James Harrison goes off, again.

Matt39

James Harrison rips Roger Goodell

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") -- and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

James Harrison is a complete a$$hole. There isn't even any debate about it. Frankly, more than anything it's an embarrassment to his fellow players to have to be associated with this piece of crap. If they don't want to look like a complete joke, the NFLPA should be doing something about this themselves. Even if a point or two he makes is actually valid, it's completely erased away by all of the ridiculous nonsense he spews.

James Harrison is a complete a$$hole. There isn't even any debate about it. Frankly, more than anything it's an embarrassment to his fellow players to have to be associated with this piece of crap. If they don't want to look like a complete joke, the NFLPA should be doing something about this themselves. Even if a point or two he makes is actually valid, it's completely erased away by all of the ridiculous nonsense he spews.

Other than the race angle regarding concussions, the points are all valid. Presentation needs work, however.

Other than the race angle regarding concussions, the points are all valid. Presentation needs work, however.

His little spoiled child temper tantrum about Goodell isn't valid regardless what you think of the guy (and I'm certainly not a fan). In the real world Harrison's unemployed right there on it's own. His attempts to throw two of his offensive teammates under the bus for a Super Bowl loss that featured his "vaunted" defense give up plenty of points, including numerous matching scores while the Steelers were trying to mount a comeback, is spineless and pathetic. The race angle is just ridiculous, and besides, you can ask Eric Smith how the preferential treatment for being a white guy works for you in that scenario, considering he's the only guy in the league who's been suspended for a hit (one he wasn't even flagged for mind you). And that's just scratching the surface, so why the hell should anyone listen to what this pile of used douche has to say? Besides, what is this great point that he's allegedly making anyway? That less time playing football will lead to less injuries? Yeah, that's real inspiring stuff, I can't imagine how he came to that miraculous conclusion. And the fact that he's trying to justify his head shots to opposing players as being some sort of favor to them because their contracts aren't guaranteed is a joke, so let's not even try to act like that's a valid point.

The guy's an embarrassment to both the players and the league.

His little spoiled child temper tantrum about Goodell isn't valid regardless what you think of the guy (and I'm certainly not a fan). In the real world Harrison's unemployed right there on it's own. His attempts to throw two of his offensive teammates under the bus for a Super Bowl loss that featured his "vaunted" defense give up plenty of points, including numerous matching scores while the Steelers were trying to mount a comeback, is spineless and pathetic. The race angle is just ridiculous, and besides, you can ask Eric Smith how the preferential treatment for being a white guy works for you in that scenario, considering he's the only guy in the league who's been suspended for a hit (one he wasn't even flagged for mind you). And that's just scratching the surface, so why the hell should anyone listen to what this pile of used douche has to say? Besides, what is this great point that he's allegedly making anyway? That less time playing football will lead to less injuries? Yeah, that's real inspiring stuff, I can't imagine how he came to that miraculous conclusion. And the fact that he's trying to justify his head shots to opposing players as being some sort of favor to them because their contracts aren't guaranteed is a joke, so let's not even try to act like that's a valid point.

That was the first thing I thought of, too.

Other than that, I'm starting to wonder if you hate your new job as much as you hated your old one.

That was the first thing I thought of, too.

Other than that, I'm starting to wonder if you hate your new job as much as you hated your old one.

Not at all, but if you're referring to my frequency here, as it turns out the ridiculous pace I learned to work at while at my old job has kept me a bit ahead of the game in terms of my new job workload. So yeah, here I am. If you're referring to my disposition as opposed to my frequency here, I can assure you that's completely unrelated to work.

I pictured you holding a staff and screaming "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" while I read this.

OK Rodney, let's shorten the season to 14 games. Are you ready to take a pay cut?

Rodney is an ahole too, but the player in the article is James Harrison. ;)

JH is right about one thing: Goodell is a puppet. If the NFL had a real commish there'd be a new CBA weeks ago.

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison let loose on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and teammate Ben Roethlisberger in a recent interview with Men's Journal, labeling Goodell a "crook", "dictator", "puppet" and used an anti-gay slur for fining him $100,000.

