Joe Namath cites jets' lack of Discipline

Fin Fan In Cali

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Joe-Namath-cites-Jets-lack-of-discipline.html

Namath said the arrest and the aftermath have left a distinct negative impact on the team.

"Players, every day, every hour, they're hearing about it, someone's talking to them about it," Namath said. "It's no doubt it's a major distraction."

And Namath pointed out that acquiring Edwards might not have been such a wise move. Edwards was arrested for assaulting a LeBron James friend shortly before the Jets traded for him.

"I'd have to talk with the folks that evaluate the personnel we have because they're not picking the sharpest folks, mentality-wise, when you consider past performances off the field as well," he said.

man, give this guy a radio show and he's a quote -a-day machine

he's right to an extent, but the NFL is very different now, to acquire a net gain in talent you have to either open up the vault and cripple your cap and get lucky with a big FA, get stupid lucky in the draft, or take risks

the jets took many this off season

they did essentially sell their souls for a ring

and I thank them for that

funny that a fin fan posts this...How many of your players were arrested or suspended in the offseason?

four arrests since the SB, 6 arrests in the past 12 months

hypocrisy

So now it’s Phillip Merling who is the latest Miami Dolphin to show up on the police blotter.

Merling, entering his third NFL season out of Clemson, was arrested Wednesday and charged with aggravated battery against a pregnant woman in Weston.

That makes four Dolphins arrested since Super Bow Sunday, and all of them are key contributors: DL Tony McDaniel (misdemeanor domestic battery), CB Will Allen (DUI), RB Ronnie Brown (DUI) and now Merling, who is expected to battle first-rounder Jared Odrick for the starting job at right defensive end now that Randy Starks has moved inside to nose tackle.

The Dolphins had no comment.

Jimmy Sexton, the agent for Merling as well as Dolphins coach Tony Sparano and football operations chief Bill Parcells, did not immediately return a text message.

On a side note, Merling is listed at 305 pounds on the arrest report, which also has him at 6-5. On the Dolphins’ latest roster, he is listed at 6-4 and 295 pounds, which is what Sparano said Merling ended at last season.

So either he’s packed on 10 pounds of muscle, which wouldn’t make a lot of sense considering his position, or he’s about 10 pounds overweight, which won’t exactly help him work his way out of the Trifecta’s doghouse any faster.

Here’s what Sparano had to say in March at the owners meetings about Merling, who was the 32nd overall pick in 2008 (only Jake Long was taken before Merling upon Bill Parcells’ arrival):

“I want to see continued improvement from Phillip. He’s a guy that I’d hope would take another step towards getting better. He works hard at it. He really does, and he’s pretty conscientious about those things. As far as taking a step back, there are some things Phillip could have done better. …

“Merling is a hard working guy and we need him to take the next step. … From our end there is a lot of work to be done there. He was drafted to be a defensive end in this defense and help us with the rush. Do some of those things, which he has done throughout the season on different occasions but he needs to be more consistent.”

So, does Odrick move ahead of Merling to work with the first group when veteran minicamp opens Friday?

And how many more of these embarrassing episodes must the Dolphins and their fans endure before somebody — anybody — gets cut or traded just to make a statement?

Add in DL Randy Starks (charges since reduced to a traffic violation) and practice squad CB Will Billingsley (domestic battery), and six Dolphins have been arrested in the last calendar year.

At those same owners meetings, Sparano was asked to react to the idea the Dolphins merely pay lip service to the character issue in light of these arrests.

“I understand why you might say it looks like lip service,” Sparano said. “But some of the players that have had these issues … have been players of high character in this league for a while. So you can’t dismiss that. You absolutely can’t.

“Are we happy? No. We’re not happy. We’re disappointed some of them put themselves in this position. But we’re going to let the process take care of itself. These players have been good people in this league for a long time. I’ve been tough on them. At the same time you want to listen. I do listen and I talk. In all cases they clearly understand where we are.”

Are you comfortable with where the Dolphins are on this front ?

are allen and brown playing this weekend ?

bueller ?

Think about it. One of your own legends is smacking your current organization. We have our own troubles, but we don't have one of our talking about our organization before a Nationally televised game.

Oh no, we are terrified, our season is doomed, Namath is probably going to go into the facility on monday and shoot everyone in the locker room because he is so outraged. child please!

