I expect big years from....

SenorGato

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Entering his prime years as a LT, this guy has improved noticeably every single season. I believe he's a top 5 LT in this league and he'll finally be noticed for it this year. IMO once Sanchez settles down D'Brick will be known as the best pass blocker in the league...

2. Calvin Pace - He's our 2nd best linebacker behind Scott. If you look around at the 3-4 OLBs around the league he's in the top 5 at the position too. He'll play a full 16 games this year and I expect double digit sacks. You have to love how he hits QBs...he also knows how to force a fumble (8 in the past 2 seasons).

3. Braylon Edwards - He's the offenses most talented player and dude's got a chip on his shoulder the size of something large.

4. Antonio Cromartie - He either buys into the program or he's doing it for him...either way the guy is the Edwards of the defense.

5. Dustin Keller - Yea...expect 800+ yards and 5+ TDs from him. He's ready.

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Entering his prime years as a LT, this guy has improved noticeably every single season. I believe he's a top 5 LT in this league and he'll finally be noticed for it this year. IMO once Sanchez settles down D'Brick will be known as the best pass blocker in the league...

2. Calvin Pace - He's our 2nd best linebacker behind Scott. If you look around at the 3-4 OLBs around the league he's in the top 5 at the position too. He'll play a full 16 games this year and I expect double digit sacks. You have to love how he hits QBs...he also knows how to force a fumble (8 in the past 2 seasons).

3. Braylon Edwards - He's the offenses most talented player and dude's got a chip on his shoulder the size of something large.

4. Antonio Cromartie - He either buys into the program or he's doing it for him...either way the guy is the Edwards of the defense.

5. Dustin Keller - Yea...expect 800+ yards and 5+ TDs from him. He's ready.

2. The best linebacker on this team is easily David Harris. Not Scott or Pace Harris also happens to be our best Pass Rusher.

2. The best linebacker on this team is easily David Harris. Not Scott or Pace Harris also happens to be our best Pass Rusher.

Meh...Harris got what he got last year because Scott did the dirty work...I don't even think Harris will be a Jet too much longer given that he's a LBer who lost any chance of the D being his when 1. we signed Scott and 2. he suffered multiple injuries....Someone will pay him, but I think the Jets know the value of a LB enough to know that they can survive without Harris.

Meh...Harris got what he got last year because Scott did the dirty work...I don't even think Harris will be a Jet too much longer given that he's a LBer who lost any chance of the D being his when 1. we signed Scott and 2. he suffered multiple injuries....Someone will pay him, but I think the Jets know the value of a LB enough to know that they can survive without Harris.

I was going to say you have your head screwed on right -- until I read this.

I was going to say you have your head screwed on right -- until I read this.

My head's OK-ish.

Harris is a very nice player...I don't think Harris is someone I'd give long term money to given the team and how easily Rex produces LBers. Spending money at a position where you can get similar production for less money is just dumb...throwing Harris' injury history on top of it makes it obvious...I think he's our Ed Hartwell.

Shonne Greene.

Let's hope LT gets the majority of his touches via the pass.

I hope LT gets enough carries to make sure Greene is ready for the playoffs. I also hope Greene spends alot of time working out with LT.

I'm somewhat worried about our RB depth.

800 yards and 5 TDs isn't really a big year. I hope Keller does have a big year which would mean much more than that.

Holmes is less talented but will be a far better player than Braylon. The Braylon lovers will watch him do what he does every year with no noticeable improvement.

Harris is way better than Scott, I think picking Scott as the better LBer is part of Gato's root for the underdog thing.

If you want to pick someone to have a break out year pick Greene. He looked unstoppable against the Giants.

800 yards and 5 TDs isn't really a big year.

For a TE? Seriously? It's not Dallas Clark 2009, but thats a damn good season for a TE.

I don't believe Holmes is a better player than Edwards...Can't take out that Edwards is a huge plus in the running game for a WR. Also, you should realize that Edwards has 1. never really sucked and 2. has spent most of his life being really, really good. I expect him to be able to play well entering his prime. And again, I think he's yeeeears ahead of Holmes as far as having the type of mentality I like in players.

