Sanchez detractors- have your opinions about him changed after the playoffs?

Matt39

i'm not one of the leading detractors... but one opinion that's changed is can't play in the cold..

the rest, it's kind of same. Already kinda figured out he plays well in pressure situations based on last years playoffs and all the 4th quarter come backs this year. also had seen him flash great play plenty of times..

I still kind of wince when he throws it and think he's gotta a long way to go in terms of consistancy..

i'm not one of the leading detractors... but one opinion that's changed is can't play in the cold..

the rest, it's kind of same. Already kinda figured out he plays well in pressure situations based on last years playoffs and all the 4th quarter come backs this year. also had seen him flash great play plenty of times..

I still kind of wince when he throws it and think he's gotta a long way to go in terms of consistancy..

Agree with the consistancy part for sure. He appears to be a hard worker and lots of QB's take 3-4 seasons before they become a QB where you know what you will get from game to game. Mark still has too many long droughts of horrific play but again it is early in his career.

I don't see him being a top 5 QB but I think he can fall around the top 10 category. Guys like Brees did not look elite until year 3 or 4 either so it's not entirely out of the question.

I wasnt a detractor but I was critical and a bit concerned; while I still do not believe he will ever be an elite, Top 5 QB - I do think he will become a Top 10 guy capable of winning a Super Bowl. And that is more than enough for me.

But I was impressed this past month. I love the way the kid played during this run.

Would love to see that completion % creep up near 60% next year and he has to somehow lead this team to a divisional title. This playoff "road warriors" act has stalled in the AFC title game 2 straight years. Maybe a divisional title and a bye will help put us over the top.

I wasnt a detractor but I was critical and a bit concerned; while I still do not believe he will ever be an elite, Top 5 QB - I do think he will become a Top 10 guy capable of winning a Super Bowl. And that is more than enough for me.

But I was impressed this past month. I love the way the kid played during this run.

Would love to see that completion % creep up near 60% next year and he has to somehow lead this team to a divisional title. This playoff "road warriors" act has stalled in the AFC title game 2 straight years. Maybe a divisional title and a bye will help put us over the top.

Not many college games played, two years as a pro and his shoulder is always a concern. He can be a top quarterback but my question is will he last 4-5 years?

I agree with a lot that has been said here. I think he can be a top 10 QB who makes himself elite by finding ways to win big games, much like the guy he lost to on Sunday.

My wishlist statwise for Sanchez next year: 60%+ completion rate, @3800 yards, 25-30 TDs, 15 or fewer INTs.

I think that is very realistic and if he can hit those numbers, we're looking at 12 or more wins and a very likely division title and possible bye.

100% for me. not ready to call him elite or even great. but the kid is a gamer and plays big when the chips are down. He's a slow starter and still shows his youth but at the same time he's a big game kid. The anti- Chad. Bigger the game Bigger Sanchez plays. If he gets more consistent he will bring us a championship before it's over.

Opinion changed from when? From the beginning of his career?

My opinion initially was I liked the pick but was concerned with him starting right away.

My opinion initially was he wasn't ready from game 1 as a rookie. He wasn't.

My opinion initially was that his pocket presence was bad. It was. He held the ball away from his body and stood there like a statue for too long.

My opinion initially was that he made his receivers make acrobatic catches or missed them outright when they're wide open. It still occurs.

My opinion initially was that he was late in getting the ball to his open receivers, which closes their window of openness. It still occurs.

My opinion initially was that he stared down his receivers. He still does this, as batted passes and jumped routes are evidence of this, but not quite as much.

However he doesn't get worse in crunch-time -- quite the contrary, he seems to get better. For large chunks of games he does seem to only get to pass the ball on 3rd & obvious passing. But his teammates believe in him, they like him, and so do I.

He definitely needs to work on his accuracy, but I don't know how much of that is getting used to the game and how much is his arm. He doesn't have the arm Aikman had, but he had about the same completion percentage as Sanchez his first couple of years. 5 of the next 6 seasons he was either #1 or #2 in the league in that category. But I'll be honest I didn't watch most of Aikman's games those first 2 years so I don't know what was the root of his inaccuracy issues back then or how much more accurate he was even on passes that were completed. Either way, they're 2 totally different QB's but Aikman's far from the only one whose accuracy noticeably improved after his first couple of seasons.

Yes. I've been generally disappointed in him because he has long stretches of complete inadequacy, but the kid has teeth in his stomach and nothing scares him. After watching the anti-Sanchez, Jay Cutler, go gay in the NFCCC, it really made me value what we have in him. I'm sure he'll always make me puke at times, but I'll also know that there is no game in any stadium that he can't go out and win. He's just a tough little dude who wins football games. Viva la Sanchez.

Yes.

I still think he has a long way to go and I'm not sure that he'll ever be elite...but I like the kid. He's got guts and the ability to show up at the big moments. Thats something you cant coach. He's a gamer. We can win a SB with this kid.

too much flip flop.. but to the bolded, this is why Sanchez is the best qb we've had since testeverde already.. f the stats, atleast there's not a feelign of hopelessness when we play a decent a team

too much flip flop.. but to the bolded, this is why Sanchez is the best qb we've had since testeverde already.. f the stats, atleast there's not a feelign of hopelessness when we play a decent a team

Whenever we played a good defense with Pennington the game was over before it started.

QB stats are pretty useless anyway

Not the best arm strength in the league.

But I think he has got the IT factor.

There is something about him in those late game situations that has not been seen on a JETS team for a long long time.

Either that or the JETS only let him go off Schotty's leash in late game situations.

I would seriously love to see what he can do with somebody chaining him down.

I agree with this.

He needs to improve his accuracy on mid gain passes, over 60%. Otherwise not to much to complain about.

Kid looks good

Agree.

Dunno how he overthrows on a 10yd slant, then nails braylon with some crazy-assed 40yarder on a broken play.

Archived