Slauson v. Ducasse

dbatesman

I hate to derail any discussion that includes both Darrelle Revis and Tim Cowlishaw, but I've only caught bits and pieces of Saturday's game. Anyone watching the LG battle? From what I understand the 1st and 2nd team offenses were both crapola, but any specific comments would be appreciated.

I hate to derail any discussion that includes both Darrelle Revis and Tim Cowlishaw, but I've only caught bits and pieces of Saturday's game. Anyone watching the LG battle? From what I understand the 1st and 2nd team offenses were both crapola, but any specific comments would be appreciated.

I've actually watched Slauson about as much as anybody. To tell you the truth he looks no worse than Faneca, and i think we'll be just fine. He looked very good when playing next to Mangold last game, unlike when he naturally struggled next to Turner game 1. Ducasse is obviously a beast strength wise as far as road grading goes. He wiped out a few guys when run blocking. The only thing that scares me with him at the moment is his technique in pass blocking,he is terribly sloppy and gets off balance. He will improve tho under Callahan. I dont expect Vlad to start this year, Matt is light years ahead in every aspect.

Ducasse started playing football sophomore year of HS and went to a D1-AA school.

I had no illusions of him stepping in and starting this year.

He will need at least a year — maybe even two — to get up to pro speed and learn Callahan's advanced zone blocking scheme.

I've actually watched Slauson about as much as anybody. To tell you the truth he looks no worse than Faneca, and i think we'll be just fine. He looked very good when playing next to Mangold last game, unlike when he naturally struggled next to Turner game 1. Ducasse is obviously a beast strength wise as far as road grading goes. He wiped out a few guys when run blocking. The only thing that scares me with him at the moment is his technique in pass blocking,he is terribly sloppy and gets off balance. He will improve tho under Callahan. I dont expect Vlad to start this year, Matt is light years ahead in every aspect.

At REX's Presser he was critical of Slauson's pass protection on Saturday night and did not say a word about Vlad. I think Slauson is ahead but by mid-season I expect VLAD to get several reps with the first team. The man is a monster but slauson is not exactly a small guy either. We are fortunate to have both.

At REX's Presser he was critical of Slauson's pass protection on Saturday night and did not say a word about Vlad. I think Slauson is ahead but by mid-season I expect VLAD to get several reps with the first team. The man is a monster but slauson is not exactly a small guy either. We are fortunate to have both.

I disagree. Vlad will only see the field as a backup to other starters like Slauson,Moore and Woody. Vlad may start next season tho

slauson is decent in run blocking and somewhat of a liability in pass pro. If you are a defensive coordinator looking for a weak spot on the Jets OL, a place to run a blitz or stunt thru, it's the LG position. I guess we could say the same about Faneca... so they might not be much worse off... but to call it an upgrade is wishful thinking.

slauson is decent in run blocking and somewhat of a liability in pass pro. If you are a defensive coordinator looking for a weak spot on the Jets OL, a place to run a blitz or stunt thru, it's the LG position. I guess we could say the same about Faneca... so they might not be much worse off... but to call it an upgrade is wishful thinking.

Faneca was a full blown liability, you can close your eyes to that if you wish, but still just getting younger at the position makes it an upgrade.

Faneca was a full blown liability, you can close your eyes to that if you wish, but still just getting younger at the position makes it an upgrade.

when an OL starts 30 games together, and then swap out a 9x pro bowl for a 2nd year player it's usually NOT an upgrade.

youll see in Arizona, Faneca is less than he used to be but still better than Slauson.

A wash (same) would be excellent and about all we can realistically expect. If ducasse turns it on and starts at some point it might be an upgrade.

when an OL starts 30 games together, and then swap out a 9x pro bowl for a 2nd year player it's usually NOT an upgrade.

youll see in Arizona, Faneca is less than he used to be but still better than Slauson.

A wash (same) would be excellent and about all we can realistically expect. If ducasse turns it on and starts at some point it might be an upgrade.

I take it you did not see Faneca last night? He's a disaster!

I basically see it as a wash and I'm sure part of it was $$$. I think Ducasse has an incredible potential but he's so insanely raw I have to agree with the 1-2 years assessment.

I take it you did not see Faneca last night? He's a disaster!

i generally agree, my problem is the "calling it an upgrade" part.

Yes the Jets can put Slauson in there and he can whiff at a tenth of the price of Faneca.

But let's not call it an upgrade please. It's an upgrade from an accounting perspective. From a football perspective Slauson offers slightly worse run blocking and similar pass blocking. It's a wash at best.

Yes the Jets can put Slauson in there and he can whiff at a tenth of the price of Faneca.

But let's not call it an upgrade please. It's an upgrade from an accounting perspective. From a football perspective Slauson offers slightly worse run blocking and similar pass blocking. It's a wash at best.

If they get the same results, it's an upgrade.

