Jerricho to Mehta: If he (Derrick Mason) passes physical, he's here and I'm not

nj meadowlands

This would be the worst move we've seen out of Tanny since taking over the Jets. All this "but Cothery sucked last year" is a bunch of sh*t. So the guy had a bad season. God for-*******-bid somebody has an off year. The guy has been playing below market value for the past several seasons and hasn't bitched ONCE! Class act. Plays hard, and he's younger than the antique they want to replace him with. Are they going out and getting a bunch of guys on 1 year deals to free up a ton of money to make a run at Ngata next year?

If the Jets FO does end up taking a sh*t on Cotchery, I expect him to sign with NE and spend a few years killing the Jets.

This move makes little to no sense. Cotchery wasn't good last yeat but he gets the benefit of the doubt based on his body of work over the course of his career. This is so stupid. For the first time ever, I'm starting to question Tannenbaum's vision. Unless he brings back Braylon or has a deal in the works, this makes NO sense.

The man is on the PUP list for a reason. I'd rather have a healthy 37-year old who can still play than a banged up Cotchery.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 37 yr old midget who the only reason even has stats is cause he was Baltimores only WR for years.

You really don't know anything about football. Wow.

Stats like that, as the only receiver for Tennessee and Baltimore... means he spent most of his career being a midget that can beat the double-coverage.

Cotch is also a multi-millionaire thanks to the Jets. Yeah it kinda sucks I guess but hard for me to shed tears from my cubical for a guy that shouldn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.

Prove me wrong last season was the first season he played opposite a decent WR in Baltimore. For years he was the only half way decent WR there.

Are you this stupid? Your points prove how good he is for beating the best defenders his entire career.

Playing opposite a good WR would mean he could rack up stats easier.

This move makes little to no sense. Cotchery wasn't good last yeat but he gets the benefit of the doubt based on his body of work over the course of his career. This is so stupid. For the first time ever, I'm starting to question Tannenbaum's vision. Unless he brings back Braylon or has a deal in the works, this makes NO sense.

i have serious doubts they are going to release cotchery because he is healthy.there is more to this story than cotchery had a bad year.maybe the surgeon who did his back surgery advised cotchery that he should hang up his cleats or risk being paralized. there is more to the story.why would tanny cut cotch and sign mason? any gm in their right mind would take a healthy cotchery over mason.it is not a money issue

I wonder if Tom Moore has anything to do with this? Cotch is one of those players that you get blinded by his toughness/character (Pennington) and over value them. Maybe an outsider gave him the thumbs down after last years bad performance?

I'll miss Cotch as much as the rest of you, but the simple facts are Mason>>>>Cotchery. That would be a great move from a business perspective. I love Cotch, and know he was injured for half the year, but he had a bad season. Mason could be a good weapon for us and gives us way more depth.

I'll miss Cotch as much as the rest of you, but the simple facts are Mason>>>>Cotchery. That would be a great move from a business perspective. I love Cotch, and know he was injured for half the year, but he had a bad season. Mason could be a good weapon for us and gives us way more depth.

If Plax is out we have WR midgets, Sanchez will falter watch and see.

Forum IDIOT is all yours.

I could very well be an idiot... but unlike you I am not delusional and causing an entire message board to hate me.

Knock the chip off your shoulder... stop trying to be a pain in the a$$ and enjoy the site.

Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery expects to be released

Published: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 1:08 PM Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 1:09 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

WR Jerricho Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career for the Jets, is expecting to be released.

Jerricho Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career for the Jets, expects to be released. Former Ravens receiver Derrick Mason is scheduled to visit the facility today and, if Mason passes a physical and the Jets decide to sign him, Cotchery expects his tenure with the team to be over.

Cotchery spoke of his release this morning as a foregone conclusion. But the 29-year-old receiver also admitted that he has thought, now and at points in the past, that a change of scenery might be good.

"No question, yeah," Cotchery told The Star-Ledger. "I don’t want to get into specific details, but I have. I have. I have, to be honest. I don’t know how to say it."

Cotchery has been a reliable player for the Jets and a classy locker room presence, learning from predecessors like Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington. He struggled for words as he discussed the topic, reluctant to share too many details and betray others.

Asked if he felt his loyalty to the organization has not been rewarded through the years, he hesitated before responding.

