The Three Teams Bill Cowher Wants To Coach Next Year Are...

SoFlaJets

Agreed, except Belichick wasn't average with Bledsoe, he was terrible with Bledsoe. He was 5-13 and had taken over a team that had gone 11-5 and won the division with Pete Carroll and went 5-11 his first year and then lost the first two games of the following year.

Mariucci was never the head coach with Montana.

Bledsoe is working in a coffee shop today for a reason. Slow and could not read defenses.

Carrol took over and won because of what Parcells had built in NE. Not because he is some NFL savant. Look how great Carrol is doing in Seattle. :lol:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bledsoe is working in a coffee shop today for a reason. Slow and could not read defenses.

Carrol took over and won because of what Parcells had built in NE. Not because he is some NFL savant. Look how great Carrol is doing in Seattle. :lol:

How do you know Bledsoe is working in a coffeeshop? Do you run the Patriots alumni newsletter or something? :blink:

So if Carroll took over and won because of what Parcells built in NE, why then did "genius boy" go 5-11 with the same team that Carroll went 11-5 with the year before?

I think Carroll is doing okay. Sad as they are, they are in first place. The team has one more win than last season already and two more than Holmgren's final season.

I think Carroll is doing okay. Sad as they are, they are in first place. The team has one more win than last season already and two more than Holmgren's final season.

I understand having division leaders being guaranteed a playoff spot, but it's pathetic to have an under .500 team in the playoffs over a team with a winning record.

How do you know Bledsoe is working in a coffeeshop? Do you run the Patriots alumni newsletter or something? :blink:

May I suggest some Decaf or Hot Chocolate?

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/Patriots_Alumni_News_Drew_Bledsoe_Coffee_Roaster/196981

So if Carroll took over and won because of what Parcells built in NE, why then did "genius boy" go 5-11 with the same team that Carroll went 11-5 with the year before?

Something called age and a change in scheme.

He actually owns a vineyard and lives in Oregon. Coffee...wine.....both dark liquids?

Anyway, Belichick took over a team that was on the downturn BECAUSE of Carroll. It is pretty common knowledge that in 2001 BB was very impressed with Brady and wanted to pull the trigger BEFORE Mo Lewis' hit....but it's hard to when Bledsoe was the "franchise" QB and Bob Krafts' binky. Now look who Krafts binky is. Love is fleeting....

Age caught up with them in one offseason and caused the team to win less than half the games they did the year before? :blink:

That's bad coaching.

Bad coaching or hideous personnel? The Carroll/Grier combo did a horrific job in that regard.

He actually owns a vineyard and lives in Oregon. Coffee...wine.....both dark liquids?

Anyway, Belichick took over a team that was on the downturn BECAUSE of Carroll. It is pretty common knowledge that in 2001 BB was very impressed with Brady and wanted to pull the trigger BEFORE Mo Lewis' hit....but it's hard to when Bledsoe was the "franchise" QB and Bob Krafts' binky. Now look who Krafts binky is. Love is fleeting....

I love how this became "common knowledge" only after Brady won three SBs. :rolleyes:

The typical New Englander's overwhelming need to make Belichick out to be some kind of wunderkind is friggin' hilarious.

Belichick is no better than any other coach whose career is inextricably linked to a great QB. He tripped over a skinny kid in the sixth round. Just be grateful for BB's dumb luck. If Belichick really believed Brady was going to be a great one he would never have risked letting him sit out there for five + rounds in the draft. Stop trying to make BB out to be something he is not and has proven by his performance without Brady.

Belichick with Brady = Genius. :rolleyes:

Belichick without Brady = Just another losing coach.

I think the Giants make the most sense. This is a guy who spent 15 years in Pittsburgh, I think that sort of history is important to him. If he's really serious about coaching, I think that's where he'll look to go. With Coughlin entering his final season, it'll be easy for the Giants to let him go after the season, too. Especially if they fail to make the playoffs.

There's no history in Houston, but at least there's some talent to work with.