Do you think anyone on the team cares? As if the opinion of an old jets legend is going to have an impact on the team. We love Joe, but he needs to stay quiet, he hasn't exactly been the model of discipline. You don't have a former member of your team criticizing your team but Chad Henne, who has accomplished absolutely nothing criticizes Tim Tebow saying he isn't an NFL quarterback and when the jury is still out on Henne himself...now that's funny.

Lets run down your team though, I mean, since our team is so undisciplined the Miami dolphins with that Parcells influence have to be the model of class and order right? I mean it only makes sense doesn't it?

Will Allen arrested on DUI

Ronnie Brown arrested on DUI

Tony Mcdaniel arrested on domestic battery

Philip Merling arrested on aggravated battery of a pregnant woman.

Stay classy Miami ;)

Think about it. One of your own legends is smacking your current organization. We have our own troubles, but we don't have one of our own talking about our organization before a Nationally televised game.

I'm saddened by this thread. You're usually just a stand up guy. It's something I noticed because it's an extreme rarity amongst fish fans here. But here you are starting some standard weak trolling thread.

Sad.

Think about it. One of your own legends is smacking your current organization. We have our own troubles, but we don't have one of our own talking about our organization before a Nationally televised game.

that's because he was the biggest drunk back when he played!!

I'm saddened by this thread. You're usually just a stand up guy. It's something I noticed because it's an extreme rarity amongst fish fans here. But here you are starting some standard weak trolling thread.

Sad.

Max hacked his account?

lol

Yeah he usually stays out of the lower levels of aquaphish crap.

When he played, Namath was known to occasionally say hi to Sonny Werblin, the Jets' owner, when he ran into him at one New York's hot spots-in the wee hours of the morning the night before the game.

I love Joe, but this is one issue he'd be better off remaining silent on.

The closest thing you guys have to a legend is Dan Marino, a man whose name is synonymous with "never got a ring..." and he goes out of his way NOT to draw attention to his playing days in Miami.

Personally, I'd rather have Namath, SuperBowl III (the most historically significant SB in the history of the game) and his opinions and loyalty to the organization, than Dan and his Jenny Craig commercials.

I don't think any Jets fan on this site needs to be prodded to "think about" Joe Namath taking a vested interest in being as much of a fan of the Jets as those that consider him a legend. In fact, I applaud Joe for offering constructive criticism of the current Jets as opposed to sugar-coating everything that is going on.

Joe's outbursts are nothing more than tough love, and he is echoing the sentiment of many people in the fanbase... the thing that is great about it is, Joe has become a great vessel for the fanbase's opinion to be elevated to the level that the organization has to at least listen.

There is a second aspect to this, independent of the legal issues.

It was 5 am. The Jets players were on an all night drinking binge.

As Rex Ryan pointed out after the Patriots game, he wasn't surprised with the outcome of either game, because the Jets offense had a horrible week of practice before the Raven's game and a great week of practice before the Patriots game.

Pulling an all nighter drinking takes most people several days to a week to fully recover from. Not that he would miss practice, but the players would be dragging their asses in practice.

And you play as you practice. They were setting themselves up for a bad week of practice. And playing a bad game on Sunday.

Gholston has it wrong. Next time don't take player protection. Next time after the 6pm-9pm charity event, go home, get a good night sleep and get up in the morning and workout and get ready for Sunday.

Doing this behavior (going at all night drinking) is fine in the off season, but no professional should be doing it during the season.

As Rex Ryan pointed out after the Patriots game, he wasn't surprised with the outcome of either game, because the Jets offense had a horrible week of practice before the Raven's game and a great week of practice before the Patriots game.

Pulling an all nighter drinking takes most people several days to a week to fully recover from. Not that he would miss practice, but the players would be dragging their asses in practice.

And you play as you practice. They were setting themselves up for a bad week of practice. And playing a bad game on Sunday.

Gholston has it wrong. Next time don't take player protection. Next time after the 6pm-9pm charity event, go home, get a good night sleep and get up in the morning and workout and get ready for Sunday.

Doing this behavior (going at all night drinking) is fine in the off season, but no professional should be doing it during the season.

agreed, but its unfair to the rest of the team to brand them all as a bunch of frat house guys.

It was D brick, gholston, and edwards, thats 3 out of the other 50 on the roster excluding the practice squad.

I don't see people branding the dolphins organization when 5 of their players got arrested two of them for violent crimes this off season and their NT is suspended for 8 games for substance abuse i think.

what they did was really really really dumb but it was the night before a day off, and I remember when I was at that age all I needed was some gatorade and sleep to recover

so

274318593v1_225x225_Front.jpg

agreed, but its unfair to the rest of the team to brand them all as a bunch of frat house guys.

