Plaxico sneaks on field during practice

visajets

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/plaxico_burress_sneaks_onto_th.html

Plaxico Burress sneaks onto the field during Jets practice

Published: Sunday, August 07, 2011, 6:37 PM Updated: Sunday, August 07, 2011, 6:52 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerPlaxico Burress was the target of one pass, before Rex Ryan yanked him.

Plaxico Burress, who is nursing a left ankle injury, thought Jets coach Rex Ryan wouldn't notice if he sneaked onto the field for 11-on-11 drills this afternoon.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez targeted Burress on a sprint-out pass to his left side, but a defender slipped into the backfield, and the pass whizzed behind Burress. And that lone play was all Burress would get.

Video:NY Jets Plaxico Burress speaks to the media after his first practice in pads

NY Jets Plaxico Burress speaks to the media after his first practice in pads as he took the field today.(Video by William Perlman/The Star-Ledger)

Watch video

"I was trying to sneak in, but me being 6-5, it didn’t work out too well," Burress said with a laugh.

Ryan and the trainers yanked Burress, sticking to their original plan of only letting him participate in individual drills today. Still, it was the most Burress has done since he joined the Jets — and in nearly three years. Burress was restricted to only walk-throughs Thursday and Friday after rolling his untaped ankle while running routes indoors with Santonio Holmes Wednesday.

"It was my first time getting out there running routes with a helmet and shoulder pads, and to be honest, it just feels like I never left," said Burress, who served a 20-month prison sentence for illegal gun possession.

Burress said he has been getting treatment up to four times a day and felt much improved when he woke up this morning. He said he feels the usual soreness that comes with getting back into football shape but hopes to increase his workload over the next few days toward a full practice — and a possible debut in the Jets' preseason opener in Houston next Monday.

"I don’t see why not," he said of playing in the opener. "If they give me the nod to go, I'm definitely going to get out there. I think if anybody needs all the work they can get, it’s me."

Rex Ryan said the coaching staff has been impressed with how quickly Burress is picking up the offense.

"The schemes are pretty much the same, that and what I was running on the other side," Burress said, referring to his time with the Giants. "It’s just picking up the terminology. I've seen all the defenses, I understand the coverages and it's just about me getting comfortable with Mark and where he wants me to be. I tell him, 'When I get to that spot, just turn it loose.' It may take a little bit of time; I expect that and I think he does, too."

Burress said, physically, he has been focusing on his quads and glutes, making sure his legs are strong as he prepares for a full return to football. Other than his ankle, he is pleased with where he's at.

"I have to get out there to really get a gauge of how I'm feeling, but as of right now, I don’t see why I wouldn't be able to go out and do some of the things I was doing a couple years ago," Burress said.

A few other notes from this afternoon's practice:

This was the longest — and hottest — session so far, lasting about three hours.

QB Mark Sanchez was 5-of-16 in 11-on-11 drills. CB Darrelle Revis had a nice break-up of a pass to WR Santonio Holmes. On the next play, Holmes rebounded, catching a quick slant route on CB Antonio Cromartie.

LB Bart Scott had two would-be sacks of Sanchez. Other good news for the defense: S Jim Leonhard joined team drills for the first time today, working with the first-team. Coming off a season-ending broken fibula, he had been limited to individual drills for the first five days. Leonhard is wearing a white sleeve covering his right leg.

RB Joe McKnight, working with the second-team offense, made a nice play to spin off a defense and sprint into the end zone during 11-on-11 drills.

Matt Kroul appears to have switched from defensive line to offensive line. He switched to a No. 66 jersey in white, representing offense, and worked with the third-team at right guard.

WR Scotty McKnight made a pair of nice plays, catching a touchdown pass from rookie QB Greg McElroy and later leaping high for another grab from McElroy.

More coverage:

• Complete Jets coverage on NJ.com

• Jets videos

• Jets photos

There were two interceptions during 11-on-11 drills today: S Emanuel Cook picked off McElroy, and UDFA CB Julian Posey intercepted a deep pass from QB Drew Willy to WR Michael Campbell.

