Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

I disagree that this is the only shot. This will still be a good team.

Big picture-the Jets with Revis are prohibitive favorites to represent the AFC in Dallas in February. Without him they are looking at a hard but not impossible road. I'd rather the former than the later. Let's say the Revis-less Jets miss the playoffs by a game, or lose a close playoff game. All this salary cap teeth-nashing is going to look really silly. And it's kinda been EXACTLY the stupid kind of thing this franchise has been doing for 40+ years.

Piss away the later half of Namath's career with a cheap supporting cast.

Trade Riggins for a bag of trinkets.

Draft Lam Jones over Jerry Rice.

Pass on Dan Marino.

Eff up drafting Favre and wind up with Browining Nagle.

Hire Bruce Coslet, Dick Kotite and Herman Edwards.

I understand Revis renogiating mid-contract is slimy. Yet as a hater of salary caps recognize the dumbass NFL system is in place to suppress salaries of athletes who have very short careers, and careers like Leon Washington's which can go from bright to dark in a single play.

Cannot be said strongly enough-there are too many fans that have a disconnect that lets them think there's some great honor in wonderful cap management.I could give a flying f___. There is no Lombardi given because you managed to eff a few players out of salary.

5 minutes after the cap goes in place owners spend time and money trying to circumvent it. The 49ers and Broncos in championship years broke the rules, and they didn't get their trophies yanked. And that's all we know about. We also know Parcells bent, folded and mutilated the cap rules to get Curtis Martin here. Suspect none of those are isolated examples. And after spending half of $1.6 billion on a new and mostly pointless new stadium and effing many of us on PSLs, it's a little late in the game for Little Lord Fauntelory Less Nessman corksucker of an owner to start crying poverty. Gimme a f___in' break-NOW you're POOR?

If we had an owner with balls, Donald Trump, George Steinbrenner, Mike Illitch-#24 would be on the field now.

The idea is to win football games. Revis makes that easier. And suspect that on 9/13 he will be playing and all this is a kabuki dance of nonsense by both sides.

We drafted Toon over Rice, not Lam Jones over Rice. If we'd drafted Rice and the 49ers ended up with Toon, maybe the SOJ discussion is about how stupid we were for passing up on the obvious pick in Toon, who would go on to catch >100 TD's from Montana & Young.

No arguments with the rest of the bad joke this franchise has been. Other than the suggestion that the reason we haven't re-signed Revis - while he's already under contract to begin with - is because of an owner who isn't willing to spend on player talent. Woody's got some faults; that hasn't shown to be one of them.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this verified with a source?

No.

It is about up-front, GUARANTEED MONEY.

Yes and the source is MEvi$.

GUARANTEED MONEY has not been discussed because MEvi$ won't come off the $16/$160 or stick it bit.

I know... We should give him the $45 mill he wants upfront too, with one of your imaginary clauses, so he won't hold out yet again!

Still got your head in the sand I see.

Yes and the source is MEvi$.

GUARANTEED MONEY has not been discussed because MEvi$ won't come off the $16/$160 or stick it bit.

Still got your head in the sand I see.

Can you show me the quote from Darrelle Revis/Revis' agents that states he wants 16/160?

Can you show me the quote from Darrelle Revis/Revis' agents that states he wants 16/160?

MEvi$ has said he wants more than ASO, that's over $16 mill and he also said he wants it in a long term deal.

Bury your head all you want looking for the quotes.

MEvi$ has said he wants more than ASO, that's over $16 mill and he also said he wants it in a long term deal.

Bury your head all you want looking for the quotes.

Exactly my point.

You have no clue as to what Revis' party submitted to Tannenbaum at the Roscoe Diner.

With that said, it would behoove you to stop throwing around baseless salary demands in an attempt to pass them off as FACT.

Do you want this player on the Jets?

If the answer is yes, why bother smearing him?

Exactly my point.

