All Aboard!!!....The Jimmy Garoppolo Bandwagon

HessStation

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Ben went to a mid major. Super Bowl.

Joe Flacco went to a school not even in NCAA. Super Bowl.

Colin Kaepernick went to a small school. Super Bowl loser, but still a Super Bowl.

Where a QB goes to college is important. But the number of busts from big schools are just as plentiful or more so than successful small school QBs.

I don't think he's worth a early pick. But then again I'm not a scout or nfl gm.

These are exactly the type of guys you draft every year, to see what pans out.  But, you do it in later rounds. 

Yea we need to draft a guy like Vernon Gholston with our first pick. Those guys are guarantees.  Why fulfill a desperate need with a first or second round pick for a QB Like Garoppolo

who has great upside and can be our leader for  the next 10-15 years. That would be just plain dumb and un-Jet -like.   

casual fans bash this guy for being unknown

just wait until after Senior Bowl week. 

he has a Marino-like release. Super friggin fast. 

used to think he'd be a nice value play in rd 3

the way things are going... he's got a real shot to be the 4th QB after Johnny/Teddy/Bortles i.e. late first round pick. 

Exactly which is why he will not be there in Round 2 by the time we pick.  If you want him you will have select him at 18 or trade back in first round or trade up in 2nd round.   Regardless, I hope Idzik finds a way to draft this kid but he will have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. 

Yea we need to draft a guy like Vernon Gholston with our first pick. Those guys are guarantees.  Why fulfill a desperate need with a first or second round pick for a QB Like Garoppolo

who has great upside and can be our leader for  the next 10-15 years. That would be just plain dumb and un-Jet -like.   

A bust is a bust, they come in every variety and play every position.

But, I'd say the chances of a small school prospect coming in and lighting the league on fire in his first year, are smaller than a big school stud doing the same.  Especially when we're talking about a QBs transition into the NFL vs other positions with fewer nuances. 

Exactly which is why he will not be there in Round 2 by the time we pick.  If you want him you will have select him at 18 or trade back in first round or trade up in 2nd round.   Regardless, I hope Idzik finds a way to draft this kid but he will have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. 

I disagree.  Sure some team might take a chance on him early, but IMO he's the type of talent you wait for.  

Personally, I would call Tebow and bring him back rather than hand the job back to Eugene. 

I know this is basically hyperbole out of your distaste for GENO,which I also have BUT even I would never advocate for TEBOW. In my opinion, he has  one of the worst deliveries, I have ever seen, and his accuracy is even worse than Geno's.

Look, I want someone other than Geno (garrapolo for sure) but Tebow, no way, so you know he's bad if even I dont want him.

I disagree.  Sure some team might take a chance on him early, but IMO he's the type of talent you wait for.  

The REACH concept all depends on the degree of your desperation.  In our case, I'd see if Namath or Vinny wants to come back. The options are you move up and sell the farm like they did with Sanchez.  Or you reach or you take 'projects' in mid rounds and hope you find a Russell Wilson who is an enigma.  For the most part, the 'better' NFL teams have QB's who were top rated 1st round picks.  Its just are  our luck, we have a mid round pick in a draft that has so many good qb prospects that will likely be gone by the time we pick.  The question is whether or not Garappolo is a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick.  He probably at this point is a 2nd-3rd but if you're desperate (Jets) (Jags) (Browns) (Texans) (Raiders) (Vikes) you make your move and grab this kid.  I would go with the reach rather than trading up or going the project route.  Worst case scenario is he flops then you just keep looking.  Best case, you've finally cemented a position that has eluded this organization for decades. Garappolo is going to climb up the boards.  He was outstanding in the Shrine game.  This kid looks like the real deal and there are many desperate teams that will be looking for a QB to start or develop. He is probably slated 5th right now.  Since this organization has absolutely fumbled its attempts to find a QB for decades, you take the radical approach and do what's necessary to find a QB. 

I know this is basically hyperbole out of your distaste for GENO,which I also have BUT even I would never advocate for TEBOW. In my opinion, he has  one of the worst deliveries, I have ever seen, and his accuracy is even worse than Geno's.

Look, I want someone other than Geno (garrapolo for sure) but Tebow, no way, so you know he's bad if even I dont want him.

