Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

theres this assumption that the Jets are offering a little less than Aso money and Revis is being a jerk, demanding aso plus a dollar.

but I dont think its about total money or salary per year.

It's about up front bonus. And the Jets haven't offered enough.

don't think that's the perception. i think most people here believe jets offered 10/120 and said "we aren't talking guarantees unless we at least get on the same page for total comp." if this is true, revis is technically correct the jets offer currently includes zero guarantees because it is a starting point.

that being said, the jets need to stop being so stubborn and talk about the whole deal rather than parts of it. if the jets offer 10/120 with 50 mill guaranteed it'll be pretty tough for revis to call the offer "insulting."

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its definitly about upfront money.

Jets have stated when Team revis agrees verbally (not signed deal) to total amount of deal, they will then discuss what % goes to upfront money.

Jets want to know how much over how long for cap reasons before they agree to upfront money.

don't think that's the perception. i think most people here believe jets offered 10/120 and said "we aren't talking guarantees unless we at least get on the same page for total comp." if this is true, revis is technically correct the jets offer currently includes zero guarantees because it is a starting point.

Exactly, but the blind, seduced and deceived can't grasp that. :face:

that being said, the jets need to stop being so stubborn and talk about the whole deal rather than parts of it. if the jets offer 10/120 with 50 mill guaranteed it'll be pretty tough for revis to call the offer "insulting."

Only problem with that is he'll hold out yet again!

What makes anybody think MEvi$ will sign anything less than $16 per for 10 years?

I have not seen it.

Since he is not in the league right now ... he can't be the best CB in the league, now can he?

Ergo ... not the best in the league = not ASO money. The only way to get the pay is to play. He will eventually come to this realization

just doesn't sound like revis believes he should have to compromise - in his mind, the best should never have to.

I like the media blackout. I hope they're actually talking.

If Revis chooses not to compromise, he'll sit the entire season. He'll be banking on cashing in by next year's draft, and that's a risky proposition. I believe that in the end a compromise will be reached. One that will allow both sides to claim victory. They need each other too much to let it fester all season.

Only problem with that is he'll hold out yet again!

yes, i share that concern. only thing i can tell you is that the jets must insist that a substantial portion of the comp is tied to him showing up where and when he is supposed to.

If Revis chooses not to compromise, he'll sit the entire season. He'll be banking on cashing in by next year's draft, and that's a risky proposition. I believe that in the end a compromise will be reached. One that will allow both sides to claim victory. They need each other too much to let it fester all season.

I think my OpenLetter in other JN thread will get him back wink.gif

i hope. maybe a contract that pays him aso+$1 for the first two years of the contract and then resets to $1 more each year than the 2nd highest paid cb's avg yearly after that.

yes, i share that concern. only thing i can tell you is that the jets must insist that a substantial portion of the comp is tied to him showing up where and when he is supposed to.

Agreed, but how are we/they supposed to know how much of that will fly, and if they will grandfather or void such clauses under the new CBA?

Agreed, but how are we/they supposed to know how much of that will fly, and if they will grandfather or void such clauses under the new CBA?

don't know the answer to that - have to defer to tannenbaum who i am sure has much more insight on what is likely to happen.

Since he is not in the league right now ... he can't be the best CB in the league, now can he?

Ergo ... not the best in the league = not ASO money. The only way to get the pay is to play.

Sure but he's banking on last year.

He will eventually come to this realization

I hope so!

Sure but he's banking on last year.

I hope so!

In all seriousness though ... look at what happens production wise to players who miss whole seasons for non-injury related absences

1) Vick 2) Adam Jones 3) Sean Gilbert etc...

they don't come back the same. it gives other players that chance to step up over that year and diminish any accomplishments of players in the previous year (ie "what have you done for me lately" and Aso is set for a good year in man coverage rather than zone ... along with many eager young studs around the league). and it takes away Darrelle's ability to "bank on what he did last year" (as it would then be the year before last year).

If he wants a payday, he has to play this year and since the jets refuse to trade him, that leaves Darrelle with only the choice of play under my current contract on bank on the next year (which would be foolish for a couple of reasons: see Leon and lack of CBA), or compromise on a deal. These are really the only choices he has if the jets won't trade him

In all seriousness though ... look at what happens production wise to players who miss whole seasons for non-injury related absences

1) Vick 2) Adam Jones 3) Sean Gilbert etc...

they don't come back the same. it gives other players that chance to step up over that year and diminish any accomplishments of players in the previous year (ie "what have you done for me lately" and Aso is set for a good year in man coverage rather than zone ... along with many eager young studs around the league). and it takes away Darrelle's ability to "bank on what he did last year" (as it would then be the year before last year).

