what are you doing to kick off the NFL year on Thursday???

Blackout

I'm having a few buddies over to practice Rastafarism and drink beverages containing alcoholic value. Nothing special but I wanted to know what the rest of Jetnation is doing.

Also, to get myself hyped up I've been watching NFL films videos the last week or so - I can't wait to see the Jets superbowl highlights this year!

I'll be taking an S.A.T class from 6-930 wont be home until 10.

awesome.

Those SAT classes were a joke, you don't need them. If you can get out of it, do it. Here's all you need to know, condensing your 3 hour class into 2 minutes:

1) If you can narrow a question down to 2 choices, guess. If not, pass on the question. Its in your best interests NOT to answer every question.

2) Practice tests are helpful but not the be-all and end-all. They're mostly useful to get the timing down if nothing else. You don't want to end up hearing "time is up, put your pencils down!" when you have 10 questions left.

3) No, the answer isn't always "C".

4) Admittedly, I never had to take the essay portion of the SAT's, since the new version came out 1 year after I took the SAT's. However, on any standardized test, the writing portion is your time to shine. If you like to read & write, you're golden. If not, be sure to work hard on improving yourself in this area. You can come off looking like a genius in the multiple choice aspect, but it won't matter if you can't craft together a sentence and have poor grammar.

5) Make sure to get a good night's sleep before the SAT and eat a good breakfast. Those two factors might just be the most important besides simply showing up prepared with your pencil, calculator and bottled water. If you come into the test feeling sick, your performance will diminish greatly.

That's about it and good luck!

Those SAT classes were a joke, you don't need them. If you can get out of it, do it. Here's all you need to know, condensing your 3 hour class into 2 minutes:

1) If you can narrow a question down to 2 choices, guess. If not, pass on the question. Its in your best interests NOT to answer every question.

2) Practice tests are helpful but not the be-all and end-all. They're mostly useful to get the timing down if nothing else. You don't want to end up hearing "time is up, put your pencils down!" when you have 10 questions left.

4) Admittedly, I never had to take the essay portion of the SAT's, since the new version came out 1 year after I took the SAT's. However, on any standardized test, the writing portion is your time to shine. If you like to read & write, you're golden. If not, be sure to work hard on improving yourself in this area. You can come off looking like a genius in the multiple choice aspect, but it won't matter if you can't craft together a sentence and have poor grammar.

5) Make sure to get a good night's sleep before the SAT and eat a good breakfast. Those two factors might just be the most important besides simply showing up prepared with your pencil, calculator and bottled water. If you come into the test feeling sick, your performance will diminish greatly.

Good advice. And if all else fails, have someone with a fake ID take the tests for you that you know will make you come out looking like a genius.

Good advice. And if all else fails, have someone with a fake ID take the tests for you that you know will make you come out looking like a genius.

Screw what I said, Jetkid, listen to this man. All they ask you to bring to the SAT's is a driver's license or some other from of ID, you could so get away with it.

I'll be taking an S.A.T class from 6-930 wont be home until 10.

awesome.

I generally think people would be better off with a book and individually studying...cheaper and you know what you need to know. Rather than having to cater to the lowest denominator in the class, you get the personalized attention for free. Granted, others need a class or something else to maintain a schedule. Many people at my school go to this private tutor for SAT help...their scores are barely improved. And they give him boatloads of money--so much so that it's now his only job. His claim to fame was his son getting a 2400...I think they're all getting duped. Haha.

With all that said, I need to start studying for a couple SAT 2s...yay.

Good luck on the SATs though...are you going into junior or senior year?

You forgot don't eat turkey for lunch the day of the test, tryptophan. :yawn:

I totally disagree with this. I consider myself a pretty good writer and a voracious reader, but the writing section is BS. Not only is there so much variability in personal experiences with the prompt (thus some having more to write about than others, regardless of how open-ended they say it is), not everyone writes well under a time prompt. Too much pressure to come up with a good idea for the prompt and then structure it in so little time. This doesn't even factor in handwriting, especially with a pencil. I write like a lefty with my right hand, which equals pencil smears everywhere. I write very small anyways, and it takes teachers a few assignments to get used to it. The SAT people never have a chance to "get used to it". And writing neater isn't an option, because then I write much slower and don't get everything in...

I totally disagree with this. I consider myself a pretty good writer and a voracious reader, but the writing section is BS. Not only is there so much variability in personal experiences with the prompt (thus some having more to write about than others, regardless of how open-ended they say it is), not everyone writes well under a time prompt. Too much pressure to come up with a good idea for the prompt and then structure it in so little time. This doesn't even factor in handwriting, especially with a pencil. I write like a lefty with my right hand, which equals pencil smears everywhere. I write very small anyways, and it takes teachers a few assignments to get used to it. The SAT people never have a chance to "get used to it". And writing neater isn't an option, because then I write much slower and don't get everything in...

OK but none of the above negates the importance of the writing section. My point is that its the one part of the test where you can either make up for a poor effort in the multiple-choice portion (some people have lots of trouble with it) OR screw up a strong effort.

OK but none of the above negates the importance of the writing section. My point is that its the one part of the test where you can either make up for a poor effort in the multiple-choice portion (some people have lots of trouble with it) OR screw up a strong effort.

If the writing section is so important, why is it the most deemphasized sections of the test? For most schools it means little to nothing. Many schools (Cornell, MIT, etc) don't even give you the mid-50% for writing because they don't care about it. It will not screw up a strong effort or make up lackluster CR/M scores...

SATs are the biggest crock around, they're a straight money grab and a nice way to throw stress in the lives of juniors and seniors. Sure, I didn't do well according to the standard but didn't reflect my grades in high school, college..or hell stop me from becoming a teacher. Best thing to do is take your time, get a good night sleep and not make it the end-all-be-all to your college career. Things usually work itself out in the end anyway..

As for me, thanks to the good ol' Jewish holidays this guy had today and tomorrow off. So round 2 of drinking heavily will begin, well probably in the near future with a few friends before the game. God I hope Brett Favre dies tonight

SATs are the biggest crock around, they're a straight money grab and a nice way to throw stress in the lives of juniors and seniors. Sure, I didn't do well according to the standard but didn't reflect my grades in high school, college..or hell stop me from becoming a teacher. Best thing to do is take your time, get a good night sleep and not make it the end-all-be-all to your college career. Things usually work itself out in the end anyway..

As for me, thanks to the good ol' Jewish holidays this guy had today and tomorrow off. So round 2 of drinking heavily will begin, well probably in the near future with a few friends before the game. God I hope Brett Favre dies tonight

Bro you think it's bad here, you should check out Ireland. The Leaving Certs are pretty much the only things looked at when it comes to college admissions, which is a joke. There are different cutoffs for different majors.

I love Jewish Holidays, I wish we had more of them.

We get to do absolutely nothing but sleep in and watch Football!

Hooray Jewish Holidays!

Archived