I honestly think that if he goes to Miami, it'll be to cash in and retire in place without paying state income tax (read: Parcells, Bill). It's the worst team of the three, in a very difficult division.

I think the Giants make the most sense. This is a guy who spent 15 years in Pittsburgh, I think that sort of history is important to him. If he's really serious about coaching, I think that's where he'll look to go. With Coughlin entering his final season, it'll be easy for the Giants to let him go after the season, too. Especially if they fail to make the playoffs.

There's no history in Houston, but at least there's some talent to work with.

I honestly think that if he goes to Miami, it'll be to cash in and retire in place without paying state income tax (read: Parcells, Bill). It's the worst team of the three, in a very difficult division.

Doesn't Texas have no tax either?

Bad coaching or hideous personnel? The Carroll/Grier combo did a horrific job in that regard.

1999 Pats with Carroll = 11 wins and division title.

2000 Pats with mostly the same personnel with Belichick = 5 win cellar dweller.

There's no argument in BB's favor here.

If you claim it was personnel then how did Carroll get them to win 11 games while BB lost 11? That's either bad coaching on BB's part or phenomenal coaching by Carroll.

If you are claiming that Carroll sucked at picking personnel then how bad was Belichick because the personnel changes he made in one offseason resulted in 6 fewer wins.

Tripping over Brady in the sixth round and Mo Lewis made Belichick's career. Just be grateful for it.

The Giants collapse every year. It's like death and taxes. Ever since Coughlin and Eli got there.

2004 They are 5-2 and end up 6-10. Including an 8 game losing streak.

2005 Nice season they are shut out in the first round by the Panthers.

2006 They are 6-2 and end up 8-8. Lose in the 1st round

2007 They are 6-2 and end up 10-6. Humiliated by Vikings. Catch fire and win the super bowl.

2008 They are 11-1 and end up 12-4. One win is an OT game against the Panthers. Lose in 1st round

2009 They are 5-0 and finish out 8-8. One win in OT, back to back humiliated over 40- under 10 defeats to end the season.

2010 Complete loss of composure against the Titans. Jacobs ready to quit. Throws his helmet into the stands.

This is typical. The Giants generally rally around the time that Coughlin loses the team. It's beyond belief, but you guys would never have given him the amount of rope he's gotten over there. He's easily lost the team worse than Pete Carroll did with the Jets. On about 5 different occasions.

The Jets collapse too. Maybe Giants Stadium just sucks and isn't really a home field advantage at all. They should have put in a dome because despite every apologist's claims that a crappy stadium is an advantage all the empirical evidence points to a crappy stadium being a disadvantage. These teams play sloppy bad football at home because that's what they're used to and then sloppy bad football on the road too because that's what they're used to at home. Meanwhile the actual home field advantage teams with better conditions play well at home and win there, then play sloppy football at Giants stadium and have an equal shot of winning, so they wind up winning more games overall and getting home playoff games so they don't even have to go to the crappy Giants Stadium anyway.

If the Jets and Giants had a better home stadium maybe they'd each have 2 more wins now.

If you claim it was personnel then how did Carroll get them to win 11 games while BB lost 11? That's either bad coaching on BB's part or phenomenal coaching by Carroll.

If you are claiming that Carroll sucked at picking personnel then how bad was Belichick because the personnel changes he made in one offseason resulted in 6 fewer wins.

Tripping over Brady in the sixth round and Mo Lewis made Belichick's career. Just be grateful for it.

The blend of vets he brought in along with some good rookies, and installing his "system" and lockeroom were paramount. Although it should take time....the turn around happened pretty quickly. Caroll took a team just off the SB...and it became progressively worse with every season. The 1999 season had them with 8 wins. Could be why his was FIRED! You know - taking a good team and effing it up.... :rolleyes:

BB had five wins the year after - after getting rid of some sh*t - attitude and personnel.

Do you ever get sick of being wrong, Zippy?

Yeah. Why would anyone assume Esiason, who works with Cowher, has better information than you do?