Scott > Harris. Watch some tape of last years D and see who's taking on blockers for Harris...Harris was the guy at the end of the funnel...hence my comparisons to Ed Hartwell.

Greene is the most obvious breakout candidate on the planet...he's also the biggest injury risk on the roster not named Harris.

For a TE? Seriously? It's not Dallas Clark 2009, but thats a damn good season for a TE.

I don't believe Holmes is a better player than Edwards...Can't take out that Edwards is a huge plus in the running game for a WR. Also, you should realize that Edwards has 1. never really sucked and 2. has spent most of his life being really, really good. I expect him to be able to play well entering his prime. And again, I think he's yeeeears ahead of Holmes as far as having the type of mentality I like in players.

Scott > Harris. Watch some tape of last years D and see who's taking on blockers for Harris...Harris was the guy at the end of the funnel...hence my comparisons to Ed Hartwell.

Greene is the most obvious breakout candidate on the planet...he's also the biggest injury risk on the roster not named Harris.

I think the PIT offense failed to protect Santonio from having defenses focus on him. Hines Ward isn't good enough to protect the other WR from double teams. Now that Holmes is on the Jets people are going to see how good he really is.

Teams usually use the suckier ILB to take on blockers. So having Scott do that doesn't look good on his resume. I think Hartwell might have left the Ravens before they switched to the 3-4. And even if he didn't I don't get the comparison. It makes more sense to say that Scott was the new Hartwell during his time at BAL.

There are rumors Scott was injured last year. Injured or not he looks in better shape right now. Maybe he will have a great year. But I think last year just didn't live up to the hype.

I think the PIT offense failed to protect Santonio from having defenses focus on him. Hines Ward isn't good enough to protect the other WR from double teams. Now that Holmes is on the Jets people are going to see how good he really is.

The Pitt offense is perfect for Holmes...they ask him to do what he does best...go deep and get open for Roethlisberger. It's not like they asked the world of the guy.

Also, holy wow on Ward...he isn't what he used to be but he's a damn good WR. It's not like Edwards was playing with anything better in Cleveland.

Teams usually use the suckier ILB to take on blockers.

That's not true at all. Harris was asked to take up blocks back when he played with Vilma.

So having Scott do that doesn't look good on his resume.

Fortunately Scott's resume is what...7 years in? Harris has never had a season as good as Scott's '06.

I think Hartwell might have left the Ravens before they switched to the 3-4. And even if he didn't I don't get the comparison. It makes more sense to say that Scott was the new Hartwell during his time at BAL.

It's a simple comparison...:

- Harwell and Harris are/were the second best ILB on their team.

- Harwell and Harris put up flashier stats in a more aggressive D.

- Harris has a pretty significant (by NFL LB standards) injury history. Harwell famously got injured after leaving the Ravens and never was the same player.

It's pretty easy to say that Scott is a better player than Harwell. There's a reason Rex handpicked the dude to lead his new team in his new town last year...he's a former UDFA who made himself a starter at OLB and then ILB on a top 3 D...that says alot about his character and what kind of player he is.

There are rumors Scott was injured last year.

Yet another reason Harris put up the flashier numbers. Not to mention he missed no time despite the injuries...something Harris has done what...2-3 times in his career already?

Injured or not he looks in better shape right now. Maybe he will have a great year. But I think last year just didn't live up to the hype.

You should pay more attention to non-flashy things then...Scott was damn good last year...even with the injuries.

I expect Westerman or a 2011 draftee to start at ILB next to Scott in 2011. It's not a knock against Harris...I'm sure he'll be a good player wherever he goes barring injury...but he's the riskiest and most overrated of the guys we can lose.

I don't know how to seperate the quotes like that so let me respond to some of these in bullet point fashion:

- Harris only played with Vilma for the first half of his rookie year and then Vilma got hurt. I don't think that proves the better LBer is used to take up blockers.

