Dennis Byrd Message To The Jets

Maxman

I don't know what the message was but check this out from Braylon Edwards:

OfficialBraylon Braylon Edwards I just heard the most inspirational message of my life from former jet Dennis Byrd, who suffered a career ending neck injury.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this just FEELS too much like the week or so leading up to SBIII-nobody and I mean NOBODY gave us a snowball's chance in south Florida to win that game either. I just have this feeling like I had the first NE game-I'm not worried-I feel calm and relaxed and confident that my intuition is back. You guys know how I was calling them on the money in August and September? I feel the same way right now. This morning when I woke up I actually heard Bob Wishhusen saying "for the second year in row the Jets are heading to the AFC Championship game". Just like how I told you guys that I saw Revis on the sidelines against Baltimore when he was unsigned-I gave the exact date that he would sign and I was right-ask Greenbean

We need to get the ball into this mans' hands. Sanchez and company need a game of a lifetime for a win of a lifetime. This game could represent a changing of the guard within the AFCEast and AFC in general, or it could represent another failure to live up to Rex Ryan's expectations for this team. I have faith in the former.

Dennis Byrd gives motivational speech

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

From Tuna to Spygate to Woodhead, we have the main characters and moments from a heated rivalry: Jets photo.pngPats photo.png

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- On the eve of their biggest game since Super Bowl III -- or so Rex Ryan called it -- the New York Jets received a motivational speech from one of the most beloved and tragic figures in franchise history.

Former defensive lineman Dennis Byrd, whose promising career came to a nightmarish end in 1992 when he suffered a broken neck in a game against the Kansas City Chiefs, delivered a moving address to the Jets Saturday night at their team hotel.

"I just heard the most inspirational message of my life from former Jet Dennis Byrd," wide receiver Braylon Edwards tweeted.

In a follow-up tweet, Edwards added, "As God is my witness, I have never been more ready to perform in my life. Dennis Byrd, I respect, salute and honor you."

Byrd, 44, who lives with his family in Owasso, Okla., will attend Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game, a team spokesman said.

AFC Divisional Playoffs

The Jets meet the New England Patriots in a grudge match that will be rife with emotion. The Jets were embarrassed last month by the Patriots, 45-3, fueling a war of words in recent days that started with Ryan and escalated when cornerback Antonio Cromartie made profane comments about quarterback Tom Brady.

Ordinarily, Ryan delivers the Saturday-night speech to the team, and they're usually quite memorable. This time, the outspoken ceded his podium to Byrd, who spoke eloquently of how his career was cut short and how he always dreamed of playing in a game of this magnitude, according to people in the room.

It was an emotional week for the Jets, but it hit a fever pitch with the arrival of Byrd, who has been living a reclusive life in his native Oklahoma. It's believed this was his first team function in more than 15 years. In the years following his injury, which left him temporarily paralyzed, Byrd drifted away from the spotlight, cutting off ties with former teammates and team officials.

Byrd's injury gripped New York for several weeks late in the 1992 season, when he was front-page news. Three months after the injury, which occurred when he collided with teammate Scott Mersereau, Byrd walked on crutches into an emotional news conference at his Manhattan hospital.

The following season, the Jets honored Byrd on opening day, when he walked on his own to midfield for the coin toss. He was presented with the Most Inspiration Player Award, which was immediately re-named the Dennis Byrd Award. It's presented annually to a player on the team, as voted by the players.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was this season's recipient.

No Jets player has worn No. 90 since Byrd, although it hasn't been formally retired.

Byrd worked one season as a CBS analyst, and later as an assistant high school coach, before leaving the game. He wrote a book, which led to a TV movie about his life. In recent years, he has traveled the country as a motivational speaker.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

I met Byrd and his dad at a monday night bar in Brooklyn a few games before he got hurt.he was such a class guy. I have an autgraph on a picture from the yearbook that my kid has hung on his wall for years. if they can play with the heart that guy played with we will have a decent shot today.

I met Byrd and his dad at a monday night bar in Brooklyn a few games before he got hurt.he was such a class guy. I have an autgraph on a picture from the yearbook that my kid has hung on his wall for years. if they can play with the heart that guy played with we will have a decent shot today.

Heart and soul he had it all. If only his career hadnt been cut short.

Archived