I guess for the same reason Mike Francessa thought he would have better information about Bill Parcells when he said in December 1996 and January 1997 that, in no uncertain terms, Bill Parcells was not leaving the Pats and coming to coach the Jets. It just wasn't going to happen. It couldn't possibly be happening because his close friend Bill Parcells hadn't said anything to him.

If you want a story to leak and still have the ability to deny it, you don't tell your friend who has a daily radio show.

I understand having division leaders being guaranteed a playoff spot, but it's pathetic to have an under .500 team in the playoffs over a team with a winning record.

I agree completely. When I say Carroll is doing okay, it isn't because he's in the hunt to win the division while below .500. It's beccause he is in his rebuilding year and is already improving on the past two seasons.

Agreed, except Belichick wasn't average with Bledsoe, he was terrible with Bledsoe. He was 5-13 and had taken over a team that had gone 11-5 and won the division with Pete Carroll and went 5-11 his first year and then lost the first two games of the following year.

Mariucci was never the head coach with Montana.

There are many things wrong with your statement:

1). Pete Carroll took over the Pats in 1997. The Pats were 11-5 and made the Super Bowl in 1996.

2). Pete proceed to go 10-6 (1997), 9-7 (1998) & 8-8 (1999).

3). Bill Belichick gutted the roster in 2000 and again in 2001 and won the Super Bowl.

4). Matt Cassell lead the Patriots to an 11-5 record in 2008.

Age caught up with them in one offseason and caused the team to win less than half the games they did the year before? :blink:

That's bad coaching.

Bruce Armstrong, Max Lane, Chris Slade, Vincent Brisby - all starters on the down side. Belichick changed the defense from what Carrol was doing.

FAIL

Theres no argument in your favor either. What a great fall from 8 - 8 to 5 - 11 :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_New_England_Patriots_season

Here's the bottom line...the re-tread theory on former SB winning coaches is this (which should be the mantra for any guy looking to land an NFL HC gig)...1) Pay me and pay me $$$$$ 2) Have a quality QB not one you have to develop 3) Look at the division and determine if you can handle the other 3 teams 6 games a season. If you don't get two of the 3 then take a pass.

So look at this theory:

G-Men

1) They will pay him

2) Eli is at the very least a top 5 NFC QB

3) Aside from the Eagles does it look like the Cowboys or Redskins are going to have an ephiphany any time soon?

Phins

1) They will pay him

2) Ahh do we need to really answer this question...hahaha

3) Same here...you think the Pats or Jets are going in the tank...and the Bills are looking better.

Texans or cowboys light

1) They will pay him

2) Matty's no slouch

3) Is Indy on the back 9 with Peyton...how about the Jags and God knows what's up in Titan Land.

My gut tells me that he is more at home in the AFC and there is more to work with in cowboys light land than putting it all on the G-Men and the lime light that is NY.

Guest Jpf4671

But does it really matter? They are always competitive and he brought them a Championship.

I agree with this, i hate the giants as much as anyone on this board, but cower is no huge upgrade over coughlin, an upgrade maybe but not as big as the media will try and sell it

The Jets collapse too. Maybe Giants Stadium just sucks and isn't really a home field advantage at all. They should have put in a dome because despite every apologist's claims that a crappy stadium is an advantage all the empirical evidence points to a crappy stadium being a disadvantage. These teams play sloppy bad football at home because that's what they're used to and then sloppy bad football on the road too because that's what they're used to at home. Meanwhile the actual home field advantage teams with better conditions play well at home and win there, then play sloppy football at Giants stadium and have an equal shot of winning, so they wind up winning more games overall and getting home playoff games so they don't even have to go to the crappy Giants Stadium anyway.

If the Jets and Giants had a better home stadium maybe they'd each have 2 more wins now.

That is a weird and huge leap taken just to get on the lack of dome.

Domes are of the gay.

FAIL

Theres no argument in your favor either. What a great fall from 8 - 8 to 5 - 11 :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_New_England_Patriots_season

You know what's really funny about this? I was wrong. Doesn't bother me to admit it. I'm a Jets fan and no expert on the Pats history nor do I claim to be.

