Braylon Edwards Situation

Smashmouth

Regarding Braylon, I don't think the DUI last season is enough to get shut out this offseason the way he is. He was in a 4 am accident a couple weeks ago where apparently he was the only vehicle involved. Now I am only speculating, but I think that there has to be more to that story than we know. Not so much that there's more to come down the line but more in the sense that I think Bray might have gotten a free pass from an officer that night. If he did, NFL front office guys would find that out eventually. It's not that they are worried he would be disciplined because if it since (again alot of assumption here)it hypothetically was swept under the rug. It's just that, if that's truly the case, it would be obvious Bray hasn't learned his lesson and is a huge risk. I'm just saying, how many people get into accidents at 4am with no other vehicles involved? It's not like he was going to work.

Braylon hit a tree. Then Tiger Woods's wife tried to bludgeon him and his car with a golf club.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that somehow happens we should cease being a run-first team and Sanchez should have no less than 4000 passing yards and 30 touchdowns if he's half the QB that so many here think he is.

Well, yeah, but the flip side of that is maybe having so many options that he struggles getting everyone involved. BE was an after thought once Holmes was here any way. Sanchez clearly favored Holmes...by a lot.

At this point, BE just insnt necessary. Sanchez has enough weapons surrounding him...let the kid go already. People are acting like he's Jerry Rice around here. He's not that good, clearly, the entire NFL doesnt want to touch him. Just maybe JN doesnt know as much as they think they do...I dunno?

I started a new thread with this because I want to take it in another direction so hear me out.

Braylon is obviously having major issues getting signed. It has been stated, one of the main reasons the Jets did not persue him any longer was due to salary demands and it also seems other teams are taking this stance as well.

With that being said if no one is showing any interest in Braylon what would be the smart thing for him to do ? What Im thinking is if Braylon signs a one year deal, the smart move would be to sign it with the Jets (if they agree) since he is already familiar with the Offense and Mark Sanchez. This will give him the chance to perform, get his act together with the off field crap, and get his career back on track. If he goes to another team he could damage the perception of his ability hurting his leverage even further having to deal with learning a new offense and timning with a new QB. If he comes to the Jets under these circumstances and lights it up, it gives us the time to work a deal and not have to sign what will then be a 35 year old Plaxico.

Any thoughts.

Unless the Jets play with two footballs, his numbers here would be lower than last season.

This would be the last place he'd sign a 1-year contract.

So again, I'll defer to our defensive guru HC as to what the defense needs

Thats just denying the unbelievable Football minds we have here on JN. I'd say we probably have at least 4 posters who should either take Rex Ryans place or Tanny's by this time next season.

SUPER BOWL!!!!

I started a new thread with this because I want to take it in another direction so hear me out.

Braylon is obviously having major issues getting signed. It has been stated, one of the main reasons the Jets did not persue him any longer was due to salary demands and it also seems other teams are taking this stance as well.

With that being said if no one is showing any interest in Braylon what would be the smart thing for him to do ? What Im thinking is if Braylon signs a one year deal, the smart move would be to sign it with the Jets (if they agree) since he is already familiar with the Offense and Mark Sanchez. This will give him the chance to perform, get his act together with the off field crap, and get his career back on track. If he goes to another team he could damage the perception of his ability hurting his leverage even further having to deal with learning a new offense and timning with a new QB. If he comes to the Jets under these circumstances and lights it up, it gives us the time to work a deal and not have to sign what will then be a 35 year old Plaxico.

Any thoughts.

I agree 110% Tanne sign Braylon now.

While I think it would be a good idea, I don't think it will happen. Good idea because you're right Plax hasn't played in two years. It is very possible he pulls a hammy after extended use. BE is probably going to be suspended for at least two games. Has anyone heard yet what his punishment will be for the dui? So, it might be ideal to have another wr that knows the system and can step in a few weeks into the season if someone goes down.

Regarding Braylon, I don't think the DUI last season is enough to get shut out this offseason the way he is. He was in a 4 am accident a couple weeks ago where apparently he was the only vehicle involved. Now I am only speculating, but I think that there has to be more to that story than we know. Not so much that there's more to come down the line but more in the sense that I think Bray might have gotten a free pass from an officer that night. If he did, NFL front office guys would find that out eventually. It's not that they are worried he would be disciplined because if it since (again alot of assumption here)it hypothetically was swept under the rug. It's just that, if that's truly the case, it would be obvious Bray hasn't learned his lesson and is a huge risk. I'm just saying, how many people get into accidents at 4am with no other vehicles involved? It's not like he was going to work.