K Nick Folk was 4-of-5 on field goal attempts today, with a miss wide right and short from 48 yards. Nick Novak was 3-of-4, with a miss from 41 yards. Folk worked with P T.J. Conley as his holder, and Novak worked with P Chris Bryan.

Another day, two more fights: FB Brian Toal got into it with S Brodney Pool, and later in practice, OL Vlad Ducasse and DL Sione Pouha threw punches, while DL Jarron Gilbert and C Taylor Boggs sparred off the the side.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

QB Mark Sanchez was 5-of-16 in 11-on-11 drills. CB Darrelle Revis had a nice break-up of a pass to WR Santonio Holmes. On the next play, Holmes rebounded, catching a quick slant route on CB Antonio Cromartie.

I don't care if it's practice or not....but that's a pretty bad completion precentage

I don't care if it's practice or not....but that's a pretty bad completion precentage

Meh, its against the best defense he'll face all year.

Meh, its against the best defense he'll face all year.

My thoughts exactly. Not only is Sanchez still trying to get back into stride during the offseason, but he's doing it without some key weapons as well. Plaxico Burress only snuck 1 play in during 11 on 11 drills and I'm pretty sure Mason hasn't been full stride yet. It's just a practice, some fans overreact. Sanchez will be prime and ready to go come week one against the Cowboys on ESPN's Sunday Night Football.

Another day, two more fights: FB Brian Toal got into it with S Brodney Pool, and later in practice, OL Vlad Ducasse and DL Sione Pouha threw punches, while DL Jarron Gilbert and C Taylor Boggs sparred off the the side.

******* love it, I hope they bring this type of fire into the field.

How the **** is FB Brian Toal?

******* love it, I hope they bring this type of fire into the field.

How the **** is FB Brian Toal?

Good to see the former Don Bosco product getting another shot with the Jets.

If Sanchez isn't 5-16, then our defense has issues. He didn't throw any picks, though! I can't wait till next Monday, it's just a shame that training camp was only a couple weeks long this year. I bet all across the NFL there will be more injuries than usual, and the beginning of the season will be sloppy.

I get more excited about Plax every day. During games he saved Eli so much and I think he can do the same for Mark. If he can stay healthy. I remember during the Super Bowl year he wasn't even practicing. He just went on gameday.

He would have been 4 for 16 with an INT if Tom Moore wasn't on board. So give it some more time. :)

Brian Toal is a LB not a FB.

Nope. He was a linebacker. He was listed as a linebacker on the roster sheet they gave out today. But he lined up at fullback and did a helluva job--really laid some licks and was tenacious to the point that it started a fistfight. The only reason I know this is that he caught my eye and a bunch of spectators were asking, "Wow, who the eff is that #40?" I looked it up and it it said : #40, LB, Brian Toal. Rexy thinking outside the box here. I'm thinking it's better for Toal as well since we have 394 linebackers in camp. Backup FB could be an ideal spot considering the way Connor likes to run headfirst into sh*t.

Nope. He was a linebacker. He was listed as a linebacker on the roster sheet they gave out today. But he lined up at fullback and did a helluva job--really laid some licks and was tenacious to the point that it started a fistfight. The only reason I know this is that he caught my eye and a bunch of spectators were asking, "Wow, who the eff is that #40?" I looked it up and it it said : #40, LB, Brian Toal. Rexy thinking outside the box here. I'm thinking it's better for Toal as well since we have 394 linebackers in camp. Backup FB could be an ideal spot considering the way Connor likes to run headfirst into sh*t.

Sounds good to me, LOL @ Connor comment

The one play I keyed on Ducasse he got dumped on his a$$ this afternoon. Hope it was just an isolated incident. Didn't see much else of him.

Seems to be becoming a trend...dude worries me. I hope he aint a bust already. :(

Archived