If he wants a payday, he has to play this year and since the jets refuse to trade him, that leaves Darrelle with only the choice of play under my current contract on bank on the next year (which would be foolish for a couple of reasons: see Leon and lack of CBA), or compromise on a deal. These are really the only choices he has if the jets won't trade him

You and I know and understand this, I don't think Darrelle does.

You and I know and understand this, I don't think Darrelle does.

And that is where we differ and why I think it just makes too much sense for a deal to get done before Sept. If Darrelle out and out admits this, he looses what little leverage he has. To get the mega deal he wants, he has to call this bluff until the jets cave (or soften to a point he can accept) or until right before the season starts. One of these will happen.

And that is where we differ and why I think it just makes too much sense for a deal to get done before Sept. If Darrelle out and out admits this, he looses what little leverage he has. To get the mega deal he wants, he has to call this bluff until the jets cave (or soften to a point he can accept) or until right before the season starts. One of these will happen.

Again I hope so, but I just don't have that much faith in his representation and the people in his ear.

I agree, and that may have something to do with why no progress has been made.

No?

i don't think so. i think the hold up is revis wants a longterm deal averaging more than aso. until revis caves on that, the sides won't even begin to talk specifics.

i don't think so. i think the hold up is revis wants a longterm deal averaging more than aso. until revis caves on that, the sides won't even begin to talk specifics.

I totally agree with that, I was reffering to why the Jets have not tried one of these hope and pray it works clauses.

theres this assumption that the Jets are offering a little less than Aso money and Revis is being a jerk, demanding aso plus a dollar.

but I dont think its about total money or salary per year.

It's about up front bonus. And the Jets haven't offered enough.

I think the Jets are offering his existing contract

10--1 Million

11--10 Million

12-- 11 Million

13-- (Salary Arbitration) 17 Million

Total of about $38 to $40 Million

But bumping that original contract to roughly $42 Million.....Makes sense for the Jets, but Darrelle is looking for the homerun

I totally agree with that, I was reffering to why the Jets have not tried one of these hope and pray it works clauses.

your guess is as good as mine. could be that jets refuse to talk guarantees until total comp is agreed on and revis refuses to talk at all until jets agree to aso+$1/year + a guarantee of $X.

your guess is as good as mine. could be that jets refuse to talk guarantees until total comp is agreed on and revis refuses to talk at all until jets agree to aso+$1/year + a guarantee of $X.

That's pretty much how I see it happening.

That's pretty much how I see it happening.

aso's contract's last year gives him either the avg of the top 5 cb's in the league of 16.x million, whichever is greater. if revis' argument that being the highest paid is a point of pride, he should agree to accept #2 cb + $1 for the life of the deal which will be less than $16 mill starting in '12

aso's contract's last year gives him either the avg of the top 5 cb's in the league of 16.x million, whichever is greater. if revis' argument that being the highest paid is a point of pride, he should agree to accept #2 cb + $1 for the life of the deal which will be less than $16 mill starting in '12

Can a deal like that even be done?

What if Crazy Al then signs a CB to $20 mill per? ;)

Can a deal like that even be done?

What if Crazy Al then signs a CB to $20 mill per? ;)

it can be done, aso's has a clause based on other players' comp. it would take a team more interested in screwing the jets than winning for someone to pay $20 mill to a cb, especially with the cap probably going down.

it can be done, aso's has a clause based on other players' comp. it would take a team more interested in screwing the jets than winning for someone to pay $20 mill to a cb, especially with the cap probably going down.

I thought that's waht Crazy Al was doing. ;)

whats the point of playing at a super high level when the team sees nothing wrong with planning to pay 7 DB's more money?

Right, that's why they approached him about re-doing his deal. :huh:

Do you actually believe the sh*t you post? :blink:

lol, Yeah, seven other DB's on the Jets are halfway through 6-year $36M contracts.

Hey - get off his back. Now that Rhodes is gone, Bit has to have somebody to play contrarian with. It doesn't have to make sense.

Hey - get off his back. Now that Rhodes is gone, Bit has to have somebody to play contrarian with. It doesn't have to make sense.

the Jets made alot of money on Revis' old deal. People talk about the 15 mil he's made already as if he stole it. He basically played 3 years at a rate less than Aso in 1 year. He was worth more than 15 for last year alone.

its funny how the fans can't wait to throw this baby out with the bathwater. did you see the reserve CBs the other night? They need this player, badly.

Archived