NFL : " Mike Maccagnan improves New York Jets with smart offseason " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Deflect as much as you want. I made my point with you. Bye.

What am I deflecting?  Your moronic smilies?  You posted your little plan.  Thank you.  What WRs were you waiting on in this "buyer's" market?   AFAIK Crabtree and Jennings are the only ones left and Marshall had more production than them even with the injuries.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What am I deflecting? Your moronic smilies? You posted your little plan. Thank you. What WRs were you waiting on in this "buyer's" market? AFAIK Crabtree and Jennings are the only ones left and Marshall had more production than them even with the injuries.

Crabtree is most likely a Raider and Jennings is most likely a Dolphin anyway.

Maybe, but they are out there to sign. What will they get? Neither is much of a long-term plans guy.

Oh no! Crabtree would be a decent 4. Really don't want him to come in and take snaps from Kerely. Jennings? His best days are far,far behind him. He left those days in Green Bay. Marshall is obviously the better option loss in production/injured or not. Marshall can be #1 or #2 on almost any team in the league. Can you say that about Crabtree? Hell no. He wasn't even top wide out for his last team. The team that drafted him in 09' for that very purpose. He never blossomed into the hype.

What am I deflecting?  Your moronic smilies?  You posted your little plan.  Thank you.  What WRs were you waiting on in this "buyer's" market?   AFAIK Crabtree and Jennings are the only ones left and Marshall had more production than them even with the injuries.

You did interject yourself in a conversation that you were not part of with non football related stuff.

On the the football part of your post, If the JETS did not get Marshall in the FA when he was cut they could have improved still improved the talent on their WR corps one way or the other. I still believe we could have got Marshall in the FA market if the front office was so sold on him. Heck i hoped they would sign two WR's in the FA market and i would have been happy if they did not pursue Cro specially for the price they paid for him.

You did interject yourself in a conversation that you were not part of with non football related stuff.

On the the football part of your post, If the JETS did not get Marshall in the FA when he was cut they could have improved still improved the talent on their WR corps one way or the other. I still believe we could have got Marshall in the FA market if the front office was so sold on him. Heck i hoped they would sign two WR's in the FA market and i would have been happy if they did not pursue Cro specially for the price they paid for him.

Please stop telling me where to interject myself.  I will post wherever the **** I see fit.  If I feel like it  will do it on scout.com too.

That's nice, but they need to spend money.  With Marshall they got a good player without having much guaranteed money.  I see that you disagree on Marshall's value, but what two FA WR's did you want to target? Most of what is/was out there is considerably worse than Marshall. You have to admit that even if you don't like him.  They didn't pay Cro that much.  The guarantee is small.  I was irate about it when I thought it was $20M guaranteed, but not I am ambivalent.  Harris seemed to get a lot, but if they like him, they like him.  If you wanted to roll the dice on Marshall, why not Fitzpatrick?  He was certainly getting cut. 

- The object of the game is to improve the team and have as few holes in a roster as possible going into the draft.

- The team had a boat load of cap space that they needed to spend this year.

- When looking at moves one has to look beyond quoted contracts and term and look into what they really mean.

The Jets have done pretty well in all of these areas, of course time will tell on player performance.  The last point is a big thing to look at, a lot of these deals the jets have structured so that they can get out from under them with not a lot of pain if they do not work out.

I don't like all the players the Jets have picked up but I do approve of them spending this year.

One thing of interest will be what they do with Wilkerson.  They can use whatever bonus they give him to make up the cap spending they need.  The whole bonus counts as annual cash spending which is what needs to reach a certain level.  If that were the plan, I'd have expected them to work on parameters and be in communication which might have kept him from sitting the OTAs.

I  like to give some credit to people I am talking to unless they prove they are infinitely stupid and not worth talking to.

But i have to wonder did people not find it or  find the post and pretend not to because personal insults are so easy to throw around. Specially by people who have expressed they find comfort in numbers.

Here ya go.

LOL...  all you do in post #68 is tell us what you wouldn't have done. Nowhere on that page do you tell us what you would have done instead.  i.e. you wouldn't have signed Cro, you wouldn't have traded for Marshall... etc.  You don't answer any of my questions as to what players you would have selected instead.  How much you would have spent, how would you have met the spending floor, etc.   Not one.  So now that we've cleared that up, here's another chance to answer the same questions that I asked before (reprinted below): 

So what, specifically, would you have done differently?  What ILB in free agency would you have tried to sign instead of David Harris, because we don't have a replacement for him on the roster?  What free CBs would you have pursued, knowing that Milliner and perhaps McDougle as well, will not be ready to start the season?  Which FS would you have gone after, considering we need to move Pryor to SS,  the position he played in college and was drafted to play here? We all saw how bad he was pretending to be a FS last season.  What are your alternatives and how much would you have spent?  Also, if your alternate acquisitions would have been way less expensive, please let us know how the talent in your choices matches up with what Mac did.  If those alternatives of yours would have been less costly, then what else would you have done to satisfy the spending floor?  Thanks in advance.

