Haloti Ngata

ZachEY

Non-Exclusive Franchise Player.

Sign him.

Give up the 2 1st rounders.

We're picking what, 30th this year?

We should make the playoffs AT LEAST next year. He's worth it.

I actually think this is an absolute no-brainer.

I completely agree...there's no one I'm falling over myself for at 30...Ngata would change the face of this defense...we'd be elite for the next 5 years with even more ease....GET IT DONE TANNY!

Too much to invest in one player--two firsts plus a megadeal to bolster a unit that's already pretty good? Fuhgeddaboutit. You maybe do that for DeMarcus Ware or Justin Tuck, but not a beastly DE/NT who isn't really helping you get to the QB. Here's a novel idea--why doesn't Tanny go find and draft his own Haloti Ngata?

How many Haloti Ngatas are actually out there? 6'5 340 with his athleticism, character, and power just doesn't come around...also he'd be a boost for the pass rush.

I am ignorant when it comes to labor negotiations. Can you explain to me how decertification would prevent a lockout. If the union decertifies, how can they continue to negotiate?

They can't negotiate after they decertify. If they decertify, how can the owners lock them out? They won't be able to say the players are collectively acting against them and they will have to pay the players that show up to play. The players will then file complaints for antitrust violations about things like the salary cap, draft, exclusive rights, etc. The owners don't want that and that is why they posted the Unfair Labor Practices claim. It will probably take some time for those suits to pay any dividends for the players. Basically, they are kiling the goose, but nothing new there. Jet Fan in Denver posted a pretty good article about here Other JN thread and Jason had some good commentary.

I am ignorant when it comes to labor negotiations. Can you explain to me how decertification would prevent a lockout. If the union decertifies, how can they continue to negotiate?

Once the union is decertified, they wouldn't be able to negotiate on behalf of the players.

By decertifying, they give the NFL the ability to unilaterally impose rules, which would likely be met an anti-trust suit from the players. It does, however, prevent the NFL from locking out the players and would ensure there to be a season, played under whatever rules the teams and commissioner's office put in place regarding player movement, salary restrictions, etc. This is essentially how the league ran from '89-'93.

From the players' standpoint, it gives the players an edge in public perception, as they can claim to be the party that took action to preserve the 2010-11 season. In the end, they will need a union in order to eventually negotiate a new CBA, the timing of which depends on how things shape up in the court proceedings.

Too much to invest in one player--two firsts plus a megadeal to bolster a unit that's already pretty good? Fuhgeddaboutit. You maybe do that for DeMarcus Ware or Justin Tuck, but not a beastly DE/NT who isn't really helping you get to the QB. Here's a novel idea--why doesn't Tanny go find and draft his own Haloti Ngata?

:cheers:they did it while Rex was in Baltimore, even though Ossie had a hand in it, its time for Rex to finally draft his OWN defensive players!!..should be very interesting come April

Once the union is decertified, they wouldn't be able to negotiate on behalf of the players.

By decertifying, they give the NFL the ability to unilaterally impose rules, which would likely be met an anti-trust suit from the players. It does, however, prevent the NFL from locking out the players and would ensure there to be a season, played under whatever rules the teams and commissioner's office put in place regarding player movement, salary restrictions, etc. This is essentially how the league ran from '89-'93.

From the players' standpoint, it gives the players an edge in public perception, as they can claim to be the party that took action to preserve the 2010-11 season. In the end, they will need a union in order to eventually negotiate a new CBA, the timing of which depends on how things shape up in the court proceedings.

Yup and every player under the sun wanted to play for Jimmy Johnson, and the Cowboys, after they drafted there stud QB (insert Sanchez), and thats how I think it would go down here for the Jets, every stud player would want to come to the Jets to dominate, and win super bowls while playing for Rex, and the players would want this cause just like with Jimmy Johnson, they could do it there way.

don't the jets have like 17 players up in the air right now ?

I'd rather put the money into keeping as much of the team in tact as possible, and who are we kidding, the ravens will sign fat boy just like the jets will sign harris

Ngata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harris

Ngata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harris

I think your doobie is canoeing ;-)

the point is it's a wasted conversation as he isn't going anywhere

Ha! Nonono. You've got it all wrong. See, if we draft a good player, then we get him on the cheap for several seasons. It's much more sensible to give away all your draft picks for guys like Cromartie and Favre. That way you can sign them for more money than they are worth in order to get rid of those pesky draft picks. Draft picks are bad, Mr. Shane. When you draft, you only get players that help long-term. Guys like Cotchery and ellis and Harris and Revis and Mangold and Ferguson and Sanchez and Greene. Long term franchise guys. But when you piss away valuable draftpicks--you don't have to worry about such commitments. See, it's better to give away a second rounder to cromartie for a season's worth of mediocre corner play, than to draft a safety with that pick. I'm not sure why. But the philosophy works. Or, it did work. Until all the contracts come due. Like this year. But, i trust Tanny. He knows how to pick'em. You don't get McKnight, Ducasse, Connor and Wilson all in the same draft without knowing what you're doing.