What's really funny about this is that it took almost four hours and a google search for you to refute my claims and you're supposed to be a Pats fan. Could it be that you had no clue whether I was right or wrong because you never even heard of the Pats prior to January 2002?

Hmmmmm.

has cowher issued an apology/denial yet ?

talking about a job that isn't open is a big NO-NO

if I'm an owner, I scratch him off my list for that

if I want an expensive primma donna retread with a ring, I'll call gruden

I don't think that he has confirmed or denied these rumors because they are nothing new. The story about the Giants has been kicking around for almost a year and he refuted it then. Bettis started it. Then he had to admit that he hadn't spoken to Cowher in two (2) years! He has been throught this rodeo before and may well have found that the best way to get it to die is to refuse comment.

Bill Cowher can see himself coaching once again. He just doesn’t know where. And he doesn’t know when.

Despite what Jerome Bettis has said.

Bettis, who was Cowher’s running back from 1996 through the Steelers’ Super Bowl season in 2005, said recently he believes Cowher is holding out for the Giants’ job that currently belongs to Tom Coughlin and is waiting for that spot to open before returning to the NFL as a coach.

Tuesday, during a press conference for CBS in advance of the network’s televising Super Bowl XLIV this Sunday, Cowher said Bettis was simply throwing darts with his comments.

“That’s Jerome,” Cowher said. “It’s like us (the CBS analysts) up here. We say things to throw it out there and who knows? I haven’t talked to Jerome in two years.”

But Cowher, who previously told the Daily News Bettis doesn't speak for him, has had plenty of conversations with Coughlin.

“I know Tom; I was with him in Iraq (during a visit last summer),” Cowher said. “I mean, as long as I’m up here, as long as I continue to say I’m going to be open-minded, every year, that’s going to be out there.

“But I have tremendous respect for Tom Coughlin, I have tremendous respect for all the coaches. I understand how hard it is.”

It’s hard, but it’s also a job he loves. And he’d consider returning to it someday on his own terms.

“You know what, if the right situation came along, I would entertain going back to coaching,” Cowher said. “I don’t know what it would be. I have a good job here. There’s no set criteria. I’ll know what it is.”

Cowher to Giants

Starting three weeks ago, there were reports that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher has the Texans on his list of potential teams he’d like to coach. Cowher hasn’t confirmed or denied it publicly.
Cowher to Texans?

I agree with this, i hate the giants as much as anyone on this board, but cower is no huge upgrade over coughlin, an upgrade maybe but not as big as the media will try and sell it

To be honest, I find Coughlin's career to much more impressive than Cowher. The guy turned around Boston College, had a huge upset win vs. Notre Dame and then became the most successful HC of an expansion team ever. He took the Jacksonville Jaguars of all teams to a couple AFCG and those teams were really good. #1 offense, #1 defense...just made those teams great.

Then took over a 4-12 Giants team he eventually turned into a SB champion beating what many thought was the greatest team ever preventing them from having an undefeated season.

Cowher took of the the Chuck Noll coached Steelers, landed them in the world of mediocrity for a decade, only to 12 years later win a SB when all the stars aligned.

If I'm Miami I do whatever I can to see if I can steal Kyle Orton away from Denver since they seem to be enamoured with Tim Tebow.

Why? Because you want them to continue to suck? Sing me up!!!

To be honest, I find Coughlin's career to much more impressive than Cowher. The guy turned around Boston College, had a huge upset win vs. Notre Dame and then became the most successful HC of an expansion team ever. He took the Jacksonville Jaguars of all teams to a couple AFCG and those teams were really good. #1 offense, #1 defense...just made those teams great.

Then took over a 4-12 Giants team he eventually turned into a SB champion beating what many thought was the greatest team ever preventing them from having an undefeated season.

Cowher took of the the Chuck Noll coached Steelers, landed them in the world of mediocrity for a decade, only to 12 years later win a SB when all the stars aligned.

