Chargers are rooting for the Jets

GodWearsAGrayHoodie

Cimini mentioned it last night on Twitter:

RichCimini Rich Cimini If #Jets advance to divisionals, conditional 3rd rnd pick ('11) for Antonio Cromartie goes up to 2nd rnd, per source. SD rooting for Jets.

Not a reason to lose against Indy, but if this is true it might be a decent consolation prize.

Cimini mentioned it last night on Twitter:

RichCimini Rich Cimini If #Jets advance to divisionals, conditional 3rd rnd pick ('11) for Antonio Cromartie goes up to 2nd rnd, per source. SD rooting for Jets.

Not a reason to lose against Indy, but if this is true it might be a decent consolation prize.

If it really is true, if they end up having to give a 2nd round pick, it's that much more incentive to keep him around. My guess is as long as the Jets can lock up at least one of the WRs long term, Cromartie gets slapped with the tag.

I'm not sure if I buy that one. Just seems like such a peculiar condition for a cornerback of all positions. Unless it's in conjunction with a bunch of other conditions he's already reached, it just doesn't make any sense.

I tend to think you are right, it wasn't the only condition. Something like "Jets make it to the divisional round plus 50% of the snaps in the regular season" And whatever the plus is has already been met. Sorta like the way the Favre deal was structured.

But it is possible it sole reason was to shift the range of the pick.

If the trade is for a second round pick straight up, than the range is 33-64.

If the trade is for a third round pick straight up, than the range is 65-96.

If no other conditions exist this puts the pick in the 57-88 range.

If it really is true, if they end up having to give a 2nd round pick, it's that much more incentive to keep him around. My guess is as long as the Jets can lock up at least one of the WRs long term, Cromartie gets slapped with the tag.

He's definitely the guy we tag if he's going to cost a 2nd round pick.

I tend to think you are right, it wasn't the only condition. Something like "Jets make it to the divisional round plus 50% of the snaps in the regular season" And whatever the plus is has already been met. Sorta like the way the Favre deal was structured.

But it is possible it sole reason was to shift the range of the pick.

If the trade is for a second round pick straight up, than the range is 33-64.

If the trade is for a third round pick straight up, than the range is 65-96.

If no other conditions exist this puts the pick in the 57-88 range.

Hadn't thought about that. That definitely makes a little more sense, particularly with how the NFL changed the draft pick structure a couple of years ago for playoff teams. If you assume there's some sort of other condition involved, it allows the Chargers to potentially recoup greater value in the trade, but also protects the Jets in limiting how high the pick could go.

He's definitely the guy we tag if he's going to cost a 2nd round pick.

Kinda of silly analysis. You use the tag on the player who represents the most important retention for the team. Who cares if Cro cost you a 2nd round pick, 1st round pick or was picked up off a waivers. The pick was spent. The only question should be: Does Cro's contribution to the team warrant the tag and is it the best use of the tag?

Kinda of silly analysis. You use the tag on the player who represents the most important retention for the team. Who cares if Cro cost you a 2nd round pick, 1st round pick or was picked up off a waivers. The pick was spent. The only question should be: Does Cro's contribution to the team warrant the tag and is it the best use of the tag?

If Wilson didnt suck, than no, he wouldnt warrant it...but we dont have anything past Revis that can make you feel comfortable. Cro was outstanding in Revis's absence...the Jets would have been F'ed without him.

And I just disagree. A 2nd round pick is a high pick, you dont just give that away for one season of play. Especially if all it nets you is Wild Card round win. Besides, who else would you tag?

Well I think he's a serious consideration for it no matter what, the second round pick you're giving up for him only drives it home a little further. Of the potential big FAs the Jets have (Harris, Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie), he's likely the one seeking the biggest contract and would be the toughest to lock up, while also arguably playing the most difficult position to replace amongst them. If you consider the fact that I would say it's pretty likely the Jets sign at least one of the WRs long term (they've already begun negotiations with both, and there have been reports Edwards is willing to stay with the Jets on a discount), I think Cromartie probably makes the most sense anyway. I think they'll lock Harris up either way, but even if not, as much as I love Harris, there's no doubt he'd be easier to replace than Cromartie.

If Wilson didnt suck, than no, he wouldnt warrant it...but we dont have anything past Revis that can make you feel comfortable. Cro was outstanding in Revis's absence...the Jets would have been F'ed without him.

And I just disagree. A 2nd round pick is a high pick, you dont just give that away for one season of play. Especially if all it nets you is Wild Card round win. Besides, who else would you tag?

I am not saying to not tag Cro or that someone else on the team is worth the tag more.

I am just saying that the whether you used a first round pick or go him off of waivers should not be part of the analysis on whether he is worth using the tag on. What value he brings to the team and what your alternatives are if you don't retain him should be the analysis. That may or may not result in him being worth tagging. But tagging him to justify the trade is just stupid.

Well I think he's a serious consideration for it no matter what, the second round pick you're giving up for him only drives it home a little further. Of the potential big FAs the Jets have (Harris, Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie), he's likely the one seeking the biggest contract and would be the toughest to lock up, while also arguably playing the most difficult position to replace amongst them. If you consider the fact that I would say it's pretty likely the Jets sign at least one of the WRs long term (they've already begun negotiations with both, and there have been reports Edwards is willing to stay with the Jets on a discount), I think Cromartie probably makes the most sense anyway. I think they'll lock Harris up either way, but even if not, as much as I love Harris, there's no doubt he'd be easier to replace than Cromartie.