You have no clue as to what Revis' party submitted to Tannenbaum at the Roscoe Diner.

With that said, it would behoove you to stop throwing around baseless salary demands in an attempt to pass them off as FACT.

Do you want this player on the Jets?

If the answer is yes, why bother smearing him?

You have no clue!

Tanny said they have not gotten one step closer after the Roscoe Diner meeting, why should I believe anything else?

How is repeating his own demands smearing him???

I suppose the player's union did not ask his camp to be quiet as to not look like another greedy player during the current labor discussions either.

I want him to be a Jet yes, but I don't want to see the Jets cave into his ridiculous I want more than Aso demands.

Revis is going to cost money, dude.

He's an exceptional talent.

If you want to drive a Maserati, you can't expect to pay Audi prices.

That's just the way life is.

sorry,this reply was meant for bugg's post

what does this have to do with the jets today???tanny runs the jets now.i beleive he is a genius.look at the squad he has put together.look at the coaching staff he has brought in.i dont recall anybody tanny really wanting and didnt get.i dont recall tanny having anybody walk that was worth a damn.he has drafted great not without some exceptions.remember the complete mess bradway and herm left this team in??4 seasons later and it is tops...jets have a good shot at a deep run.doesnt mean it is guaranteed with revis.you do not cripple your cap for a "chance" at a deep run.thats what makes tanny better than bradway and smarter than most.ya,some say revis is doing what he has to do.revis' actions are a blatant slap in the face to the jets.then after he slapped the jets,he then spit in the jets faces.if no band aid is agreed apon,revis played his last game as a jet.mark my words

Because you have no clue what the actual demands were.

This is black and white. There's no gray, bro.

Oh really?

MEvi$ said he wants more than Aso, that equals $16+ million.

He also said he wants a long term deal, so he could be a life time Jet.

The Jets offered him a 10 year deal.

Tanny said they have not gotten 1 step closer for 6 months now.

Not my fault you can't put 2 and 2 together, and choose to bury your head!

Oh really?

MEvi$ said he wants more than Aso, that equals $16+ million.

He also said he wants a long term deal, so he could be a life time Jet.

The Jets offered him a 10 year deal.

Tanny said they have not gotten 1 step closer for 6 months now.

Not my fault you can't put 2 and 2 together, and chose to bury your head!

hahahahahahhaha

When speculation becomes fact, come get me.

Otherwise, this is a mindless exercise in futility.

I think the only one confused is you. We want the best for the NY Jets, you want the best for NY Mevi$. Which is just weird. Mevi$ doesnt give a damn about you and will run for high water at first chance. The Jets are here to stay.

I think you have your allegiance backwards.

allegiance?? lol. Some dudes take sports too seriously.

I'd agree with you V except this asshat could live like a king off the interest (even in this economy)of 120MM over 10 so it isn't so much about pay. It's a dick size contest and Revis taking bad advice from a couple of ex-ambulance chasers and bitter dumfuk Uncle Sean.

Unlike Jif and his "allegiance" comment, I think that you kinda get my point. Revis isnt a fan, he's a player, and players get paid. As a fan, I can care less about this subject. I just got into it because that has been the hype during the off season and there was really nothing else to talk about on the forums. Bottomline is that I just dont care about how much they pay him. I just want to watch football at the end of the day.

As stated, he's not a fan...he's a player. And when owners sh*t on players I dont here fans bitching about it, when players are trying to get the upper hand then all of a sudden its about "allegiance". lol.

Off topic, Ima treat the "allegiance" statement like the way Allen Iverson treats the "practice" statement. lol.

