Great read: 3-4 OLBs by the numbers

nico002

I'm not presumptuous enough to think I know more than anyone else and tbh, any of the top 5 guys (whichever one the Jets took, if they do) I'd be fully on board with. They all look good....but just being honest....having watched everyone,throughout the year and then, yes, via interweb, watching all of them as much as I can find (minus highlight reels) I've come away least impressed with Ray. To me... Fowler Jr has the best overall game, Gregory might have the most upside, Beasley is the most explosive, Dupree's the most underrated (to me he has a little of each of the other prospects best attributes....explosion plus the size plus the disruptive force on the field at times), Ray has good quickness and hands, with great explosion but he looks the least athletic, looks more stiff on the field than the others and less of a factor at times when he doesn't get the jump. 

All 5 are great prospects, Just that Ray is my least favorite. TBH, watching a couple of Dupree's games saddled with his combine numbers and what I've read up on him, he's actually my favorite out of the group at this point. 

Agreed. I like all those top prospects but Ray is my least favorite. I have not seen much of Dupree honestly but seems like a lot of people here love em. If i had to choose I think I would take Beasley over Gregory but maybe Fowler over both of them? Either way I really think Jets will go OLB in the draft if they pick at 6. 

I'm not presumptuous enough to think I know more than anyone else and tbh, any of the top 5 guys (whichever one the Jets took, if they do) I'd be fully on board with. They all look good....but just being honest....having watched everyone,throughout the year and then, yes, via interweb, watching all of them as much as I can find (minus highlight reels) I've come away least impressed with Ray. To me... Fowler Jr has the best overall game, Gregory might have the most upside, Beasley is the most explosive, Dupree's the most underrated (to me he has a little of each of the other prospects best attributes....explosion plus the size plus the disruptive force on the field at times), Ray has good quickness and hands, with great explosion but he looks the least athletic, looks more stiff on the field than the others and less of a factor at times when he doesn't get the jump.

All 5 are great prospects, Just that Ray is my least favorite. TBH, watching a couple of Dupree's games saddled with his combine numbers and what I've read up on him, he's actually my favorite out of the group at this point.

Fan-*******-tastic post, even despite the fact that I completely agree with it.

Pass rusher to me comes down to two words: Randy Gregory. This guy is going to be a beast in the NFL. LB size and strength with DB speed and a never stops motor. Worked in off season with former DE Chuck Smith who said, "This guy is never going to be Vernon Gholston. He is the real deal."

I really like Gregory lately, but like him most out of the first round. Huuuuuge ceiling.

I like to watch draft breakdown during lunch and saw Beasley's game against North Carolina. Inside, outside, the quickness, technique, and movement skills are unreal.  Just going from these breakdown videos it's so difficult to see any of the other prospects come close to Beasley.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/vic-beasley-vs-north-carolina-2014-2/

Pass rusher to me comes down to two words: Randy Gregory. This guy is going to be a beast in the NFL. LB size and strength with DB speed and a never stops motor. Worked in off season with former DE Chuck Smith who said, "This guy is never going to be Vernon Gholston. He is the real deal." 

Funny how opinions differ.  He is my least favourite out of the top tier list.  He looks very thin, and his tackling style looks terrible,  Half his sacks he head tackles and is lucky the Qb goes down ala one of the manning brothers.  For sure I have not watched him enough to come up with a real educated opinion but 1st impressions on his highlights he looked great getting there if not opposed to much but in the NFL he will be missing half of his sacks just by poor tackling technique.

Pass rusher to me comes down to two words: Randy Gregory. This guy is going to be a beast in the NFL. LB size and strength with DB speed and a never stops motor. Worked in off season with former DE Chuck Smith who said, "This guy is never going to be Vernon Gholston. He is the real deal." 

Husker fan here who watched a lot of Gregory over the past 2 seasons - I just don't get why people are drooling over this guy.

That's certainly not the Gregory I watched last year. Sure has a non-stop motor , but was only effective rushing outside and chasing down run plays from the backside - that gets neutralized when every OT is a college star in the NFL.

I feel like Beasley and Ray clearly have the best, most explosive first steps of the group. They have a similar game imo but I think Beasley is more fluid, athletic and flexible.

Beasley seems tailor-made to do the base Sam linebacker/nickel rusher thing like Von Miller, Anthony Barr, etc. That seems like where Gregory ought to end up also. Coples and Pace are both crap but Babin can still play. I could see us going this way instead of for an end like Dupree Ray Fowler whatever.

JMO but Ray is my least favorite out of the top tier (five) edge rushers.  Everyone's calling Beasley a one trick pony while Ray gets a pass. 

He isn't getting a pass from me.  He's too small and gets outmuscled in college...that's not going to end well in the pros.

Archived