Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

So I made my first real crappy video on ShareFactory on the PS4, stitching together clips of my various adventures (with Curie, mostly) in Fallout 4. Some of the clips I added in I didn't edit properly and they are too long, but it's my first one. Most of the clips are glitches with some other random stuff I guess.

Anyway I figure some of you might take a look (or not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GseWACsS3jc

god damnit.. a few minutes in and now i want to buy this. 

Enjoyed the first scene where you got your follower shot in the head.

god damnit.. a few minutes in and now i want to buy this. 

Enjoyed the first scene where you got your follower shot in the head.

LOL, yeah thankfully I don't think your followers can die.

That segments was from a pretty cool section in an abandoned parking garage. There are two doors, you only get to loot one of them. If you open the second, the loot inside is destroyed. Curie found out the hard way lol. 

Picked up Dead Space 3 a few days ago; anyone played it? The graphics are great and the game play is pretty intense. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it so far. The weapon upgrade system is kind of confusing, though. Also, it seems like they nerfed my favorite weapon, the plasma cutter. It's just not that great of a gun in this one. 

The main female character is quite the cutie as well. 

sonita-5.png

I have to admit to some xbox one buyers remorse.  I thought it would play more cool 360 games but most of the games are geared to kids older than my son.  I have looked at all the games and can only find 7 I want

boo

Edited by Larz

I have to admit to some xbox one buyers remorse.  I thought it would play more cool 360 games but most of the games are geared to kids older than my son.  I have looked at all the games and can only find 7 I want

boo

Wii U is probably better for your son, but you bought a XBOX ONE to play 360 games? 

Wii U is probably better for your son, but you bought a XBOX ONE to play 360 games? 

no, got it for my son, but was hoping for some 360 flying games for me like ace combat as One has none.  didn't realize a lot of  the games were bloody shooters.  I may get halo, but if I got a bloody shooter game my wife would heave it in the trash

the chick at gamestop recommended the One so I don't have to upgrade in 2 years, but its kind of a drag having 7 games I can have and like with a 10 year old player in the house

no, got it for my son, but was hoping for some 360 flying games for me like ace combat as One has none.  didn't realize a lot of  the games were bloody shooters.  I may get halo, but if I got a bloody shooter game my wife would heave it in the trash

the chick at gamestop recommended the One so I don't have to upgrade in 2 years, but its kind of a drag having 7 games I can have and like with a 10 year old player in the house

Yeah, a lot of games these days are shooters, or at least have some kind of a major shooting element to them. It's tough. I have kids in the house and my wife gets mad when I play Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead games around them. I respond by saying that zombies are the Cleveland Browns of video game enemies; no one is scared of them and they're more funny than anything. She's still got a point, though. 

Did you look through the Xbox Arcade? There are lots of nonviolent or relatively nonviolent games in there that you can download. Most have free demos you can try, too. I've found a few good games I can play along with the kids. Minecraft is a good one. That game is a lot of fun for just about any age. There's also Rayman, Zoo Tycoon or any of the Lego games. You're right, there aren't really any flight-sim games, but there seems to be a demand out there for them so maybe a third-party developer will come up with something soon. 

There's definitely a lack of relative violence-free games out there right now, though. Hopefully that will change in the next year or two. You were right to upgrade your system, though. The 360 is basically old hardware now and they're not making anything new for it unless it's a big-title game. In the meantime the only advice I can give is to scour the Arcade and try some stuff out. 

Yeah, a lot of games these days are shooters, or at least have some kind of a major shooting element to them. It's tough. I have kids in the house and my wife gets mad when I play Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead games around them. I respond by saying that zombies are the Cleveland Browns of video game enemies; no one is scared of them and they're more funny than anything. She's still got a point, though. 

Did you look through the Xbox Arcade? There are lots of nonviolent or relatively nonviolent games in there that you can download. Most have free demos you can try, too. I've found a few good games I can play along with the kids. Minecraft is a good one. That game is a lot of fun for just about any age. There's also Rayman, Zoo Tycoon or any of the Lego games. You're right, there aren't really any flight-sim games, but there seems to be a demand out there for them so maybe a third-party developer will come up with something soon. 