Not only did we get younger, but two younger guys are going to get much needed experience.

That's a football perspective upgrade!

Yes this was a money move. People calling it anything else is not correct. Still surprises me they did it actually. Seemed like with no cap you keep Faneca and let somebody try to beat him out. Since they knew that wouldn't happen it became a money move.

Yes this was a money move. People calling it anything else is not correct. Still surprises me they did it actually. Seemed like with no cap you keep Faneca and let somebody try to beat him out. Since they knew that wouldn't happen it became a money move.

A weird money move, then. Cutting him saved a bit, but if memory serves they still had to pay him the majority of the money. Doing that is a waste.

If they get the same results, it's an upgrade.

Not only did we get younger, but two younger guys are going to get much needed experience.

That's a football perspective upgrade!

A football perspective upgrade would be getting better performance at the position or at least netting another player from money saved and having an improvement overall. Like Folk + Taylor > Feely. That's not the case here. If Slauson or Ducasse are not better than Faneca it's no upgrade in my opinion. I don't care about experience, I care about production.

A weird money move, then. Cutting him saved a bit, but if memory serves they still had to pay him the majority of the money. Doing that is a waste.

I thought the same thing. Either they think Faneca is VERY close to done or they did it to save money next year. They are paying a huge chunk to play for the Cards. The only other reason I can see is that, if there is a cap next year then cutting Faneca may have moved that money to the new cap whether he is cut in 2011 or not. So it may have been a move for the future money-wise as well as personnel-wise.

A football perspective upgrade would be getting better performance at the position or at least netting another player from money saved and having an improvement overall. Like Folk + Taylor > Feely. That's not the case here. If Slauson or Ducasse are not better than Faneca it's no upgrade in my opinion. I don't care about experience, I care about production.

Typically experience precedes production, no?

Ducasse started playing football sophomore year of HS and went to a D1-AA school.

I had no illusions of him stepping in and starting this year.

He will need at least a year — maybe even two — to get up to pro speed and learn Callahan's advanced zone blocking scheme.

I agree and Slauson is no slouch! Brick and Woody seem to be more of our problem. But how is an OL judged most of the time? In the run game. Anyone see LT and Greene run well last night. This OL will come together. Consistencvy takes time. It takes years for an OL to play as one.

Jesus Christ is Ducasse bad — almost got Sanchez murdered last night.

Slauson has this in the bag — and it wasn't even that close.

It's sad we wasted a second-round pick on a guy who can't make an impact this season.

How often do rookies make an impact their first season? Answer: Rarely. We've been spoiled with a LOT of quality draft picks since Tannenbaum took over. Can't expect to hit on all of them, and certainly can't expect to hit RIGHT AWAY.

Ducasse has talent and he also has the best line coach in the game. I like his chances if he's just given some time.

How often do rookies make an impact their first season? Answer: Rarely. We've been spoiled with a LOT of quality draft picks since Tannenbaum took over. Can't expect to hit on all of them, and certainly can't expect to hit RIGHT AWAY.

Ducasse has talent and he also has the best line coach in the game. I like his chances if he's just given some time.

Then all the talk of Ducasse stepping in for Faneca was straight-up bullsh*t.

Then all the talk of Ducasse stepping in for Faneca was straight-up bullsh*t.

That was never the only option. Plan B is him replacing Woody after this season, which would be ideal. It would prevent us from having to draft/sign another lineman, at least not early on in the draft.

That was never the only option. Plan B is him replacing Woody after this season, which would be ideal. It would prevent us from having to draft/sign another lineman, at least not early on in the draft.

I hope that happens.

IMO, Ducasse should start trying to master RT — which is his natural position — and completely forget guard.

Woody could teach the kid a lot.

Jesus Christ is Ducasse bad — almost got Sanchez murdered last night.

Slauson has this in the bag — and it wasn't even that close.

It's sad we wasted a second-round pick on a guy who can't make an impact this season.

You can't be freaking serious? Now he's a wasted pick? Give is some time will ya. I agree with you that Slauson has it in the bag though.

You can't be freaking serious? Now he's a wasted pick? Give is some time will ya. I agree with you that Slauson has it in the bag though.

The expectations people have are unreal. We are where we are today because this team drafts extremely well. They are spoiled by this and expect every pick to hit right away.

IMO Ducasse looks bad because he's inexperienced. He's a massive guy that can get push. He's more naturally talented than Slauson physically. He got beat BAD last night but to me he's a guy worth putting a lot of effort into because he can be good.

It's not a money move, Faneca was guaranteed most of his salary so the Jets didn't really save anything. They did it to get competition for the LG spot and get somebody new in.

Faneca was also terrible on the Cards in pass protection, and I am not impressed with their run game either. The Cards are an absolute mess.

If Kurt Warner didn't already have a HoF spot locked up, after people watch how bad this offense looks this year, I think they will give it to him. Can't believe he held it together.

Archived