Gholston is amazing

lancemehl

How do you go three full seasons without making a play?

The dude only needed one sack, one fumble or 20% playing time to trigger 9 million bucks per his contract and he can't swing it!!! lol

The Jets would have to pick it up though, so it's safe to say he will be a FA next season.

That deal is almost a joke in Gholston's face. Will anyone sign him next year?? LOL He has a highlight real consisting of about 20 tackles most of them assists. Haha.......and he's on special teams!

#6 overall. Is it time for him to join the club? Where does he rank? I would squeeze him between Johnny Mitchell and Blair Thomas, in that order. lmao

is there a link with this information...I have read it here before, but never saw anything backing it up...I tried explaining this to someone but had 0 proof to back me up

I had to google that just to make sure. How the f*** IS Lawyer Milloy still in the league?

Still in the league AND starting. He might very well be starting on the 2010 Jets if he were here today. (I'll be honest I haven"t focused on Milloy in the few Seattle games I've caught. At this stage of his career he may be awful and worse than a bad day of Eric Smith for all I know.)

Before I go into my rant about why I hate Blair Thomas, let me state that 16 of those TDs came from Mitchell. My problem with Thomases (Blair and Bryan over Mitchell and Gholston) came from need. The team did not need those guys. They had McNeil and Hector when they drafted Blair and they had Abraham and Ellis when the drafted Bryan. At least Gholston was trying to fill a need. He didn't, but even if Blair or Bryan were good they didn't deserve to start. They weren't.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Blair thomas. hofstra university, training camp. I was there to see him, I was very excited. when I first saw him, I had to double check the program and make sure I was looking a tthe right guy

he was tiny

no muscle definition, no burst, no moves, just small

oy

I'll never forget the first time I saw Blair thomas. hofstra university, training camp. I was there to see him, I was very excited. when I first saw him, I had to double check the program and make sure I was looking a tthe right guy

he was tiny

oy

Classic example of a great college player that just couldn't cut it in the NFL for whatevefr reason. He was highly touted coming out, and the Jets didn't reach for him so I can't fault them there. I still maintain that Blairs career ended with that fumble against the Bears on MNF. He was never the same player after that.

he was tiny

oy

Classic example of a great college player that just couldn't cut it in the NFL for whatevefr reason. He was highly touted coming out, and the Jets didn't reach for him so I can't fault them there. I still maintain that Blairs career ended with that fumble against the Bears on MNF. He was never the same player after that.

When I think of Blair Thomas I can only quote my childhood hero, Oscar Madison: "I HATE!"

A buddy of mine here (another coach) played with him at Penn St. He told me and I had to bite my tongue. Guy is Harry Hamilton's cousin, so he's cool with us.

I hated Blair's running style. He kind of shifted all his weight from one foot to the other. His weight always seemed to move right to left instead of forward. I actually preferred Richie Anderson's style in college and knew he'd be a great pick. I can still here Joe Walton saying that Blair would "hit the hole that split second faster" than McNeil and therefore the Jets O would be revoltionized. I can also still here my father, who loved McNeil and like me wanted defense (I liked Kennedy or McCants he wanted Seau), saying: "Listen to this ******* moron!"

Why do people still believe this? Why did they ever believe it in the first place?

No idea. I was actually the person who "broke" the story, but just in terms of knowing he renegotiated, I didnt have any particulars on the deal. My guess was he got money fronted to him to take advantage of the cap free year, but I wasnt able to confirm it. About a week or so later Cimini (with Sheffters name attached- I think this is now standard ESPN fare whenever a contract talk is involved that his name has to be put on it as a co-author) "broke the story" which was so wrong it wasnt even funny. Even with the little info I had I knew it was false because Cimini wrote that he took a paycut this season which I knew was 100% wrong. He got a raise and that was easy to confirm. A day or two later Jason LaCanfora finally put out the real details of the deal.

The real story, once you dug into the deal, was the Jets basically have him a small raise over his "actual guarantee (all 5 years of his base salary)" but eliminated some of the money that was tied into easily attainable bonuses that were reported as "guaranteed". The reason they did it was because if he ever attained those escalators and PTIs they were all guaranteed to him and the Jets would be on the hook for at least another 4 million. The Jets wanted to give him a fair shake and fair evaluation but they could never do it with that guarantee "if earned" looming over their heads. So they put in the crazy funny money bonuses (9.1M this year for a sack, PTI, etc.. and I think something liek 8 million the next year for the same) just to ensure the Jets renegotiate next season if he played well or cut him next year so he can try to get a job with a new team in a different scheme.

See my post to Sperm. Its not true. Was never true. The author got bad information and didnt verify Im assuming because he wanted to make sure he was the first to have it out.

True. It is just some guy's blog I got from Google.

Oh well, either way Gholston pretty much sucks. He's useful, but in the way that he should be making league minimum rather than the multi millions he actually is making.

