The Scotch/Bourbon/Rye/Whiskey Thread

Warfish

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get a lot of great rye in the $20-30 range. It is thankfully one of the few liquors that thankfully hasn't gone price crazy in the recent surge in demand for spirits. I'm not a huge Bulleit fan but it is a good product at its price. I would spend the extra $5 and pick up Rittenhouse, Redemption or Whistlepig. If you can find Sazerac 6 at a good price then it is worth it. Templeton Rye is my #2 favorite rye but it's slightly more expensive. Worth the price IMO.

Best rye I've ever come across is Ranger Creek .44 Texas Rye out of San Antonio. Incredibly smooth but also extremely flavorful. However, there's no way in hell I am paying $70 for a bottle of rye when I can get a 15 or 18 year scotch for the same price locally.

Where can you find Whistlepig for under $70?

Tonights Menu:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old 46%

Talisker Storm 45.80%

Redbreast 12 Year Old 40%

Aberlour a'Bunadh Batch 48 59.70%

Ardbeg 10 Year Old 46%

Catoctin Creek Organic Roundstone Rye 40%

I do enjoy that Redbreast.  Great Irish whisky, just a wee bit expensive for my everyday.

If you had $200 to spend on a single bottle what would you buy?

Depending on where you are, possibly Talisker 18, Highland Park 24, Strathisla 25 Gordon & McPhail (if you can find it).

I bought this for Christmas.  I'd heard it would be nigh impossible to find it anywhere, but suddenly it appeared in my shop.

uie.jpg

Well worth the $100

Wheat Whisky = VERY Mild Whisky

I'd like to try this:

dryflywhiskey.jpg

A single-malt wheat whisky, almost like a Unicorn it's so unusual and rare a thing.

I hear it's spectacular, actually.

Their gin is supposedly really great too.  Been wanting to try it but I don't think it's in our market.

I hope you picked up something "Travel Retail Exclusive".

When traveling, never buy something you can just as easily buy at home.

Always check for travel retail exclusives, special bottlings, etc.

These days almost all of the big distilleries offer them, and the airport (for international travelers) is about the only place you can get them.

Hope you made a good choice.

I never took to those whiskies for some reason. 3-4 years back Johniw Walker Double Black was launched as a travel retail exclusive. It must have been successful to because you can now find it at all major world airports for the past 3-4 years. But i hated it. So i stick to known products and expert recommendations.

I never took to those whiskies for some reason. 3-4 years back Johniw Walker Double Black was launched as a travel retail exclusive. It must have been successful to because you can now find it at all major world airports for the past 3-4 years. But i hated it. So i stick to known products and expert recommendations.

Well, JW is a bad example IMO, it's a blend, and it's mass-market, designed to appeal to a broad group (which generally means it will lack character and focus on being "smooth").

I certainly didn't mean you have to buy some market-leader Glenfiddich or Glenlivet thing (although some of their travel exclusives are very well thought of).  Heathrow has one of the best ranges of Whisky available in it's "World of Whisky" shop.  Plenty of smaller distillery stuff too.

So....what did you get? :)

I got a bottle of this for Christmas. Does it count?

Moonshines-Midnight-Moon-Ap.jpg

Sure it counts, it's whisky (white whisky and flavored white whiskey respectively).

Same way a Wine Cooler technically "counts" as beer, since both are "malt beverages" :) 

That stuff is hugely popular, but it's more of a lack of taste/ability to be mixed and not tasted, than for it's own inherent character/flavor.

Well, JW is a bad example IMO, it's a blend, and it's mass-market, designed to appeal to a broad group (which generally means it will lack character and focus on being "smooth").

I certainly didn't mean you have to buy some market-leader Glenfiddich or Glenlivet thing (although some of their travel exclusives are very well thought of).  Heathrow has one of the best ranges of Whisky available in it's "World of Whisky" shop.  Plenty of smaller distillery stuff too.

So....what did you get? :)

I ended up getting Macallan Fine Oak Single Malt 15 year old. It's difficult to find that one close to me in Denver and i loved the last one i tried.

Shops like "World of Whisky" is  what i like about this international airports. Its llike an adult candy shop and one can spend a decent amount of time in there.

I ended up getting Macallan Fine Oak Single Malt 15 year old. It's difficult to find that one close to me in Denver and i loved the last one i tried.

