Revis admits to letdown?

4HCrew

Yes, there was a post-New England hangover, according to Darrelle Revis.

The New York Jets' star cornerback, speaking Thursday at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, said the team was "relaxed" during a listless first half in the AFC Championship Game.

Several players admitted after losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers that the team came out flat, but they refused to connect it to the previous week's emotional and stunning upset of the Patriots -- until Revis.

Asked by the NFL Network if there was a letdown after the divisional win in New England, Revis said, "I think ... you could say that. Yeah, you could say that. On people's body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn't know what was at stake. That's why we came out so flat and we didn't finish strong."

It's mind boggling to think a team could lack emotion in a championship game, especially a franchise that hasn't been to the Super Bowl in 42 years, but the Jets got pushed around and fell behind, 24-0. Unofficially, they missed 11 tackles in the first half, unable to slow the Steelers' powerful running game.

Revis said several leaders spoke up in the locker room at halftime, including him, and the Jets made a game of it before losing, 24-19.

In his Pro Bowl interview, Revis re-visited his summer-long holdout, claiming he was prepared to sit out the season if he didn't receive a new contract to his liking. He eventually signed a four-year, $46 million deal, finalized one week before the season opener.

"Yeah, I mean, we prepared for the worst," said Revis, whose holdout was highly contentious. " didn't think I was going to play this year."

Asked if he would've sat out the season, he replied, "We was leaning on that way to do that. We didn't want it to go down that road, but I have to do what's best for me and my agents have to do what's best for me as well."

"I just think the whole situation got out of hand, it really did," he continued. "That's why I wasn't in the media, not trying to say nothing, just keep quiet and relax and one day it's going to get done, and I'll be playing football again."

Revis made the Pro Bowl for the third time in four seasons.

Just shows a total lack of professionalism by the defense, the same cheeseburger eating defense.

As to Revis, love the player but hate the person.

The Jets are paying him $16 million. Maybe his overpaid a$$ could can make that INT on the ball in his hands against the Steelers.

This is what leaders do. The own up to sh*t. I'm glad Revis put it on the table, and I'm glad that this team will be that much more pissed off, and "us against the world" next year. At some point, this Jets organization's culture has to change ALL THE WAY. Not getting up for the AFC Championship game is inexcusable, it seems we are still dealing with demons of the past... soon enough they will be gone. There is no bigger stage to have SOJ rear its head, then there was Sunday.

This is what leaders do. The own up to sh*t. I'm glad Revis put it on the table, and I'm glad that this team will be that much more pissed off, and "us against the world" next year. At some point, this Jets organization's culture has to change ALL THE WAY. Not getting up for the AFC Championship game is inexcusable, it seems we are still dealing with demons of the past... soon enough they will be gone. There is no bigger stage to have SOJ rear its head, then there was Sunday.

I am glad he owned up to it but it clearly shows that the Jets need more leadership on the field. That first half performance was downright embarrassing.

I was more terrified of this happening than anything the Steelers could do. As a fan, I felt some sort of letdown, I'm sure it's magnified in the players. Still, no excuse, I mean, is the Super Bowl not as big a deal to these guys as it is to us? Is it just a more important game and not the be all and end all of existence like it is for some of us? Forty (thirty for me) years is a long time to wait for something.

I was more terrified of this happening than anything the Steelers could do. As a fan, I felt some sort of letdown, I'm sure it's magnified in the players. Still, no excuse, I mean, is the Super Bowl not as big a deal to these guys as it is to us? Is it just a more important game and not the be all and end all of existence like it is for some of us? Forty (thirty for me) years is a long time to wait for something.

I thought guys like T Rich, Ellis, Jason Taylor, and LT would prevent something like this from happening..

Same here man....going into this game I was even flat. The NE game was everyones Super Bowl.

Rex called the NE game the second biggest in franchise history.

