25/30 in bonus. The Jets will do that. Don't let this be a ego thing. The ring you will get will show you are the best.

Do your really want to get that extra few dollars and spend the rest of your career in Cleveland?

Look at it this way. If you were on a horrible team with no stars and therefore lots of cap room you could get the ultimate deal. But you would be out of contention in November and bored silly in my opinion. You have best of both worlds. You will get a very big payday, but will take a little less so Jets can pay all the great teammates you have so that you will in a Superbowl run every year of your remaining years in NFL.

Then when you retire, you can be a NY hero with a ring, restaurants, clubs, clothing lines etc. , or you can take more money, no play-off runs and a McDonald's franchise in Cleveland when you retire.

Come on back to JetNation Darrelle.

Sincerely;

SouthernJet

Darrelle;

I admit I have flip-flopped on this hold-out.

I now say Team Revis/Jets are not right, and Team Revis /Jets are not wrong. Lets meet in the middle. You both have legit claims.

You deserve a big bump in salary, no doubt. The Raiders don't have any other great players they have to pay.

Would you rather be a Jet on a team that is play-off contenders for years to come or be on a team that had to let go of some great talent due to Cap reasons.

But do you want to miss the fun and team aspects of what was your Jets life to hold out for that extra cash that will just sit in bank anyways. A Superbowl ring on a NY team will pay millions in retirement income. Trust me. New York doesn't forget their Championship heroes.

If this was baseball with no cap, I would tell you to hold out for everything you think you deserve.

But you are on a team with lots of talents and IF you want to still be with those same guys you may have to take a little bit less than the Raider CB got. What you will get will surely take care of you and yours for rest of your life. But is that extra bit really worth missing a Superbowl run and the fun you have with teammates. I saw that Geiger film of you two guys goofing off at your home. That was the behavior of a fun loving guy who enjoys life. Not a 'I don't care where I play I just want the most cash' type of guy. I cant really think you want to miss this great Jets run over 13 mil yr contract per year vs 16 mill year. We all know the end years are a joke. Take the 10 yr/120 mill but ask for 25/30 in bonus. The Jets will do that. Don't let this be a ego thing. The ring you will get will show you are the best.

Do your really want to get that extra few dollars and spend the rest of your career in Cleveland?

Look at it this way. If you were on a horrible team with no stars and therefore lots of cap room you could get the ultimate deal. But you would be out of contention in November and bored silly in my opinion. You have best of both worlds. You will get a very big payday, but will take a little less so Jets can pay all the great teammates you have so that you will in a Superbowl run every year of your remaining years in NFL.

Then when you retire, you can be a NY hero with a ring, restaurants, clubs, clothing lines etc. , or you can take more money, no play-off runs and a McDonald's franchise in Cleveland when you retire.

Come on back to JetNation Darrelle.

Sincerely;

SouthernJet

Did you send this to him?

Definitely agree.

I think your numbers are probably a little low, but the idea of offering two contracts in this way is also a good one.

theres this assumption that the Jets are offering a little less than Aso money and Revis is being a jerk, demanding aso plus a dollar.

but I dont think its about total money or salary per year.

It's about up front bonus. And the Jets haven't offered enough.

nnamdi will get a pay cut when his current deal is done. if revis means what he says about it being the principle and not the money to be paid the most surely he won't mind a clause saying that he will get exactly $1 more than the next highest CB in the league each year of the deal.

Definitely agree.

I think your numbers are probably a little low, but the idea of offering two contracts in this way is also a good one.

just doesn't sound like revis believes he should have to compromise - in his mind, the best should never have to.

theres this assumption that the Jets are offering a little less than Aso money and Revis is being a jerk, demanding aso plus a dollar.

but I dont think its about total money or salary per year.

It's about up front bonus. And the Jets haven't offered enough.

its definitly about upfront money.

Jets have stated when Team revis agrees verbally (not signed deal) to total amount of deal, they will then discuss what % goes to upfront money.

Jets want to know how much over how long for cap reasons before they agree to upfront money.

Archived