Drew Rosenhaus

ZachEY

Drew Rosenhaus is still the NFL's most prominent agent. He's known as a tough negotiator and by fans, a dick...

"We haven't had a drafted player or veteran hold out of training camp in six years," Rosenhaus said. "I can't guarantee that will continue with three first-round picks, but it's something we take a lot of pride in."

Maybe we don't blame Revis here?

I'm actually really surprised by that...

... + 1 ...

... he has long been one of, if not the, premier negotiating agents for players ... yet has not resorted to this tactic in 6 years (wonder how many had done it before that though ? ) ... someone has to give a realistic expectation to the player ... seeing what is beneficial to the team as well as the player ... and then moving the bar a "reasonable" or even "borderline unreasonable" distance towards the players side ... rather than promising the moon + all the stars too ...

l_j_r

At the end of the day, its his decision.

Its all on Mevi$.

That is true, it is Revis's decision. But, these players listen to their advisers. I doubt Revis made this call on his own.

My bet, if the day the Mangold deal came down, Revis's agents said, 'We see the Jets reward hard work, and team first attitude, we think you should be in camp', that Revis would show up the next day.

Call it what you will, but most of these guys aren't savvy enough to be making these decisions themselves. I believe they trust their agents.

At the end of the day, its his decision.

Its all on Mevi$.

Don't discount the influence an agent has on a player. Kendall, Baker, Vincent Jackson, Revis...what do they all have in common? They've had contract issues on their then-current teams, and are all represented by the same people. Coincidence? I don't think so.

... + 1 ...

... he has long been one of, if not the, premier negotiating agents for players ... yet has not resorted to this tactic in 6 years (wonder how many had done it before that though ? ) ... someone has to give a realistic expectation to the player ... seeing what is beneficial to the team as well as the player ... and then moving the bar a "reasonable" or even "borderline unreasonable" distance towards the players side ... rather than promising the moon + all the stars too ...

l_j_r

I honestly believe that at least in some small way, Revis's agents feel they can't cave because of how it will make them look.

The Jets will probably have to blink first, because the negative PR based on caving is significantly smaller that it will be to Team Revis.

exactly right JiF...all the selfish prick needs to do is tell the scumbag shysters to "get it done" and he'll be playing football again

Not for nothing, but Revis' scumbag shyster agents are the same cocksuckers who represented Pete Kendall and Chriis Baker. I think part of this is their revenge for the Jets owning their asses on those deals.

They finally got themselves a player who is worth the money so they are going to stick it to the Jets for all they can get.

Not for nothing, but Revis' scumbag shyster agents are the same cocksuckers who represented Pete Kendall and Chriis Baker. I think part of this is their revenge for the Jets owning their asses on those deals.

They finally got themselves a player who is worth the money so they are going to stick it to the Jets for all they can get.

As I eluded to above, and LJR points out, they also have the second big hold-out this year, Vincent Jackson.

I don't know if it's a vendetta against the Jets, or maybe they just suck at their jobs.

Im in favor of whatever outcome wins this team the most games.

we ALL wanted him back Bit but he is the one not COMING-screw Darrelle Revis and his posse too. let him sit out and make our trade demands as unreasonable as his finacial demands are to the Jets

As I eluded to above, and LJR points out, they also have the second big hold-out this year, Vincent Jackson.

I don't know if it's a vendetta against the Jets, or maybe they just suck at their jobs.

I think that's just the way they are. Not very good at working with others on a middle ground solution. This sucks!

I was too.

Now, who are the two biggest hold-outs this year? Then, go look at their agents for a surprise!

True...but one player actually has a case. His contract is up. And If I'm not mistaken, he's been playing for peanuts over the last couple of years.

That is true, it is Revis's decision. But, these players listen to their advisers. I doubt Revis made this call on his own.

My bet, if the day the Mangold deal came down, Revis's agents said, 'We see the Jets reward hard work, and team first attitude, we think you should be in camp', that Revis would show up the next day.

Call it what you will, but most of these guys aren't savvy enough to be making these decisions themselves. I believe they trust their agents.

He's clearly got some outside influences, agents, uncle, etc. But still he's a big boy, he can make his own decision...and should.

Don't discount the influence an agent has on a player. Kendall, Baker, Vincent Jackson, Revis...what do they all have in common? They've had contract issues on their then-current teams, and are all represented by the same people. Coincidence? I don't think so.

See above...

Vincent Jackson is entering his 6th NFL season, is still a RFA, and was never offered a deal longer than the 1-year RFA tender. Over those first 5 years he's made somewhere in the neighborhood of $6M total and right now the only contract offer on the table from San Diego is a 1-year deal for the league minimum, after which he is a free agent.

The hardest negotiations for an agent isn't with the team. Its with his own client.

I am willing to bet more than once Drew has had to take a very hard line with his own clients, even to the effect of "Look this is the best deal you are getting from the team and it is a fair deal. If you don't sign this contract right now, you will be holding out at least five days because you will need to find another agent." I can't get you a better deal than this and neither can any other agent.

The other thing I am willing to bet has happened is Drew turning down clients. He isn't desperate he has a thriving business. If in the initial meeting an agent realizes that the prospective client has unreasonable expectations that can't be tempered, then a good agent doesn't take the business.

Although Drew can be a dick. And he will push a team to the limit. I bet most teams don't really mind negotiating with him. They know he is going to demand and get as much as he can for his client. But if the team agrees to terms with Drew then they can be assured that Drew will get the player to sign the contract. And while Drew will want the most he can get for his client he won't insist on more than he can realistically get.

I'm a big believer in the idea that lacking a sense of humor is a serious warning sign when dealing with people. If you watch Rosenhaus on tv he's funny and can take a joke about himself. But this fiensod and schwartz pair, they seem like the exact kind of humorless creeps you need to stay away from in life.

Archived