Why Asomugha Makes Sense

Doggin94it

His number 2 weapon would be Cotchery. His number 3 weapon would be Keller (who, remember, was putting up all-pro numbers when he was the number 3 target in the offense those first 4 weeks, and faded once Santonio came aboard and sucked up the targets). Stuckey would be a No. 4 target (or 5, behind LT)

Either way, it's a downgrade. Sanchez doesn't need a downgrade. The defense can afford it much better than the offense can.

Braylon will come in a few million cheaper than Aso, too, leaving a lot more money to spend on a decent #2 CB than we'd have for a decent #2 WR if we signed Aso instead.

In other words, signing Braylon doesn't hurt the defense as much as signing Aso hurts the offense.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's putting it out there that he wants to play for the Jets. So other teams will need to offer him more to get him to go to their team.

Jeez...I'm glad none of you knuckleheads are my agent.

OK.makes sense.but i still think tanny gets his man

Either way, it's a downgrade. Sanchez doesn't need a downgrade. The defense can afford it much better than the offense can.

Braylon will come in a few million cheaper than Aso, too, leaving a lot more money to spend on a decent #2 CB than we'd have for a decent #2 WR if we signed Aso instead.

The offense will still be better than it was during the first 4 weeks of last season, when we averaged 26 points per game. (same offense, except with Santonio instead of Braylon, and a new 3rd WR instead of Brad Smith). Do you disagree? Do you not think 26 points per game are enough?

The offense will be more than good enough with a 3rd WR type, IMO.

His number 2 weapon would be Cotchery. His number 3 weapon would be Keller (who, remember, was putting up all-pro numbers when he was the number 3 target in the offense those first 4 weeks, and faded once Santonio came aboard and sucked up the targets). Stuckey would be a No. 4 target (or 5, behind LT)

Cotchery stinks... he's dog food

In other words, signing Braylon doesn't hurt the defense as much as signing Aso hurts the offense.

That's the heart of our disagreement - I think Cotchery more than fits the bill as a "decent No. 2 receiver"

Why?

He's interested in playing here, obviously, but you think being the #2 man in the best CB duo in history is a big deal to him? Please.... He wouldn't be interested in signing here if he didn't think he could win a Super Bowl here. SF is more of a longshot in that regard, so they'll have to come up with more cash. I don't think a better CB opposite him would make much of a difference in his decision making process.

man,you have an argument for every argument.i am pretty sure they would be 1a and 1b and would be completely interchangeable

Not really, you're advocating to be allowed to be a fan and root for something to happen that might not be in the team best intrests... like having pennington start

Diminishing returns though.. For that kind of cash, is it better to get a little better on defense then a lot better on offense?

How many wins do we add moving from allowing 16 pts per game to 15.5?

Unless you are predicting we're entering 00 Ravens territory with this move

Aso makes the Jets a better team. Maybe there's another way to make the Jets even better. But, the same cannot be said about Pennington.

I think the move could potentially make us an all time great D. Maybe not 2000 Ravens, but in that type of conversation.

Aso makes the Jets a better team. Maybe there's another way to make the Jets even better. But, the same cannot be said about Pennington.

I think the move could potentially make us an all time great D. Maybe not 2000 Ravens, but in that type of conversation.

I have just 1 question who the hell starts at FS, and who the hell backs him and Leohnard up?

The offense will still be better than it was during the first 4 weeks of last season, when we averaged 26 points per game. (same offense, except with Santonio instead of Braylon, and a new 3rd WR instead of Brad Smith). Do you disagree? Do you not think 26 points per game are enough?

The offense will be more than good enough with a 3rd WR type, IMO.

The Jets burst out of the gate last year (which they did the year before as well), but only averaged 23 points a game for the whole season. If they could maintain that 26 points a game, it would be nice - but it still wouldn't make the offense as good as the defense already is.

Offense would be much better with a #2 type WR, and maybe even a legitimate championship caliber offense with a #1 type.

Meanwhile, the defense has proven over the last couple years that it's plenty more than good enough with a #2 type CB.

Lombardi on NFLN says Jets willing to go 12 m a year on Nnamdi, and Niners are willing to outbid so it will come down to Aso's call. Also said, sounds like decisions will be made in the next 12 hours!!!

excitingggg timeeee

sounds like we will find out shortly is nnamdi wants to win or values top $$ more

Lombardi on NFLN says Jets willing to go 12 m a year on Nnamdi, and Niners are willing to outbid so it will come down to Aso's call. Also said, sounds like decisions will be made in the next 12 hours!!!

excitingggg timeeee

Asinine. Cue Revis holdout in 3... 2...

