Bold Gholston Prediction

JetsFanNick12

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many sacks will Gholston have next year?

Vernon Gholston will be picked up next year by some team and have 10-15 sacks next year, be in the pro bowl, and have a ring in the next few years. Come on Jets fans, how many times have we seen our own guys leave and win the big one (Vilma). Even Ben Graham played in the Super Bowl with the Cards....I highly doubt this will happen, but its just our luck waiting to happen.

the thing about Vern is he never said or did anything to make us hate him-I mean he seems like a decent kid ya know. Never was a co cky punk-went to Haiti to try and help, took a paycut last year-very religious. He just isn't good enough-I wish him the best. It still hurts though that draft pick not being what we needed it to be. We STILL haven't gotten that 'guy' from that position that we so desperately need

the thing about Vern is he never said or did anything to make us hate him-I mean he seems like a decent kid ya know. Never was a co cky punk-went to Haiti to try and help, took a paycut last year-very religious. He just isn't good enough-I wish him the best. It still hurts though that draft pick not being what we needed it to be. We STILL haven't gotten that 'guy' from that position that we so desperately need

agreed, i keep telling people he isn't the bust. the jets scouting and coaches that picked him were. the guy went out played well, had a great combine, and got paid. i still knew he was going to suck, but i kept telling myself maybe he'll pan out. i wish he had.

Add up all the factors. It becomes surreal...

1. [seems like] He has a decent attitude

2. Was in prime shape and never got out of shape

3. Paired with a coach who has one of the best defensive minds of our time

4. In a defense which was pretty stout against the run and with a cornerback who locks down half of the field

All of this = no sacks? Something has to give.

I understand the argument that he was merely never good enough to begin with, but that's simply not true. Didn't he get 3 sacks on Jake Long in one game? Granted it was still college, but I would argue that if you can get around Jake Long in his senior year, then you should be able to beat at least a few scrub PRO left tackles.

sacks of White Castle hamburgers maybe

Not likely. As little as Gholston produced on the field, he sure takes care of his body.

Add up all the factors. It becomes surreal...

1. [seems like] He has a decent attitude

2. Was in prime shape and never got out of shape

3. Paired with a coach who has one of the best defensive minds of our time

4. In a defense which was pretty stout against the run and with a cornerback who locks down half of the field

All of this = no sacks? Something has to give.

I understand the argument that he was merely never good enough to begin with, but that's simply not true. Didn't he get 3 sacks on Jake Long in one game? Granted it was still college, but I would argue that if you can get around Jake Long in his senior year, then you should be able to beat at least a few scrub PRO left tackles.

I honestly believe that he is one of those guys that "thinks". Back when they had that BS story about LT training him, LT said:

"One of the things I told him is If you are going to mess up, mess up going full speed 100 percent," said the living legend. "We all mess up but just making sure when you do you are going all out."
Jay Glazer article

Gholston seems like his natural reaction is to try to figure out where to go and what to do rather than just doing it. It's a pretty simplistic argument, but I think it has some validity. The real problem is that I think that is instinctual, so it's not easily corrected. He should get better as he grows more comfortable, but it's not necessarily going to be like a light switch turning on. Additionally, while he is big, strong and fast, he doesn't seem "athletic". No wiggle, not smooth, stiff, can't change direction, etc.

what it comes down to in the end, the guy just doesn't have "it". He plays scared you really see it on special teams,

That's another way to put it. I think he's scared to make a mistake. I don't think he is "scared" of anybody or getting hit. You could tell when Rex had Turner pick the fight with him. Gholston's response was basically "whatever".

I'll be interested to see if he catches on somewhere else. I still think he could be a serviceable player as a 4-3 DE, but that's a big drop-off from what we wanted/expected and it doesn't seem that the guy likes football enough to hang around for a few paydays. Especially when those paydays are so small compared to what he's already gotten.

That's another way to put it. I think he's scared to make a mistake. I don't think he is "scared" of anybody or getting hit. You could tell when Rex had Turner pick the fight with him. Gholston's response was basically "whatever".

I'll be interested to see if he catches on somewhere else. I still think he could be a serviceable player as a 4-3 DE, but that's a big drop-off from what we wanted/expected and it doesn't seem that the guy likes football enough to hang around for a few paydays. Especially when those paydays are so small compared to what he's already gotten.

looking at the other Gholston thread Dom, Tyson put it best when he said that he "lacks the tenacity". That's why he's a sportswriter and I'm not...

Archived