Kyle Wilson...

Bugg

SUCKS.

Bait has been cut on this guy.

If we are signing a 3rd CB IN Strickland and still hoping for Cro to come on board, seems clear despite his contract Wilson is getting the vernon Gholston treatment. The jets are going to sign a #2 no matter what, so seems with Strickland on board the chance to scream 'TURN THE F_CK AROUND!" will be very few.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUCKS.

Bait has been cut on this guy.

If we are signing a 3rd CB IN Strickland and still hoping for Cro to come on board, seems clear despite his contract Wilson is getting the vernon Gholston treatment. The jets are going to sign a #2 no matter what, so seems with Strickland on board the chance to scream 'TURN THE F_CK AROUND!" will be very few.

Rex likes DB/s. That is all.

If he can't step in as the #2 CB opposite Revis in the first two years of his career, then he's probably not the player they thought they were drafting in the 1st round.

That said, it doesn't mean he can't be a nice asset in Rex's defenses which are dependent on multiple DB's being able to play.

Thank you Bugg. You are officially the "reads waaaaay too much into every FA signing" guy on JN!

Bugg's right. It's one thing to go chasing Aso who is on a totally different level than everyone not named Revis. It's quite another thing if they offer Cromartie a long-term contract in the $8M/range (though so far we technically don't know that he'll command that high a price or that it'll even be a long-term deal).

If they somehow are able to sign Cromartie for a year or pick up someone outside the #1CB salary range, then they think Wilson has potential.

If Cromartie gets the big-time deal he's sought all along then Rex & the Jets think he's a long shot to being a good starter. With the addition of Strickland in particular, to then sign Cromartie to a megadeal clearly means the team has little to no confidence in Wilson at this time.

Bugg's right. It's one thing to go chasing Aso who is on a totally different level than everyone not named Revis. It's quite another thing if they offer Cromartie a long-term contract in the $8M/range (though so far we technically don't know that he'll command that high a price or that it'll even be a long-term deal).

If they somehow are able to sign Cromartie for a year or pick up someone outside the #1CB salary range, then they think Wilson has potential.

If Cromartie gets the big-time deal he's sought all along then Rex & the Jets think he's a long shot to being a good starter. With the addition of Strickland in particular, to then sign Cromartie to a megadeal clearly means the team has little to no confidence in Wilson at this time.

What are you basing that on? That's a hell of a lot of supposition.

I see Strickland as a number 4 CB if we bring Cro back with Cro obviously being the #2 and at worst for Wilson a battle with Strickland for nickel.

What are you basing that on? That's a hell of a lot of supposition.

I see Strickland as a number 4 CB if we bring Cro back with Cro obviously being the #2 and at worst for Wilson a battle with Strickland for nickel.

You may see Strickland as a #4 CB. You are portraying that belief onto Rex Ryan.

I'm saying that going after a talent like Asomugha to clearly lock up the #2 CB position is one thing. If they sign him, there is no competition.

No one signs Antonio Cromartie - or any corner - to some megabucks deal with 8 figures guaranteed so he can "battle" it out with Kyle Wilson. You're reaching.

If the Jets sign Cromartie to a big deal he is the #2 corner. There is no battle. There is no competition. There is nothing except Cromartie starting opposite Revis.

This would mean the Jets do not have confidence in Wilson. If they did then they'd be signing (or trading for) someone lesser.

Here's an example: if the Jets brought back Damien Woody already - for starter money - then it would be an indictment of Ducasse (and Hunter, I suppose). Wayne Hunter is a FA priced in the "let them battle it out" range. If he wins the job he wins the job. If not, we've still got a hell of a backup and it doesn't obliterate our cap for a guy who isn't starting.

You may see Strickland as a #4 CB. You are portraying that belief onto Rex Ryan.

I'm saying that going after a talent like Asomugha to clearly lock up the #2 CB position is one thing. If they sign him, there is no competition.

No one signs Antonio Cromartie - or any corner - to some megabucks deal with 8 figures guaranteed so he can "battle" it out with Kyle Wilson. You're reaching.

If the Jets sign Cromartie to a big deal he is the #2 corner. There is no battle. There is no competition. There is nothing except Cromartie starting opposite Revis.

This would mean the Jets do not have confidence in Wilson. If they did then they'd be signing (or trading for) someone lesser.

Here's an example: if the Jets brought back Damien Woody already - for starter money - then it would be an indictment of Ducasse (and Hunter, I suppose). Wayne Hunter is a FA priced in the "let them battle it out" range. If he wins the job he wins the job. If not, we've still got a hell of a backup and it doesn't obliterate our cap for a guy who isn't starting.