Here is a tounge ~~~ here's a cheek {  NOBODY in the NFL wants Tebow - Bottom line, I would take Tebow over Eugene any day of the week. Here is a tounge ~~~ here's a cheek {   

The REACH concept all depends on the degree of your desperation.  In our case, I'd see if Namath or Vinny wants to come back. The options are you move up and sell the farm like they did with Sanchez.  Or you reach or you take 'projects' in mid rounds and hope you find a Russell Wilson who is an enigma.  For the most part, the 'better' NFL teams have QB's who were top rated 1st round picks.  Its just are  our luck, we have a mid round pick in a draft that has so many good qb prospects that will likely be gone by the time we pick.  The question is whether or not Garappolo is a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick.  He probably at this point is a 2nd-3rd but if you're desperate (Jets) (Jags) (Browns) (Texans) (Raiders) (Vikes) you make your move and grab this kid.  I would go with the reach rather than trading up or going the project route.  Worst case scenario is he flops then you just keep looking.  Best case, you've finally cemented a position that has eluded this organization for decades. Garappolo is going to climb up the boards.  He was outstanding in the Shrine game.  This kid looks like the real deal and there are many desperate teams that will be looking for a QB to start or develop. He is probably slated 5th right now.  Since this organization has absolutely fumbled its attempts to find a QB for decades, you take the radical approach and do what's necessary to find a QB. 

Many thought the same thing about Ryan Nassib this time last year.  These types of players drop in the draft, you roster them, coach them up, and hope to have a Tom Brady waiting on your bench. 

Wait until you see the Senior Bowl.  There will be even more "can't miss" prospects that will be gurgled by the broadcasters, add them to the "big name" guys (Boyd, Carr, McCarron, Murray) and dudes like Garrapalo will drop in the draft. 

Just noticed: Garrapalo has been added to the Senior Bowl.  We get to see/compare him to Derek Carr, Tahj Boyd, David Fales, Stephen Morris, and Logan Thomas, up close and personal.  

His name is Eugene NOT Geno.

Nah, he needs "street cred" so he can act like a hood, wear his hat crooked and 3 sizes too big, wear his pants down by his knees so half his boxers are showing, and wear chains the size of doorknobs.

No Eugene, has no gang tone to it, does it?

Many thought the same thing about Ryan Nassib this time last year.  These types of players drop in the draft, you roster them, coach them up, and hope to have a Tom Brady waiting on your bench. 

Wait until you see the Senior Bowl.  There will be even more "can't miss" prospects that will be gurgled by the broadcasters, add them to the "big name" guys (Boyd, Carr, McCarron, Murray) and dudes like Garrapalo will drop in the draft. 

Just noticed: Garrapalo has been added to the Senior Bowl.  We get to see/compare him to Derek Carr, Tahj Boyd, David Fales, Stephen Morris, and Logan Thomas, up close and personal.  

Yea the Senior Bowl will be telling.  From what I've seen and heard though, he has eclipsed Boyd, Fales, Thomas and the next tier of prospects.  Right now I have him slotted as the 5th QB taken.  Again, we are desperate to find our QB of the future.  Its been excruciating watching  these failed attempts for decades now.  We have had only 2 top notch QB's in our history - Namath and Testerverde.  Eveyone else has been PATHETIC!  There is just no telling where this kid goes if he continues to impress at the Senior Bowl and the combine. I would hate to lose a chance to grab this kid when he is there for the taking.      

Nah, he needs "street cred" so he can act like a hood, wear his hat crooked and 3 sizes too big, wear his pants down by his knees so half his boxers are showing, and wear chains the size of doorknobs.

No 'Eugene" doesn't have gang tone to it - it has loser, scrub, wannabe tone to it.

Kind of Ironic you bring up Nassib, as a guy who drops in the draft and then you "coach them up" and hope for a Tom Brady, when his last college game was in the EXACT same game as a guy from WVU named Geno Smith, and Nassib completely out played Smith that day at Yankee Stadium, and without a top 10 weapon like Tavon Austin. In fact after that game, I remember many people, myself included said pleas NO GENO for the Jets.

Yet, it is Nassib who needs to be Coached up and the former consensus #1 pick who dropped like gravity was just invented, and was passed by every team in the NFL is now anointed our savior and just needs weapons.

Hmm........

Kind of Ironic you bring up Nassib, as a guy who drops in the draft and then you "coach them up" and hope for a Tom Brady, when his last college game was in the EXACT same game as a guy from WVU named Geno Smith, and Nassib completely out played Smith that day at Yankee Stadium, and without a top 10 weapon like Tavon Austin. In fact after that game, I remember many people, myself included said pleas NO GENO for the Jets.