Please stop telling me where to interject myself.  I will post wherever the **** I see fit.  If I feel like it  will do it on scout.com too.

That's nice, but they need to spend money.  With Marshall they got a good player without having much guaranteed money.  I see that you disagree on Marshall's value, but what two FA WR's did you want to target? Most of what is/was out there is considerably worse than Marshall. You have to admit that even if you don't like him.  They didn't pay Cro that much.  The guarantee is small.  I was irate about it when I thought it was $20M guaranteed, but not I am ambivalent.  Harris seemed to get a lot, but if they like him, they like him.  If you wanted to roll the dice on Marshall, why not Fitzpatrick?  He was certainly getting cut. 

Feel free to poke in only to be told off. :)

I do have my doubts about Marshall staying healthy  and being able to stay on the field all of next season. One always has to go by the info on hand and his series of injuries last season and the resultant subpar season are not exactly confidence inspiring. Now that he is on the JETS team i hope I am wrong on that but you have to go with you know at that point of time. So acquiring him if the team really, really loved him so much would have been better via FA than wasting a draft pick on him. Specially since he may not be a long term solution to begin with. I highly doubt any team would have been aggressive in trying to get his services. To me that's throwing a pick away. And the way i look at it I value each pick. That's all.

What would i have done ? Now this is a subjective solution. But i would have acquired 2 WR's because none of the young WR's drafted last season have SO FAR displayed any ability to be considered first tier options. One way to go about is acquiring a guy like Bowe. I am not aware of any injury history. Not aware of any off field issues or locker room issues in his 8-9 seasons in the league. He may not necessarily be a great #1 target but as a #2 or #3 he can be very, very productive. He would have added to the talent level of JETS WR corps. And say if we got him for the two season deal Browns gave him, he would not have cost us a lot less and would have allowed us enough time to develop a young WR of our very own from the 2 still remaining from last draft or hopefully the atleast one Top 3 round WR we draft in this season's draft.

The other choice at WR could have bifurcated into two different directions. It really depends on the direction a team think it should go. Decision's based on whether they like next season's FA class more than this season's FA class or not, OR are they focused on developing WR's via draft only OR do they plan to just acquire them via FA and so on.  So one direction could have been a long term deal for one of the younger FA. Here I am glad they avoided the Maclin deal, he got overpaid. OR It could have been still be a one year deal for a FA like Brandon Marshall assuming we did not trade for him and he wanted it OR  any other FA who would be available  for a reasonable one year deal to add depth to the team. Heck the likes of Crabtree are still available (i have not heard him being signed by anyone so far) and who would make a good #4 WR. It's definitely an upgrade of the WR corps till we can get someone young to contribute and would have been a HUGE upgrade over the like of David Nelson/Greg Salas we had last season and we could afford it as well if we were not throwing money at the likes of Cro. Heck, maybe we can still afford it. I could still go on and on but the bottomline is, in a passing league when you cannot pass or haven't been good at it in the past so many seasons because you may not have the best options available at QB, atleast a team can firm up it's weapons to help the passing game along.

Some people just love to be the one to come in and stir up negative nonsense and bask in all the opposition tossed their way.  I am happy to debate issues on the merits, but a debate that consists of whining and moaning with no alternative suggestion even when an alternate suggestion is requested repeatedly is just sad.  Making use of the ignore button has been a revelation.  If the kind of nonsensical blather that is on this thread detracts from your enjoyment of this great site, I strongly suggest utilizing "ignore".  Usually when you ignore the kid in kindergarten that pesters you for attention, they eventually go away.

Maybe, but they are out there to sign.  What will they get?  Neither is much of a long-term plans guy.

agreed !..crabt. has the talent but does not produce...at least not yet...

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Bowles & Maccagnan : Pre-Draft Thoughts

HC & GM Go to the Airwaves, Discuss Offseason Happenings at One Jets Drive

Close to 3,500 Jets Season Ticket Holders participated in the Green & White’s pre-draft conference call on Thursday. Jets GM Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles took a quick break from free agency & draft preparation in order to speak to a reinvigorated fanbase.  Here are some of the highlights…

Sitting Pretty at Six: After taking advantage of financial flexibility in free agency, Maccagnan likes where his team is currently positioned in the first round.“Sitting at (No.) 6 is a very good spot to be in. It does allow us the potential to move up in the draft because we’re not very far from the first pick. We do think there will be good players available at 6,” he said. “And then the other thing at 6, you’re probably going to have somebody slide through there to that pick where other teams may want to come up and potentially trade up for that pick.”