Shops like "World of Whisky" is  what i like about this international airports. Its llike an adult candy shop and one can spend a decent amount of time in there.

Can't beef about choosing a Macallan.  The Fine Oak is their Non-Sherried range, is it not?

I have to admit, I've only ever had the standard edition (12 year old I think). 

I agree completely about the "adult candy store", perfect description!

For the Scotch guys:  How does a person 'approach' scotch?  I prefer bourbon for its smoothness and hints of corn/vanilla.

I'd like to know how to appreciate scotch, but to me its like an IPA beer.  I can't get past the acrid, almost offensive flavor. 

Should I be 'ignoring' that strong flavor to appreciate something more subtle 'hiding' beyond it?  Or is that bold slap in the face part of what you seek?

I'm really not trying to be funny, I've just never understood what to appreciate.

-------------------------

As for bourbon, thanks to the guys who suggested Woodford Reserve.  I got myself a bottle for xmas.  I spent some downtime last week in my recliner, by my fireplace, with a highball glass of WR on the rocks,  reading 'The Martian'.  I felt like Ward flipping Cleaver.  Most relaxing couple of evenings I've had in years.

That perceived sweetness comes mostly from the use of corn, and the use of freshly charred new virgin oak barrels.  You're unlikely to get a corn/sweetness from a Scotch, given the use of only barley, and since many Scotches are aged in used Bourbon barrels, you won't get the same sweetness there either.  The flavor, i.e. the woody, oaky, tannic flavor in most scotches is part of the desired flavor profile.

Single-Malt Scotch is also intended to be a flavor-bomb.  Bourbon, on the other hand, is often blended (using multiple casks in house) to create a smoother, sweeter flavor. 

With that said, Scotch has a wide range of flavors, from subtle, floral and sweet of a Lowland to the blast of sooty smoke of an Islay.  Then consider age, with younger whisky taking in less oak influence than older offerings.  Then consider secondary cask finishing, like a portwood finish (aged for some portion in Portugese Port Pipes) or Sherry aging/finishing (in Spanish Sherry casks).

None will be as overpoweringly sweet as an American Bourbon.  But some may still be to your tastes, the only way to know is to continue to try a range of styles and distilleries.

I would suggest the following:

1. Auchentoshan 12 Year Old.  A Lowland Scotch, triple distilled, and a good example of the lighter, floral/fruity style of lowland Scotland.  Quite drinkable.  ~$30-35 US.

2. Glen Dronach 15 Year Old.  A pure, old school, Sherry bomb of a Whisky.  Aged (as far as I know) the entire 15 years in used Sherry Casks, this is about as "sweet" as a Scotch gets IMO.  ~$75-100 US.

3. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 year Old.  A Port-Finished Scotch, also IMO a "sweet" scotch due to the port wine finish, and one of my own favorites.  ~$40-45 US

I am sure there are a myriad of other options, but I'll stick to recommending ones I've owned and finished bottles of myself.

If you're not into smoke, stay away from pretty much anything from Islay (an Island in Scotland known for it's Peat Smokey Whisky) and much of the Highlands (also commonly peated).

At the end of the day, it's 100% ok if you just don't enjoy the flavor of Scotch and prefer Bourbon.  I myself am the opposite, I enjoy Scotch, but an not a fan of Bourbon (I prefer American Rye Whisky).  You're beer analogy is spot on, I have never, ever, felt bad that I loathe IPA and that hoppy flavor that comes with it.  I like Porter, and especially Stout, that dark, burnt, sweet, clean flavor profile, and I hate hops. 

Enjoy what you enjoy I say! :)

That perceived sweetness comes mostly from the use of corn, and Single-Malt Scotch is also intended to be a flavor-bomb.  Bourbon, on the other hand, is often blended (using multiple casks in house) to create a smoother, sweeter flavor.

Enjoy what you enjoy I say! :)

Have you ever tried St. George Single Malt Whisky?

Thanks for the info. I have heard that bourbon's corn/vanilla thing is mostly an illusion coming from the barrel, not the components.  I wasn't surprised when I heard it, because Alton Brown said once that imitation vanilla is extracted from the vanillin found in woods.

I might try the port finished variety. Not sure how much of that flavor comes through, but I do like port.