Yet, it is Nassib who needs to be Coached up and the former consensus #1 pick who dropped like gravity was just invented, and was passed by every team in the NFL is now anointed our savior and just needs weapons.

Hmm........

What he needs is a slow boat to Iceland.

Senior Bowl prospects to watch: Jimmy Garoppolo and Derek Carr in spotlight

Could Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Garoppolo propel himself into the Round 1 discussion? (Chris Anderson/Icon SMI)

NFL fans, meet Jimmy Garoppolo.

Garoppolo won the MVP award at the Shrine Game after a 9-of-14, 100-yard, one-touchdown performance. His work throughout the event earned him an invite to this week’s Senior Bowl, where he has more time to catch the attention of teams searching for a draftable QB.Those of you with a keen eye toward the draft likely already knew the name of Eastern Illinois’ quarterback — SI’s Chris Johnson provided a closer look back in November. For everyone else (and even for folks who were aware of Garoppolo’s abilities), the East-West Shrine Game provided a nice glance at a prospect with an NFL future.

So, where does he fall on the totem pole? Probably not all that far behind the projected Round 1 possibilities: Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr, for now.

Carr’s a Senior Bowl attendee, too. And before the week is out, we should have a much better feel for how the NFL might view his skillful but sometimes frustrating game. Fresno State’s QB lit up the scoreboard all year to the tune of 5,000 yards passing and 50 (!!) touchdowns. However, he has a little Matthew Stafford to his game, in ways that might drive scouts nuts — i.e. he throws with inconsistent mechanics and tries to use his huge arm to offset questionable reads at times.

There is not much of a gap right now between Carr and the presumed second tier of 2014 NFL draft QB prospects, including Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, David Fales (also a Senior Bowl participant), Tajh Boyd (another player at the Senior Bowl), A.J. McCarron and others. Depending on how the board falls in May, one or two of those guys could sneak into the first round; several also may drop to Day 3.

Senior Bowl week is just one step of many on the way to the draft. For Carr and Garoppolo, it’s an important chance to set themselves apart from the field.

Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech: Still tough to get a read on where Attaochu might fall come May. He’s one of those athletic edge-rusher types that could thrill a team in the top 15 … or could drop into Round 2 or 3 because coaching staffs struggle to envision a fit for him.

The early Senior Bowl plan was to use him as a defensive end, meaning more time pinning his ears back against talented linemen and less time being asked to diagnose plays from a linebacker spot. That’s exactly how most NFL teams will want to use him out of the gate, so this could be a critical week for Attaochu to really show off his wares.

Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood: Another of the very small group to participate both in the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl. The extra exposure is definitely a positive for Desir, one of the top small-school prospects available in the 2014 draft. At 6-foot-1 and just shy of 200 pounds, Desir fits the profile teams increasingly want at corner — tall, lanky, athletic. (For comparison’s sake, Redskins 2013 second-rounder David Amerson measured in at 6-1 and 205).

The lack of aggressive coverage on the outside at these All-Star Games will keep Desir from showing off the full depth of his game, but it gives him another shot to boost his draft profile.

Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming: Hey, another receiver for this loaded class. Herron’s been one of my favorite under-the-radar guys at the position since before the season began, and he exceeded expectations with a 72-reception, nine-touchdown year. Events like this one and the combine are built for guys like Herron, because he can absolutely fly.

Ja’Wuan James, OT, Tennessee: Began the week by measuring in at 6-6 and 315, with a 33 3/8-inch arm length. That last number will fall in the middle of the offensive linemen pack come the combine, but the size should keep him in the early-round mix for teams hunting for talent at the tackle position. James spent his Tennessee career at right tackle — part of why he’s fallen in Antonio Richardson’s shadow heading into draft workouts — but he might have a future on the left side.

Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee: Another Vol, McCullers checked in at 6-6 and a massive 348 pounds (which actually is down from earlier playing weights). He also recorded the widest Senior Bowl wingspan: 85.5 inches. Now, can any team get him to translate that tantalizing combination of physical gifts into consistent play on the field?

That’s the question with McCullers, who struggled to keep his motor revved up during his college days. Still, there are very few able-bodied guys with the sort of girth McCullers possesses — that’s one of the reasons Louis Nix III is a possible top-20 pick.

