Vladimir Guerrero, Angels 1 0 9 196

Manny Ramirez, Red Sox 0 0 9 156

Travis Hafner, Indians 0 0 5 151

Paul Konerko, White Sox 0 0 2 128

Mark Teixeira, Rangers 0 0 1 106

Gary Sheffield, Yankees 0 0 0 84

Mariano Rivera, Yankees 0 0 1 59

Derek Jeter, Yankees 0 0 0 23

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was named the American League's most valuable player on Monday, edging Boston Red Sox rival David Ortiz.

Rodriguez, who also won the award in 2003, received 16 first-place votes and 11 second-place votes, while Ortiz received 11 votes for first place and 17 for second.

Vladimir Guererro received the remaining first-place vote to finish third in the balloting with 9 second-place votes and 8 third-place votes.

A-Rod has won the award led the AL in runs scored (124), home runs (48) and slugging percentage (.610).

A-Rod was criticized -- and critical of himself -- for his play in the AL Division Series. He finished the five-game series, which the Yanks lost to the Angels , with no RBI and a .133 batting average. He also made a fielding error that led to the tying run in the Angels' Game 2 victory.

Ortiz finished second to A-Rod in several categories this season, with 47 home runs and slugging percentage (.604). He lead the AL with 147 RBI.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this

I can guess Yankee fans can not say the voters dislike of the Yankees factored in- my own opinion Ortiz should have gotten this award so again they screwed up in the voting.

Rivera should have won Cy Young and Ortiz MVP

I can guess Yankee fans can not say the voters dislike of the Yankees factored in- my own opinion Ortiz should have gotten this award so again they screwed up in the voting.

Rivera should have won Cy Young and Ortiz MVP

Agreed

They all choked like dogs.

I just can't get excited about A-Rod winning the MVP. He has done it now what 3, 4 times and what has it gotten him.

Nothing.

Screw individiual awards. The only thing that matters is winning the World Series.

how bout 2 of the last 3 years...

and for anyone thinking Ortiz deserved it over Alex you must remember that its the Most Valuable Player award not best hitter award

Alex played gold glove level 3rd base while Ortiz was so horrible in the field he limited the lineups Francona could draw up due to teh terrifying thought of his fat ass at first base....you need to do more than just hit a little better statistically to win MVP

It seems like the campaign started by my signature has paid dividends! Slappy wins!!!

Sorry Papi, had to throw you under the bus. I know you really deserved the award as opposed to that accursed, un-clutch prima donna with frosted tips. But keep your eyes on the prize...the better A-rod does, the worse off the Yankees are.

Bullsh*t.

I second that.

Baseball nerds like Ken Rosenthal say, A-Rod hit .290 with runners in scoring position to justify he was not toally useless in that category. To bad Big Papi hit .352. .368 with RISP and 2 outs.

As we covered in September, Big Papi hit higher in all categories with RISP, men on-2out, etc., then A-Rod. In clutch situations, Big Papi hit significantly higher then his BA for the year while A-Rod was significantly below his .321 average. Which means Big Papi rose to the ocassion while A-Rod shrunk in the spotlight.

A-Rod is a great player, but all the ESPN ball washing of the Yankees won this award more then anything A-Rod did on the field.

Oh btw, Big Papi also made an appearance in the post season.

By the same logic that MO does not deserve the Cy Young because he is a relief pitcher, then Ortiz does not deserve the MVP because he is a DH.

I think you brought mbn here for several reasons Max and they are as follows:

1. To mindlessly compare apples to oranges

2. To post telegraphed, pro-Yankee, ill-conceived jargon to thunderous applause from the less articulate, blue-collar crowd (read: smizzy, JonE)

3. To level personal insults at innocent bystanders

Now, allow me to retort. This whole A-Rod getting the MVP thing, while hugely comical, is pure malarkey. Take A-rod's stat-padding, unclutch @ss off the Yankees and they pretty much win the same amount of games. Take Rivera off the Yankees and they are the Baltimore Orioles (9000 offensive players and no pitching!) He isnt even the most valuable player on his team! If thats not enough to make you laugh I dont know what is!?!?!?

No, a DH shouldnt get the MVP award in most years unless the DH in question RELIGIOUSLY hits game-tying and game-winning walkoff homeruns and extra base hits! Much less if the DH in question single-handedly carried his team to the post-season. Enter David Ortiz. Plus, he hit a ton of RBI and had a mammoth OBP. Take him off the Red Sox and they are fighting the Devil Rays for last place.

But...as a Yankee Hater, I gotta say I am happy when A-rod's accursed @ss does well individually. That means, as we all know too well, that his team is F*CKED!

So, congrats Yankee fans. Enjoy A-Rod's pinstriped years, I know I will!