QB - SANCHEZ

RB - GREENE

FB - CONNOR

TE - KELLER

WR - COTCHERY

LT - FERGUSON

LG - SLAUSON OR DUCASSE

RG - MOORE

RT - WOODY OR DUCASSE

DE - DEVITO

NT - JENKINS

DE/OLB - GHOLSTON (lol)

OLB - PACE

ILB - SCOTT

CB - REVIS

CB - WILSON

This doesn't include players who are likely to be retained:

MANGOLD (will be extended or franchised. He's not simply hitting free agency)

POOL (more likely to re-sign than not if we want him)

LEONHARD (more likely to re-sign than not if we want him)

EDWARDS or HOLMES (pretty doubtful the Jets retain neither)

It also doesn't include a single draft pick in 2011 or 2012.

Find another NFL team with as rich of a list as that in 2012 before you poo-poo on it.

I don't know where you get this notion that Rex Ryan is the last HC that players want to play for and are more likely to go elsewhere than stay here when given the opportunity. Who exactly have the Jets let walk into free agency that they badly wanted to retain?

despite the impressive use of caps Im not willing to cede this point.

offense is basically dbrick, sanch, keller and cotch. shonn greene is not a given. Who knows what kind of long term career projection shonn greene will have. He's exactly the type of RB to break down cause he runs like a maniac. Moore and Woody will be over the hill if not done after a lock out. JP Ma-slauson looks sucky and Ducasse can't play tackle.

defense will have to be totally reloaded.

Jenkins will retire before 2012... especially after a lockout. He's under contract but he's on his swan song now. Ellis gone.

Without them there's have a starting lineup of Devito/Pouha/Gholston. Gee great. 1st round pick on DE Cameron Heyward please.

you have 1 OLB listed. Pace is under contract but he's not much younger than Bryan Thomas. Both will be 33+ and declining by 2012. Neither is a great pass rusher under best of conditions. Scott will possibly be declining by 2012 as well (not definite he could be fine).

You assume Harris is gone he's a 2nd team all pro. that's a giant loss. You assume Cro is gone he's a pro bowler as well.

that leaves mangold and what maybe one of edwards and holmes? maybe?

and this is how we are proving 2012 will be as good a chance as 2010?

as for specials eric smith and brad smith are gone in this projection... right?

DireJet38 there will never be another chance to get cro and revis on the field at the same time. this is the makings of an all time secondary.

like the Michael Jackson concert, THIS IS IT

Unlike Jif and his "allegiance" comment, I think that you kinda get my point. Revis isnt a fan, he's a player, and players get paid. As a fan, I can care less about this subject. I just got into it because that has been the hype during the off season and there was really nothing else to talk about on the forums. Bottomline is that I just dont care about how much they pay him. I just want to watch football at the end of the day.

As stated, he's not a fan...he's a player. And when owners sh*t on players I dont here fans bitching about it, when players are trying to get the upper hand then all of a sudden its about "allegiance". lol.

Off topic, Ima treat the "allegiance" statement like the way Allen Iverson treats the "practice" statement. lol.

Hey villani, how long have you been a Jets fan? I've been a Jets fan since I was 15 and that was in 1963. Do the math on how long that's been. Through the years I have spent thousands of dollars on this organization and if I want to bitch and moan about something concerning the Jets (in this case it's a greedy player in my eyes) I will do so. You don't have to agree with that...not asking you to. But, understand, I think I have earned that right. I bitched about the PSL's as well and that's why I am no longer a season ticket holder.

Hey villani, how long have you been a Jets fan? I've been a Jets fan since I was 15 and that was in 1963. Do the math on how long that's been. Through the years I have spent thousands of dollars on this organization and if I want to bitch and moan about something concerning the Jets (in this case it's a greedy player in my eyes) I will do so. You don't have to agree with that...not asking you to. But, understand, I think I have earned that right. I bitched about the PSL's as well and that's why I am no longer a season ticket holder.

I've been a fan since 94 and have probably spent less than $1,000 on tickets, merchandise etc. I dont think that states the love I have for the game and team. I just think that when people pay money to see a sport they feel like they in some way control the outcome of how the money is to be managed. Everything you paid for you got, You paid for tickets, you paid for hats and other merchandise. You have no say outside of what you purchased because what you purchased you received.