I agree with this 100% The 4am incident was a game changer. Something changed in the Jets attitude toward Bray between seasons end and now. That incident frightened the FO as to where his maturity level is at.

Bit's right. His number is gone, and he's gone. Good or bad it's a done deal.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that the Jets FO DOES NOT WANT Braylon Edwards?

It's pretty obvious. The Jets had enough cap space to make it work. The Jets made no effort to re-sign him. Braylon didn't even get the Brad Smith treatment and the team telling him we're trying to resolve the Aso thing before we can work on you.

For some reason the Jets (Tanny, Rex, etc.) don't like Braylon. Criticize that position all you want, but it's foolhardy to lobby for the Jets to re-sign him or say "Tanny sign Braylon now!"

The Jets don't want it. It should be obvious. They signed a guy out of prison and gave him Braylon's number for crying out loud! Isn't that proof enough?

The NYJETS carried 4 TEs last season and I believe 4 QBs.

At some point you will have to recognize the distinction between the carrying guys and having them active on game day. I assume that you aren't advocating signing Braylon so that he can be inactive on game day. They carried 4 TEs because they obviously like Cumberland and were afraid that if he were put on the practice squad he'd be snatched. I don't believe he was active for more than a week or two. I am pretty sure they did not carry 4 QBs last year. That was the year before and on game day only two were active. The slots you are talking about are used to keep developing talent, O'Connell, Clowney, Woodhead. Those guys you bitch about cutting. Guys like Marquice Cole that may be very useful now are carried on those inactive game day slots. This year they will be probably carrying a DT there, since they have Pouha, MTV and Kenrick Ellis. They aren't all likely to be useful every game day.

The NYJETS carried 4 TEs last season and I believe 4 QBs.

3 Qb's, and Kellen was always wearing the emergency QB who didnt count against the roster. They rarely dressed 4 TE's. Either way, Ace was right, you need guys that can contribute on ST if you're going to carry that many WR's.

While I think it would be a good idea, I don't think it will happen. Good idea because you're right Plax hasn't played in two years. It is very possible he pulls a hammy after extended use. BE is probably going to be suspended for at least two games. Has anyone heard yet what his punishment will be for the dui? So, it might be ideal to have another wr that knows the system and can step in a few weeks into the season if someone goes down.

Well, The rumor is Mike Vick was telling him while he was in the slammer that the most important thing to keep in shape were his legs. Apparently, Plex was completely focused on keep the legs strong and the hips fluid. I'm sure he kept those hips fluid in more than one way.

At some point you will have to recognize the distinction between the carrying guys and having them active on game day. I assume that you aren't advocating signing Braylon so that he can be inactive on game day. They carried 4 TEs because they obviously like Cumberland and were afraid that if he were put on the practice squad he'd be snatched. I don't believe he was active for more than a week or two. I am pretty sure they did not carry 4 QBs last year. That was the year before and on game day only two were active. The slots you are talking about are used to keep developing talent, O'Connell, Clowney, Woodhead. Those guys you bitch about cutting. Guys like Marquice Cole that may be very useful now are carried on those inactive game day slots. This year they will be probably carrying a DT there, since they have Pouha, MTV and Kenrick Ellis. They aren't all likely to be useful every game day.

Agreed. Isnt Braylon a better option than the unproven Patrick Turner or 1 of the rookies? It seems to me the NYJETS might be his only option of playing this season.

Agreed. Isnt Braylon a better option than the unproven Patrick Turner or 1 of the rookies? It seems to me the NYJETS might be his only option of playing this season.

No. He is not. If Braylon signs a 1 year deal here, next year the Jets will be replacing Braylon and Plaxico. They will have been kept from carrying a good young player that would be useful on special teams and developed for the future. Cutting draft picks for a luxury WR that duplicates guys you just signed isn't good business. Why would the Jets be his only option? If they are there is more to him being a douchey diva/drunk driver than we've been told. Before you say it: TO would be even ******* worse.