- I'm pretty sure Scott played OLB in 06, not ILB. Thats a big reason why his sack numbers for that year dwarf those from the rest of his career. Even if Scott's 06 season was better than Harris', which I doubt, that is not relevant to what is happening now.

- I still don't get why you bring up Hartwell's name. His stats with BAL aren't really that good. In his last year with them he had no sacks, no INTs and one forced fumble and 96 tackles. He's not going to Canton on that.

- Harris' injury history is only relevant if you think he will be injured again this year. Are you predicting that?

- Rex handpicked Scott but he also hand picked Jim Leonhard. He also said Revis was half unicorn after one good year. Rex falls in love with players. By the end of the season he will say that Cromartie's tears can bring dead puppies back to life.

I'm not against Scott I just think he's overrated.

Agreed X 1000

So tired of the TV babies reading the headlines and blowing the players with the most press. Watch the games, please. read the stats, please. And stop the nonsense. HARRIS IS THE UNQUESTIONED ABSOLUTE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER NOT NAMED REVIS ON THIS SQUAD. Of course, he's a quiet guy, which must mean Bart miss-a-tackle, drop-the-fumble, talk-a-good-game is better. Seriously. He might not be fun, he won't sell a PSL, but he is the best linebacker on this football team, bar none.

I don't know how to seperate the quotes like that so let me respond to some of these in bullet point fashion:

- Harris only played with Vilma for the first half of his rookie year and then Vilma got hurt. I don't think that proves the better LBer is used to take up blockers.

- I'm pretty sure Scott played OLB in 06, not ILB. Thats a big reason why his sack numbers for that year dwarf those from the rest of his career. Even if Scott's 06 season was better than Harris', which I doubt, that is not relevant to what is happening now.

- I still don't get why you bring up Hartwell's name. His stats with BAL aren't really that good. In his last year with them he had no sacks, no INTs and one forced fumble and 96 tackles. He's not going to Canton on that.

- Harris' injury history is only relevant if you think he will be injured again this year. Are you predicting that?

- Rex handpicked Scott but he also hand picked Jim Leonhard. He also said Revis was half unicorn after one good year. Rex falls in love with players. By the end of the season he will say that Cromartie's tears can bring dead puppies back to life.

I'm not against Scott I just think he's overrated.

Off the top of my head he's had 2 healthy seasons in his last 5-6 years of football. Last year and his draft year...

The way you feel about Scott is how I feel on Harris. I wasn't even Scott's biggest fan at the time of his signing, but he established himself as this teams on field leader pretty well last year. I like what he brings to this D in many ways. His ability to stay on the field is nice. The fact that he played OLB in '06 only shows the kind of player he is...again...this is an UDFA who came through the leagues best D with their former DC, our current HC, teaching and then picking him...he's learned to play OLB and ILB in this D, he's a top player at his position, and the teams already got a long term commitment to him...none of this adds up well for Harris.

I say Hartwell because Hartwell was a really good player for a really good Ravens D...Unfortunately for him they had a leader at ILB already, the Ravens pump out LBers for their D like it's their business (and it is), no one wants to pay big money for a LB unless they have to, and we certainly don't HAVE to pay Harris.

You speak about Leonhard as if he's hurting this D...or as if he and Scott are similar type players at all beyond Rex liking them.

What I like about Harris is that very few LBers are good in all three of these areas: run stopping, coverage and pass rushing.

Its very hard to find a LBer who is good at all three of those things, just name some if you think its easy. I don't think Scott is good at all three because outside of the 06 season he is not an effective pass rusher. And Scott isn't always impressive against the run while I can't remember a game where Harris didn't eat up the run. Put it all together and I think Harris is a far better player.

...Scott is an excellent pass rusher...that would be why Rex used him at OLB when he was younger, and why he could pile up 9 sacks there. If you pay attention to Rex's D, it's not about sack numbers...those are a product of it sure, but it's on the focus...Suggs is an excellent pass rusher and in Rex's last couple years there he had like 8 total...Pettine called one of those seasons one of Suggs' personal best.