Im not saying that you cant have your feelings on the matter, especially for a person who hasnt spent thousands of dollars since the 60's...I wasnt even born then. My thing is this. Its simply not that serious. Either Pay Revis or trade him. Either way, I'll be at the Patriots game this Sept and sitting on the couch probably for the rest of the games. And if they ever make the Superbowl I've promised myself that I would make that game.

Bottomline is that my feeling on the Revis situation is simply an opinion...just like your feelings on it, which I would never knock....because I see how it ties to you being a fan of the team which I respect.

despite the impressive use of caps Im not willing to cede this point.

offense is basically dbrick, sanch, keller and cotch. shonn greene is not a given. Who knows what kind of long term career projection shonn greene will have. He's exactly the type of RB to break down cause he runs like a maniac. Moore and Woody will be over the hill if not done after a lock out. JP Ma-slauson looks sucky and Ducasse can't play tackle.

defense will have to be totally reloaded.

Jenkins will retire before 2012... especially after a lockout. He's under contract but he's on his swan song now. Ellis gone.

Without them there's have a starting lineup of Devito/Pouha/Gholston. Gee great. 1st round pick on DE Cameron Heyward please.

you have 1 OLB listed. Pace is under contract but he's not much younger than Bryan Thomas. Both will be 33+ and declining by 2012. Neither is a great pass rusher under best of conditions. Scott will possibly be declining by 2012 as well (not definite he could be fine).

You assume Harris is gone he's a 2nd team all pro. that's a giant loss. You assume Cro is gone he's a pro bowler as well.

that leaves mangold and what maybe one of edwards and holmes? maybe?

and this is how we are proving 2012 will be as good a chance as 2010?

as for specials eric smith and brad smith are gone in this projection... right?

DireJet38 there will never be another chance to get cro and revis on the field at the same time. this is the makings of an all time secondary.

like the Michael Jackson concert, THIS IS IT

lol. You're cute when you're all gloom and doom. I used to be that way once. And typing THIS IS IT in caps doesn't make your point any better. Particularly not when you're quoting a child molester.

I love it. Everyone we have will suck or be retired. It's hopeless. There is nothing in this franchise's future except assured failure no matter what, so the team might as well pay Revis $16M per season. Brad Smith and Eric Smith? This is really part of your concern? Is this a joke or are you serious with this weak sauce? Apparently the only way to show the Jets have realistic hope is to list a dozen current pro bowlers who presently are all between the ages of 24 and 28 and locked up for the next 5 seasons. Of course, since they're all so great, the Jets should pay all of them $8M or more per season (on top of Revis's $16M). We won't retain anyone of value and we won't sign anyone of value and we won't draft anyone of value. Every other team in the league will get better and the Jets will get worse. lol

You asked what key players are going to be on the team and I listed a motherload. Go find me a team - ONE team - that will have more than I laid out in 2012, or even AS much. Let's see you find one. Going with your line of thinking, the Colts and Patriots should be no problem since they have no starting QB under contract for 2012 and according to your line of logic that means they won't have one.

You're still advocating the Jets paying Revis $16M per year, which is laughable. And why, because you feel that in order to give this team its best chance this year it should sabotage its next 5 years? Who thinks like that other than Dan Snyder?

No team with a keen eye on its long-term future, and who has multiple high-profile players with contracts coming up, pays a friggin' CB $16M per season unless it is known that there will never be a salary cap again, or there will be a cap and it's going up to $200-250M in the near future. And it's certainly not done while that player is already under friggin' contract for 3 more years.

And Calvin Pace will be 31 when the 2012 season starts. He turns 32 during the second half of the season and hardly has a ton of mileage on him. Your restating that as him being 33+ at the time shows your desperate need to fabricate things that are not so to make a point.