It's painfully obvious that the Jets rank the defense ahead of the offense. That they feel CB is perhaps the most important position on the team (Revis + Nnamdi Cro), and that the WR position can be maintained with a band-aid (Plaxico). Minus Pool and JT, the defense has pretty much maintained status quo - or maybe even improved when you consider the draft and Pitoitua coming back.

Offense is secondary here. Too bad you don't like Holmes, because we're damn lucky to still have him with these guys running the show.

But with Cro signing for 4/$32M, there's just no money left to sign Braylon even if they wanted to (and they don't).

Improvement on offense rests with Sanchez getting better, and he's going to have to do that without BE.

I think you are right about CB being the most important position according to the Jets, but at the same time I think it tied with OL in the most important position in their thinking.

I think O-Line should be the first thing in building a franchise you can't get anything done offensively without one against good teams no matter how much talent u have at RB, WR QB (the Eagles will find this out yet again this year).

I also don't think signing a 1 year deal HERE is the best option for him either if he wants to make big money again, he needs to go somewhere where he will be #2 at worst to showcase his talents and be a good citizen to make the big money.

No. He is not. If Braylon signs a 1 year deal here, next year the Jets will be replacing Braylon and Plaxico. They will have been kept from carrying a good young player that would be useful on special teams and developed for the future. Cutting draft picks for a luxury WR that duplicates guys you just signed isn't good business. Why would the Jets be his only option? If they are there is more to him being a douchey diva/drunk driver than we've been told. Before you say it: TO would be even ******* worse.

You and I dont know the entire situation. Speculating is one thing guessing is another. If the NYJETS can afford him they should sign him to a deal. He did nothing but help this team last season get to the AFC Championship.

I also don't think signing a 1 year deal HERE is the best option for him either if he wants to make big money again, he needs to go somewhere where he will be #2 at worst to showcase his talents and be a good citizen to make the big money.

Giants would be a much better spot for him if he were to sign a 1-year deal.

In any case, he's going to the Vikings.

There sure seems to be something bigger than we all know about going on here, Booze. Hell, I can look at highlight films on YouTube from last year and see that BE would be desirable to most teams and those don't show a lot of the key blocks he made on other plays. It would make perfect sense that he was dirty in the recent, 4am, all terrain excursion - but not a peep of that has been brought up by the press as a reason for the inactivity or just for the pure dirt value of it. Not that I've heard anyway. With the poor journalism skills of many of these people coupled with the relative slow movement on signings and 'Twitter" - you would think if all front offices that needed WR's were tuned into this - this exact story would have been put out true or not.

If BE was dirty on this, and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, we need to stay way clear of him. We are just one toke and one gang/thug/sneeze/look the wrong way away from having Cotch and Sanchez's lil buddy as our receivers already.

You and I dont know the entire situation. Speculating is one thing guessing is another. If the NYJETS can afford him they should sign him to a deal. He did nothing but help this team last season get to the AFC Championship.

No. No. No.

Why he isn't signing somewhere is speculation. It's not guessing when I am reading stories about it in the paper and it is irrelevant to why signing him is a bad idea. He is NOT going to develop for the future. Signed on a one year deal he will walk and you will be whining like a bitch that the Jets don't have any good young WRs or saying they should sign TO. He can't play specials and would be a useless game day inactive. Let alone the fact that at this point the guy would probably prefer to return to Cleveland to putting his tail between his legs and coming back here.

No. No. No.

Why he isn't signing somewhere is speculation. It's not guessing when I am reading stories about it in the paper and it is irrelevant to why signing him is a bad idea. He is NOT going to develop for the future. Signed on a one year deal he will walk and you will be whining like a bitch that the Jets don't have any good young WRs or saying they should sign TO. He can't play specials and would be a useless game day inactive. Let alone the fact that at this point the guy would probably prefer to return to Cleveland to putting his tail between his legs and coming back here.

Didn't T.O also have offseason surgery?

No. No. No.

No no no he didnt help us get to the AFC Championship?

Inform me when Sanchez starts passing like an all-time great and then we'll talk, lol. In the meantime let's see him complete a whopping 60% of his passes for more than 2 consecutive games first. Then we can start drawing parallels to offenses led by Kurt Warner and Drew Brees and Tom Brady in their primes.