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," said Harrison, who felt targeted in Goodell's attempts to eradicate big, violent hits from the game last season. "I hate him and will never respect him."

Harrison, 33, posed for a the magazine holding a pistol and a revolver, locked in on Roethlisberger as well, responding to a question about the quarterback's two interceptions in February's Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again," Harrison said. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

In 2008, Harrison was named the league's defensive player of the year, but he collected one sack in the Super Bowl loss. Roethlisberger, who accepted blame for the dismal play after the game, recorded 263 passing yards in the Super Bowl, his third. Harrison also laid blame on tailback Rashard Mendenhall for being limited to 63 rushing yards.

Harrison saved his calmest comments for Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it," Harrison said. "You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his a$$, and Goodell would smile and say thank you."

The Best quote

On the 2004 season:

“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”

I like him. He punishes people on the field and he has raw emotion. Sorta like Bart Scott. Has he had off field issues?

The Best quote

On the 2004 season:

“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”

This reminds the first time my mother told me the truth. "Your not husky or big boned, your fat, go for a jog you fat ****". Truth hurts but it's still the truth.

This reminds the first time my mother told me the truth. "Your not husky or big boned, your fat, go for a jog you fat ****". Truth hurts but it's still the truth.

So, the other stuff he says is junk, but this tid-bit is right on? Typical.

So, the Patriots beat the Steelers - again - in the playoff's and it's because of stolen signals? Interesting. How did they score 27 points then? You mean a rookie qb couldn't possibly make mistakes and melt under the playoff pressure? In 2001 - how exactly did the two special teams td's - that won the game -be a benefactor of stolen signals?

For the upteenth time: the Pats were busted for 1) taping from the wrong part of the field and 2) because arrogant Belichick kept doing it after he was told to stop.

However, Jets fans enjoy holding onto the better, albeit wrong, version. Haters keep on hatin'.

So, the Patriots beat the Steelers - again - in the playoff's and it's because of stolen signals? Interesting. How did they score 27 points then? You mean a rookie qb couldn't possibly make mistakes and melt under the playoff pressure? In 2001 - how exactly did the two special teams td's - that won the game -be a benefactor of stolen signals?

For the upteenth time: the Pats were busted for 1) taping from the wrong part of the field and 2) because arrogant Belichick kept doing it after he was told to stop.

However, Jets fans enjoy holding onto the better, albeit wrong, version. Haters keep on hatin'.

Everything he said is spot on. Roger Goodell hates the black man and small white boys too. Goodell had to hide the evidence for the greater good of the league. 500,000 fines aren't givin out for no reason. Those tapes would not have burned if they had episodes of Chico and the Man on them. It's ok, only your team is evil not you.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong about this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/14/sports/football/14patriots.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-patshistory020108

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/05/19/us-nfl-spygate-lawsuit-idUSTRE64I6CG20100519

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/03/12/out-damned-spot.html

You will not find a single mention of where the taping occurred from in any of those articles, or any other articles you might find from legitimate news sources anywhere. You've made this fallacy up in your head to justify the Pats illegitmately achieved titles.

As fans, we should embrace athletes like this. This guy clearly isnt just playing for the money like most of you middle aged folks complain about.

Is he nuts? Sure, but you need to be nuts to play linebacker in the NFL. He's an old school guy through and through.

As fans, we should embrace athletes like this. This guy clearly isnt just playing for the money like most of you middle aged folks complain about.

Is he nuts? Sure, but you need to be nuts to play linebacker in the NFL. He's an old school guy through and through.

Word. He's the anti-Gholston.

Also, if Bart Scott said the same things--replacing the Roethlisberger criticism with Sanchez criticism--people on this board would start a B.Scott for President campaign.

Word. He's the anti-Gholston.

Also, if Bart Scott said the same things--replacing the Roethlisberger criticism with Sanchez criticism--people on this board would start a B.Scott for President campaign.