"For me, I don’t know. I don’t know how to feel, to be honest," Cotchery said. "Like I said, I put in a lot of work for the Jets. Became a starter in '06, started off with special teams with Mike Westhoff in '04, and just tried to handle my business the right way. The guys I spoke to coming in as a rookie, I just felt like they handled their business the right way. Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington, Wayne Chrebet. So that's how I was going to handle my business. I tried to do that for the most part, but everything doesn’t work out the way you want it to work out. However God wants it to work out is best for me. So that’s where I find my peace."

Cotchery said he did share his feelings, about a change of scenery perhaps being best, with a few people. He declined to name who, specifically.

"I don’t want to say which coaches, but I have shared it," Cotchery said. "A lot of people didn’t see it that way."

Cotchery was a starter for four seasons, 2006 through 2009. He started five games in 2010. After Santonio Holmes came back from his four-game suspension, Holmes and Braylon Edwards were the starters.

Asked if some of his feelings related to the team bringing in other receivers that they put ahead of him on the depth chart -- like Edwards, Holmes and now Plaxico Burress -- Cotchery paused again.

"For me, I don’t know how to look at it," he said. "When I became a starter, I performed well as a starter. Last year, I just had a tough deal, a tough deal with a lot of things. I don’t want to get into specifics with a lot of things. Everybody knows I had the injury, but it’s more than just an injury. But at the end of the day, for the most part, I played well. I look at it now: I got the surgery out of the way, I’m healthy, I just turned 29 years old, I'm ready to play football. so that’s what its all about now."

Cotchery said those other things he dealt with last year were off the field.

He rehabbed his way back from offseason back surgery and physically feels in a better place than he has for two years. But Cotchery was placed on the physically unable to perform list, and he understands that teams would be reluctant to trade for him, first reported as a possibility by NFL Network on Monday.

"A lot of teams don’t know my situation," Cotchery said. "I don’t know how that got out anyway, but a lot of teams don’t know my situation, so they don’t know if I'm healthy or not. So how can they trade for someone that they really don’t know if I'm healthy or not? But I am. When I’m released, teams will be able to see that I am."

And Cotchery will take the unfamiliar step of resuming his NFL career in another city and uniform, for the first time in his career

First of all Mason (very solid throughout his career) and Plaxico were very good WR's the issue here is that they are 34 and 37 years old. If they cant get through the season we are basicly ****ed in the playoffs. How we can be putting a SB ready team in this position is beyond belief. This is almost laughable.

I can see adding guys like this of we had 3 solid starters and were hopeing to add some stability or get veterans to help with some of the young guys on a roster, maybe set an example. But to rely on these guys to play a full 16 game NFL season ??? I keep saying to myself "something else has to be up, they have to have something up their sleeve" if this is it, then Ill be pretty damn dissapointed. What dissapoints me even more is how other teams are surrounding their young Franchise QB's with studs (see Matt Ryan) while we do bascily nothing for Mark Sanchez. Sad

Derrick Mason is apparently a sucky 37yo WR, yet PFF rated him as the 6th best receiver from 2008-2010.

The guy's yearly average for his age 34-36 seasons was 71 catches for 956 yards and 6 TD's with a 13.4 YPR. That's better production than Cotchery's last 3 healthy years, in his age 25-27 seasons. Now he's a 29yo coming off back surgery and an overall terrible season.

I'm not saying that he's going to be a savior or even an upgrade, but if Mason sucks as badly as some of you claim, what does that say for Cotchery? It never ceases to amaze me when grown men can't suppress their inner fanboy.

First of all Mason (very solid throughout his career) and Plaxico were very good WR's the issue here is that they are 34 and 37 years old. If they cant get through the season we are basicly ****ed in the playoffs. How we can be putting a SB ready team in this position is beyond belief. This is almost laughable.

I can see adding guys like this of we had 3 solid starters and were hopeing to add some stability or get veterans to help with some of the young guys on a roster, maybe set an example. But to rely on these guys to play a full 16 game NFL season ??? I keep saying to myself "something else has to be up, they have to have something up their sleeve" if this is it, then Ill be pretty damn dissapointed. What dissapoints me even more is how other teams are surrounding their young Franchise QB's with studs (see Matt Ryan) while we do bascily nothing for Mark Sanchez. Sad

NY Jets trade their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Thomas to Det. for Megatron.

Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery expects to be released

Published: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 1:08 PM Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 1:09 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

WR Jerricho Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career for the Jets, is expecting to be released.

Jerricho Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career for the Jets, expects to be released. Former Ravens receiver Derrick Mason is scheduled to visit the facility today and, if Mason passes a physical and the Jets decide to sign him, Cotchery expects his tenure with the team to be over.