You did VERY well, the Signet alone is worth the pinacle of Christmas gift giving.

I hope you enjoy them my friend, please be sure to swing by from time to time and let me know.

I have few new this winter, only a bottle of Quinta Ruban, first time I have a full bottle (it truly is a brillaint expression).

My shelf is quite full, so need to clear some space before I look at somethign new.

Did buy a nice (cheap as hell) black spiced rum, Kraken, makes for great mixed Dark & Stormy's.

Best wishes to you in th enew year my friend.  I'm still hoping to share a dram with you some day soon.

Got this for a gift the other day. Never had it before and found it to be very good. Very clean finish and nice for sipping. I would say a touch milder than Makers mark. My usual drink.

Bernheim-Original-Wheat-Whiskey-bottle.j

I love that stuff, I 1st tried at a tailgate. Since then I always have a bottle on hand. I don't drink it often but it's nice in occssion. Very smooth.

Nice! That's this year's special edition, right?

Yes sir, 2014 Limited.  Hard to find now, Maryland (literally the whole State) was sold out.

Happily, VA is an ABC State and had a few left.

2015 Limited should be released in a few weeks.  

glenmo-labels.jpg

Yes sir, 2014 Limited.  Hard to find now, Maryland (literally the whole State) was sold out.

Happily, VA is an ABC State and had a few left.

2015 Limited should be released in a few weeks.  

glenmo-labels.jpg

ABC store at Twinbrooke got one sitting very nicely on the "I know you want me" shelf over the cash register.  I tell it, "War said HI" whenever I go in there.

For the Scotch guys:  How does a person 'approach' scotch?  I prefer bourbon for its smoothness and hints of corn/vanilla.

I'd like to know how to appreciate scotch, but to me its like an IPA beer.  I can't get past the acrid, almost offensive flavor. 

Should I be 'ignoring' that strong flavor to appreciate something more subtle 'hiding' beyond it?  Or is that bold slap in the face part of what you seek?

I'm really not trying to be funny, I've just never understood what to appreciate.

-------------------------

As for bourbon, thanks to the guys who suggested Woodford Reserve.  I got myself a bottle for xmas.  I spent some downtime last week in my recliner, by my fireplace, with a highball glass of WR on the rocks,  reading 'The Martian'.  I felt like Ward flipping Cleaver.  Most relaxing couple of evenings I've had in years.

Actually as a Bourbon drinker I think you stated this perfectly.  Same boat.  Well done Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.  Just stumbled onto this thread from a link in one of the deflategate threads.  Glad to have found it...got a few more bottles in my queue.

One of the distilleries I really like that hasn't been mentioned here is The Dalmore.  Their 12 yo is a really good first bottle from them.  Very flavorful single malt highland.

I also saw someone just got a bottle of Aberlour.  That one is pretty good too and more reasonable priced.

I recently started to try some of the Irish Whiskeys as well.  Very different drink but some unique ones out there.  The one I recently found is Teeling.  Very reasonably priced.  It's matured in traditional oak casks but then finished 6 mo in Spanish Rum casks.  I've enjoyed the distinct finish.

Prices in VA are pretty crazy, and honestly the selection at the ABC stores isn't always the greatest.  For those interested in ordering over the internet I'd recommend looking at Caskers website: https://www.caskers.com/

Once you register they send you daily email updates on new and limited batches coming in- a great break in the day.  If nothing else the site also has a ton of information on every bottle.  The quick views give a nice snapshot of history, info, and tasting notes.  Definitely recommend checking it out for any spirits info.

Prices in VA are pretty crazy, and honestly the selection at the ABC stores isn't always the greatest.  For those interested in ordering over the internet I'd recommend looking at Caskers website: https://www.caskers.com/

Once you register they send you daily email updates on new and limited batches coming in- a great break in the day.  If nothing else the site also has a ton of information on every bottle.  The quick views give a nice snapshot of history, info, and tasting notes.  Definitely recommend checking it out for any spirits info.

I'm a VA guy as well, and I agree, VA ABC is VERY overpriced, and selection is far too limited.

Try Montomery County ABC in MD.  Short hop over the river, VERY cheap prices, and good solid selection.

http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/

As for mail order, it's illegal to have alcohol shipped into VA, so I tend to shy away from it, as do most of the reputable online merchants, for obvious reasons.

