Great read: 3-4 OLBs by the numbers

nico002

Notice, mostly, all the upper echelon guys have the best verts. Wake, who might be the best edge guy of the whole lot also has the best vert. It's not automatic but there's a connection. 

Beasley 41

Dupree 42

Gregory 36.5

Fowler Jr. 32.5

Ray DNP

Harold 35

Beasley can jump high and run fast but that's it.

When you're just slinging blurbs I don't know who I'm talking to, but he's probably an idiot.

You're talking to me.

Can't rush through the middle, only survives on beating tackle on the outside. He has no other go-to than bursting off the line like a cannon, and when that fails, he's (like I said) a non-factor in the play. Watch him play. 

You're talking to me.

Can't rush through the middle, only survives on beating tackle on the outside. He has no other go-to than bursting off the line like a cannon, and when that fails, he's (like I said) a non-factor in the play. Watch him play.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/02/25/futures-kentucky-edge-men-bud-dupree-and-zadarius-smith/

Watch it the first time and notice how few steps Dupree (No. 2) needs to force the right tackle to open his hips to protect the edge. It's a lot like watching a cornerback cover Randy Moss in his prime and getting intimidated into bailing deep after just a few steps and giving up the first down on an easy stop route

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=600&v=mkuG73ViKGU

Dupree is not only fast, but he's fluid. The open gate of the tackle's hips is enough for Dupree to slip inside. Two steps later the defender is a split-second from swatting the ball from the quarterback.

Two steps. Swat. Fumble

Not the outside! Booooo bs!

You're talking to me.

I'm with you, I'm a film junkie

I'm not sure if you thought I was knocking outside rushing... what I meant was that when Beasley attempts to rush through the middle, he gets stood up and doesn't move forward. Dupree uses his hands and has success rushing through the middle. Beasley literally only uses his speed; so when he goes up against professional OTs who can catch up to him, he'll have a huge problem succeeding. 

And yeah, Dupree is going to be great.

You're talking to me.

Yeah, totally disagree with just about all of this. Hot take.

I'm not sure if you thought I was knocking outside rushing... what I meant was that when Beasley attempts to rush through the middle, he gets stood up and doesn't move forward. Dupree uses his hands and has success rushing through the middle. Beasley literally only uses his speed; so when he goes up against professional OTs who can catch up to him, he'll have a huge problem succeeding. 

And yeah, Dupree is going to be great.

I just swung and missed is all.

Some must be going under the assumption that Beasley wouldn't be able to maintain his weight? As he's gain 20 LBs since seasons end. Just by that alone shows his work ethic. How much can he improve in the trenches with the added muscle mass? Even being under size he did a decent job in the trenches?

Below is an article from former NFL player Stephen White who played a season with the NYJ. I think Beasley is more Von Miller than Bruce Irvin. I'm not going to pretend to be a scout but did play college ball, D3. Anyway he's highly productive, and one of the most athletic players in this draft regardless of position. Draft breakdown also shows an impressive spin move and inside stunts. And let me say this. Being able to beat a tackle outside with pure burst and technique is an invaluable trait.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/6/8135681/vic-beasley-breakdown

Some must be going under the assumption that Beasley wouldn't be able to maintain his weight? As he's gain 20 LBs since seasons end. Just by that alone shows his work ethic. How much can he improve in the trenches with the added muscle mass? Even being under size he did a decent job in the trenches?

The only thing that gives me concern about that is obv steroids. But then again, aren't they all.  So whatever. 

Below is an article from former NFL player Stephen White who played a season with the NYJ. I think Beasley is more Von Miller than Bruce Irvin. I'm not going to pretend to be a scout but did play college ball, D3. Anyway he's highly productive, and one of the most athletic players in this draft regardless of position. Draft breakdown also shows an impressive spin move and inside stunts. And let me say this. Being able to beat a tackle outside with pure burst and technique is an invaluable trait.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/6/8135681/vic-beasley-breakdown

For the Jets, I have what seems to be a contrarian view from this board but the two guys I'd want are either Beasley or Dupree. 

I think Shane Ray is the guy for us. Great hands, balance, fast, can do everything you need an OLB rusher to do on the field....esp get to the QB.

JMO but Ray is my least favorite out of the top tier (five) edge rushers.  Everyone's calling Beasley a one trick pony while Ray gets a pass. 

JMO but Ray is my least favorite out of the top tier (five) edge rushers.  Everyone's calling Beasley a one trick pony while Ray gets a pass. 

i don't know I've watched a bunch of Ray film and i can say that even though he is not a big guy, he can go inside, outside, uses his hands well, has an excellent motor, has actual moves not just beating guys off the edge...i def see him as an osi umeniora type coming out.

i don't know I've watched a bunch of Ray film and i can say that even though he is not a big guy, he can go inside, outside, uses his hands well, has an excellent motor, has actual moves not just beating guys off the edge...i def see him as an osi umeniora type coming out.

I'm not presumptuous enough to think I know more than anyone else and tbh, any of the top 5 guys (whichever one the Jets took, if they do) I'd be fully on board with. They all look good....but just being honest....having watched everyone,throughout the year and then, yes, via interweb, watching all of them as much as I can find (minus highlight reels) I've come away least impressed with Ray. To me... Fowler Jr has the best overall game, Gregory might have the most upside, Beasley is the most explosive, Dupree's the most underrated (to me he has a little of each of the other prospects best attributes....explosion plus the size plus the disruptive force on the field at times), Ray has good quickness and hands, with great explosion but he looks the least athletic, looks more stiff on the field than the others and less of a factor at times when he doesn't get the jump. 

All 5 are great prospects, Just that Ray is my least favorite. TBH, watching a couple of Dupree's games saddled with his combine numbers and what I've read up on him, he's actually my favorite out of the group at this point. 

Pass rusher to me comes down to two words: Randy Gregory. This guy is going to be a beast in the NFL. LB size and strength with DB speed and a never stops motor. Worked in off season with former DE Chuck Smith who said, "This guy is never going to be Vernon Gholston. He is the real deal." 

Archived