Cotchery spoke of his release this morning as a foregone conclusion. But the 29-year-old receiver also admitted that he has thought, now and at points in the past, that a change of scenery might be good.

"No question, yeah," Cotchery told The Star-Ledger. "I don’t want to get into specific details, but I have. I have. I have, to be honest. I don’t know how to say it."

Cotchery has been a reliable player for the Jets and a classy locker room presence, learning from predecessors like Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington. He struggled for words as he discussed the topic, reluctant to share too many details and betray others.

Asked if he felt his loyalty to the organization has not been rewarded through the years, he hesitated before responding.

"For me, I don’t know. I don’t know how to feel, to be honest," Cotchery said. "Like I said, I put in a lot of work for the Jets. Became a starter in '06, started off with special teams with Mike Westhoff in '04, and just tried to handle my business the right way. The guys I spoke to coming in as a rookie, I just felt like they handled their business the right way. Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington, Wayne Chrebet. So that's how I was going to handle my business. I tried to do that for the most part, but everything doesn’t work out the way you want it to work out. However God wants it to work out is best for me. So that’s where I find my peace."

Cotchery said he did share his feelings, about a change of scenery perhaps being best, with a few people. He declined to name who, specifically.

"I don’t want to say which coaches, but I have shared it," Cotchery said. "A lot of people didn’t see it that way."

Cotchery was a starter for four seasons, 2006 through 2009. He started five games in 2010. After Santonio Holmes came back from his four-game suspension, Holmes and Braylon Edwards were the starters.

Asked if some of his feelings related to the team bringing in other receivers that they put ahead of him on the depth chart -- like Edwards, Holmes and now Plaxico Burress -- Cotchery paused again.

"For me, I don’t know how to look at it," he said. "When I became a starter, I performed well as a starter. Last year, I just had a tough deal, a tough deal with a lot of things. I don’t want to get into specifics with a lot of things. Everybody knows I had the injury, but it’s more than just an injury. But at the end of the day, for the most part, I played well. I look at it now: I got the surgery out of the way, I’m healthy, I just turned 29 years old, I'm ready to play football. so that’s what its all about now."

Cotchery said those other things he dealt with last year were off the field.

He rehabbed his way back from offseason back surgery and physically feels in a better place than he has for two years. But Cotchery was placed on the physically unable to perform list, and he understands that teams would be reluctant to trade for him, first reported as a possibility by NFL Network on Monday.

"A lot of teams don’t know my situation," Cotchery said. "I don’t know how that got out anyway, but a lot of teams don’t know my situation, so they don’t know if I'm healthy or not. So how can they trade for someone that they really don’t know if I'm healthy or not? But I am. When I’m released, teams will be able to see that I am."

And Cotchery will take the unfamiliar step of resuming his NFL career in another city and uniform, for the first time in his career

Cold world

Derrick Mason is apparently a sucky 37yo WR, yet PFF rated him as the 6th best receiver from 2008-2010.

The guy's yearly average for his age 34-36 seasons was 71 catches for 956 yards and 6 TD's with a 13.4 YPR. That's better production than Cotchery's last 3 healthy years, in his age 25-27 seasons. Now he's a 29yo coming off back surgery and an overall terrible season.

I'm not saying that he's going to be a savior or even an upgrade, but if Mason sucks as badly as some of you claim, what does that say for Cotchery? It never ceases to amaze me when grown men can't suppress their inner fanboy.

^ This

Cotch is also a multi-millionaire thanks to the Jets. Yeah it kinda sucks I guess but hard for me to shed tears from my cubical for a guy that shouldn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.

This is totally irrelevant Pac and you know it. Most starters in the NFL are set for life financially if they have half a brain. Dont hold something that pertains to damn near very player in the league against Cotch. This guy has been a great Jet and played as tough as nails. if hes seriously hurt and can no longer perform thats one thing and very understandable but if he can play and were basicly pushing him aside for a guy like Mason whos 37 years old something is dreadfully wrong.

I actually agree with you on this, and don't think Mason independently is a bad pickup. I would just like to see even the slightest bit of effort made from the front office to put a WR corps together that Sanchez can get comfortable with. It's no coincidence in his two seasons, Sanchez's mid-season turn down the sh*tter has come at exactly the same moment his WR corps was changed and was then at his best once he finally started getting comfortable again come playoff time. Granted we're not talking another week 5 starting lineup change, but giving Sanchez a month to get used to an entirely new WR corps with the exception of ONE player is not going to help his cause.

Archived