Exactly. Where do you go from there? I'm usually not a big proponent of the "more psyched team wins" theory of football, but it's hard to ignore the way the defense played that half. The run game of Pittsburgh is not that good, I know, since I watched every single running play of their entire season as if my life depended on it. I owned Rashard Mendenhall in a fantasy league and it was SO frustrating to follow.

Then again, wasn't the Steeler-Raven game an "armageddon game" as well?

Revis said several leaders spoke up in the locker room at halftime, including him, and the Jets made a game of it before losing, 24-19.

Real leaders would have recognized the lack of energy and bad body language immediately and grabbed the team after the lethargic first drive and got in their faces to make sure it didnt happen again. Real leaders wouldnt have waited until we were down 24-3 at the half to speak up.

Rex called the NE game the second biggest in franchise history.

You'd have to be insane to believe this team was flat.. they were just tired.. belichick probably rented the floor under them in the hotel and made animal noises all night

Then again, wasn't the Steeler-Raven game an "armageddon game" as well?

The Steelers had to win two games at home to get to the superbowl.

The Jets had to win three games away to get to the superbowl. Against 3 HOF QBs

And they nearly pulled it off!

Next season, the Jets have to win the division. If they make the playoffs as a wild card again, I'm going to ******* scream!!

I thought guys like T Rich, Ellis, Jason Taylor, and LT would prevent something like this from happening..

Aside from Ellis, maybe there's a reason none of the veterans we brought in were able to win elsewhere... just sayin'

Its not the first time LT completely disappeared in a playoff game.

You'd have to be insane to believe this team was flat.. they were just tired.. belichick probably rented the floor under them in the hotel and made animal noises all night

Well, youve got a point there.

The Jets headsets were malfunctioning so that proves Belichick was in the Pittsburgh area.

Well, youve got a point there.

The Jets headsets were malfunctioning so that proves Belichick was in the Pittsburgh area.

I can imagine him outside the stadium in a white van w/tinted windows surrounded by jamming equipment.

That's it Darrelle ... throw your head coach (you know, the guy who has done nothing but support you 150% and is probably the biggest reason you got that big contract) under the bus and imply he didn't do his job ... nice work.

Great player, but man, what a dick.

That's it Darrelle ... throw your head coach (you know, the guy who has done nothing but support you 150% and is probably the biggest reason you got that big contract) under the bus and imply he didn't do his job ... nice work.

Man, he's a great player.

But what a dick.

mevi$ $louch

Players are human. You can't keep going back to the well to get fired up to play at the level the Jets had to week after week and not expect to come up dry at some point. The Steelers game was that point. They played the Colts and Pats games like they were storming Normandy. Hell, they even went hard against Buffalo in Week 17.

Beat me to it.

"Asked by the NFL Network if there was a letdown after the divisional win in New England, Revis said, "I think ... you could say that. Yeah, you could say that. On people's body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn't know what was at stake. That's why we came out so flat and we didn't finish strong."

To the vast majority of sports fans, players, and the media, that statement would imply to "the listener" or "the reader" that the head coach failed to do his job, since most sports fans, players, and media would feel it is the head coach who is responsible for getting his team "ready to play".

I heard the interview on the network. If you don't want to believe he said it, fine, I'm not going to spend my day trying to find something you can probably find yourself on the net if you really want to see it.

Or you can just continue to stick your head in the sand and pretend he didn't say it.

Either way, I couldn't give a flying f#$%.

In either case, I'll stick with my opinion.

Great player ... also a giant scumbag.

To the vast majority of sports fans, players, and the media, that statement would imply to "the listener" or "the reader" that the head coach failed to do his job, since most sports fans, players, and media would feel it is the head coach who is responsible for getting his team "ready to play".

I heard the interview on the network. If you don't want to believe he said it, fine, I'm not going to spend my day trying to find something you can probably find yourself on the net if you really want to see it.

Or you can just continue to stick your head in the sand and pretend he didn't say it.

I believe he said it, I'd just like to see your data on the vast majority of sports fans, players, and the media.

Archived