Are the Jets going to get charged for tampering?

bealeb319

Welcom to Pats fan logic interpretation 101, I am your professor Dr. Zaius... let's get started.

"Deflategate"

Meaning: Refers to an incident where the Patriots were accused of and caught using under-inflated (by rule) footballs in order to gain advantage in the playoff games leading up to the SuperBowl. No team has ever been caught doing this or punished for it.

Translation for Pats fans: "Haters hate hating haterade hatederp, everyone does it, the league is against us, it's not cheating, atmosphere, no proof, let's pretend it never happened."

"Tampering"

Meaning: When Team A talks about and/or approaches a player about joining them, while still under contract with Team B. A common occurrence around the league that while against the rules, ins't regulated with any scrutiny at all. Every once in a while a team will be made an example of an has to flip-flop picks in a late round of the draft, or see's a monetary fine, or has to give up a very late round pick. 

Translation for Pats fans: "We deserve the #6 overall pick in the draft."

So, you see class, what we have here is an illogical collection of ******* morons with detrimental inferiority complexes.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Goodell voided the contract and forbid the Jets from signing him?

Is there any precedent for that?  Probably not.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.  Historically, tampering with "direct contact" has resulted in swaps of mid round or late round picks, but more for egregious ones.  Without "direct contact" (and Woody's stoooopid big mouth was NOT direct contact) has there ever been more punishment than a fine? Not sure, but I can't remember any.

I know the NFL currently has officials at the Jets facility investigating but will we actually be charged? If we do get charged how bad can the punishment be?

Rich Cimini surmises it will be a seventh round pick. Of course NOTHING came of Deflate Gate since Kraft regularly bl0ws Goodell but the commish will certainly punish the bad Jets for an innocent (though very stupid) remark by Johnson.

Welcom to Pats fan logic interpretation 101, I am your professor Dr. Zaius... let's get started.

"Deflategate"

Meaning: Refers to an incident where the Patriots were accused of and caught using under-inflated (by rule) footballs in order to gain advantage in the playoff games leading up to the SuperBowl. No team has ever been caught doing this or punished for it.

Translation for Pats fans: "Haters hate hating haterade hatederp, everyone does it, the league is against us, it's not cheating, atmosphere, no proof, let's pretend it never happened."

"Tampering"

Meaning: When Team A talks about and/or approaches a player about joining them, while still under contract with Team B. A common occurrence around the league that while against the rules, ins't regulated with any scrutiny at all. Every once in a while a team will be made an example of an has to flip-flop picks in a late round of the draft, or see's a monetary fine, or has to give up a very late round pick. 

So, you see class, what we have here is an illogical collection of ******* morons with detrimental inferiority complexes.

love the post. It would be kind of funny if we were forced to swap first round picks and then the Patriots lost the #6 overall because of deflategate. (not that it would be funny to lose our pick that high as we can really do some great things with it, I just think it would be Hillarious to get the Pat fans all excited just to rip it right away from them)

love the post. It would be kind of funny if we were forced to swap first round picks and then the Patriots lost the #6 overall because of deflategate. (not that it would be funny to lose our pick that high as we can really do some great things with it, I just think it would be Hillarious to get the Pat fans all excited just to rip it right away from them)

No, that wouldn't be funny at all. That would be horrible for us. Who cares what happens to them.

"Deflategate"

"Tampering"

There were not late picks that were switched but 3rd and 4th rd picks in additon to getting a late rd pick. And in no case was anything as blatant as this by a guy that was just warned by the league 9 months earler regarding tampering. Then throw in that the player in question is a HOF to be and plays for thier most bitter rival. 

Detroit had to switch 3rds due a an assistant coach saying that if the scrubs on KC was cut he would like to have them play for him.  He didn't mention any names or money and had no power to sign the guy if he could!

There were not late picks that were switched but 3rd and 4th rd picks in additon to getting a late rd pick. And in no case was anything as blatant as this by a guy that was just warned by the league 9 months earler regarding tampering. Then throw in that the player in question is a HOF to be and plays for thier most bitter rival. 

Detroit had to switch 3rds due a an assistant coach saying that if the scrubs on KC was cut he would like to have them play for him.  He didn't mention any names or money and had no power to sign the guy if he could!

So, the punishment should be made worse by things like being bitter rivals? I rest my case on the illogical collection of ******* morons comment.

This is one of the strongest case of tampering that ever occurred since Parcells.

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

Telling a member of the media something is practically the same as telling the players agent, Woody got the word to Sean Gilbert without picking up a phone. And no worries that Gilbert was going to be pissed over the jets refusal to sign Revis last year and turning him in for illegal contact. Which nobody would put past Revis Uncle. 

Bullsh*t mon

Pats could have picked up option on revis. If anything Woody's comments gave Pats a heads up on negotiating with revis.

Bottom line Pats could have signed him, and Cleveland was also poised to swoop in

Bullsh*t mon

Pats could have picked up option on revis. If anything Woody's comments gave Pats a heads up on negotiating with revis.

Bottom line Pats could have signed him, and Cleveland was also poised to swoop in

Yes the pats could have picked up the option, what has that got to do with Woody saying he wanted Revis back?  Even if they did, it would stil have been tampering. Chicago re-signed briggs but still got a 6th and a switch of 3rds from SF from them tampering, and this is after chicago called SF as asked if they wanted to trade for Briggs!!!!

So, the punishment should be made worse by things like being bitter rivals? I rest my case on the illogical collection of ******* morons comment.

I think so, yes. They play in the same division, the results are more closely felt.

Yes the pats could have picked up the option, what has that got to do with Woody saying he wanted Revis back?  Even if they did, it would stil have been tampering. Chicago re-signed briggs but still got a 6th and a switch of 3rds from SF from them tampering, and this is after chicago called SF as asked if they wanted to trade for Briggs!!!!

Whatever troll. No offer was made Woody didn't contact his agents it was a reporter that asked him a question. At most woody should get fined. Your team has been caught cheating multiple times while trying to gain an advantage. Piss off. When Brady is done your team will once again become a doormat that not only does no one give a sh*t about no one will hear about them either.

considering it has been a few months since this happened I highly doubt it.

Punishments in the nfl are only handled during the league meetings in march. Deflategate, jets tampering, falcons noise, and the browns texting will all be addressed at that time.T

Talking about deflategate, does anyone have any idea when the league will be ruling on this?

During the league meetings, the last week in March, historically all punishments are handled during this time, Spygate, Bountygate, the salary cap and previous tampering infractions were acted upon at that time. 

Tampering? The Patriots couldnt even afford him. I say woody should demand an apology from the NFL. :-)

Even if they could afford him, they were not going to pay him 20 million for the upcoming season...It was a one year rental....

Talking about deflategate, does anyone have any idea when the league will be ruling on this?

Good or Bad for the Patriots, I expect this Friday in the midst of March Madness.

Punishments in the nfl are only handled during the league meetings in march. Deflategate, jets tampering, falcons noise, and the browns texting will all be addressed at that time.T

So if we make it through March we are in the clear?

So if we make it through March we are in the clear?

The ruling will be in March, They are charged by the pats already, regarding comments made by woody during a presser, so the OP topic for the thread was not accurate. The nfl offices  are investigating them on their own regarding if the jets contacted Revis prior to Tuesday at 4:00 PM. Two different cases of tampering. The league has not said if charges will be pressed on the early contact before the Tuesday FA period. But with Mike Kensil (old jet Director of football ops) leading that investigation, no one thinks anything will come out of it.

Archived