Andrew Luck staying in school.

SenorGato

I know people bring up Lienhart, but this is a different situation.

First, Luck is a better QB prospect than Leinhart

Second, there's no Mario Williams in next year's draft

Third, the 2 things that hurt Leinhart (poor measurables and being "Hollywood") won't come into play for Luck.

The biggest issue is risk of injury. If he stays healthy and has a productive season he'll be No. 1 overall in 2012.

As to the rookie cap, Luck comes from a football family. He's not looking to win the lottery. He wants to be an NFL QB. Interning for another yr may be best for his longterm prospects.

This could cost him ten$ of million$. Not only the new CBA, but he's no lock to be the consensus #1 in 2012, either. Look at Matt Leinart.

Leinart went back to school to take a dance class. Luck wants to graduate from Stanford. I think there's a good chance that he he keeps his top ranking. There's still ways he can improve anyway.

Maybe Harbaugh says f*ck for the NFL another year too...That'd be better than this Miami stuff.

we'll probaly suck donkey kong schlong this next year and then snag Luck in the draft. I've waited this long whats another year getting made fun of for being a fins fan lol.

Get used to that. I dont see the Dolphins getting better anytime soon.

This could cost him ten$ of million$. Not only the new CBA, but he's no lock to be the consensus #1 in 2012, either. Look at Matt Leinart.

Yeah, this could be a very bad decision from a strictly financial standpoint. However, you have to imagine that he and/or his advisers are well aware of those possibilities. While this could come back to bite him in the a$$, it wouldn't necessarily compare it to Leinart. Leinart's decision to stay is part of what actually hurt him the following year. He was all but done with school and decided to stay and take nonsense classes just so he could still be the campus celebrity, which began a lot of knocks about his maturity level. Hardly the case here with Luck. That said, it doesn't mean his stock won't be hurt over the next year. Either way, it's certainly a ballsy decision by Luck, but if he really feels its the best one for him then good for him, because clearly there's a lot more downside than upside in this case.

I know people bring up Lienhart, but this is a different situation.

First, Luck is a better QB prospect than Leinhart

Second, there's no Mario Williams in next year's draft

Third, the 2 things that hurt Leinhart (poor measurables and being "Hollywood") won't come into play for Luck.

The biggest issue is risk of injury. If he stays healthy and has a productive season he'll be No. 1 overall in 2012.

As to the rookie cap, Luck comes from a football family. He's not looking to win the lottery. He wants to be an NFL QB. Interning for another yr may be best for his longterm prospects.

I wonder if Fairley stays if he'll become a Williams like prospect? Dont know.

Luck comes from money and he goes to Stanford. If injury were to happen, he's going to be just fine in life.

Leinart went back to school to take a dance class. Luck wants to graduate from Stanford. I think there's a good chance that he he keeps his top ranking. There's still ways he can improve anyway.

Maybe Harbaugh says f*ck for the NFL another year too...That'd be better than this Miami stuff.

Why not? Harbaugh, with another successful year at Stanford would still have as many job offers as he does now and if he goes to a horrible team he stands the possibility of drafting Luck.

Why not? Harbaugh, with another successful year at Stanford would still have as many job offers as he does now and if he goes to a horrible team he stands the possibility of drafting Luck.

Exactly...Harbaugh is fairly well established as a HC prospect and has done his share of interviews in the NFL...I hope he's just playing the game right now.

JiF, Fairley is not going to hit Williams status if he stayed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a guy who falls for character reasons...

There's a huge difference between wanting to slay season in SoCal and wanting a degree from Stanford University. Really. Swear to God they're not the same thing.

Haha!

Listen, I used Leinart as the obvious example. But anything can happen in a year. He's all but guaranteed the #1 spot and being the highest paid NFL rookie ever if he comes out now. He waits a year, and maybe not only is there a new CBA, but he's no longer the consensus #1 pick. Maybe Harbaugh leaves and he's not nearly as productive. Maybe he gets hurt. sh*t happens. It's a huge risk if you ask me.

Haha!

Listen, I used Leinart as the obvious example. But anything can happen in a year. He's all but guaranteed the #1 spot and being the highest paid NFL rookie ever if he comes out now. He waits a year, and maybe not only is there a new CBA, but he's no longer the consensus #1 pick. Maybe Harbaugh leaves and he's not nearly as productive. Maybe he gets hurt. sh*t happens. It's a huge risk if you ask me.

That's the only negative I can see to his decision.

Haha!

sh*t does happen. But in the event that it does happen, kid has a design degree from friggin Stanford dude. I still remember in the 90's when Tim Duncan was the projected #1 overall for 3 years running, and people said he was insane the 2 times he went back. Turned out years later that everyone learned that his mother made Duncan and all his siblings promise her on her deathbed that they'd all get degrees. For some kids, it's just that important. Can't hate on the kid at all.

Can't hate on the kid at all.

I'm not hating on him, I'm not judging him. If I were to judge him, I'd probably say that what he's doing is admirable.

Just stating that he's almost certainly costing himself a good portion of money (new CBA), and potentially a lifetime of security (injury, etc.).

weird

the big issue no one is talking about is rookie cap. I can't believe the owners will let this CBA go without trying to do something about the top 10 picks deals

this kid lost a lot of money today

and no guarantee he winds up in a better situation

weird

the big issue no one is talking about is rookie cap. I can't believe the owners will let this CBA go without trying to do something about the top 10 picks deals

Did you even read the thread? blink.gif

weird

I may be mistaken , but doesn't the current CBA expire after THIS season , so wouldn't any potenti draft pick salaries fall under the new CBA ?

I'm not hating on him, I'm not judging him. If I were to judge him, I'd probably say that what he's doing is admirable.

Just stating that he's almost certainly costing himself a good portion of money (new CBA), and potentially a lifetime of security (injury, etc.).

I think that rookie cap is the only thing that's going to be almost universally embraced in the new deal. The only people who support not keeping rookie salaries down are the agents. Otherwise, the Player's Union and the owners are going to jerk each other off at the idea of putting more money back into the pool to pay the big money ONLY to players who have proven themselves. It will keep older vets employed and it will keep the egg off of owner's faces when they draft a Jamarcus Russell or a Gholston. Who, other than the agents, is going to fight taking $50 mil guarantees away from guys who never took an NFL snap and giving it back to everyone else? Luck can go out and have the best season ever by a collgian and may still have halved his initial contract figures.

I think that rookie cap is the only thing that's going to be almost universally embraced in the new deal. The only people who support not keeping rookie salaries down are the agents. Otherwise, the Player's Union and the owners are going to jerk each other off at the idea of putting more money back into the pool to pay the big money ONLY to players who have proven themselves. It will keep older vets employed and it will keep the egg off of owner's faces when they draft a Jamarcus Russell or a Gholston. Who, other than the agents, is going to fight taking $50 mil guarantees away from guys who never took an NFL snap and giving it back to everyone else? Luck can go out and have the best season ever by a collgian and may still have halved his initial contract figures.

If I'm the Players I do not give up rookie cap, rookie salaries drives up vets pay during FA, I'm also not so sure the owners will spread the excess $$ to vets anyway. I think they want to keep it their pockets

Archived