Here's The Jets' Salary Cap Numbers By Player

SoFlaJets

I'd cut Brunell, restructure Sanchez, Get Braylon back home and pray that Nnamdi will take 11-12 mill a year to play across Revis

Villain I have been lurking on this board for some time now. You seem like a great guy, you remind me of this kid Willie that I grew up with. He could run like the wind and he always had our back. That's how the old neighborhood was, you had each others backs.

Remember when things worked like that?

You are wrong about Braylon. I have thought about this much since I recently have some free time on my hands. Braylon isn't a mover and shaker, he isn't a game changer like Santonio. My man, Mike T, got this one right.

Anyone remember when we were worried about the accountant turned GM?

I hope we are still cool though Villian, I just disagree with your premise.

There's really not a lot they can do with Sanchez without extending his deal - and I doubt either side is ready for an extension yet.

He only has three years left on his current contract. His salary this year is over $14M. What they would do in a simple restructure is convert a portion of that salary into bonus money to spread it out over the rest of the deal.

So, say they could convert $12M into bonus money. That would clear $8M from this year's cap, but add $4M to each of the next two years'. It looks like they've created a deal with Holmes that's low this year by design (with Mark's deal in mind), but the big money has to come eventually - and the last thing they need is having Mark's number be higher next year.

If they really need the money next year, they can do a simple restructure then at a time when stretching money to the following year won't hurt as much because Mark's salary drops from $8M in 2012 to $4M. Then in 2013, they'll likely extend him in a way that gives him a low first year number.

Villain I have been lurking on this board for some time now. You seem like a great guy, you remind me of this kid Willie that I grew up with. He could run like the wind and he always had our back. That's how the old neighborhood was, you had each others backs.

Remember when things worked like that?

You are wrong about Braylon. I have thought about this much since I recently have some free time on my hands. Braylon isn't a mover and shaker, he isn't a game changer like Santonio. My man, Mike T, got this one right.

Anyone remember when we were worried about the accountant turned GM?

I hope we are still cool though Villian, I just disagree with your premise.

Thanks for the kind words ham. Its cool to have your view point on the situation. I'd like Braylon back because I believe that h'd be a better #2 (or #1 if Santonio gets hurt) than Randy would. Also, Sanchez likes him which imo is important when it comes to that chemistry.

I think that locking up Santonio first was the correct thing to do. Overall his a better talent. But there are things that Braylon has (bigger taller target who has great hops) that can only be a good thing for our offense.

Who would you rather have opposite Santonio? Also, would you cut Brunell and restructure Sanchez....would you do more cutting/restructuring?

Tell Willie I said what up! lol.

There's really not a lot they can do with Sanchez without extending his deal - and I doubt either side is ready for an extension yet.

He only has three years left on his current contract. His salary this year is over $14M. What they would do in a simple restructure is convert a portion of that salary into bonus money to spread it out over the rest of the deal.

So, say they could convert $12M into bonus money. That would clear $8M from this year's cap, but add $4M to each of the next two years'. It looks like they've created a deal with Holmes that's low this year by design (with Mark's deal in mind), but the big money has to come eventually - and the last thing they need is having Mark's number be higher next year.

If they really need the money next year, they can do a simple restructure then at a time when stretching money to the following year won't hurt as much because Mark's salary drops from $8M in 2012 to $4M. Then in 2013, they'll likely extend him in a way that gives him a low first year number.

You have some good points, however, if we can get a championship this year then we can let some of these guys go....granted, it'll have to happen anyway. Sanchez can restructure this year and do an extension next year. Either way, Tanny figures it out year after year.

The deal was pretty much made with a 1 year extension in mind for cap purposes. What the team would likely do is add 1 or 2 years at the end of the contract solely to spread out the bonus money, similar to what they just did with Revis. Those years would never occur- either put in super high salaries to force the Jets to cut him/renegotiate a real extension or allow the years to void. What I would imagine the team would do is add 1 season onto the deal and pay Sanchez a 10 million dollar bonus at the start of the year and reduce his cap charge to 10.25 million. They would also take a large portion of his salary from 2012, guarantee a small portion of it, and put it in 2013, where he has a low base salary. After 2012 they would likely sign him to an extension anyway so the money pushed into 2013 and 2014 is meaningless.