Ha! Nonono. You've got it all wrong. See, if we draft a good player, then we get him on the cheap for several seasons. It's much more sensible to give away all your draft picks for guys like Cromartie and Favre. That way you can sign them for more money than they are worth in order to get rid of those pesky draft picks. Draft picks are bad, Mr. Shane. When you draft, you only get players that help long-term. Guys like Cotchery and ellis and Harris and Revis and Mangold and Ferguson and Sanchez and Greene. Long term franchise guys. But when you piss away valuable draftpicks--you don't have to worry about such commitments. See, it's better to give away a second rounder to cromartie for a season's worth of mediocre corner play, than to draft a safety with that pick. I'm not sure why. But the philosophy works. Or, it did work. Until all the contracts come due. Like this year. But, i trust Tanny. He knows how to pick'em. You don't get McKnight, Ducasse, Connor and Wilson all in the same draft without knowing what you're doing.

Are you a troll or do you actually exist in some bizarre alternate universe where this front office ISN'T one of the best in the league???

Yup and every player under the sun wanted to play for Jimmy Johnson, and the Cowboys, after they drafted there stud QB (insert Sanchez), and thats how I think it would go down here for the Jets, every stud player would want to come to the Jets to dominate, and win super bowls while playing for Rex, and the players would want this cause just like with Jimmy Johnson, they could do it there way.

So the Jets are going to get guys who want to win while doing lines of coke off a hooker's back?

Poison pills FTW.

Yeah, I wonder how the lack of CBA changes that. Is it an "unfair limit on competition" or will the owners not using them be deemed as collusion?

Dude, you are worse than Guns. Does the team have talented players? You want draft picks, but you don't like our draft picks. It's not that they did anything wrong, but if they don't start ahead of quality veteran players (that you complain about us obtaining) they are failures. To you the only good GM is one for a sh*t team that drafts 7 guys that all start because the team is sh*t. The next year he can draft another 7 "starters" and you can again be happy.

The contracts are due because the Jets planned it that way so that they would be flexible under whatever new deal is reached. 6 of the 8 guys you listed are already locked up. The only two that aren't are Harris who they franchised, so they must be planning to sign and Ellis who is 47 years old.

T0m Shane hates Tannenbaum more than anybody and even he probably thinks your premise is silly. You complained about this last year and the team added Cromartie and Holmes. Why don't you see who they end up with if there is a 2011 season?

Are you a troll or do you actually exist in some bizarre alternate universe where this front office ISN'T one of the best in the league???

I thought we weren't going to engage him? :D

The problem with this whole thing of course is the fact that tagging a player right now is purely academic. No FA is getting signed until there is a CBA and the franchise tag may be very different or non-existent in the new CBA. Based on the Jets current needs and FA situation, here's to hoping the franchise tag no longer comes with a penalty of two 1st rounders.

Just the prospect of Ngata on the Jets D is incredible. Can you imagine if it actually happened?

I honestly don't want to get my hopes up... but I am. AMAZING.

The 2 firsts are ALWAYS question marks. If your going to use one of those Firsts on a DLineman then in essence your only giving up one first for a proven top five DLman. It is as EY stated a no brainer if it can happen financially.

The 2 firsts are ALWAYS question marks. If your going to use one of those Firsts on a DLineman then in essence your only giving up one first for a proven top five DLman. It is as EY stated a no brainer if it can happen financially.

I will go on record as saying I DON'T like the idea of this deal. 2 firsts + a huge contract? No thank you. One first *might* be worth it. I don't believe in paying that big of a premium for the right to pay a guy all that money. You are dealing with Mangold + Keller + a crippling deal. I'd love to get Ngata, but it seems like a heavy price to me.

I will go on record as saying I DON'T like the idea of this deal. 2 firsts + a huge contract? No thank you. One first *might* be worth it. I don't believe in paying that big of a premium for the right to pay a guy all that money. You are dealing with Mangold + Keller + a crippling deal. I'd love to get Ngata, but it seems like a heavy price to me.

The Jets could also approach the Ravens about a trade. Would you do a 1st and 3rd for Ngata? I would.

The Jets could also approach the Ravens about a trade. Would you do a 1st and 3rd for Ngata? I would.

Sure. Now you are getting there, but I don't agree to trade anything until I see the contract and the CBA. Ngata may be worth more than the picks, but you need those picks if you don't have space to sign other quality FAs. Even if he were on the free market he might go for more than I'd be willing to spend. OTOH, if he'd sign cheap enough I *might* even be willing to do the 2 firsts.

Sure. Now you are getting there, but I don't agree to trade anything until I see the contract and the CBA. Ngata may be worth more than the picks, but you need those picks if you don't have space to sign other quality FAs. Even if he were on the free market he might go for more than I'd be willing to spend. OTOH, if he'd sign cheap enough I *might* even be willing to do the 2 firsts.

That's entirely why this whole discussion is purely academic. I don't think any signings or trades will happen until the new CBA is in place.

The team is young in alot of key spots...The two firsts don't really bother me. Ngata also strikes me as a guy who'd live up to his contract...

Non-Exclusive Franchise Player.

Sign him.

Give up the 2 1st rounders.

We're picking what, 30th this year?

We should make the playoffs AT LEAST next year. He's worth it.

I actually think this is an absolute no-brainer.

Excellent idea.

But I got a bit of deja vu ...

Bon mots!!!

Archived