As for Belvedere Scotch, CPA my friend, you're going to have to tell me more.  I know Belvedere, a Polish Vodka maker......never heard of them doing a Whisky, much less calling it Scotch (which would be illegal, as only Scottish products can use that name).  Please, tell us more!

I'm a VA guy as well, and I agree, VA ABC is VERY overpriced, and selection is far too limited.

Try Montomery County ABC in MD.  Short hop over the river, VERY cheap prices, and good solid selection.

http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/

As for mail order, it's illegal to have alcohol shipped into VA, so I tend to shy away from it, as do most of the reputable online merchants, for obvious reasons.

As for Belvedere Scotch, CPA my friend, you're going to have to tell me more.  I know Belvedere, a Polish Vodka maker......never heard of them doing a Whisky, much less calling it Scotch (which would be illegal, as only Scottish products can use that name).  Please, tell us more!

Sadly I am down in Richmond so MD is not a quick hop for me.  I try to avoid 95 as much as possible.

As for the illegality of shipping, I'm not sure that is accurate.  A few of us here have had bottles shipped in without any issue.  I did a little digging and found this:

From VABC (http://www.abc.virginia.gov/enforce/shippinginfo.html):

Importing Alcoholic Beverages

No more than one gallon of alcoholic beverages (or the metric equivalent) may be brought into Virginia from outside the Commonwealth, excepting shipments to the commission or its licensees, or new residents under special permits.

From WeloveDC (http://www.welovedc.com/2010/01/21/know-the-law-buying-liquor-online/) they break down differences between DC, VA, and MD law:

Virginia state law decrees, “No more than one gallon of alcoholic beverages (or the metric equivalent) may be brought into Virginia from outside the Commonwealth, excepting shipments to the commission or its licensees.” 1 Gallon, as your metric conversions taught you, is just under 4 liters of alcohol. So, cases of liquor are out if you want to stick within the law in Virginia, you’re going to have to buy by the bottle instead, and keep it to under 5 750ml bottles, if you want to be within the law.

From LoveScotch (http://www.lovescotch.com/shipping-policy.php)

Please see the list below of states we are prohibited from shipping to:

• Georgia
  • Michigan
  • New Hampshire
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Utah

I also dug a little on the Caskers site.  There are filters you can place on shipping destination.  For instance, when I filter by MD or Utah, the search comes up with a "No products match your criteria".  Actually you can still buy a whisky guide, but nothing liquid).  When I switch to VA, I get a full list.  I have not tried to buy more than 5 bottles, so not sure if it actually restricts volume.  The co-founders also graduated from Harvard Law School, so I'm guessing they've done their research.

Incidentally, it's also no more legal to buy a bunch of bottles in MD or DC and drive it in.  From Virginia Places (http://www.virginiaplaces.org/alcohol/abc.html):

To limit that competition, Section 3VAC5-70-10 of the Virginia Administrative Code prohibits importing more than one gallon of alcoholic beverages from outside the state or from military posts with PX stores. Many Virginians working in Washington DC who plan to "stock up with cheap liquor for a party" have heard rumors of ABC agents staking out DC liquor stores, then tailing cars with Virginia plates back across the Potomac River to enforce the one-gallon import limit...

Interesting, as a number of places I checked said VA banned in-shipping.

For example, BevMo is a huge online retailer, and their site says:

Spirits and Beer Shipping Not Availableclose
Sorry! Unfortunately, due to shipping restrictions we cannot ship Spirits and Beer to the state of Virginia. If you’d like to pick up this order, please change your fulfillment location (in the “View inventory available for” drop down) to "Pick Up". 

We can ship Wine to select states. Please check our map for where we can ship. 

We can ship Accessories, Foods, Non Alcoholic Beverages to all 50 states.

A few other places (lost to memory now, was a while back) had similar messages, allowing shipping to other states, but saying VA was not permitted.

I'll have to check a few other places, becaue shipping would be a great option for the harder to find items and favored distilleries in Scotland you just can't get here (OR in MD).

See, here we go (knew Iw asn't crazy):

From the famous Astor in NY:

PROHIBITED STATES

Due to restrictive regulations, we cannot accept orders for shipment to the following locations:
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia

We do not ship internationally.

Archived