Weatherford, Am I the Only One Who Wants Him Back?

Warfish

I completely agree. Guy has some consistency issues, but the fact is that punting in the NFL today is HORRIBLE, and he's certainly better than most. All you need to do is look back a few years to see how we would go through one horrible punter after another who couldn't break a 40 yard punting average to know how bad it could be. I have no problem with the Jets making him fight for his job, and the team clearly likes Conley based on this being his third year back, but I'd at least bring him back and let those two fight it out.

I thought he was quite good last year, in the majority.

I know punters (kickers of all kind) are universally hated, and always (by fans) ready to be replaced, but I think resigning Weatherford would be good for us.

Agree 100 %

I completely agree. Guy has some consistency issues, but the fact is that punting in the NFL today is HORRIBLE, and he's certainly better than most. All you need to do is look back a few years to see how we would go through one horrible punter after another who couldn't break a 40 yard punting average to know how bad it could be. I have no problem with the Jets making him fight for his job, and the team clearly likes Conley based on this being his third year back, but I'd at least bring him back and let those two fight it out.

Yep 3rd year back yet no other teams signed him ... at least i think no teams signed him

Weatherford is a great punter if you're already winning field position battles, because he can coffin corner like few punters I've ever seen.

However, on days when the offense is sputtering, he's an awful punter to have because he can't nail those 55 yarders. He has one of the weakest legs of any punter in the game.

Overall I think the benefits outweigh his downfalls, but if we lose him it wouldn't bother me much.

CBSSportsNFLNYJ RapidReports

by LisaZimmerman

#jets Punter Weatherford likely gone http://bit.ly/pPCIiU

14 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

The link says they are going with TJ Conley and a free agent to compete with him. They liked Conley last camp, maybe they like his make up better than Weatherford's.

Weatherford had a crappy ply offs

Weatherford is a great punter if you're already winning field position battles, because he can coffin corner like few punters I've ever seen.

However, on days when the offense is sputtering, he's an awful punter to have because he can't nail those 55 yarders. He has one of the weakest legs of any punter in the game.

Overall I think the benefits outweigh his downfalls, but if we lose him it wouldn't bother me much.

I agree with this. Maybe this Conley kid is a boomer. That would be a nice change of pace.

Well they're clearly big fans of Conley considering this is the third camp they're bringing him back for, and if I remember correctly it was Westhoff last year who was quoted as talking about how he feels that it takes punters a few years to get acclimated to the NFL just because of building up strength and getting more consistent. At the time that made me think he clearly was a big fan of Conley but thought the kid just wasn't quite there yet. So I'd imagine they're giving him a real shot to win the job this year, which that alone might have been enough to keep Weatherford from wanting to come back, since I'm sure there will be some team out there more than glad to give him their punting job. Hopefully it all works out in the end, because despite his issues Weatherford was still better than a whole lot of former Jets punters, and I don't want to go back to that mess again.

The guy was absolutely terrible in the playoffs. I say good riddance.

For a team that puts a lot of value in a good running game and defense, and relies on field position as much as we do, you'd think the Jets would splurge a little on a solid punter.

I think they'd be glad to, but I'm not sure if there's any position in football that sees less quality players hit free agency than punter. The fact is punting in the NFL has gotten so god awful, that teams never let go once they get their hands on a good one. Just ask the Giants about that one, there's a reason they kept Feagles around into his 60s and look at how things went for them last year without him. That's why the Jets are now on year three of trying to groom their own young home-grown talent in Conley.

He was #1 in the NFL in pinning teams back behind the 20.

He was average in the NFL (15th if I recall) in Net Punting.

His gross average was low, admitted, he isn't a boomer per se, but his average also suffered because the Jets O once again was one that could gain a bunch of yeards, but not enough to score as much as perchance they should. When your punter is kicking from midfield or less often, his average will suffer as that field position does not call for booming, but for punt placement, and Weatherford is as good as any in the league at punt location and corner kicking.

If one just looks at his average, he could be dismissed, but that number alone doesn't tell the whole tale.

With that said, I do admit, he was less than steller when it counted, in the post-season. Not horrible, just very hot/cold.

Still, I like him, and would like him back. Last thing I want on a potential championship team is to give the punter job to a kid who has never kicked a punt in anger in his career as yet. A sure thing like Weatherford > a total unknown like the kid.

Guess it comes down to cost too, of course.

He was #1 in the NFL in pinning teams back behind the 20.

He was average in the NFL (15th if I recall) in Net Punting.

His gross average was low, admitted, he isn't a boomer per se, but his average also suffered because the Jets O once again was one that could gain a bunch of yeards, but not enough to score as much as perchance they should. When your punter is kicking from midfield or less often, his average will suffer as that field position does not call for booming, but for punt placement, and Weatherford is as good as any in the league at punt location and corner kicking.

If one just looks at his average, he could be dismissed, but that number alone doesn't tell the whole tale.

With that said, I do admit, he was less than steller when it counted, in the post-season. Not horrible, just very hot/cold.

Still, I like him, and would like him back. Last thing I want on a potential championship team is to give the punter job to a kid who has never kicked a punt in anger in his career as yet. A sure thing like Weatherford > a total unknown like the kid.

Guess it comes down to cost too, of course.

Agree with this, but if nothing else I feel confident whoever the Jets have at punter will be better than the Giants'.

I want him back. He was golden the entire year, and I think led the league in punts within the 20. He had a couple bad games around playoff time, but that's forgivable. Please bring him back. It would be a tragedy to let this guy go.

Archived