The deal was pretty much made with a 1 year extension in mind for cap purposes. What the team would likely do is add 1 or 2 years at the end of the contract solely to spread out the bonus money, similar to what they just did with Revis. Those years would never occur- either put in super high salaries to force the Jets to cut him/renegotiate a real extension or allow the years to void. What I would imagine the team would do is add 1 season onto the deal and pay Sanchez a 10 million dollar bonus at the start of the year and reduce his cap charge to 10.25 million. They would also take a large portion of his salary from 2012, guarantee a small portion of it, and put it in 2013, where he has a low base salary. After 2012 they would likely sign him to an extension anyway so the money pushed into 2013 and 2014 is meaningless.

Bottom line Jason: can the Jets afford Braylon and Aso?

Bottom line Jason: can the Jets afford Braylon and Aso?

I highly doubt it. Its not this year that the problem it would be 1 or 2 years down the line. Signing too many of these guys is going to force the Jets to play as a shell of a team. The Jets already have 87 million commited in 2012 and 63 in 2013. Granted a few guys will go, but those numbers dont include Holmes yet or a Harris extension or the rookies. Thats probably 20 million at least there. Thats for basically 40 players under contract, many of whom are UDFA types, im 2012. Its only 25 or so players in 2013, mainly UDFAs. So I cant see how it can happen.

My own opinion is that the Aso thing is nuts. Thats Woody looking for a splash. You have a defensive head coach, who is very good at what he does, you just spent your last 2 number 1 draft picks on defense, you have the best corner in the NFL, and a very good pair of ILBs. Youve been one of the top defenses in the NFL the last two years. You should not be going out and spending 12 million per year on another corner. You will never see the Patriots go out and spend a bazillion dollars on wide receivers because the QB is great. They know the QB is the strength so they spread the wealth elsewhere. It should be the same theory here. Ryan and Revis are Tom Brady. You dont have to spend like drunk sailors on defense. Its wasted money based on the return you get. Now if the Jets are sold that Sanchez is going to be the next superstar you dont need Braylon either, but I cant see how they can be convinced of that. He probably needs the pieces. Ryan absolutely does not.

I highly doubt it. Its not this year that the problem it would be 1 or 2 years down the line. Signing too many of these guys is going to force the Jets to play as a shell of a team. The Jets already have 87 million commited in 2012 and 63 in 2013. Granted a few guys will go, but those numbers dont include Holmes yet or a Harris extension or the rookies. Thats probably 20 million at least there. Thats for basically 40 players under contract, many of whom are UDFA types, im 2012. Its only 25 or so players in 2013, mainly UDFAs. So I cant see how it can happen.

My own opinion is that the Aso thing is nuts. Thats Woody looking for a splash. You have a defensive head coach, who is very good at what he does, you just spent your last 2 number 1 draft picks on defense, you have the best corner in the NFL, and a very good pair of ILBs. Youve been one of the top defenses in the NFL the last two years. You should not be going out and spending 12 million per year on another corner. You will never see the Patriots go out and spend a bazillion dollars on wide receivers because the QB is great. They know the QB is the strength so they spread the wealth elsewhere. It should be the same theory here. Ryan and Revis are Tom Brady. You dont have to spend like drunk sailors on defense. Its wasted money based on the return you get. Now if the Jets are sold that Sanchez is going to be the next superstar you dont need Braylon either, but I cant see how they can be convinced of that. He probably needs the pieces. Ryan absolutely does not.

I want to rep this moar.

GREAT POST-I totally agree on the assessment on whether Aso is even needed, not the numbers part I leave that up to smarter folks than myself

Couldn't possibly agree with this any more. Very well said Jason. Sure there are lovely little dreams about what a Revis/Asomugha pairing could mean for the D, but the reality of it really is infeasible in a salary-capped league.

Couldn't possibly agree with this any more. Very well said Jason. Sure there are lovely little dreams about what a Revis/Asomugha pairing could mean for the D, but the reality of it really is infeasible in a salary-capped league.