I still hold out the sad hope that he does something this season.

See my post to Sperm. Its not true. Was never true. The author got bad information and didnt verify Im assuming because he wanted to make sure he was the first to have it out.

True. It is just some guy's blog I got from Google.

Oh well, either way Gholston pretty much sucks. He's useful, but in the way that he should be making league minimum rather than the multi millions he actually is making.

We would all love him if he was a 5th round pick or an non drafted kid trying to make it in the NFL and performed at the level which he has. I am still pulling for the kid and want to see him do well.

We would all love him if he was a 5th round pick or an non drafted kid trying to make it in the NFL and performed at the level which he has.

I don't think so. Joe McKnight was a 4th rounder who's contributing more than Gholston, and he's still facing hate.

If Gholston was an UDFA, maybe there'd be some Westerman-style love for him, or something. But that's about it. He's been a colossal bust.

He would have been cut a long time ago.

Could be. Maybe bounced back and forth off the practice squad, or performing well in NE. Who knows?

I think the Jets have invested enough time and energy in him that when he finally gets cut over the winter, his NFL career will also be done. I can't see another team bothering with him.

Could be. Maybe bounced back and forth off the practice squad, or performing well in NE. Who knows?

I think the Jets have invested enough time and energy in him that when he finally gets cut over the winter, his NFL career will also be done. I can't see another team bothering with him.

I could see a team that plays the 4-3 offering him the min salary and letting him compete in camp for roster spot. I am not sure if Vern would be willing to be that humbled, if he has a lick of sense he figured out early on he has had his one pay day, has stuck the money in an annuity and can live comfortably for the rest of his life.

I could see a team that plays the 4-3 offering him the min salary and letting him compete in camp for roster spot. I am not sure if Vern would be willing to be that humbled, if he has a lick of sense he figured out early on he has had his one pay day, has stuck the money in an annuity and can live comfortably for the rest of his life.

I actually really hope so for his sake. He's been just as invisible off the field as he has been on it, so there's not a lot of reason to think he's out there spending foolishly. He has the freedom to do whatever he wants with the rest of his life.

I'm sure that Gholston will stay in the league when his Jets contract is up. I'm not sure about after that. He hasn't done much, but he works hard and appears coachable. It's difficult to tell what value the team is getting from him. He plays specials and is the 3rd DE and 4th OLB. He's probably a bad fit for the system, certainly for Mangini's. I no longer hold out any real hope that a light bulb will pop on, but as somebody else said, the guy may end up with a Gallery type career.

Remember the way the board salivates over the pool jumper and he was probably a bigger bust production-wise.

I'm sure that Gholston will stay in the league when his Jets contract is up. I'm not sure about after that. He hasn't done much, but he works hard and appears coachable. It's difficult to tell what value the team is getting from him. He plays specials and is the 3rd DE and 4th OLB. He's probably a bad fit for the system, certainly for Mangini's. I no longer hold out any real hope that a light bulb will pop on, but as somebody else said, the guy may end up with a Gallery type career.

Remember the way the board salivates over the pool jumper and he was probably a bigger bust production-wise.

Haha. That stunt had me sold also. Didn't even care if he didn't know what a football was, it was that effective. Can't remember his name now. I think Cleveland picked him up back then but I'm not sure.

Even still, no one was advocating the pool jumper for 6th overall in the country.

Haha. That stunt had me sold also. Didn't even care if he didn't know what a football was, it was that effective. Can't remember his name now. I think Cleveland picked him up back then but I'm not sure.

Even still, no one was advocating the pool jumper for 6th overall in the country.

You're joking right? The pool jumper is on the Jets, he's been bouncing back and forth from the practice squad. That's why I said he hasn't been any more effective than Gholston. If he'd been #6 he'd be as big or bigger bust than Gholston.

You're joking right? The pool jumper is on the Jets, he's been bouncing back and forth from the practice squad. That's why I said he hasn't been any more effective than Gholston. If he'd been #6 he'd be as big or bigger bust than Gholston.

Oh wait - I'm thinking of the backflip guy, not Gilbert. Think he came out in 2007 but I really can't remember at this point.

...just looked it up. Louis Leonard is who I was thinking of.

...just looking stuff up further, he's on NE now (or was, anyway).

Has anyone mentioned Johnnie "Lam" Jones? Another 1st Rd bust. He might be worse than Gholston. A great college WR who seemed scared to death of playing in the NFL. Always hurt (or at least made believe he was)....

Strange thing about Lam Jones with the Jets is that he jumped every time he caught the ball. Watch the clips. I guess maybe it was like Randall Cunningham jumping before he would get hit. Cunningham felt he wouldn't get hurt if his legs weren't on the ground - it lessened the impact and his knees or ankles wouldn't twist.

Archived