Clemens was INACTIVE Monday night?

visajets

Is this true? Who would have played QB against the Dolphins in an emergency? Mark Brunell? Has Rex lost his mind?

Like it or not Brunell is the #2. So whether Clemens was active or not, anything short of Brunell throwing 4+ picks he'd be on the field the rest of the game anyway. If Brunell got hurt after Sanchez I think they still could have used Clemens as an emergency #3. Not 100% on that but I think so.

Like it or not Brunell is the #2. So whether Clemens was active or not, anything short of Brunell throwing 4+ picks he'd be on the field the rest of the game anyway. If Brunell got hurt after Sanchez I think they still could have used Clemens as an emergency #3.

Or Brad Smith.

On regular-season game days the team names its 45-man Active Roster which defines those players who may participate in the game. In addition, each team is allowed to name one of the remaining 8 players as its emergency backup QB--that player can only play QB and can only play in the event of injury to the team's #1 and #2 QBs.

You have seen Clemens play right ?

You did see that Brunell started to actully play well in the last preseason game once he had more of the offense down.

So whats your problem ? If something happened to Sanchez no matter who comes in will be on a a short rope and Clemens' rope will be a hell of alot shorter than Brunells due to terrible performances in games he played and lack of experience.

Brunell knows what hes doing and he can still throw the football so just relax. Either way, if Something happens to Sanchez, our SB hopes are probably gone anyway no matter who the backup.

You have seen Clemens play right ?

You did see that Brunell started to actully play well in the last preseason game once he had more of the offense down.

So whats your problem ? If something happened to Sanchez no matter who comes in will be on a a short rope and Clemens' rope will be a hell of alot shorter than Brunells due to terrible performances in games he played and lack of experience.

Brunell knows what hes doing and he can still throw the football so just relax. Either way, if Something happens to Sanchez, our SB hopes are probably gone anyway no matter who the backup.

I have no problem. I just asked a question... :angry:

On regular-season game days the team names its 45-man Active Roster which defines those players who may participate in the game. In addition, each team is allowed to name one of the remaining 8 players as its emergency backup QB--that player can only play QB and can only play in the event of injury to the team's #1 and #2 QBs.

Gotcha.

Thanks fellas!!!

Exactly. The player is considered "inactive", but can come in under those circumstances. The other catch here is if your inactive/emergency QB enters the game prior to the fourth quarter, neither of your first two QBs are allowed to reenter the game at any point.

Exactly. The player is considered "inactive", but can come in under those circumstances. The other catch here is if your inactive/emergency QB enters the game prior to the fourth quarter, neither of your first two QBs are allowed to reenter the game at any point.

Usually not a problem unless a HC makes his punter the #2 QB and then makes the true #2 and #3 QB's inactive. bag.gif

Is this true? Who would have played QB against the Dolphins in an emergency? Mark Brunell? Has Rex lost his mind?

SUNDAY NIGHT SORRY.

Basic NFL rules.

Clemens was the No. 3 QB as he was the first 2 games. The No. 3 QB is listed as "inactive" because he can only come in when both Sanchez (No. 1) and Brunell (No. 2) are out of the game, or it's the 4th quarter. The No. 3 QB is always listed as "inactive."

In any event, you and others answered your own question, Visa, so I don't understand what the issue is.

Basic NFL rules.

Clemens was the No. 3 QB as he was the first 2 games. The No. 3 QB is listed as "inactive" because he can only come in when both Sanchez (No. 1) and Brunell (No. 2) are out of the game, or it's the 4th quarter. The No. 3 QB is always listed as "inactive."

In any event, you and others answered your own question, Visa, so I don't understand what the issue is.

We are still a discussion board or did things change here in my absence? No issue. We figured it all out after the fact. No big deal but thanks for your thoughtful insight.

We are still a discussion board or did things change here in my absence? No issue. We figured it all out after the fact. No big deal but thanks for your thoughtful insight.

You're welcome! Any time. :D

I'm just wondering what the debate is because it was such a common practice.

I can't believe how many people on this thread don't understand the rules concerning a third QB. You can designate them as inactive, but are allowed to use them if you have injuries to your first two guys. If the third QB appears before the 4th quarter, the first two guys cannot return. After the 4th quarter, you can go back to one of the other two guys. It allows you to dress 46 for games and has been in place for years. Don't you remember when Parcells used to designate Tom Tupa as the backup in order to use another roster spot for a real player? If they ever got to where they needed Tupa for more than a snap or two, they would go to the third guy and go without a punter.

I can't believe how many people on this thread don't understand the rules concerning a third QB. You can designate them as inactive, but are allowed to use them if you have injuries to your first two guys. If the third QB appears before the 4th quarter, the first two guys cannot return. After the 4th quarter, you can go back to one of the other two guys. It allows you to dress 46 for games and has been in place for years. Don't you remember when Parcells used to designate Tom Tupa as the backup in order to use another roster spot for a real player? If they ever got to where they needed Tupa for more than a snap or two, they would go to the third guy and go without a punter.

How as Tupa designated inactive and allowed to play as the punter?

Like it or not Brunell is the #2. So whether Clemens was active or not, anything short of Brunell throwing 4+ picks he'd be on the field the rest of the game anyway. If Brunell got hurt after Sanchez I think they still could have used Clemens as an emergency #3. Not 100% on that but I think so.

That is correct, according to the " third quarterback rule" teams are allowed to insert a 3rd qb that is not on the game day active roster. If they use him before the 4th qtr they can no longer use the first two, and the second qb doesn't actually need to be injured for the 3rd to be allowed in.

Archived