I never said nor suggested Cro would be anything but the #2. I don't Strickland as coming in ahead of Wilson. At worst for Wilson, Strickland will be given a chance to land the nickel job.

I never said nor suggested Cro would be anything but the #2. I don't Strickland as coming in ahead of Wilson. At worst for Wilson, Strickland will be given a chance to land the nickel job.

You do not grab a CB in the first round to be the nickel back in Year 2.

Strickland clearly is a guy who would be competing with Wilson. My point is that SINCE Cromartie is the automatic #2 if he signs, then it signifies that the Jets want no part of Wilson as their #2.

Cromartie is good, but he's not THAT good to write off Wilson's career after 1 start in 1 season. If they sign him to a big deal, then Rex (and probably also Revis, who worked out with him a bit this offseason) think he's hopeless as starting material.

All we've heard so far regarding Cromartie is that the Jets have made him an offer. It has not been said what type of offer the Jets have made so it's premature to say what the offer means regarding Wilson.

If it's an in-between offer, like the $5-6M range (however likely or unlikely that is), then I concede it doesn't mean they think Wilson sucks. Then they're just identifying good value for a FA who was perceived to be worth more on the open market.

Bargain (or short-term) deal: they have hope for Wilson as a starter

Long-term mega-deal: they have no hope for Wilson as a starter

You do not grab a CB in the first round to be the nickel back in Year 2.

And if that guy isn't good enough to start in year two, you don't stubbornly put him at starter to justify his pick. You go get someone who is a legit #2.

The reality is, to play the type of D that Rex wants to play he really needs two #1 corners (Cro would be the #1 on about 3/4 of the teams in the league.)

Being a solid NFL #2 is not good enough to start in this defense. Wilson may be just that but that ain't cutting it on this particular defense.

If a first round pick isn't starting by year 2 he's probably a bust.

Nnamdi Asomugha started his 2nd year on the bench. Just saying.

But if the team goes out and signs a 2nd-tier player to 1st-tier money to keep said 2nd-year player from starting, then they think they made a draft error. No one drafts a corner in the first round intending for him to be a nickel back.

Strickland clearly is a guy who would be competing with Wilson. My point is that SINCE Cromartie is the automatic #2 if he signs, then it signifies that the Jets want no part of Wilson as their #2.

Cromartie is good, but he's not THAT good to write off Wilson's career after 1 start in 1 season. If they sign him to a big deal, then Rex (and probably also Revis, who worked out with him a bit this offseason) think he's hopeless as starting material.

All we've heard so far regarding Cromartie is that the Jets have made him an offer. It has not been said what type of offer the Jets have made so it's premature to say what the offer means regarding Wilson.

If it's an in-between offer, like the $5-6M range (however likely or unlikely that is), then I concede it doesn't mean they think Wilson sucks. Then they're just identifying good value for a FA who was perceived to be worth more on the open market.

Bargain (or short-term) deal: they have hope for Wilson as a starter

Long-term mega-deal: they have no hope for Wilson as a starter

Someone said Cro's offer is in the 5 year, 37.5 million range. He's gonna get paid like a #1.

And if that guy isn't good enough to start in year two, you don't stubbornly put him at starter to justify his pick. You go get someone who is a legit #2.

The reality is, to play the type of D that Rex wants to play he really needs two #1 corners (Cro would be the #1 on about 3/4 of the teams in the league.)

Being a solid NFL #2 is not good enough to start in this defense. Wilson may be just that but that ain't cutting it on this particular defense.

This is true.

When you have no pass rush, you need two #1 CBs.

All fair. Only point is that if a CB is drafted in round 1 you would hope he's more than simply competing for nickel in year 2. Would love to think another year in Ryan's system and working with Revis in practice gets him to play up. But I don't see it right now, and the Jets' search for a #2 CB and signing of Strickland tell you they might not either.

Nnamdi Asomugha started his 2nd year on the bench. Just saying.

But if the team goes out and signs a 2nd-tier player to 1st-tier money to keep said 2nd-year player from starting, then they think they made a draft error. No one drafts a corner in the first round intending for him to be a nickel back.

Because they had 2 good CB's in front of him. The jets have no no 2 CB now and are desperate to add one to keep Wilson from starting.

He's still young. This will put pressure on him to get better. I like it. It's not like his coverage was that bad, he just couldn't turn around in time.w

Whcih is like saying the play was fine and dandy for Mrs. Lincoln spare the gunfire and gaping head wound.

Archived