Every day that goes by Revis becomes a bigger dickwipe to me as it becomes increasingly clearer he doesn't give a sh*t about Jets football. Asking for that big a slice of the cap pie will cost this team a lot of talent. Screw him.

No. Acording to Bitonti, it only costs a single pro-bowler and a few million. Appparentlty CB is the new QB. :rolleyes:

lol. You're cute when you're all gloom and doom. I used to be that way once. And typing THIS IS IT in caps doesn't make your point any better. Particularly not when you're quoting a child molester.

I love it. Everyone we have will suck or be retired. It's hopeless. There is nothing in this franchise's future except assured failure no matter what, so the team might as well pay Revis $16M per season. Brad Smith and Eric Smith? This is really part of your concern? Is this a joke or are you serious with this weak sauce? Apparently the only way to show the Jets have realistic hope is to list a dozen current pro bowlers who presently are all between the ages of 24 and 28 and locked up for the next 5 seasons. Of course, since they're all so great, the Jets should pay all of them $8M or more per season (on top of Revis's $16M). We won't retain anyone of value and we won't sign anyone of value and we won't draft anyone of value. Every other team in the league will get better and the Jets will get worse. lol

You asked what key players are going to be on the team and I listed a motherload. Go find me a team - ONE team - that will have more than I laid out in 2012, or even AS much. Let's see you find one. Going with your line of thinking, the Colts and Patriots should be no problem since they have no starting QB under contract for 2012 and according to your line of logic that means they won't have one.

You're still advocating the Jets paying Revis $16M per year, which is laughable. And why, because you feel that in order to give this team its best chance this year it should sabotage its next 5 years? Who thinks like that other than Dan Snyder?

No team with a keen eye on its long-term future, and who has multiple high-profile players with contracts coming up, pays a friggin' CB $16M per season unless it is known that there will never be a salary cap again, or there will be a cap and it's going up to $200-250M in the near future. And it's certainly not done while that player is already under friggin' contract for 3 more years.

And Calvin Pace will be 31 when the 2012 season starts. He turns 32 during the second half of the season and hardly has a ton of mileage on him. Your restating that as him being 33+ at the time shows your desperate need to fabricate things that are not so to make a point.

All of that is true.

HOWEVER, if the Jets don't re-sign any of their current players, and they also don't sign any free agents and they also don't draft anyone then our team will totally SUCK in 2012!!!!!

All of that is true.

HOWEVER, if the Jets don't re-sign any of their current players, and they also don't sign any free agents and they also don't draft anyone then our team will totally SUCK in 2012!!!!!

IF I'm the only living man on earth I'll win People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. BFD.

Apparently the only way to show the Jets have realistic hope is to list a dozen current pro bowlers who presently are all between the ages of 24 and 28 and locked up for the next 5 seasons.

Proving that the 2012 Jets will be competitive doesn't disprove that they have a better shot in 2010. I dont have every roster of every team memorized but just off the top of my head the Eagles have Kolb, Maclin, Jackson and Celek all under 25 and all under contract for a while. That team is the youngest in the league. This year they will be raw... will be a better shot for them 2 or 3 seasons from now.

The Jets are avg age in the 28 or 29 area they aren't getting younger at every position. They will have to reload after this year.

The Jets problem is that they can't replace some of these guys. They can't replace Jenkins, I follow the draft defensive tackles very closely every year and trust me 350 pound pass rushers don't exist. It took Jenks 8 years to become what he is today. they won't have Cro and Revis on the same roster. They won't have Harris and Holmes and Edwards. They won't have LT, JT and TRich. They won't have Coles as the 4th WR. they are stacked right now.

There's no way you can say 2012 will be just as good a shot as 2010. It's just not likely.

Proving that the 2012 Jets will be competitive doesn't disprove that they have a better shot in 2010.

What exactly is the purpose of this 2012 comparison you guys are doing? It's two years and a lockout away, not to mention the trivial fact that Revis is under contract for that season too, at a salary comparable to what he'll be making if and when a deal is done to boot, so this seems moot and stupid.