PS: mbn didnt own 80 in this thread or any other thread. Mbn is one of the worst posters that pollutes MY FORUM. 80 brings much more to the table.

Um, not to be a jerk smizzy, but dont you mean: " I am so much better THAN you"

as opposed to:

"I am so much better THEN you"

:wink:

I was unaware we are being graded on spelling & grammer here on JN.

Just give me my F and let's move on asslint.

"Take A-rod's stat-padding, unclutch @ss off the Yankees and they pretty much win the same amount of games."

That's ridiculous. Without A-Rod the Yanks miss the playoffs. They don't come within 5 games of the playoffs. He may have stunk in the playoffs, but without him there's no way the Yanks are alive at the end of the year.

"Take A-rod's stat-padding, unclutch @ss off the Yankees and they pretty much win the same amount of games."

That's ridiculous. Without A-Rod the Yanks miss the playoffs. They don't come within 5 games of the playoffs. He may have stunk in the playoffs, but without him there's no way the Yanks are alive at the end of the year.

And with a bit of irony, when ABC Evening news was announcing A-Rod's award they use a highlight of him making a 6-2 lead 10-2. :roll:

With all bit of seriousness, if your team is up by one run with two outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth of the World Series, A-Rod is about the 5th or 6th person you want to see up at the plate behind Big Papi, Matsui, Jeter, Sheffield and maybe Manny. Actually, A-Rod is a stat padding player much like Manny. Manny might drop three bombs and 8 RBIs in a 13-1 blowout, but his clutchness in pressure situations are like A-Rod's, once in a blue moon.

Funny how the Yankee haters think we are better off without Arod.

Yankee World Series appearances with A-Rod: zero

Teams that have appeared in a World Series with A-Rod: zero

Greatest chokejobs in history occurring due to A-Rod: 1

Yankee fans still making excuses for the biggest curse in the game today (besides the Cubs): Priceless.

Yankee fans still making excuses for the biggest curse in the game today (besides the Cubs): Priceless.

Ahhh...leave it to an overplayed Mastercard quote to bail you out.

Years Arod has left with the Yankees....several.

Chances the Yankees will be in the series during Arod's tenure...very good.

I think you brought mbn here for several reasons Max and they are as follows:

3. To level personal insults at innocent bystanders

PS: mbn didnt own 80 in this thread or any other thread. Mbn is one of the worst posters that pollutes MY FORUM. 80 brings much more to the table.

When it comes to innocent bystanders, be sure to ask some first grader for the definition. Because you sure have no clue what the term means.

If you think this is your forum, please pass along to me a statement of ownership. This is a legal document showing that you are the true owner....

Oh, I forgot. Law school dropout. Sorry about that. :mrgreen:

Now, allow me to retort. This whole A-Rod getting the MVP thing, while hugely comical, is pure malarkey. Take A-rod's stat-padding, unclutch @ss off the Yankees and they pretty much win the same amount of games. Take Rivera off the Yankees and they are the Baltimore Orioles (9000 offensive players and no pitching!) He isnt even the most valuable player on his team! If thats not enough to make you laugh I dont know what is!?!?!?

No, a DH shouldnt get the MVP award in most years unless the DH in question RELIGIOUSLY hits game-tying and game-winning walkoff homeruns and extra base hits! Much less if the DH in question single-handedly carried his team to the post-season. Enter David Ortiz. Plus, he hit a ton of RBI and had a mammoth OBP. Take him off the Red Sox and they are fighting the Devil Rays for last place.

But...as a Yankee Hater, I gotta say I am happy when A-rod's accursed @ss does well individually. That means, as we all know too well, that his team is F*CKED!

So, congrats Yankee fans. Enjoy A-Rod's pinstriped years, I know I will!

Based on your logic., you should speak out against the writers who dared put Manny so high in the MVP voting. He is a nothing. His 40+ HRS and 130+ RBIs are pure garbage. He is useless.

Let me clue you in pal. Take Manny off that team, and Ortiz hits like he did in Minny. And you may get to see that in 2006 if the Bosox do trade Manny, and do not get someone to protect Ortiz. Take Ortiz off that team, and Manny still gets his 40 and 130.

Also, if you remove A-Rod from the Yankees, along with his gold glove caliber defense at 3rd, the Yankees are a less threatening lineup, with the worst defense in the AL. And they will never get a chance to get MO in a game, as they will rarely have a lead to protect late in the game.

Bottom Line:

80 may bring more to the table then I do, but you are a subtraction to anything and everything under discussion on any topic here. And that's a Fact!!

Biggest curse after how long? Yes, that's right you can count it on one hand. These ranging, unfounded statements are something that puncture your credibility.

Archived