That's the heart of our disagreement - I think Cotchery more than fits the bill as a "decent No. 2 receiver"

Cotchery's coming off a couple injuries, including his back. I've always been a fan, but I can't see depending on him to be a reliable #2 WR at this point.

Completely disagree. He played hurt last year; his track record prior to 2010 was damn good. He's only 29 years old. I'd bet 2010 was an aberration, not the start of a long decline.

+ 1.the jets have a more than capable offense as we speak if sanchez can improve.lots of people are screaming for receiver overkill and dont want to hear revis and nnamdi overkill

The Jets burst out of the gate last year (which they did the year before as well), but only averaged 23 points a game for the whole season. If they could maintain that 26 points a game, it would be nice - but it still wouldn't make the offense as good as the defense already is.

Offense would be much better with a #2 type WR, and maybe even a legitimate championship caliber offense with a #1 type.

Meanwhile, the defense has proven over the last couple years that it's plenty more than good enough with a #2 type CB.

Only five teams in the NFL averaged more than 26 points per game last year. 26 PPG would make the Jets an elite scoring offense. Hell, at 22.9 they were in the top half of the league.

The Jets allowed 19 points per game last year.

Which would be easier to improve upon?

If adding Nnamdi helps drop that number to 15, which isn't unrealistic at all, and the Jets scored at around the same average they did last year, they will be looking at 13-14 wins.

agreed, was only comparing in terms of the "just let me be a fan" aspect

Only five teams in the NFL averaged more than 26 points per game last year. 26 PPG would make the Jets an elite scoring offense. Hell, at 22.9 they were in the top half of the league.

The Jets allowed 19 points per game last year.

Which would be easier to improve upon?

If adding Nnamdi helps drop that number to 15, which isn't unrealistic at all, and the Jets scored at around the same average they did last year, they will be looking at 13-14 wins.

That's unrealistic. If we were talking about an all world pass rusher, it might be a different story. But we're talking about adding an elite player where all we need is a good starter. It's a complete waste of talent and resources to have this guy covering Deion Branch, Davon Bess, et al. Just don't see the same sort of impact. At all.

If Sanchez is better we will make the super bowl with or without Asomugha too

Agreed, but I'd also say the same about Edwards (whom I want re-signed).

Sanchez improving will have a bigger impact than re-signing Holmes or signing Aso.

That's unrealistic. If we were talking about an all world pass rusher, it might be a different story. But we're talking about adding an elite player where all we need is a good starter. It's a complete waste of talent and resources to have this guy covering Deion Branch, Davon Bess, et al. Just don't see the same sort of impact. At all.

Actually, we'd be getting him to cover Mike Wallace.

agreed, was only comparing in terms of the "just let me be a fan" aspect

Fan with intentions of improving the team vs. fan with intentions of having another year of dump offs aren't the same to me.

Many ways to improve the team. Impossible to know which would be better. And either move will make us better.

I'd be happy either way, as I really like Braylon, but Doggin's points all resonate, and it would be pretty bad a$$ to see what Rex could do with these two guys.

Who was playing corner opposite Revis last year again? Don Boyd Odegard?

And how is it unrealistic? You're only talking about holding a team to a FG instead of a TD once a game which is not unrealistic at all when no one is close to being open in the red zone.

You don't get Aso so he can cover Deion Branch. You get Aso so Bart Scott isn't forced to cover Danny Woodhead.

And how is it unrealistic? You're only talking about holding a team to a FG instead of a TD once a game which is not unrealistic at all when no one is close to being open in the red zone.

It's unrealistic. You're talking about averages, not one game. And, as I've said repeatedly, I don't see Aso making that much of an impact as the #2 CB on this team. How many teams will the Jets be facing next year with a great #2 WR that needs to be shut down?

Much more realistic to try to get the offense to score four more points than to try to get the defense to give up 4 fewer points. The offense has much more room to improve.

What could he do with Asomugha that he couldn't do with Cromartie?

Maybe I'm not as high on Cromartie as some others. I remember seeing him victimized from time to time. He was good for us, but it wasn't like we had a special player out there. Aso would be that.

A guy who isn't close to being as good as Nnamdi.

I think there's a lot of Francisco Rodriguez Syndrome going on here. Everyone hears about the player but they never actually see the player, and people create a mythology about that player until they actually see them, and then they say "Oh."

Archived