30,000 Feet: Bowles, a successful NFL defensive assistant for 15 years, is focused on the defense, offense and special teams units. When asked about his excitement about a defense that will feature a revamped secondary, the AP’s 2014 Assistant Coach of the Year quickly transitioned to the big picture.“We have some really good players up front.  I think Mike has signed a lot of great players in the secondary too,” he said. “I’m excited about the whole team because I’m not just a defensive coach anymore.”

Tie Goes to Need: By now, you’ve heard of the Jets’ philosophy of taking the best player available. But Maccagnan acknowledged today there are tiebreaker scenarios.“You do factor in need at times when say for example you have a lot of players rated in the same area like in terms of grade and value. Sometimes you can use need as sort of your tiebreaker if you want to go in a certain direction,” he said. “But ideally we’re going to stack our board from how we see them from best to worst.  When our picks come available, (we’ll) make the determination in principle who is the best player available is at that point of time and ideally take them.”

Talent at RB: Most draft pundits have rave reviews for this running back class and  Bowles concurs.

“It’s a deep running back class this year,” he said. “There are a lot of good runners coming out and there are a lot of three-down backs in the draft.”

Mo Matters: While the Jets have shifted their focus towards the draft, Maccagnan says they’ll address DE Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif’s contract after the NFL’s annual selection process.“The agent and Muhammad have their perspective and we’re going to have our point and at the end of the day - hopefully a middle ground that we’re both comfortable with,” he said. “Muhammad is a very good player. We would obviously like to keep him a Jet, but again that’s a whole other process that we have to go through and I don’t want to really get too deep into that at this point of time because that’s something that will work itself out in the near future.”

Wise Investments: As promised, the Jets were very active in free agency. But Maccagnan stressed the flurry of moves were made with both the short and long-terms in mind.“The way we structure a lot of those contracts is in a way to not handcuff us going forward,” he said. “We kind of structured those to kind of give us the ability – in a year or two or even three down the road -when the cap is projected to go up."

QB Four: The Jets are going be careful with veteran signal caller Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif as the former Texan works his way back from a broken leg he suffered last December. While the club will have Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif and Matt Simmsicon-article-link.gif handle the bulk of the work this spring with Fitzy on the mend, Bowles says don’t be surprised if another QB is added to the mix.“We want competition at every position,” he said. “Ryan is going to compete as well as Geno is going to compete.  We hope to add somebody else to help compete with that along with (Matt) Simms.  We are going to try to play the best player available.”

On the Line: Very interesting insight from Maccagnan on the draft and his thoughts of building an offensive line.“I think historically when you look at teams that are successful, one of the things that they do in the draft is they find value in offensive linemen prospects that they can kind of groom and develop. They don’t have to always be high picks,” he said. “A lot of teams are very successful building good offensive lines through the draft through picks from the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round and sometimes even college free agents.”

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/Bowles--Maccagnan-Pre-Draft-Thoughts/06bf1ca6-c7c3-4d09-be1e-0e3cfe3fee3b

Tie Goes to Need: By now, you’ve heard of the Jets’ philosophy of taking the best player available. But Maccagnan acknowledged today there are tiebreaker scenarios.“You do factor in need at times when say for example you have a lot of players rated in the same area like in terms of grade and value. Sometimes you can use need as sort of your tiebreaker if you want to go in a certain direction,” he said. “But ideally we’re going to stack our board from how we see them from best to worst.  When our picks come available, (we’ll) make the determination in principle who is the best player available is at that point of time and ideally take them.

@jgb

Of course this is how the BAP method of drafting works. Stack your board, focus on the best player, and if a few players' grades are very close, break the tie by need. It's neither rocket science, nor deviation from the best available player philosophy.

Deviation from that strategy, or drafting for need, would be when you ignore those few players with similar grades and Instead reach for the player whose position fits your team's greatest need. Which would be bad.

Luckily, outside of the QB position, Maccagnan has done a nice job shoring up needs in free agency, and I'm optimistic that he won't overdraft a QB.

On the Line: Very interesting insight from Maccagnan on the draft and his thoughts of building an offensive line.“I think historically when you look at teams that are successful, one of the things that they do in the draft is they find value in offensive linemen prospects that they can kind of groom and develop. They don’t have to always be high picks,” he said. “A lot of teams are very successful building good offensive lines through the draft through picks from the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round and sometimes even college free agents.”

I'm also very optimistic that this is no smoke screen, and is, instead, how Maccagnan really feels about building the OL. In other words, no first round OL this year. In fact, with all the OL prospects on the current roster, I wouldn't be surprised if the team completely ignores the line in the draft.

When asked about his excitement about a defense that will feature a revamped secondary, the AP’s 2014 Assistant Coach of the Year quickly transitioned to the big picture.“We have some really good players up front.  I think Mike has signed a lot of great players in the secondary too,” he said. “I’m excited about the whole team because I’m not just a defensive coach anymore.”

Bowles already understands and embraces something that Rex couldn't grasp after SIX YEARS of being a head coach.

Archived