There's definitely a lack of relative violence-free games out there right now, though. Hopefully that will change in the next year or two. You were right to upgrade your system, though. The 360 is basically old hardware now and they're not making anything new for it unless it's a big-title game. In the meantime the only advice I can give is to scour the Arcade and try some stuff out. 

thanks !

I got the lego movie bundle with lego marvel superheroes and minecraft for xmas morning, then when I realized forza5 was on sale downloaded that sucker same day !  lol..   we have the tank game and zheroes and another game so good I can't think of it

yeah we live 5 miles from sandy hook elementary, boys playing shooters is a touchy subject around here. 

my son is really getting into football, so madden will probably be coming soon. 

can I ask you a question about halo ?  is there a version with a single player campaign mode or is it all online multiplayer with 13 year olds who will kick my ass ?

Edited by Larz

Soooooo....broke down and picked up Fallout 4. Have played it for a little over an hour. I appreciate the old-school feel with the dialogue cut-scenes and the old-school targeting system, etc....but please tell me that once you power up enough that combat improves drastically and you're not sitting there having to shoot a dog or a moth three times with a shotgun to kill it. 

Soooooo....broke down and picked up Fallout 4. Have played it for a little over an hour. I appreciate the old-school feel with the dialogue cut-scenes and the old-school targeting system, etc....but please tell me that once you power up enough that combat improves drastically and you're not sitting there having to shoot a dog or a moth three times with a shotgun to kill it. 

Trust me once you invest in your perks it definitely improves - it also depends on what difficulty you are on as well.

You can switch up the difficulty at any time. 

Personally I'm a bit of a wuss so I always have the slider more on the easy side...but with the perks and weapons I have now the game is getting too easy, so I'm going to have to increase the difficulty.

It definitely picks up, depending how you play (melee, shooter), invest wisely in attributes, create some mods for your weapons and gather up some amour. Don't over look 'Luck' and 'Charisma' they really help in the leveling up process. 

thanks !

I got the lego movie bundle with lego marvel superheroes and minecraft for xmas morning, then when I realized forza5 was on sale downloaded that sucker same day !  lol..   we have the tank game and zheroes and another game so good I can't think of it

yeah we live 5 miles from sandy hook elementary, boys playing shooters is a touchy subject around here. 

my son is really getting into football, so madden will probably be coming soon. 

can I ask you a question about halo ?  is there a version with a single player campaign mode or is it all online multiplayer with 13 year olds who will kick my ass ?

I've only played up through Halo 3--never really got into that series too much. But yeah as far as I know they all have single-player campaigns. I'm in the same boat you are; I've never really gone online and played too much because I would get crushed in five seconds.

I've only played up through Halo 3--never really got into that series too much. But yeah as far as I know they all have single-player campaigns. I'm in the same boat you are; I've never really gone online and played too much because I would get crushed in five seconds.

cool, txs !   the tank game we have is hilarious, I drive as fast and unpredictably as I can and as soon as I stop a long range artillery shell slams into me, certainly fired by a 9 year old

It definitely picks up, depending how you play (melee, shooter), invest wisely in attributes, create some mods for your weapons and gather up some amour. Don't over look 'Luck' and 'Charisma' they really help in the leveling up process. 

hey rillo where are you at in this game at the moment?

I still haven't chosen a faction yet as I am at the divergent point in the storyline...I think I'm at level 79 the last time I checked. 

I haven't been able to put it down since it came out.

hey rillo where are you at in this game at the moment?

I still haven't chosen a faction yet as I am at the divergent point in the storyline...I think I'm at level 79 the last time I checked. 

I haven't been able to put it down since it came out.

I think I'm LVL 44 and I guess I'm with the Brotherhood. I took down the institute and the Railroad I believe, but I haven't played much unfortunately. I'll most likely will be playing this weekend though. I hoping for some DLC news.  

I think I'm LVL 44 and I guess I'm with the Brotherhood. I took down the institute and the Railroad I believe, but I haven't played much unfortunately. I'll most likely will be playing this weekend though. I hoping for some DLC news.  

Yeah I'm not sure when that is going to be announced, but I'm hoping for at least 4 installments, like FO3 and FNV. 

Skyrim left me wanting one more large DLC that never came. 

Also, where are these mods we were promised? 

It's going to be awhile I think. I don't think the Creatin Kit for mods has been released yet, so it would be some time after that. I'm guessing XB1 gets them first, then PS4 afterwards - even then I think the mods will be small in scope, but we'll see. 