Outside of having big mouths there could not be anything less alike about Scott and Harrison. If he pulled the crap Harrison did I would feel the same way about it, but that wouldn't happen because the guy is actually a quality teammate. The guy has nothing but the best to say about his teammates, even some of the guys who to this point have been disappointments. The closest thing Scott has ever done to this would be his Patriots post-game rant, and they're nowhere even close to the same ballpark. Harrison couldn't possibly be more self-absorbed while Scott is the guy who is thrilled to take on a OL head on so his teammates can make the more glorious stat-padding plays. There's plenty of ways to be a committed, emotional player without being one of the biggest whiniest assholes walking.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA I love the Steelers implosion.

Lets do a checklist:

• Ben Rapistberger accused of Rape last summer in a random Dive Bathroom in Georgia
  • Rashard Mendenhall takes Bin Laden's side and accuses the USA of orchestrating 9/11
  • Hines Ward get cited for DUI last week in Georgia
  • James Harrison throws teammates under the bus when he himself had only 1 tackle in the SuperBowl

Keep it up Steelers, Im about sick and tired of hearing about how classy that organization is and how the y do it the right way. They employ nothing but rapists, whiners and thug turds extraordinaire.

Outside of having big mouths there could not be anything less alike about Scott and Harrison. If he pulled the crap Harrison did I would feel the same way about it, but that wouldn't happen because the guy is actually a quality teammate. The guy has nothing but the best to say about his teammates, even some of the guys who to this point have been disappointments. The closest thing Scott has ever done to this would be his Patriots post-game rant, and they're nowhere even close to the same ballpark. Harrison couldn't possibly be more self-absorbed while Scott is the guy who is thrilled to take on a OL head on so his teammates can make the more glorious stat-padding plays. There's plenty of ways to be a committed, emotional player without being one of the biggest whiniest assholes walking.

He's whining about getting fined playing football. He's just the only one that doesnt give an F about the league and has no problem speaking on it.

He's whining about getting fined playing football. He's just the only one that doesnt give an F about the league and has no problem speaking on it.

He's whining about getting fined playing football, but you left out the part where it's because the NFL is apparently racist against him. Even if you somehow agree with that absurdity, that still doesn't explain his need to sh*t talk teammates, players on other teams, and commentators to name a few. The guy is a giant douchebag and a whiny little spoiled brat of a child to boot. It's times like this that I think it's unfortunate professional sports leagues are the way they are, because in any other profession in the world right now he'd be unemployed and deservedly so.

I didn't say Bart was like Harrison. I said that if Bart issued the same statements, the majority of this board would be talking about what a great leader Bart Scott is and how great it is that he's holding teammates accountable, especially if he produced like James Harrison produced. Try and deny that would be the angle most would take.

He's whining about getting fined playing football, but you left out the part where it's because the NFL is apparently racist against him. Even if you somehow agree with that absurdity, that still doesn't explain his need to sh*t talk teammates, players on other teams, and commentators to name a few. The guy is a giant douchebag and a whiny little spoiled brat of a child to boot. It's times like this that I think it's unfortunate professional sports leagues are the way they are, because in any other profession in the world right now he'd be unemployed and deservedly so.

So we're going this route now?

The race angle was stupid, but if that's how he feels, whatever. It doesn't change the fact the guy is a passionate football player. I didnt read this piece as him whining. He's speaking his mind. And in the age if the Derek Jeter quote- its refreshing.

To be a successful defensive player at that level you need some James Harrison in you.

I didn't say Bart was like Harrison. I said that if Bart issued the same statements, the majority of this board would be talking about what a great leader Bart Scott is and how great it is that he's holding teammates accountable. Try and deny that would be the angle most would take.

Maybe some would, but I can assure you I'd be sitting here arguing with those people this same way and saying what a giant douche Scott was. This isn't limited to football, I just absolutely no respect whatsoever for people like that.

Maybe some would, but I can assure you I'd be sitting here arguing with those people this same way and saying what a giant douche Scott was. This isn't limited to football, I just absolutely no respect whatsoever for people like that.

Fair enough, bro.

Archived