Kyle Wilson

TNJet

Would Kyle be our #2 CB if Cromartie leaves us? Or do you guys think we would draft another CB. I personally say let Wilson start opposite Revis with Lowery helping him along the way.

If Cromartie isnt resigned the NYJETS are in trouble. Wilson needs alot of work.

Would Kyle be our #2 CB if Cromartie leaves us? Or do you guys think we would draft another CB. I personally say let Wilson start opposite Revis with Lowery helping him along the way.

I don't think that you should expect a drafted CB to start over Wilson. There are plenty of other FA CBs they could sign. Like Bit I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted another CB, but it would have to be a very good value to be in the 1st.

I actually think he'll be better served playing against a 1 way release near the sideline instead of in the slot.

I agree with this. The slot is a difficult position to cover. He could be better served having the sideline to help him.

I'm somewhat concerned about him, though, because CB is a position that a player should be able to play at a decent level as a rookie on physical skill alone. Wilson just might not have it.

I agree with this. The slot is a difficult position to cover. He could be better served having the sideline to help him.

I'm somewhat concerned about him, though, because CB is a position that a player should be able to play at a decent level as a rookie on physical skill alone. Wilson just might not have it.

Crazy talk slats. That's just not true...or anymore true than any other position minus maybe RB. The speed, technique, scheme, reads, it's all there at CB just as much as with anything else. This is why I try to stay away from fan agruments a lot of times on those "who's getting burned when/where etc, etc". Very rarely are these guys in just straight up man (follow that guy til the plays over) ...even in Rex's scheme. Were talking one, two, maybe three pre snap reads and then sometimes multiple reads after the snap as well. All I'm saying is that I truly believe (as with most rookies heading into their second year...at least the ones who care) he will be A LOT better, A LOT more confident. A LOT more comfortable than he was last year.

Crazy talk slats. That's just not true...or anymore true than any other position minus maybe RB. The speed, technique, scheme, reads, it's all there at CB just as much as with anything else. This is why I try to stay away from fan agruments a lot of times on those "who's getting burned when/where etc, etc". Very rarely are these guys in just straight up man (follow that guy til the plays over) ...even in Rex's scheme. Were talking one, two, maybe three pre snap reads and then sometimes multiple reads after the snap as well. All I'm saying is that I truly believe (as with most rookies heading into their second year...at least the ones who care) he will be A LOT better, A LOT more confident. A LOT more comfortable than he was last year.

I agree that RB is the easiest position to make the transition (hence worries about McKnight), but CB is second easiest - especially in a system like Rex's that has CB's playing man a good portion of the time. I'm not saying he's a bust based on one year's work. He was put in a difficult position with Revis' holdout. But I definitely would've liked to've seen more.

I thought he played alright as the year went on.

I agree that RB is the easiest position to make the transition (hence worries about McKnight), but CB is second easiest - especially in a system like Rex's that has CB's playing man a good portion of the time. I'm not saying he's a bust based on one year's work. He was put in a difficult position with Revis' holdout. But I definitely would've liked to've seen more.

Rex' system is the worst for CBs though. He pretty much tells you to go one on one with the other team's top WRs while the Jets pretend to pass rush. Revis just happens to be a top 3 CB in the league so he can do it. Hell if we got one of the others in the top 3 I guess they could do it too. But that's pretty much it, there are 3 guys in the league that can play CB1 for Rex. Now for CB2, there are more guys, and they are almost all CB1s on the other teams that those 3 guys aren't on.

Cro happens to be a CB1. He's not Revis level for sure, but he's easily a CB1 for at least a dozen teams in the league. And we have him as our CB2, or had him.

I think what we need is pass rushers instead, and to provide help for our cover guys. That's how we flustered Brady incidentally, by using coverage schemes. You can't always use them, but they're sure as hell more effective than blitzes that never get anywhere all the time.

Based on last year's performance, Wilson is definitely going to need help covering the #2 wide receiver, and there goes our advantage in having the opponent's top two receivers covered man-to-man.

I would take the chance of developing more effective schemes with the extra defensive men who will NOT be devoted to covering the #1 and #2 receivers than I would with having a single good pass rusher but having to use extra db's to play zone on the receivers, like everyone else has to.

When you have a force like Revis, you maximize it by having both the opponent's receivers covered man-to-man.

The only real worry I have is the fact that Revis seemed to write him off in some interviews he did when he lobbied for Cro or Aso. Other than that, a corner not playing much or playing well as a rookie isnt that out of the ordinary. There have been alot of good players who didnt play early on.

The only real worry I have is the fact that Revis seemed to write him off in some interviews he did when he lobbied for Cro or Aso. Other than that, a corner not playing much or playing well as a rookie isnt that out of the ordinary. There have been alot of good players who didnt play early on.

We're talking about the same Revis who said this in September shortly after signing his new deal:

If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we’ll probably be back at that same position we were this year.

I don't care what he has to say. The only opinion that matters on Wilson is Rex Ryan's.

Archived