Toomer unloads on Ray Lewis, calling him a caricature and a hypocrite

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/31/toomer-unloads-on-ray-lewis-calling-him-a-caricature-and-a-hypocrite/

Plenty of words can be used to describe this year’s Super Bowl week.

Boring isn’t one of them.

Former Giants receiver Amani Toomer, who currently has a show on NBC Sports Radio Network and contributes to Pro Football Talkon NBC Sports Network, used plenty of words to describe Ravens linebacker

Ray Lewis to Mike Garafolo of USA Today at the media center on Wednesday.

It’s definitely all about him,” Toomer said of Lewis.

“Once a guy goes to the center of the field, goes into the victory formation on the last play of his last home game . . . . I just don’t think the Giants or any organization I’ve ever been a part of, even growing up, would allow somebody to single themselves out like that.

“If you single yourself out after you make a play, that’s one thing. But to walk out on the field reminds me of the WWE, like The Rock coming out. You’re becoming a caricature of yourself. It’s exhausting. I don’t know why somebody would want that.”

Toomer also talked about the discrepancy between Ray Lewis the Man of God and Ray Lewis the man who was accused of double murder and who pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and who has still never publicly answered this simple question, which anyone with a pulse is

qualified to ask: “Ray, what happened that night?”

“If you want to say you’re Mr. Religious and all of that, have a clean record. Don’t say all of that stuff if you know there’s stuff that might come back,” Toomer said. “Those are the things that, when I look at him, I just think hypocrisy.”

Powerful stuff. And Toomer didn’t even talk about deer-antler velvet extract.

Which should never be confused with deer-antler

velvet Elvis.

I suddenly have a great deal of respect for Amani Toomer. I've always hated Lewis. Great player, but just the way he always makes everything about him, and then when there is any bit of controversy he goes running and quotes the Bible like it's supposed to get him off the hook or something. People aren't qualified to ask him about what happened with the murder charges? WTF is up with that?

I suddenly have a great deal of respect for Amani Toomer. I've always hated Lewis. Great player, but just the way he always makes everything about him, and then when there is any bit of controversy he goes running and quotes the Bible like it's supposed to get him off the hook or something. People aren't qualified to ask him about what happened with the murder charges? WTF is up with that?

Why not , he watch his 2 freinds kill someone , what happen to the white suit he was wearing , He thinks everyone forgot it about time he come clean and thinks he is better than everyone

rack up alot of haters in 17 NFL seasons, playing middle linebacker at a pro bowl level for 13 of them.

think about how crazy someone has to survive in the league that long. Vinny played for like 19 years at QB.

No one is questioning his on the field prowess. It's the pregame and post game antics that have people so over him. Crying at the national anthem?

No one is questioning his on the field prowess. It's the pregame and post game antics that have people so over him. Crying at the national anthem?

It's a package deal. Ray Lewis the non murdering, quiet good citizen isn't a 13 pro bowler. It's madness to the point of genius.

It's a package deal. Ray Lewis the non murdering, quiet good citizen isn't a 13 pro bowler. It's madness to the point of genius.

No, he just followed his All-Rookie Team first year with three straight pro-bowl births and finishing out with an all-pro season directly prior to his murder. But yea, you're totally right, he changed so much as a player after the murder :/

Archived