What in the world does Sanchez have to do with teams not using WR's on Special teams ?? LOL ? Your not even talking about the same thing we were discussing. Also just to point something else out in your little example its almost as if your saying sorry Sanchez we wont get you more weapons until you prove you can up your comp. percentage which is ridiculous. You either have faith in your franchise QB and surround him with talent at the skill positions or you dont /

The jets have absolutely no interest in braylon people need to start realizing this and just move on. There is a reason he is still unsigned and doesn't even seem to be getting interest and we probably don't know the whole story. I had read reports the jets never wanted to keep him because apparently he was a major diva behind the scenes last year. I don't know how true the report is but considering that every team seems to be avoiding him like the plague I tend to believe it. So again braylon will not be a part of the jets anytime soon, just move on already.

The jets have absolutely no interest in braylon people need to start realizing this and just move on. There is a reason he is still unsigned and doesn't even seem to be getting interest and we probably don't know the whole story. I had read reports the jets never wanted to keep him because apparently he was a major diva behind the scenes last year. I don't know how true the report is but considering that every team seems to be avoiding him like the plague I tend to believe it. So again braylon will not be a part of the jets anytime soon, just move on already.

Braylon who? :o

What in the world does Sanchez have to do with teams not using WR's on Special teams ?? LOL ? Your not even talking about the same thing we were discussing. Also just to point something else out in your little example its almost as if your saying sorry Sanchez we wont get you more weapons until you prove you can up your comp. percentage which is ridiculous. You either have faith in your franchise QB and surround him with talent at the skill positions or you dont /

Sanchez does not need another WR. He has 3 starter-worthy WR's and Keller. Signing Braylon Edwards wouldn't improve our special teams anyway unless you know something we don't.

Truth.

I'm starting to wonder if the Jets haven't blackballed the guy. Something's up. Either Braylon's contract demands are way out of line, or the entire league has a terrible opinion of him.

Sanchez does not need another WR. He has 3 starter-worthy WR's and Keller. Signing Braylon Edwards wouldn't improve our special teams anyway unless you know something we don't.

Last season Holmes-Edwards-Cotchery-Smith why not a 4th in Edwards for the right price.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that the Jets FO DOES NOT WANT Braylon Edwards?

It's pretty obvious. The Jets had enough cap space to make it work. The Jets made no effort to re-sign him. Braylon didn't even get the Brad Smith treatment and the team telling him we're trying to resolve the Aso thing before we can work on you.

For some reason the Jets (Tanny, Rex, etc.) don't like Braylon. Criticize that position all you want, but it's foolhardy to lobby for the Jets to re-sign him or say "Tanny sign Braylon now!"

The Jets don't want it. It should be obvious. They signed a guy out of prison and gave him Braylon's number for crying out loud! Isn't that proof enough?

I'm betting Rex had the same type of relationship with Braylon, that he did with Kerry Rhodes.

Last season Holmes-Edwards-Cotchery-Smith why not a 4th in Edwards for the right price.

Smith is a WR in name alone. If we need another starting-caliber WR, when we already have Holmes and Plaxico and Cotchery and Keller, then Sanchez is hopeless.

I don't believe he is hopeless and, as such, do not believe he needs 4 such WR's and a receiving TE.

Thats just denying the unbelievable Football minds we have here on JN. I'd say we probably have at least 4 posters who should either take Rex Ryans place or Tanny's by this time next season.

SUPER BOWL!!!!

Maybe one day you will realize this is actully a discussion forum and people enjoy looking at different options and discussing them when it comes to football. Ive debated this sh!t with friends all my life. You smart a$$ remarkes make no sense in the context to which we are discussing.

The main reason for this thread WAS NOT to get Braylon back it was to LOOK AT HIS SITUATION and to see if he was smart enough to figure a way out of it. As it stands no one is interested not even the Jets. Sources close to the Jets say hes asking for too much in thier case. SO if no other team wants him hes going to have to find a 1 year deal out there somewhere and prove he can stop his shenannigans and play football. NOW with all that being said will braylon realize this ? maybe not. But if he does his best chance to succeed is asking the Jets for another chance and signing a one year deal on the basis he is familar with the offense and the QB. THAT IS ALL>

Archived