Exactly. For the life of me can't understand the fascination with Cowher. Maybe it's the strong jawline?

Exactly. For the life of me can't understand the fascination with Cowher. Maybe it's the strong jawline?

I think its because he spit in players faces when he talked and his jaw made him look tough. It kind of matched the personality of the Steelers.

In reality, he was an underachiever with great teams. You give a coach that much time to win while he's with a organization dedicated to winning...its bound to happen eventually. Doesnt help his case that Tomlin won a SB 2 years after he retired either.

I think its because he spit in players faces when he talked and his jaw made him look tough. It kind of matched the personality of the Steelers.

In reality, he was an underachiever with great teams. You give a coach that much time to win while he's with a organization dedicated to winning...its bound to happen eventually. Doesnt help his case that Tomlin won a SB 2 years after he retired either.

He's like the "The Coach Time Forgot", nowadays a head coach gets maybe 3-5 seasons before being replaced without winning consistently. Not sure how well they did in the beginning of his tenure but I'm pretty sure the real winning started when Big Ben and Troy showed up.

I still hear it hear on DC sports radio how the Skin Fans want Shanny gone and want Cowher. Another ten years of mediocrity? Cowher is like any coach he needs good player to win. Except one but **** him.

You think all of this because you are crazy or have a poor memory. I don't like Cowher. I have gone on record as stating I'd rather root for coaches I like (Rex Ryan)than those I don't (Big Bill and Little Bill). OTOH, Cowher has a career record of 150-90. He has 3 losing seasons (and one 8-8) in 15 years of coaching and never had a record worse than 6-10. He has had double digit winning seasons with Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomzak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox and Big Rape. No worries about his ability being linked to the QB.

Coughlin is a quality coach, but has shown signs of losing teams on several occasions. Helmet throwing, players only meetings, long losing streaks. He did a great job early on with the Jags, but he lost that team and had three straight losing seasons before they let him go. As the Giants coach he has fallen apart at the end of almost every season. He also has an excellent record, but it's nothing like Cowher's. They have coached the same number of seasons and Cowher has some 17 more wins and six more playoff games.

You think all of this because you are crazy or have a poor memory. I don't like Cowher. I have gone on record as stating I'd rather root for coaches I like (Rex Ryan)than those I don't (Big Bill and Little Bill). OTOH, Cowher has a career record of 150-90. He has 3 losing seasons (and one 8-8) in 15 years of coaching and never had a record worse than 6-10. He has had double digit winning seasons with Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomzak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox and Big Rape. No worries about his ability being linked to the QB.

Coughlin is a quality coach, but has shown signs of losing teams on several occasions. Helmet throwing, players only meetings, long losing streaks. He did a great job early on with the Jags, but he lost that team and had three straight losing seasons before they let him go. As the Giants coach he has fallen apart at the end of almost every season. He also has an excellent record, but it's nothing like Cowher's. They have coached the same number of seasons and Cowher has some 17 more wins and six more playoff games.

Good post. didn;t realize that. but at the same time just doesn;t seem like coaches get that kind of time any more. I guess that's my perspective rooting for the jet's and living in DC. The Skins and The Jets can wear out some damn coaches. Well done Dom.

Good post. didn;t realize that. but at the same time just doesn;t seem like coaches get that kind of time any more. I guess that's my perspective rooting for the jet's and living in DC. The Skins and The Jets can wear out some damn coaches. Well done Dom.

That's just pro football reference. One thing for Jacksonville. They give a guy some rope. How long has Del Rio been over there? If he were here there would polls and petitions non-stop. The Giants and Steelers traditionally have solid ownership that puts good football people in place and sticks with them. That's opposed to the Jets passing over Walt Michaels, Buddy Ryan and whatever other talent was out there for Weeb's son in law Charley Winner. In reality, Winner was around football forever and had been a defensive assistant and coach with the Colts and 'Skins and was a head coach with a winning record in St Louis, but still...

Archived