Skillwise, Scott is a very similar to Harris tbh...just that he's in his prime years, he's healthier, he's got the contract, and he's the guy who knows the D in and out.

...Scott is an excellent pass rusher...that would be why Rex used him at OLB when he was younger, and why he could pile up 9 sacks there. If you pay attention to Rex's D, it's not about sack numbers...those are a product of it sure, but it's on the focus...Suggs is an excellent pass rusher and in Rex's last couple years there he had like 8 total...Pettine called one of those seasons one of Suggs' personal best.

Skillwise, Scott is a very similar to Harris tbh...just that he's in his prime years, he's healthier, he's got the contract, and he's the guy who knows the D in and out.

Lemme change the subject. Dennis Thurman said 06 was the best secondary he ever had. 06 was also the year Scott and Adalius Thomas had their best sack years. Scott has really done nothing as a pass rusher outside of 06 and Adalius never broke double digits outside of 06.

I think this shows the importance of the secondary to Rex's scheme. If they can get the secondary to play at an 06 level this defense could do amazing things up front. In 06 BAL had the top defense in the league and gave up 12 points a game. If that happens here we win da supa bo.

Lemme change the subject. Dennis Thurman said 06 was the best secondary he ever had. 06 was also the year Scott and Adalius Thomas had their best sack years. Scott has really done nothing as a pass rusher outside of 06 and Adalius never broke double digits outside of 06.

I think this shows the importance of the secondary to Rex's scheme. If they can get the secondary to play at an 06 level this defense could do amazing things up front. In 06 BAL had the top defense in the league and gave up 12 points a game. If that happens here we win da supa bo.

Yep...I love the idea of Lowery as the #4 CB once Revis is back.

Watch the games, please. read the stats, please. And stop the nonsense. HARRIS IS THE UNQUESTIONED ABSOLUTE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER NOT NAMED REVIS ON THIS SQUAD.

Harris isn't even the unquestioned absolute third-best linebacker on this squad.

Keller is a good one with the obvious caveat. I think Pool is gonna blow up. He was Cleveland's best defensive back by far and put up similar charting numbers in their awful defense to the ones Rhodes put up in ours. Plus everybody's been raving about his camp and Smith has gotten good enough that the fact that Pool's already ahead of him actually means something.

Please tell me you are joking. Harris is a friggin' beast.

Off the top of my head he's had 2 healthy seasons in his last 5-6 years of football. Last year and his draft year...

The way you feel about Scott is how I feel on Harris. I wasn't even Scott's biggest fan at the time of his signing, but he established himself as this teams on field leader pretty well last year. I like what he brings to this D in many ways. His ability to stay on the field is nice. The fact that he played OLB in '06 only shows the kind of player he is...again...this is an UDFA who came through the leagues best D with their former DC, our current HC, teaching and then picking him...he's learned to play OLB and ILB in this D, he's a top player at his position, and the teams already got a long term commitment to him...none of this adds up well for Harris.

I say Hartwell because Hartwell was a really good player for a really good Ravens D...Unfortunately for him they had a leader at ILB already, the Ravens pump out LBers for their D like it's their business (and it is), no one wants to pay big money for a LB unless they have to, and we certainly don't HAVE to pay Harris.

You speak about Leonhard as if he's hurting this D...or as if he and Scott are similar type players at all beyond Rex liking them.

Harris has only been in the leabgue for three years. He had one major injury which cost him 5 games in 2008. He is hadly and "injury prone" player. :rolleyes:

Harris is about 100 times better than Edgarton Hartwell. It's not even a comparison. Harris had 5.5 sacks as an inside LB which is just sick. He hits like a mack truck and no LB on this team is better at taking on and shedding O-linemen than Harris.

You're so offbase in your analysis it isn't funny.

IMO Harris is probably better at what he does than Scott. OTOH, Harris is not as versatile and I think he pretty much blows in pass coverage. I don't see Harris being as successful playing outside or in a 4-3. Think of an older Mo Lewis and Shade Tree in the cover who. I think you are all wrong and I think Pace is probably the best LB on the team. They are all good or very good, but none of them are great.

Archived