Proving that the 2012 Jets will be competitive doesn't disprove that they have a better shot in 2010. I dont have every roster of every team memorized but just off the top of my head the Eagles have Kolb, Maclin, Jackson and Celek all under 25 and all under contract for a while. That team is the youngest in the league. This year they will be raw... will be a better shot for them 2 or 3 seasons from now.

The Jets are avg age in the 28 or 29 area they aren't getting younger at every position. They will have to reload after this year.

The Jets problem is that they can't replace some of these guys. They can't replace Jenkins, I follow the draft defensive tackles very closely every year and trust me 350 pound pass rushers don't exist. It took Jenks 8 years to become what he is today. they won't have Cro and Revis on the same roster. They won't have Harris and Holmes and Edwards. They won't have LT, JT and TRich. They won't have Coles as the 4th WR. they are stacked right now.

There's no way you can say 2012 will be just as good a shot as 2010. It's just not likely.

Why not? You have no idea how good this 2010 team will be until after the season. Hell, the 2009 team went to the damn AFC championship game. So, the point is, anything is likely at this point.

What exactly is the purpose of this 2012 comparison you guys are doing? It's two years and a lockout away, not to mention the trivial fact that Revis is under contract for that season too, at a salary comparable to what he'll be making if and when a deal is done to boot, so this seems moot and stupid.

my point is that in the near future they don't have a better shot to win a SB than right now.

And I agree with Bugg they never gave out trophies for cap management.

The goal of this whole exercise is to win a SB. They need Revis to do it.

my point is Get him signed.

Likely or unlikely doesn't mean you give a CB $16M per season. Revis is not LIKELY to get so badly injured this season that it will affect his future earnings. Weird, though, he still wants up-front guaranteed money.

And you still haven't found a team as stacked yet under contract for 2012. The Eagles? LOL.

Kolb is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Jackson is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Bunkley is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Bradley is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Sims is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Akeem Jordan is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Hobbs is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Mikell is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Jean-Gilles is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Justice is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

Cole is a free agent, not under contract in 2012.

McCoy will be in the last year of his rookie deal for $565K. He's not playing without a new contract in 2012 that he presently doesn't have.

Cole was rumored to be a possible holdout 2 months ago in 2010. In 2012 he's not playing for $6M from 2012-2013 and then hit FA at age 32. Will never happen.

Who else does Philly have? Darryl Tapp, Asante Samuel at age 31, Maclin, Celek, and Weaver in his reneg year. Their "under contract" roster in 2012 is a joke compared to the Jets.

Get over this notion that the Jets have problems like no others.

my point is that in the near future they don't have a better shot to win a SB than right now.

See, that is just plain crazy. Let me ask you this. Are our chances of winning a SB better with Sanchez or Revis? If you say Revis, then you don't know the history of SB winners.

They need a healthy Sanchez if anything...he goes down, I don't care if you have Revis and his twin back there...we ain't winning zip.

Your point is to get him signed no matter what the cost, which is no way to run a team.

They don't give out trophies for cap management, yet the one team you tried to counter the Jets with is Philadelphia, the poster-child for frugal cap management.

The Jets chances of winning a SB goes up with Revis. Their chances go down without him. That is not a reason to tear up the contract of a player with 3 years left on his deal and replace it with one averaging $16M per season.

I think last night and last Monday you see exactly why the Jets are hesitant to give Revis that deal. Having all these stars on a team completely wipes out the depth on the club. How bad is it when your DC and HC on TV basically say in a preseason game "you know whats even worse is that some of these guys have to play for us in meaningful games"? If you sign someone to a contract like Revis is wanting is wipes out not just the backend depth but also wipes out one of two of those mid rung guys. The Calvin Pace or Bart Scott types. Thats very tough. And there is no corner in the NFL that can make that kind of impact, even one as good as Revis.

Archived