Doesn't this one sort of smack of the Brett Favre move BG? Jason's right, this is Woody wanting to make a splash and we all know how that last big one worked out...like crusher doing a bellyflop in the kiddie pool

Doesn't this one sort of smack of the Brett Favre move BG? Jason's right, this is Woody wanting to make a splash and we all know how that last big one worked out...like crusher doing a bellyflop in the kiddie pool

I agree, but this one might be even worse. At least with the Favre move there was some justification in regards to the fact that the Jets had a whole lot of nothing at the QB position, Pennington was fragile as can be and proved a complete inability to win in the postseason, and the offense as a whole was a joke. So on top of wanting to make a splash (which certainly played into it a lot), it was also a desperation move to try get to the next level. Now granted it didn't work out, but there was something more to it there, and there wasn't a whole lot of risk involved as it didn't really cost the Jets anything outside of the draft pick traded and Pennington. In this case, you're already talking about a top level defense that is certainly not what's keeping the Jets from taking that next step, and the move they're looking to make would have a significant impact on the roster overall for years to come. The Favre move turned out to be pretty stupid and didn't work out at all (aside from finally getting rid of Chad), but there was at least some sense behind it. While Asomugha would no doubt be a significantly better player for the Jets, I just don't see the justification for it, based on all of the other factors involved.

I agree, but this one might be even worse. At least with the Favre move there was some justification in regards to the fact that the Jets had a whole lot of nothing at the QB position, Pennington was fragile as can be and proved a complete inability to win in the postseason, and the offense as a whole was a joke. So on top of wanting to make a splash (which certainly played into it a lot), it was also a desperation move to try get to the next level. Now granted it didn't work out, but there was something more to it there, and there wasn't a whole lot of risk involved as it didn't really cost the Jets anything outside of the draft pick traded and Pennington. In this case, you're already talking about a top level defense that is certainly not what's keeping the Jets from taking that next step, and the move they're looking to make would have a significant impact on the roster overall for years to come. The Favre move turned out to be pretty stupid and didn't work out at all (aside from finally getting rid of Chad), but there was at least some sense behind it. While Asomugha would no doubt be a significantly better player for the Jets, I just don't see the justification for it, based on all of the other factors involved.

It's a one word deal Bee Gee: a 'luxury'and one we can ill afford. hell I want Braylon, I want maybe Marc Columbo if Brandon ain't ready, I want that LBer Barnes, I want Brad Maynard to replace Weatherford if possible-we need more than one player

Hey buddy, we made a splash on offense signing Brunell last year. I say we cut him lose, get aso and hope my main man Lowery doesnt make slot receivers look like superstars. ;)

That was a great post by the way. You make alot of sense. As a fan though, I want Aso lol. I'll worry about 2012-13 after we bring the lombardi to broadway.

Right? That was a great look into the facts of our cap situation. I, being a life long Jets fan, salivate over the idea of Aso in our D backfield as much as anyone else, but I fear the repercussions of such a move. I would much prefer to have guys that can help our offense as well. Ryan seems to be able to fit almost anyone into what he wants to do on D. Aso is not needed. What we need are impact players to help Sanchez and Schotty. Maybe the signing of the new OC "consultant" is a move in that direction to help maximize the offensive potential, but we still need the proper pieces on the field.

This is nothing like the Favre move. You're comparing getting the top corner in the game to getting a washed up QB.

I don't think this has anything to do with Woody. I think it's all about Rex and his unhealthy obsession with CBs. He would spend 75% of their cap on the top 4 corners if it was up to him.

And to answer the 1st question LT and BT need to be released.

This is nothing like the Favre move. You're comparing getting the top corner in the game to getting a washed up QB.

I don't think this has anything to do with Woody. I think it's all about Rex and his unhealthy obsession with CBs. He would spend 75% of their cap on the top 4 corners if it was up to him.

And to answer the 1st question LT and BT need to be released.

yea but O2T Favre was coming off a great season where he threw like 28 TDs and had 15 INTs by no means was he considered washed up at that time

Archived