Really hope this is true. I know Holmes has been great but I would hate to see Braylon go!

Really hope this is true. I know Holmes has been great but I would hate to see Braylon go!

Absolutely agree, while I'd love to keep both, I'm definitely a bigger Braylon fan of the two. He's had a hell of a year, his drop issues were nearly non-existent this year and you have to love having a big WR who can get deep. And maybe it's just coincidence, but this offense sure seems to move a whole hell of a lot better when Braylon's more heavily involved. If he's willing to take a discount like has been reported, that makes it that much better. I know he was just so thrilled to be out of Cleveland and has been very happy with the Jets, lets just hope he still feels that way come contract time.

Absolutely agree, while I'd love to keep both, I'm definitely a bigger Braylon fan of the two. He's had a hell of a year, his drop issues were nearly non-existent this year and you have to love having a big WR who can get deep. And maybe it's just coincidence, but this offense sure seems to move a whole hell of a lot better when Braylon's more heavily involved. If he's willing to take a discount like has been reported, that makes it that much better. I know he was just so thrilled to be out of Cleveland and has been very happy with the Jets, lets just hope he still feels that way come contract time.

The dude likes to hit too. You need that kind of receiver if you're going to run as much as we do.

This offense is WAY better when they use Braylon more. I feel like they got away from that for a few games and it hurt the offense, hes a great deep threat, he blocks, and he doesnt give up on routes and his hands have been amazing this year, especially against steelers. I really hope we keep both because another offseason for Sanchez to practice with them and they'll continue to grow. If I had to choose though, its Braylon hands down. Plus once Mark can get the fade pass going (which is a hard pass for a QB to make), Braylon will be a beast in the red zone.

Definitely a good point, he's a hell of a blocker.

I can't remember if it was McKnight or Brad Smith, but it was a sweep to the right and Braylon LEVELED the CB out of bounds which ended up springing the run. Santonio will block, but Braylon is definitely more physical. I'd love to have both. I can make arguments for and against each one of them equally.

I can't remember if it was McKnight or Brad Smith, but it was a sweep to the right and Braylon LEVELED the CB out of bounds which ended up springing the run. Santonio will block, but Braylon is definitely more physical. I'd love to have both. I can make arguments for and against each one of them equally.

Yeah, that was the option play that Smith ran for like 40 yards. That was a ridiculous hit Braylon put on the guy.

I am not saying to not tag Cro or that someone else on the team is worth the tag more.

I am just saying that the whether you used a first round pick or go him off of waivers should not be part of the analysis on whether he is worth using the tag on. What value he brings to the team and what your alternatives are if you don't retain him should be the analysis. That may or may not result in him being worth tagging. But tagging him to justify the trade is just stupid.

I'd agree, if he was worthless and there was someone else that you might consider tagging...which I really dont see right now.

+ 1. If I have to chose, I'd take Braylon. But I really want to keep both.

I'd agree, if he was worthless and there was someone else that you might consider tagging...which I really dont see right now.

+ 1. If I have to chose, I'd take Braylon. But I really want to keep both.

Another reason I'd love to see them keep both is if you watch them play it seems like the genuinely enjoy playing together and want eachother to do well. When one of them scores a TD the other is right there celebrating as well which i feel like is rare amoung big name WR's. Even at the game Sunday they kept showing them on the sidelines joking around and stuff.

Another reason I'd love to see them keep both is if you watch them play it seems like the genuinely enjoy playing together and want eachother to do well. When one of them scores a TD the other is right there celebrating as well which i feel like is rare amoung big name WR's. Even at the game Sunday they kept showing them on the sidelines joking around and stuff.

Definitely. Holmes has shown all season long that he's a great teammate.

And when I saw the Mic'd up game against the Steelers and saw Braylon screaming at Rex to go for it on 4th when Sanchez scored on the naked bootleg...I fell in love. Dude was fired up running to the sideline.

"Dont second guess yourself coach, role with it"

Hadn't thought about that. That definitely makes a little more sense, particularly with how the NFL changed the draft pick structure a couple of years ago for playoff teams. If you assume there's some sort of other condition involved, it allows the Chargers to potentially recoup greater value in the trade, but also protects the Jets in limiting how high the pick could go.

The trade had a playing time condition IIRC.

Cro has essentially played every defensive snap for 15 games so he easily met that.

As to Braylon vs. Santonio, I've said it from day 1 and I still believe it today: If the Jets can only re-sign 1 then it has to be Braylon.

Santonio is the better WR, but Braylon's production + ability + size/speed ratio trumps that. I'm hoping to keep both, but I'm also hoping for a hometown discount from one of them to make it happen.

Yeah. These guys have chemistry like we had when we had Coles, Chrebet and Moss. They just loved playing together and so do Braylon and Santonio.

The trade had a playing time condition IIRC.

Cro has essentially played every defensive snap for 15 games so he easily met that.

As to Braylon vs. Santonio, I've said it from day 1 and I still believe it today: If the Jets can only re-sign 1 then it has to be Braylon.

Santonio is the better WR, but Braylon's production + ability + size/speed ratio trumps that. I'm hoping to keep both, but I'm also hoping for a hometown discount from one of them to make it happen.

That, and Braylon has better hands. :jawdrop:

Everything's already been said but I do think giving up the 2nd would be a sign that we're keeping Cromartie.

Also this:

Don't forget that Holmes is also a bad move away from a year suspension.

I expect Edwards will sign for a decent deal too.

Archived