Michael Sam, OLB, Missouri: While Attaochu’s DE position at the Senior Bowl might help his draft hopes, Sam being locked in as an outside linebacker may move the needle the opposite direction. Odds are that’s where the 6-2 Sam will wind up — as a pass-rushing OLB in a 3-4 defense. However, he played DE for Missouri and, like Attaochu, his best attribute is his ability to get to the quarterback (11.5 sacks in 2013). Asking him to drop in coverage to play a full linebacker role this week could make Sam’s Senior Bowl week tough.

Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia: Worried that Sims is too small to make the NFL leap? Well, he came in at 5-11, 214 during the Senior Bowl weigh-ins and measurements — or, exactly what Montee Ball hit on both numbers at the combine. Ball, of course, is still in the midst of a solid rookie season with the Broncos.

Sims is a different style back than the between-the-tackles Ball. He likes to swing wide and turn the corners, and he averaged 50.8 catches over his four college seasons. Combine the versatility with that solid body type and you’ve got one of the draft’s biggest sleepers.

Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State: The Will Sutton Weight Watch continued early in Mobile. His official numbers on Monday: 315 pounds and a little under 6-1. That’s up — way up — from the 267 pounds that the school said he played at in 2012. He added about 20 pounds prior to the 2013 season in an effort to anchor better along the interior, and now he’s continued to pile on weight in hopes of solidifying himself at a DT spot in the NFL.

But his performance dipped with the added pounds this season, so turning some of that bulk into lean muscle might be the key for him between now and the combine.

Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State: Another small-school guy, Turner probably could have started at tackle for just about every FBS team this year. He stands 6-6 and 316 pounds, which constitutes a great starting point for an NFL lineman. He may wind up at guard at the next level if he cannot clean up his blocking technique a bit, but he showed plenty as an OT for the Bison.

Kyle Van Noy, DE/OLB, BYU: Van Noy will play linebacker this week — news to the ears of 3-4 teams hoping to land him for an outside spot. Assuming he shows off decent abilities there at the Senior Bowl, then follows it up by performing well in speed drills at the combine, Van Noy could cement himself as a Day 2 prospect or better. Bulking up and moving to 4-3 DE might be a stretch, so how he shows as a Senior Bowl linebacker will go a long way toward determining where he lands.

You know what? I've spent a little time looking, and I can't find a single picture of Geno with his hat crooked, his pants hung low, his boxers showing, or wearing any gold chains, much less huge ones.

I think you're just a racist.

You know what? I've spent a little time looking, and I can't find a single picture of Geno with his hat crooked, his pants hung low, his boxers showing, or wearing any gold chains, much less huge ones.

I think you're just a racist.

Dont they always show him on the sidelines with his Jet hat that looks 3 sizes too big, and on crooked? Maybe, I'm thinking of someone else but I thought it was him.

The accusation I will simply ignore. sorry.

Hmm........

I never anointed him MY savior.  I can't stand the kid.  I was pro Simms once I saw his rocket arm. 

Geno has the physical tools, I guess...nothing mind blowing to me.  But he lacks the "it" factor you see in a franchise guy.  However, I wouldn't mind drafting a couple mid round prospects and picking up a FA, just to see what really shakes out.  Geno is the perfect backup in my mind, a la Aaron Brooks.  I want a fersure thing outta my first round QBs, and Gallapagus just isn't that for me, yet. 

I never anointed him MY savior.  I can't stand the kid.  I was pro Simms once I saw his rocket arm. 

Geno has the physical tools, I guess...nothing mind blowing to me.  But he lacks the "it" factor you see in a franchise guy.  However, I wouldn't mind drafting a couple mid round prospects and picking up a FA, just to see what really shakes out.  Geno is the perfect backup in my mind, a la Aaron Brooks.  I want a fersure thing outta my first round QBs, and Gallapagus just isn't that for me, yet. 

I believe its Galapagos ( where I believe Mendel discovered the theory of Evolution), but thats a very funny "nickname" for the kid.

I agree, Geno is a great backup (not kidding), he could be that change of pace type that comes in, that may get a defense off blanace for a few plays, but a FRANCHISE guy, never.

We all want the "for sure" guy, and do I believe Garoppolo is that guy? More than likely not, but am I willing to give him a shot? Sure. After Brady and the 6th round, anything is possible.

Archived