It was D brick, gholston, and edwards, thats 3 out of the other 50 on the roster excluding the practice squad.

I don't see people branding the dolphins organization when 5 of their players got arrested two of them for violent crimes this off season and their NT is suspended for 8 games for substance abuse i think.

You are right it is only 3 out 53. But as with everything else there is a cumulative effect. The cheeseburgers by themselves doesn't mean the team undisciplined. This arrest by itself doesn't mean the team is undisciplined. But when you add everything together including the high number of penalties. A picture emerges that strongly suggest the team is unfocused and lacks consistent discipline.

As for the Dolphin legal problems. I believe they happened during the off-season. While I don't condone drunk driving at anytime of the year. I do see a difference between a football player staying out all night getting drunk in March and doing it in September. The former is pretty much outside the team control. The latter is something that the team should be demanding players not do. And suggests at least those three player don't give a sh*t if the Jets beat the Fins or not. If this is a regular activity by Gholoston it could explain why he sucks as player despite his physical abilities.

You are right it is only 3 out 53. But as with everything else there is a cumulative effect. The cheeseburgers by themselves doesn't mean the team undisciplined. This arrest by itself doesn't mean the team is undisciplined. But when you add everything together including the high number of penalties. A picture emerges that strongly suggest the team is unfocused and lacks consistent discipline.

As for the Dolphin legal problems. I believe they happened during the off-season. While I don't condone drunk driving at anytime of the year. I do see a difference between a football player staying out all night getting drunk in March and doing it in September. The former is pretty much outside the team control. The latter is something that the team should be demanding players not do. And suggests at least those three player don't give a sh*t if the Jets beat the Fins or not. If this is a regular activity by Gholoston it could explain why he sucks as player despite his physical abilities.

so what is your excuse for why these fat slobs kicked your ******* asses up and down the field ?

holy sh*t dude stfu

what they did was really really really dumb but it was the night before a day off, and I remember when I was at that age all I needed was some gatorade and sleep to recover

so

274318593v1_225x225_Front.jpg

I did it a few times in college. Everytime I was dragging my a$$ for a week. Even if I wasn't drinking, pulling an all-nighter sober, I would still be feeling drozy a few days later.

Not saying I was unable to function or anything, but I wasn't 100%.

I love Joe, but as long as the Jets don't bring their lack of discipline to the field of play and start missing assignments and racking up penalties, I could care less what they do off the field. I still don't like the way the Jets front office handled it with the whole CBA thing (only to turn tail when called out on it). The players can look like jackasses, not management.

I love Joe, but as long as the Jets don't bring their lack of discipline to the field of play and start missing assignments and racking up penalties, I could care less what they do off the field. I still don't like the way the Jets front office handled it with the whole CBA thing (only to turn tail when called out on it). The players can look like jackasses, not management.

Perhaps you missed game 1.

Are you really this naive... or do you just play a fat sobbing twat because that is what you think "Patriot Way" is?

"No professional should be doing it [drinking] during the season?"

Tell the truth... were you a hall monitor in high school? An RA in college?

I know air traffic controllers, surgeons, nurses and many other professionals that perform jobs/duties that have far more riding on them than football players do in their "jobs" :rolleyes:, and guess what? Even they go out for drinks when they have the next day off... the ONLY thing that these Jet players did wrong was Braylon driving drunk, and the other 2 dopes getting in the car with him.

They can't take back the bad decision, but they can certainly be proactive about not doing it again. But you keep trying to spin it as more of a "problem" than it is... if you think whining about an off-field indiscretion by a Jets player is going to help the Pats win games, good luck.

Are you crazy? If you go to bed drunk you'll be dragging an anchor the next day, but be fresh as a daisy the next.

Jeez, what dainty doilies you Pats fans are!

I did it a few times in college. Everytime I was dragging my a$$ for a week. Even if I wasn't drinking, pulling an all-nighter sober, I would still be feeling drozy a few days later.

Not saying I was unable to function or anything, but I wasn't 100%.

Holy crap dude, man up a bit. You were dragging your a$$ for a week after pulling an all-nighter sober in college? Seriously? I got maybe four hours sleep during finals week and I don't think I cried the whole first month of summer because of that. I highly doubt Braylon or Gholston are going to be feeling any effects of the beer they had on Monday.

Archived