Edit - and when it happens, you can bet I'll be posting about it here in this thread lol 

Edited by Fishooked

Thanks for the tips about Fallout 4, fellas. I'm Level 7, got attacked by a zombie, shot it in the torso with a shotgun four times, and it still killed me. I'm giving it another hour before I tie it to a brick and throw it through the front window of my local GameStop.

I ran into a Deathclaw at Level 9.  Didn't fare too well.

Thanks for the tips about Fallout 4, fellas. I'm Level 7, got attacked by a zombie, shot it in the torso with a shotgun four times, and it still killed me. I'm giving it another hour before I tie it to a brick and throw it through the front window of my local GameStop.

Well, what difficulty are you playing at? I would lower it before you call it quits though. Those ghouls are no damn joke

Are you using the VATS system at all? It helps tremedously. 

Well, what difficulty are you playing at? I would lower it before you call it quits though. Those ghouls are no damn joke

Are you using the VATS system at all? It helps tremedously. 

So, I stopped being a baby about it and looked up how to modify my armor and guns, and while I still suck I'm at least carrying a gun that melts people and I started to have fun committing various murders. It's just difficult to going from the easy savagery of Metal Gear to a more complex targeting and slower weapons-mod system. 

• Upvote 1

So, I stopped being a baby about it and looked up how to modify my armor and guns, and while I still suck I'm at least carrying a gun that melts people and I started to have fun committing various murders. It's just difficult to going from the easy savagery of Metal Gear to a more complex targeting and slower weapons-mod system. 

I found myself agreeing with this completely and then I was frightened for myself

• Upvote 1

Once you pick your perks to align with your play style you can do serious damage. There are some seriously overpowered guns in this game, my favorite being the Pay & Spray. It's sold by a wacky vendor named Cricket, you can usually find her outside of Vault 81. 

Its a silenced submachine gun that does explosive damage - and if you invest in the explosives perks, the damage increases even more.

Once you pick your perks to align with your play style you can do serious damage. There are some seriously overpowered guns in this game, my favorite being the Pay & Spray. It's sold by a wacky vendor named Cricket, you can usually find her outside of Vault 81. 

Its a silenced submachine gun that does explosive damage - and if you invest in the explosives perks, the damage increases even more.

when you say "invest in perks," all I've been able to upgrade is the SPECIAL ones, except for when I found a book or something that helps me sneak better. 

Also, a weird/annoying aspect is that I'm Level 11 and can hold up pretty well fighting Raiders and even the occasional Super Mutant, but I'm getting butchered by blood bugs and those things that look like giant crabs.

when you say "invest in perks," all I've been able to upgrade is the SPECIAL ones, except for when I found a book or something that helps me sneak better. 

Keep in mind you don't have to just invest in the top row of perks!

Depending on your level in each perk, you can invest in the perks below them, up until you level you are currently at.

Example - if your Strength is Level 5 - you can invest in the perks Level One Through Five below - anything that is unavailable to you is grayed out. 

Edit: perk chart below - so if you are Level 5 in strength, everything from L01 through L05 (vertically) are available to you . 

TmmFFZO.jpg

Edited by Fishooked
  • Upvote 1

Also, a weird/annoying aspect is that I'm Level 11 and can hold up pretty well fighting Raiders and even the occasional Super Mutant, but I'm getting butchered by blood bugs and those things that look like giant crabs.

Those stupid bugs are hard to hit because they are so small. Mirelurks though are the stuff of nightmares. Just wait until you run into Mirelurk Kings....or the Mirelurk Queen. Just shoot the Mirelurks in the face or legs, it's where they are the most vulnerable. 

Keep in mind you don't have to just invest in the top row of perks!

Depending on your level in each perk, you can invest in the perks below them, up until you level you are currently at.

Example - if your Strength is Level 5 - you can invest in the perks Level One Through Five below - anything that is unavailable to you is grayed out. 

Edit: perk chart below - so if you are Level 5 in strength, everything from L01 through L05 (vertically) are available to you . 

TmmFFZO.jpg

Aghhhhhhh no sh*t. I just kept plus-one'ing the top row ones, wondering why I didn't see improvements in my character. This opens up a whole new world for me. Thanks, man